How come are the sylvari able to hear Jormag's whispers?

Morena.4567

Basically the title.

Because ever since Mordremoth times, we've known that the sylvari can't be Risen or Branded because they already were Modremoth's minions and Elder Dragons can't or don't just steal each other's minions. But in Icebrood Saga, sylvari can hear Jormag's influential whispers the same way any other race can. Why is that possible? Is it because of a lore part I missed (specifically a find that once an ED is dead, any other ED can just clam its minions?) or because now Jormag has a portion of Mordremoth's magic and therefore has an access to the minds of sylvari?

I just find it a bit strange that there are no other sylvari-as-dragon-minions except for Mordrem, but the sylvari, especially the Commander, can still hear Jormag's whispers.

Mental magic is not corruption, plain and simple. People aren't being turned into icebrood just because they're hearing telepathic magic.

And no, the whispers have nothing to do with Mordremoth - Jormag was doing this back in GW1.

I just find it a bit strange that there are no other sylvari-as-dragon-minions except for Mordrem, but the sylvari, especially the Commander, can still hear Jormag's whispers.

Technically, the Facets created by Glint are similar to sylvari, but were born with less free will / intelligence. They're "purified dragon minions" just like sylvari.

Technically, the Facets created by Glint are similar to sylvari, but were born with less free will / intelligence. They're "purified dragon minions" just like sylvari.do we know that for sure? that the Facets are purified? I've always thought the Facets were just the product of ANet being too lazy to create new models.

Mordremoth is dead. Central Hive mind of Sylvari is dead. Just like Kralkatorrik took hive mind and undead abilities from dead dragons, so does Jormag. But, if you pay attention to lore, it seems Jormag been able to do that in his own way before Mordremoth's death. Mordremoth's death might enhanced that ability of Jormag.

Sylvari are their own Sentient beings now. No longer minions of Elder Dragon, and might not have immunity they had before.

@"Morena.4567" said:

Technically, the Facets created by Glint are similar to sylvari, but were born with less free will / intelligence. They're "purified dragon minions" just like sylvari.do we know that for sure? that the Facets are purified? I've always thought the Facets were just the product of ANet being too lazy to create new models.

Technically, Glint is the purified dragon minion and the Facets are her creations.They aren't bound to Kralkatorrik, because Glint herself is free.So, if anything, Glint would be the better comparison to Sylvari.

The whispers of Jormag have nothing to do with being a dragon minion or not.We have heard the Mouth and Eyes of Zhaitan talk in place of the dragon.Jormag basically does the same, just with direct control.

@Aeon.4583 said:Sylvari are their own Sentient beings now. No longer minions of Elder Dragon, and might not have immunity they had before.As we have seen with Caithe and Aurene, Sylvari can be corrupted by other dragons now.And yes, it is corruption, even if Caithe calls it something different.

I agree with most of you, I definitely do and also personaly hoped for sylvari being corruptable because of Mordremoth not being around anymore, but of all things, I'm really interested if this was confirmed on any level by devs or in the game? (by "this" I mean sylvari (or any other dragon minions) being vulnerable to other Elder Dragons now only after Mordremoth's (or in generally their master's) death)

@"Morena.4567" said:I agree with most of you, I definitely do and also personaly hoped for sylvari being corruptable because of Mordremoth not being around anymore, but of all things, I'm really interested if this was confirmed on any level by devs or in the game? (by "this" I mean sylvari (or any other dragon minions) being vulnerable to other Elder Dragons now only after Mordremoth's (or in generally their master's) death)

No, there hasn’t been any confirmation, will definitely be a topic to ask if they ever do a lore q/a again

• 1 month later...

After the Ziya event there's no reason to expect any dragon's capabilities to follow rules, they exist outside of boundaries like this.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Defeat_the_Branded_djinn_VemyenZiya the Radiant: A convincing illusion. You want me to pity you. But everyone knows djinn can't be Branded.Vemyen: (roar)Ziya the Radiant: No. That's not possible!

I don't think it's quite the same as Mordremoths mind magic.

We're not connected to Jormag like the Sylvari were to Mordremoth, we can only hear Jormag's whispers when we are in range of it's Mouthpiece Champions that serve as Voice's of Jormag.I'm not sure if it's clear how this works but I think it was hinted at somewhere that Jormag uses the wind somehow to whisper to people.. or at least it appears that way.The closer you get to a Voice of Jormag as well the stronger it's voice becomes.

• 2 weeks later...

silvari are protected by the dream, but that protection is not absolute. caithe gave herself willingly to aurene, scarlet was a soundless that got stuffed into a mashine. that silvari that took down the zephyrites was also a soundless. makes it look like the dream is a choice.jormag wispers to you, until you give youself to it, so that checks out, i guess.there was some lorebits in orr or the story(dont renember atm) that said "silvari dont turn when they die, they just crumble to dust", and thats in since launch.