Boon strip needs to be improved across the classes.

Lily.1935

I would avoid giving Engineer more utility based power.Well played Engis of any sort right now are a tough customer as they have good survivability, good sustain and good damage.

Giving them the ability to remove their opponent's boons might cause them to inadvertently overpower all other competition.

Thief could use Boon removal on the AoE front maybe, perhaps a Preparations Trait which turns them into "Instant trigger" traps that also removes boons on trigger, and reintroducing "Trap Thief" playstyle but without them having actual "Traps" (Because Rune of the Trapper is a tumor)

Revenant.... idk I would be hesitant to give them too much but I guess Rev at their core could use Boon removal without relying on Shiro specifically to rip with Herald TN or with Brutality.Perhaps they could put some power back into Staff, and have Staff 2 (Mender's Rebuke) remove boons on hit.

Mesmer needs more Boon control besides Null field, Phantasmal Disenchanter and Arcane Thievery yea.Would be nice to put more power back into Staff by making Phantasmal Warlock (Staff 3) Remove boons.

And nay, Boon Control is not Necro's identity : Boon CORRUPTION is.

I would also like to add that technically, all Professions can have Boon Control through Sigils.But the Sigils all have Interrupts as a condition to remove boons as opposed to just using a Control effect on their target.

It would be a nice thing to change from Interrupt as the condition for Boon Removal to either Flanking Hit or Rear Hit to proc the Sigil better.Of course, the internal cooldown of the effect has to be rebalanced since it's much easier to trigger the Sigil now.

This would overall be a better change because Sigils are also part of core gameplay and having this available to more builds would provide lesser Boon oppression.

@Teratus.2859 said:I'm not against this, though I think all Necro's boonstrips should be changed to boon corruption instead and corruption should be almost exclusive to Necros.

It's interesting, my point of view lead me to the opposite direction.

I think necro's boonstrips should be only boonrips supported by traits that apply specific condition based on the specialization chosen (core/reaper/scourge) and a successfull boon ripped. I believe boon corruption in it's current form shouldn't exist in the game (so, of course, I'm against the notion of this mechanism being exculsive to the necromancer).

From my point of view, it could only be better for the necromancer and the game as a whole if the boon corruption mechanism was scraped to what I suggest. Of course I might be wrong but, still, that's my point of view and I don't think it's a worse point of view than yours. since, objectively, there is nothing to gain from the necromancer getting exclusivity on boon corruption.

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:I'm not against this, though I think all Necro's boonstrips should be changed to boon corruption instead and corruption should be almost exclusive to Necros.

I think necro's boonstrips should be only boonrips supported by traits that apply specific condition based on the specialization chosen (core/reaper/scourge) and a successfull boon ripped. I believe boon corruption in it's current form shouldn't exist in the game (so, of course, I'm against the notion of this mechanism being exculsive to the necromancer).

From my point of view, it could only be better for the necromancer and the game as a whole if the boon corruption mechanism was scraped to what I suggest. Of course I might be wrong but, still, that's my point of view and I don't think it's a worse point of view than yours. since, objectively, there is nothing to gain from the necromancer getting exclusivity on boon corruption.

I was thinking from a view that if boon corruption became mechanically exclusive to Necromancers then it would be easier to rebalance based on the profession rather than the current method corruption works which is X boon = Y condition when corrupted.I'm not a fan of this setup either and would rather see more boons corrupted into damaging conditions with the stack size and duration of the boons factored in the conversion process.Corrupting 20-25 might for example should convert into a big 10-12 stacks of bleeding or poison or something like that.

@Teratus.2859 said:

I was thinking from a view that if boon corruption became mechanically exclusive to Necromancers then it would be easier to rebalance based on the profession rather than the current method corruption works which is X boon = Y condition when corrupted.I'm not a fan of this setup either and would rather see more boons corrupted into damaging conditions with the stack size and duration of the boons factored in the conversion process.Corrupting 20-25 might for example should convert into a big 10-12 stacks of bleeding or poison or something like that.

Please don't nerf warrior more...

But that would be hilarious to do to a warrior.

@Lily.1935 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Every class having a boon strip is not thematically supported. We need to support the idea that choices in this game are meaningful, not degrade them with giving all classes full access to a ever widening pool of skills.

Never said every class.

OK ... my mistake ... still, boon strip doesn't need to be given to the classes that don't currently have it ... for the same reason.

@Obtena.7952 said:Every class having a boon strip is not thematically supported. We need to support the idea that choices in this game are meaningful, not degrade them with giving all classes full access to a ever widening pool of skills.

They managed to give it to warrior so I guess they can very well give it to any profession.

Otherwise, I do agree with Lan Deathrider, before thinking of giving boon hate on every profession, ANet should probably first fix the difference of "impact" boon hate have between sPvP/WvW and PvE. I would say that the necromancer suffer more from this "difference of impact" than from ANet using him as their main mean to restrain boons in sPvP/WvW.

Agreed, if the theme supports it, they can dole it out to whatever classes they want. Still, what I said is correct ... every class having a boon strip is not thematically supported. I mean ... you're a reasonable person from what I can tell ... clearly you don't think giving out more boon strip is a good idea ... and likely for reasons similar to what I posted. Do we somehow think we don't want meaningful choices when we choose a class? I think we do ... and giving many classes the same access to similar tools degrades meaningful choices.

Every class I mentioned has boon strip.

Perhaps I wasn't clear so it's worth elaborating.

The classes that have it thematically support boon stripping and those that don't ... don't. I think with that we agree.

The 'amount' that a class can strip is ALSO thematically determined. You state you don't feel it should be 'exclusive' to necros (even though you acknowledge others classes have different amounts), then go to propose those other classes should have more ... without reasoning other than "necros identity" ... that's pretty weird because the theme of a class isn't determined based on the theme of another ... but let's continue anyways.

So let me flip this around to you: Understanding that boon stripping is based on THEME for the classes ... what is your reason you believe the other classes should have more other than "it shouldn't be their (necro's) defining identity"? You do realize that giving other classes more doesn't STOP boon stripping from being a significant part of necro's identity right?

Let's make it simpler ... what is it about the theme of the other classes that make you feel they are lacking a certain amount of boon strip? and what is the correct amount based on that theme (determined by Anet mind you).

and just for the record to be more clear; I'm not a proponent of the idea without some relevant discussion about some
valid
reason for it to happen. At the moment, it should be clear I absolutely hate the idea of interesting and meaningful skills/effects being passed around to more classes to degrade what it means to have choice in classes because of effects/skills they have access to.

I mentioned exclusively of a specific role. Not the ability to perform a task. I talked about in the past a type of class I called a foil. A foil is designed to keep popular strategies in check. The necromancer has always played this role to lesser or greater success and traditional other classes have as well such as mesmer. Boon strip is a vital too to the foil's kit and my philosophy is that a meta is unhealthy without having a number of foils in the format proportional to the number of builds. There should always be less than the total number of builds but it shouldn't be as low as it is now and as limited to one class as it is now.

OK ... that's your philosophy .. but it doesn't answer my question. What is it about the themes of the 'have not' boon strippers that makes you think they aren't at some correct amount of boon stripping capability ... whatever that level is? it's CERTAINLY not that necros excel at it.

. But with a diverse cast of characters like in GW2 having just one is an issue.

Well, it's not an issue ... because success in this game generally has nothing to do with boon stripping; the lack of a specific skills/effects has never been a barrier to completing content and being successful. It would be more correct to say you think it's inappropriate we don't have more boon strip capability for the classes that have some access to it ... but it's a big stretch to say that's a
game issue

I'm going to put this out there ... I would be
very upset
as one of these 'have not' boon stripper classes if my classes' bandwidth for skills/effects was
wasted
on a increase in boon strip ability for PVE .. it's been pretty clear in this game you don't get something for nothing. I can see where there is a case for this being desirable for PVP ... but the question remains what the correct amount is there. Really, I could see a point to this idea is needed IF there was more mechanics where the effect was needed to be successful. That's just not the case.

There are plenty of skills that could see an improvement. On Mesmer as well. Such as Null Field and arcane thievery. Fumigate with the elixir gun could use some boon removal and these changes wouldn't harm existing builds. There are plenty of underwhelming skills that could use some improvement and plenty of traits as well. It doesn't even need to be any boon removal but specific boon targeting. Like throw Mines could break protection and Stab or something along those lines.

Right .. but 'improvement' isn't a reason to change something because EVERYTHING can be improved. Knowing Anet values theme and choices need to be meaningful ... why and how do these boon strip on have nots get improvement? See, here is really the problem .... boon stripping just isn't that important in PVE ... so there is no argument for wasting resource bandwidth to improve it based on PVE things.

Boon stripping is just one aspect of a Foil's tool kit. And it's a heavily neglected one. It's an aspect of counter play though and in the GW2 landscape it's an important one. Boons are some of the most powerful things you can do in GW2 and I don't think everyone should have corruption like necromancer does but a few extra boon strips wouldn't hurt.

You're putting the cart before the horse ... It's 'heavily neglected' because PVE success in this game has little to no need for boon stripping. You would definitely have more of a case to improve boon stripping on classes IF it was more significant in how people 'win' in this game.

The real path to justify this idea is PVP/WvW, not PVE because in those game modes, boon stripping is part of a successful strategy for winning.

All classes should have a type of boon strip in one way or another. I just find it a lack of imagination that anet has not let classes who do not have boon strip able to do so in there own way.

My though would by letting ele and gurd have the ability to "burn" away boons not so much of a boon strip but a boon duration speed up to where boons tick faster though there duration but with the same boon effect.

There is room for ever class to have a counter to boons be it just a simple strip or some other means. To think its ok that classes not to have any counter play to boons is just a hallmark of bad balancing.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:Corrupting 20-25 might for example should convert into a big 10-12 stacks of bleeding or poison or something like that.

You mean that it would spell the end of sPvP/WvW since pretty much anybody can stack 25 might (Yeah, it's a bit harder since feb patch but still pretty much doable). There would be riots in the whole forum (not just the sPvP subforum), players would brandish pitch and forks, they would ask to burn necromancers alive (And I must say that I would probably agree, there is a good reason why might isn't converted into a stackable damaging condition).

The funniest point is that it would increase even more boon convertion's difference of efficiency between PvE and competitive modes. Which mean that on one side you'd have a necromancer PvE community argue that they are lacking while all other professions PvP player would label them as being broken OP (not very different from what we already have but accentuated nonetheless).

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

It would lolNaturally it would have to be split between PvE and PvP modes for balance much like a lot of condi's, CC's, Strips and stuff are already.Specially in WvW.

Overall it would just give Necros another method of circumstantial condi application to cover for how abysmally inefficient they are at stacking them.. it's more of an issue in PvE than anything and still wouldn't be that much of a boost since most enemies don't self buff to be corrupted anyway.

I actually currently have a very different opinion on this from what I've seen reading this thread, and that's that I think every profession should have some minor boon strip somewhere. Why? because that's really the only way I see Anet ever being able to make boons a fundamental part of PvE design.

Retaliation on mobs for example, which can kill a player in literally (3-5) seconds in PvE if they have a couple of rolling damage effects stacked (like Guardian Symbols, Ele Fields), could be a really interesting tool for Anet to play with to make open world, story and such a lot less brainless - having to watch out for such effects and react quickly with counterplay, while also really only being punishing for already proficient players with good damage rotations, aka the players most bored and not catered to by that content currently.

But as long as some professions just don't have any counterplay available to that and simply won't be able to fight those mobs (and no, I don't think expecting people to swap to a weapon with a Sigil of Nullification for every mob with a vital boon to remove that they might encounter is reasonable), that can't be done well.

I do think Necro's (Spellbreakers, etc.), somewhat themed around that with Corruptions, should be one of the few specs actually benefitting from boon removal beyond just removing the boon, as well as be needed for sustained/heavy boon removal needs, but unless every class at least very sporadically has access to some/one, boons can't ever be that staple feature in PvE that they are imo supposed to be.

PvE could be drastically more interesting if some mobs just had certain boons, or skills applying certain boons, but right now facing a mob with perma Protection for example would just be a spongy annoyance for most classes, rather than an interesting mechanical interaction rewarding players for build craft and awareness.I want to see some mobs going into a rage, applying 25 Might and Quickness and being genuinely dangerous unless quickly stripped of that, other's shield themselves or just come with Protection, others's taking on a defensive stance, or with creative mob design - covering themselves in spikes or such and getting Retaliation, some mob types that keep running around while having Swiftness, but become snared once removed etc.Clear visual cues with interesting and rewarding counterplay, and the systems for that are all in place since launch to never be properly utilised.

As for concerns about "theme", that's imo the weakest argument imaginable, as just about everything can be themed right with some creativity, be it a Guardian smiting boons off enemies with holy wrath or cleansing fire, a Elementalist burning them off or draining them with arcane energies, a Revenant eating them as Mallyx, a Mesmer disenchanting, a Necro corrupting, a Warrior Spellbreaking, a Thief stealing, an Engineer using alchemical concoctions, or a Ranger taming a boon eating pet, or enchanting one to do so with cleansing nature magic, theme really never should or needs to stay in the way of interesting gameplay and mechanics, if done reasonably.

To reiterate though, I do not wish everything to be loaded with Boon removal, absolutely not, and I do think boon strip on auto attacks, like is the case for Mesmer, absolutely needs to go for this mechanic to ever be remotely interesting as active mechanical choice, along with most if not all accidental/passive sources.

But I truly think that with every profession having some active boonstrip in their core kit, no matter how minor, that could have allowed Anet to straight up revolutionize PvE in terms of mob design, enemy distinction as well as player interaction and engagement.

Even if done in the laziest/easiest way possible, like a uniquely themed per profession PvE-only Utility skill, I still think it could go far in improving the game, but for that Anet would have to go back and look at all of the swing a sword and swing it again boring and barely interactive OW and Story PvE content done previously as well (same with breakbars, in addition to boons), and we all know that's not going to happen anyway.

@Lily.1935 said:As the post Suggests. We need more boon removal in the format. This is something that is usually held almost exclusively by necromancer as it is nearly impossible not to run at least a little boon strip. But this isn't something that should be exclusive to them. They shouldn't only be the boon stripper in the game and Spellbreaker is a start but there are a lot of classes that should be strong at boon strip but are quite weak at it.

Engineer, Mesmer, Revenant and Thief all should have much stronger boon removal.

Although I'd also add that the boon strip at the end of the Mesmer sword auto should be removed and put on their skill 3 to keep with consistency as this removed the boon control roll from raids entirely.

Perhaps some might think this is part of necromancer's identity, but I disagree that strong boon strip should be their identity as boons are extremely important across all classes.

But let's discuss.

Actually, I think they need to reduce boon application, and also address control condition spam as well.Too many classes can apply rapidly many full stacking, permaduration uptime boons and control conditions.

I would prefer they limit certain boons to specific classes, and also control conditions; IE,warrior, thief, elementalist are mightguardian, engineer, and necro are protectionetc, etc, by groups of three, Heavy, Medium, and Light armor to keep the mix balanced. Do this with all of the boons, alacrity, regen, quickness, fury, etc and weight all of them so that each class has 2 things that are desirable. Then do the same thing with conditions that affect control; chill, cripple, slow, weakness, etc. Condition damage stacking is it's own problem and would take more time to solve.

At this point, the spam and re-application is so out of control, that I dont find it fun to have 8 conditions dropped in a bomb, or likewise boons. And if they get stripped, they can get re-applied with relative ease. It would be more fun instead of playing the spam game and just answering it with tons of boon strip to just reduce them all together and make them more valuable.

This would take a ton of work and I doubt they will do this... even though they should for the health of the game.

Makes me wish I could play Beta again, but with gliding and ground mounts and have that be the only changes...

As long as Necromancer in turn gets just as easy access (as everyone else) to active blocks, evades, boons, and mobility - I am OK with this.

As it stands, boon removal is the one niche that Necromancer does really well. Pretty much everything else is done better than them by anyone else. Taking that away from Necromancer means that you need to make Necromancer far more competent in all other fields.

@Aplethoraof.2643 said:As long as Necromancer in turn gets just as easy access (as everyone else) to active blocks, evades, boons, and mobility - I am OK with this.

As it stands, boon removal is the one niche that Necromancer does really well. Pretty much everything else is done better than them by anyone else. Taking that away from Necromancer means that you need to make Necromancer far more competent in all other fields.

Fun fact, in pve and WvW there's better boon removers than necro is xD

@Aplethoraof.2643 said:As long as Necromancer in turn gets just as easy access (as everyone else) to active blocks, evades, boons, and mobility - I am OK with this.

Everyone: Boon removal. Most get it sparse, one boon removed here and there. Some, like Spellbreaker, Mesmer, Thief, get multiple removals on a few skills.Necromancer: Boon corruption. Mass removal. Punishment.There, i fixed it.

@Opopanax.1803 said:

@Lily.1935 said:As the post Suggests. We need more boon removal in the format. This is something that is usually held almost exclusively by necromancer as it is nearly impossible not to run at least a little boon strip. But this isn't something that should be exclusive to them. They shouldn't only be the boon stripper in the game and Spellbreaker is a start but there are a lot of classes that should be strong at boon strip but are quite weak at it.

Engineer, Mesmer, Revenant and Thief all should have much stronger boon removal.

Although I'd also add that the boon strip at the end of the Mesmer sword auto should be removed and put on their skill 3 to keep with consistency as this removed the boon control roll from raids entirely.

Perhaps some might think this is part of necromancer's identity, but I disagree that strong boon strip should be their identity as boons are extremely important across all classes.

But let's discuss.

Actually, I think they need to reduce boon application, and also address control condition spam as well.Too many classes can apply rapidly many full stacking, permaduration uptime boons and control conditions.

I would prefer they limit certain boons to specific classes, and also control conditions; IE,warrior, thief, elementalist are mightguardian, engineer, and necro are protectionetc, etc, by groups of three, Heavy, Medium, and Light armor to keep the mix balanced. Do this with all of the boons, alacrity, regen, quickness, fury, etc and weight all of them so that each class has 2 things that are desirable. Then do the same thing with conditions that affect control; chill, cripple, slow, weakness, etc. Condition damage stacking is it's own problem and would take more time to solve.

At this point, the spam and re-application is so out of control, that I dont find it fun to have 8 conditions dropped in a bomb, or likewise boons. And if they get stripped, they can get re-applied with relative ease. It would be more fun instead of playing the spam game and just answering it with tons of boon strip to just reduce them all together and make them more valuable.

This would take a ton of work and I doubt they will do this... even though they should for the health of the game.

Makes me wish I could play Beta again, but with gliding and ground mounts and have that be the only changes...

The major problem with that is Anet would essentially have to completely resdesign half the game/professions. Like if Guardian wouldn't be allowed to have Might, what does Empowerment or Symbol of Punishment, as well as all the Traits like Empowering Might or Zealous Scepter now do? And that's just a tiny slice of one boon on one profession on a few example skills and Traits. Anet would basically have to retool and balance all professions.And even if they could pull that off, how would that affect solo play (beyond possibly forcing everybody to be a Diviner boon hybrid providing their 1-2 Profession boons in group content)? You basically wouldn't want to play anything outside of group content that didn't get the Might and Fury treatment at the very least, which are at the bare minimum essentially mandatory for any solo build.

Honestly I think Anet did a pretty decent job at culling boon and condition spam/uptime in PvP and WvW (where it was a problem) already with the big CmC patch.The problem was just as usual that it didn't get any of the frequent follow up patches that it needed. But Imo that's probably the better way to go about it, as much as I personally like they idea as well of more Profession identity with boons and conditions, I also think that might just be a way too big redesign at this point, especially with soon three elite specs which further diversify any given profession.Boons are just too universal and integral to the game and to all professions.

@Nimon.7840 said:

@"Aplethoraof.2643" said:As long as Necromancer in turn gets just as easy access (as everyone else) to active blocks, evades, boons, and mobility - I am OK with this.

Fun fact, in pve and WvW there's better boon removers than necro is xD

Same in PvE, Necro was never really used for content requiring Boon removal, be it in Fractals or Raids, since it's just too lacklustre as profession over all. Usually it was covered by the Mesmer (boon/tank Chrono) or Revenant (Alacrigade).As long as Necro is just damage, and poorly at even that, it can have all the boon corrupts as niche it wants (which it lost many of over the years already, without getting much in return), there already was never a point in taking it - so if someone is afraid of that adding some boon removal to other specs will invalidate Necro, that ship has long sailed, or rather, was never in port to begin with.

And yes, I agree. Necro needs to be more competent in other fields and actually be designed for GW2, rather than some game that never was.The vulnerability applying, boon corrupting and such "debuffer" role it seemed intended to be just never existed, at least in PvE.