Can we finally get an update on 300 sec cd traits?

GewRoo.4172

It's been a while since this temporary solution to most live-saving passives was implemented and I feel like ... well, do something? Some specializations are still completely butchered and unplayable. Thief's Acrobatics for example was such a great spec and idea but is quite honestly useless due to two disabled traits. ALLIANCES Update when?

@steki.1478 said:Meanwhile engi still has 2/3 elixir procs in alchemy with relatively low cooldowns.

The procs from engineer are not really on the same power level as the 300s CD traits, tho.

One gives some boons (might, retaliation, swiftness, fury), one converts 2 conditions into boons and one grants protection + barrier.Compared to a stance, which pulses 2 stacks of stability for 4 seconds, is an automatical stunbreak and also makes you immune to critical strikes for 4 seconds, these elixirs are not nearly as powerful.

@"Psycoprophet.8107" said:Cmc stated in a stream that they are unfortunately there to stay do to the effort required to change them. Clear indicator that the current anet devs do not have the resources for a game the size of gw2.

lol, is it really hard for them to add some minor passive effect like "take 5-10% less incoming damage from weakened foes" on top of the once every 300s effect? If they can fix 4 tooltips once every month, they could at least be able to do this much and "fix" all problematic traits within 6 months.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@steki.1478 said:Meanwhile engi still has 2/3 elixir procs in alchemy with relatively low cooldowns.

The procs from engineer are not really on the same power level as the 300s CD traits, tho.

One gives some boons (might, retaliation, swiftness, fury), one converts 2 conditions into boons and one grants protection + barrier.Compared to a stance, which pulses 2 stacks of stability for 4 seconds, is an automatical stunbreak and also makes you immune to critical strikes for 4 seconds, these elixirs are not nearly as powerful.

Idk, ele has a 3 attack block and prot+stability procs and they are on 300 sec cd. Engi gets plenty of stuff from elixir procs like might/reduced damage as well as heal and none of engi's passive stun breaks have 300 sec cd. Protection procs on low cooldown have pretty high value in a long run, especially when you get other benefits from that.

Ranger trait that also redirects cc to its pet (which works for 1 cc only on soulbeast) also has 300 sec cd and I wouldnt group it with damage immunity procs.

@steki.1478 said:

Idk, ele has a 3 attack block and prot+stability procs and they are on 300 sec cd. Engi gets plenty of stuff from elixir procs like might/reduced damage as well as heal and none of engi's passive stun breaks have 300 sec cd. Protection procs on low cooldown have pretty high value in a long run, especially when you get other benefits from that.

Ranger trait that also redirects cc to its pet (which works for 1 cc only on soulbeast) also has 300 sec cd and I wouldnt group it with damage immunity procs.

Well, context matters I guess.Don't know where you are getting the healing from the elixir passive procs, do you possibly mean because of the trait compounding chemicals, which heals you for 37 for each boon applied?The healing is useful for pulsing boons, but one single elixir proc from alchemy really doesn't heal you much.

Also, engineer has exactly 1 passive stun break in their trait lines: reactive lenses. And that trait is legit never taken by anyone..... Why nerf something that is virtually non-existent?

Also I wouldn't call 100 seconds cd for 3 seconds of protection (Elixir E) "low cooldown".

@"Kodama.6453" said:Also I wouldn't call 100 seconds cd for 3 seconds of protection (Elixir E) "low cooldown".

I think Steki talk about Protection injection 30s CD.

But his sentence is a double edge sword, since elementalist do have quite a few procs of protection on "low cool down with other benefits added" (elemental shielding, elemental attunment or elemental lockdown). Funnily enough, prot procs on "low CD" are also true for Ranger (Protective ward/companion's defense), Necromancer (dark defiance/corruptor's fervor), guardian (steadfast courage), mesmer (illusory membrane) or even revenant (eye for an eye/spirit boon). Even thief can boast nigh perma 33% damage reduction (equivalent to protection) through flickering shadow.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"Kodama.6453" said:Also I wouldn't call 100 seconds cd for 3 seconds of protection (Elixir E) "low cooldown".

I think Steki talk about
Protection injection
30s CD.

But his sentence is a double edge sword, since elementalist do have quite a few procs of protection on "low cool down with other benefits added" (
elemental shielding
elemental attunment
or
elemental lockdown
). Funnily enough, prot procs on "low CD" are also true for Ranger (
Protective ward
/
companion's defense
), Necromancer (
dark defiance
/
corruptor's fervor
), guardian (
steadfast courage
), mesmer (
illusory membrane
) or even revenant (
eye for an eye
/
spirit boon
). Even thief can boast nigh perma 33% damage reduction (equivalent to protection) through
flickering shadow

Didn't think that he meant that trait, because of the add on "especially when you get other benefits from that". Protection injection doesn't have any other benefits, it is nothing but a protection proc if you get cced.

And protection procs without other benefits and low cooldown are not really rare, as you mentioned.

@"Kodama.6453" said:Well, context matters I guess.Don't know where you are getting the healing from the elixir passive procs, do you possibly mean because of the trait compounding chemicals, which heals you for 37 for each boon applied?The healing is useful for pulsing boons, but one single elixir proc from alchemy really doesn't heal you much.

Also, engineer has exactly 1 passive stun break in their trait lines: reactive lenses. And that trait is legit never taken by anyone..... Why nerf something that is virtually non-existent?

Also I wouldn't call 100 seconds cd for 3 seconds of protection (Elixir E) "low cooldown".

Usability shouldnt really matter, you either nerf all or none. I've never seen a warrior using offhand sword, yet its skills got nerfed in the feb patch. And sure, 1 elixir proc wont do anything, but when you have 3 or 4 then you're practically getting lots of stuff for free without doing a single thing. Wvw cooldowns are also nowhere near 100 last time I checked.

@"Dadnir.5038" said:

But his sentence is a double edge sword, since elementalist do have quite a few procs of protection on "low cool down with other benefits added" (elemental shielding, elemental attunment or elemental lockdown). Funnily enough, prot procs on "low CD" are also true for Ranger (Protective ward/companion's defense), Necromancer (dark defiance/corruptor's fervor), guardian (steadfast courage), mesmer (illusory membrane) or even revenant (eye for an eye/spirit boon). Even thief can boast nigh perma 33% damage reduction (equivalent to protection) through flickering shadow.

None of the ele traits are passive procs, they are just regular traits that trigger on other actions. Passive procs are the ones that trigger on low hp, getting disabled or getting hit, like frost aura traits from water/tempest, which for some reason have higher cooldown than all the traits you mentioned.

Btw, I'm not "attacking" engi because I think it's op or something (just mentioned it because I know its traits), nor Im defending ranger etc. I'm just confused that the passive proc cooldowns on non ele classes are extremely low, while also being stronger most often than not. Ele passive procs are crap and they still get high cooldowns. It's not even about ele, the cooldowns for such traits should never be low or the traits should simply not exist. There are too many autopilot features in the game.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Cmc stated in a stream that they are unfortunately there to stay do to the effort required to change them. Clear indicator that the current anet devs do not have the resources for a game the size of gw2.

I keep hearing this about various facets of the Feb update. Anet made half baked work, that shattered a stable game mode, and now does not have the time to fix it. Am I supposed to give them credit for lack of planning, lack of vision or lack of knowledge?

@otto.5684 said:

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:Cmc stated in a stream that they are unfortunately there to stay do to the effort required to change them. Clear indicator that the current anet devs do not have the resources for a game the size of gw2.

I keep hearing this about various facets of the Feb update. Anet made half baked work, that shattered a stable game mode, and now does not have the time to fix it. Am I supposed to give them credit for lack of planning, lack of vision or lack of knowledge?

Nope! U just gotta accept the realization and reality of what support or lack there of anet has given to this game in the last couple yrs and the fact it only has gotten less over time. Regardless of the upcoming expect the future of this game is not bright unless some major things change within the company, of course if ur happy with the mediocre pve content/bread crumbs that have been recent additions than game future is promising indeed.

@"steki.1478" said:None of the ele traits are passive procs, they are just regular traits that trigger on other actions. Passive procs are the ones that trigger on low hp, getting disabled or getting hit, like frost aura traits from water/tempest, which for some reason have higher cooldown than all the traits you mentioned.

Woven stride? 5s CD for a trait that proc on taking a "soft" CC.Elemental bastion proc on a 75% health treshold which is probably enough to justify the 40s ICD. Which is, what, 10s higher than the engi trait that proc on being hard CC? Granting you frost aura, health and every single "on applying aura" proc that you've traited (which can be a lot).

I understand what you mean, but it's a narrow point of view. There is objectively no reason for elementalist to envy other professions' similar traits.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Nope! U just gotta accept the realization and reality of what support or lack there of anet has given to this game in the last couple yrs and the fact it only has gotten less over time. Regardless of the upcoming expect the future of this game is not bright unless some major things change within the company, of course if ur happy with the mediocre pve content/bread crumbs that have been recent additions than game future is promising indeed.

I understand that, but if Anet already knew this is the case, pre Feb sPvP was in relatively stable state, and would have shrugged along fine with minor updates. Why fuck with all sPvP systems, do an incomplete job then claim you do not have the resources to fix it? This is not only a lack of support issue, it is mianly lack of vision and competence.

@otto.5684 said:

I understand that, but if Anet already knew this is the case, pre Feb sPvP was in relatively stable state, and would have shrugged along fine with minor updates. Why kitten with all sPvP systems, do an incomplete job then claim you do not have the resources to fix it? This is not only a lack of support issue, it is mianly lack of vision and competence.

True! But there were constant pressure from the community for a lot a big changes, some needed. Evaluating each class and changing what's needed within each one would require the effort and resources of a adequate sized team which anet no longer has, unlike most other popular mmo's. So the only way for anet to achieve such a large impactful patch with the least amount of effort or resources would be to do as they did, a large thoughtless and lazy blanket damage reduction across all classes. Most vets understood why some players complained about some classes having to small of a ttk ratio but could easily see how destructive a blanket patch like the feb patch would actually be to the game as a whole. Vets also easily should of known how likely anet would adhere to their post patch plans, I knew thos exact situation was likely to happen and am not surprised at all. As much as the community wants to pretend things are fine due to the content still being produced for pve, if u actually look at the mediocre content released over the last couple years its obvious the company is struggling. There wasn't even soposed to be a expac but now their rushing one as a last ditch effort. Not sure made the decision over the last few years to hualt development and fixes to the vast content they've already produced and or abandoned. Honestly anet needs as much as a restructuring as the game does.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@"steki.1478" said:None of the ele traits are passive procs, they are just regular traits that trigger on other actions. Passive procs are the ones that trigger on low hp, getting disabled or getting hit, like frost aura traits from water/tempest, which for some reason have higher cooldown than all the traits you mentioned.

Woven stride
? 5s CD for a trait that proc on taking a "soft" CC.
Elemental bastion
proc on a 75% health treshold which is probably enough to justify the 40s ICD.
Which is, what, 10s higher than the engi trait that proc on being hard CC? Granting you frost aura, health and every single "on applying aura" proc that you've traited (which can be a lot).

I understand what you mean, but it's a narrow point of view. There is objectively no reason for elementalist to envy other professions' similar traits.

The first one, while being right, is just swiftness, which most of the time you already have, and the condition you get isnt even cleansed or anything.

Ele bastion has a reasonable cooldown IMO. The comparison to engi doesn't matter that much since engi gets all the elixir benefits from the same specialization, some even on the minor traits, which is basically no sacrifice. Tempest needs to get various aura traits from other specs to get the best use of the ele bastion trait. And again, it's 1 trait vs 3+. You just proved my point, when you chain all those traits, it becomes obnoxious, which is exactly what's the problem with engi - 1 passive elixir means nothing, but when you chain 3 passive ones + traits from other specs, you get very strong passive sustain while focusing your skills mainly on offense. Similar to warrior pre nerf, one endure pain is a relatively solid defense, but when you chain it with other 3 passive defenses, damage conversion on heal etc, you get an unkillable tank which deals tons of damage (or at least it used to work that).

I'm not saying that ele traits should always be on lower cooldowns or similar, but defensive traits and skills are usually pretty bad compared to other classes. Just compare armor of earth to stand your ground and dolyak stance and you'll see what Im talking about. Game mode doesn't even matter.

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

I understand that, but if Anet already knew this is the case, pre Feb sPvP was in relatively stable state, and would have shrugged along fine with minor updates. Why kitten with all sPvP systems, do an incomplete job then claim you do not have the resources to fix it? This is not only a lack of support issue, it is mianly lack of vision and competence.

True! But there were constant pressure from the community for a lot a big changes, some needed. Evaluating each class and changing what's needed within each one would require the effort and resources of a adequate sized team which anet no longer has, unlike most other popular mmo's. So the only way for anet to achieve such a large impactful patch with the least amount of effort or resources would be to do as they did, a large thoughtless and lazy blanket damage reduction across all classes. Most vets understood why some players complained about some classes having to small of a ttk ratio but could easily see how destructive a blanket patch like the feb patch would actually be to the game as a whole. Vets also easily should of known how likely anet would adhere to their post patch plans, I knew thos exact situation was likely to happen and am not surprised at all. As much as the community wants to pretend things are fine due to the content still being produced for pve, if u actually look at the mediocre content released over the last couple years its obvious the company is struggling. There wasn't even soposed to be a expac but now their rushing one as a last ditch effort. Not sure made the decision over the last few years to hualt development and fixes to the vast content they've already produced and or abandoned. Honestly anet needs as much as a restructuring as the game does.

To be fair, I think the issues have started around mid last year. While I do not like PoF story or maps, same for LWS4, I still think it is decent content. It is afterwards were things began to fall off the wagon. No coincidence, this was after the mass layoffs. I know couple of big timers left and we cannot tell how involved NCSOFT currently is, and how much of an impact (positive or negative) they have. Was the expansion planned or not? We cannot no for certain. What is beyond a doubt is that the game would not have to go indefinitely without new elites.

As for sPvP, I still think the primary culprit is CmC. While he does take a big portion of the blame, whoever green lit the changes is equally, if not more responsible. You do not go to a game in its mid life, throw away 8 years of balancing, start from scratch, and not expect massive issues and backlash. And you most definitely do not implement this until it is fully complete. Putting in the game, what is essentially a beta patch is unacceptable.

In any case, I think sPvP is now a lost cause. I am more interested in good PvE content. I do anticipate EoD to be better than PoF, since we finally have moved away from Hearts in the maps. But man, LWS5 is bad so far. The first 2 maps were alright, but everything else, including the story, has been pretty mediocre. And we are getting hosed on the quantity too.

@steki.1478 said:

@steki.1478 said:None of the ele traits are passive procs, they are just regular traits that trigger on other actions. Passive procs are the ones that trigger on low hp, getting disabled or getting hit, like frost aura traits from water/tempest, which for some reason have higher cooldown than all the traits you mentioned.

Woven stride
Elemental bastion
Which is, what, 10s higher than the engi trait that proc on being hard CC? Granting you frost aura, health and every single "on applying aura" proc that you've traited (which can be a lot).

The first one, while being right, is just swiftness, which most of the time you already have, and the condition you get isnt even cleansed or anything.

Ele bastion has a reasonable cooldown IMO. The comparison to engi doesn't matter that much since engi gets all the elixir benefits from the same specialization, some even on the minor traits, which is basically no sacrifice. Tempest needs to get various aura traits from other specs to get the best use of the ele bastion trait. And again, it's 1 trait vs 3+. You just proved my point, when you chain all those traits, it becomes obnoxious, which is exactly what's the problem with engi - 1 passive elixir means nothing, but when you chain 3 passive ones + traits from other specs, you get very strong passive sustain while focusing your skills mainly on offense. Similar to warrior pre nerf, one endure pain is a relatively solid defense, but when you chain it with other 3 passive defenses, damage conversion on heal etc, you get an unkillable tank which deals tons of damage (or at least it used to work that).

I'm not saying that ele traits should always be on lower cooldowns or similar, but defensive traits and skills are usually pretty bad compared to other classes. Just compare armor of earth to stand your ground and dolyak stance and you'll see what Im talking about. Game mode doesn't even matter.

I would say that you undervalue elementalist and overvalue other professions. If an ele really care to make himself resilient through traits he sure is going to be very resilient. The thing is that it's not something that elementalist's player tend to do, elementalist's players tend to favor sustain and damage over resilience. I'm sorry but I'm not seeing engi getting better things out of those "passive" procs trait than ele get out of it's own. You're really making a bigger deal out of those engi passive procs than they are really worth.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@steki.1478 said:None of the ele traits are passive procs, they are just regular traits that trigger on other actions. Passive procs are the ones that trigger on low hp, getting disabled or getting hit, like frost aura traits from water/tempest, which for some reason have higher cooldown than all the traits you mentioned.

Woven stride
Elemental bastion

I would say that you undervalue elementalist and overvalue other professions. If an ele really care to make himself resilient through traits he sure is going to be very resilient. The thing is that it's not something that elementalist's player tend to do, elementalist's players tend to favor sustain and damage over resilience. I'm sorry but I'm not seeing engi getting better things out of those "passive" procs trait than ele get out of it's own. You're really making a bigger deal out of those engi passive procs than they are really worth.

The problem is that heralds and Guardians do more damage, at range, than ele unless there is a perfectly placed meteor shower that the enemy for some reason doesn't get out of. Ele both has low health and low armor while rev has more health and both are heavy armor.

@otto.5684 said:

To be fair, I think the issues have started around mid last year. While I do not like PoF story or maps, same for LWS4, I still think it is decent content. It is afterwards were things began to fall off the wagon. No coincidence, this was after the mass layoffs. I know couple of big timers left and we cannot tell how involved NCSOFT currently is, and how much of an impact (positive or negative) they have. Was the expansion planned or not? We cannot no for certain. What is beyond a doubt is that the game would not have to go indefinitely without new elites.

As for sPvP, I still think the primary culprit is CmC. While he does take a big portion of the blame, whoever green lit the changes is equally, if not more responsible. You do not go to a game in its mid life, throw away 8 years of balancing, start from scratch, and not expect massive issues and backlash. And you most definitely do not implement this until it is fully complete. Putting in the game, what is essentially a beta patch is unacceptable.

In any case, I think sPvP is now a lost cause. I am more interested in good PvE content. I do anticipate EoD to be better than PoF, since we finally have moved away from Hearts in the maps. But man, LWS5 is bad so far. The first 2 maps were alright, but everything else, including the story, has been pretty mediocre. And we are getting hosed on the quantity too.

^All of this. I wanted an expansion more than anything else, but ANet is clearly stretched too thin at this point. They are not producing quantity or quality and they're rushing an expansion that should have been in the works for years now. With the level of incompetence displayed in the PvP debacle and the weak story content from what was supposed to be the main event (Are you serious??), things are not looking good.