Do we really need Destiny's Edge?

Adonan.8356

I just finished the Tyrian storyline a few days ago, and just started the HoT story. Everyone seems to be worried about Destiny's Edge while I'm here cursing their names and screaming, "We don't need them". Maybe I shouldn't hold onto a grudge like this, but those fools were so blinded by their hatred for each other that they watched the bloody world burn around them. They only came together in the final hour, after Trahearne, the Pact and the player already did most of the work. Sure, their help was welcome in the end, but I'm inclined to think we could have handled things without them. As far as I'm concerned, they can go know themselves, because we handled things just fine before they came along. I'm not sure if this should go into Lore of General Discussion, but I'll move it if needed.

It's been a while since I did that storyline but as I remember it the only people who are really focused on finding Destiny's Edge are Braham and Rox and that's because they have personal ties to them. Your character also wants to find Trahearne because he's the Pact Marshall and was leading the attack, plus it's important to determine if he was affected like some of the other sylvari.

Other characters are no more concerned about Destiny's Edge than the rest of the soldiers who are missing or in trouble, the want to find and regroup everyone.

I will point out at the time of HoT's release, our new group was still pretty unpopular with players and DE was still very much the group a large portion of the community wanted their hero to be a part of. HoT was the final part of phasing out the old guard that was begun in LS1 and LS2 by replacing with an all new cast we "grow" with and by the time LS3 starts, the newer characters are very much the central NPC cast

I think however, you may end up pleased...

Destiny's Edge by the time the MC was first roped into the whole Zhaitan business was already a washed up group which argued alot and went their separate ways.

If yu don't mind spoilers :

! Destiny's Edge seems to have reformed by the end of Core story, but after the events of HoT they were rendered defunct again, with its members either missing, dead, or incapped.!This is why Rythlock, the only healthy member in action decides to form Dragon's Watch to replace a dead Destiny's Edge.!Also, Destiny's Edge was never mentioned again after HoT anyway.

@ugrakarma.9416 said:I never understood the hype around the destiny edge, to me, it seems relevant only to those who read the books or did the dungeons(are they in the dungeons?)

Each story mode dungeon involves some of the Destinys Edge group. Playing them in order eventually sees how they put aside their differences and reunite

Without the Destinys Edge book though, the same issue as arises for anyone who missed LS1 with the new group - no initial attachment or proper introduction to the group as a whole and their achievements (which were considerable for their time)

I never had a strong connection to the DE characters. A lot of the personal story had writing (and by extension characters) that felt very flat to me, and the dungeon storyline was not implemented well as players could easily skip or miss them without it really affecting the personal story, as the dungeons weren’t tied to its progression. It wasn’t until years after I complete the personal story that I went through each dungeon story in chronological order and got the full picture (and even then it’s fragmented at best).

I think time more than anything made me more fond of them. I liked Zojja, and post-core stories made Caithe into a much more compelling character. Rytlock was fine but I didn’t enjoy the overly aggressive personality. I’ve come to like him more through post-core content too, especially Icebrood Saga (S5). For me there wasn’t much to hate about Logan and Eir (but not much to like either). But as a game I’d devoted a considerable amount of time to, I want the characters to receive their due diligence. There’s a S4 plot line I wished DE had been honored in/part of, but alas... A couple DE characters have been mostly retired off screen in satisfying ways and do return in smaller roles, while others not so much.

EDIT: I still think the personal story has value as it does a lot of world building for the rest of the franchise. It could really use some updating to bring it into the 2020s though.

EDIT2: Eir also became more interesting after the fact due to her relationship (or lack there of) with Braham.

@Adonan.8356 said:Everyone seems to be worried about Destiny's EdgeThe reason is simple, they were the protagonistic force before the commander came to be. They were tyria's only hope in a world were all races didn't get along. First multiracial group to ever challenge the minions of the dragons. And that hope was gone when they failed against an elder dragon itself.

I personally care more for Dougal Keane than any other Character that was introduced in the game or the books.I'm still sad he became less than a side-line character.

Post-HoT, Destiny's Edge as a group has no purpose anymore.Half of the Edge is gone for good anyway.

However, the remaining individual members still fulfil rather necessary roles.

I agree, why was it so important to force that dysfunctional guild to reunite, anyway?Zojja did contribute in the end, by designing the laser. Did she need the whole guild for that? Doubt it. Other than that, I can't really think of anything. The pact was fine, with or without them.

I even read the novel, even in that time they were barely functional as a team. Breaking up that guild was inevitable.

On the other hand, wanting to rescue them and Trahearne in HoT made sense, simply because they they and the Commander were good friends by that time. So that was more of a personal issue, not so much that we needed them specifically for some prophecy or whatever.

@Fenella.2634 said:I agree, why was it so important to force that dysfunctional guild to reunite, anyway?Their presence in the confrontation against Zhaitan was supposed to be a morale boost for the pact members.After all, they were considered heroes in the fight against the Elder Dragons.Zojja did contribute in the end, by designing the laser. Did she need the whole guild for that? Doubt it. Other than that, I can't really think of anything. The pact was fine, with or without them.While she designed it, her presence itself was not necessary, outside of the aforementioned morale boost.Anyone could have pushed to button, except maybe Lord Faren and/or that one Asura with the raptor pet (he always seemed a bit dumb to me).

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Fenella.2634 said:I agree, why was it so important to force that dysfunctional guild to reunite, anyway?Their presence in the confrontation against Zhaitan was supposed to be a morale boost for the pact members.Well, considering it was the Pale Tree who insisted we needed them... Sylvari do tend to be overdramatic by default, maybe the Legendary Mascots really seemed totally essential to her. :lol: Maybe it was clever writing, after all.

@Fenella.2634 said:

@Fenella.2634 said:I agree, why was it so important to force that dysfunctional guild to reunite, anyway?Their presence in the confrontation against Zhaitan was supposed to be a morale boost for the pact members.Well, considering it was the Pale Tree who insisted we needed them... Sylvari do tend to be overdramatic by default, maybe the Legendary Mascots really seemed totally essential to her. :lol: Maybe it was clever writing, after all.

Aside from their individual skills it was a strong message of unity to have them be there.A lot of the Personal story was based around coming together to fight a common enemy who also had kind of a similar thing going on only in a more malevolent way.

Zhaitans army is probably the most diverse when you look at it, so many different races and species all fallen and enslaved in this giant army of the dead.Norn, Charr, Humans, Asura, Quaggans, Krait, Ghosts, Wraiths, Dragons, Grubs, Birds, Sharks, Drakes, Spiders.. even a Lupicus etc.Zhaitan had no bias when it came to enslaving things, he'd corrupt anything and add it to his army, so the living could hardly be so picky and bigoted about their allies either.

@Fueki.4753 said:

@Fenella.2634 said:Was there even any dialog from Pact members reacting to DE? I feel aside from us and the Pale Tree, nobody really cared one way or another.

There was at least one scene, when one Asura bickered with Zojja about using the beam cannon.Which has nothing to do with reuniting DE. :) Zojja could have done that without ever talking to Eir again.

@"Fenella.2634" said:Correct, but DE didn't help assemble the Pact. We did that just fine, those plotlines were completely separate.Was there even any dialog from Pact members reacting to DE? I feel aside from us and the Pale Tree, nobody really cared one way or another.

No they didn't but they were there for the big final push against Zhaitan which as others said was a big morale boost as they were all famed Heroes.

Traherne and the Pale Tree were the only ones really pushing us to reunite them by playing the story missions, as were our individual DE racial mentors who would send us mail occasionally with a bit of inner thought about their old allies.

I think this element was pretty badly done in the Personal story tbh.Destiny's Edge should have been reunited around the later story content involving Fort Trinity and they should have been present and active during the push into Orr.Just showing up right at the end for the final battle was a bit silly.. did they just walk right down to Arah and say to the pact "hey we're relevant again let us help" or something? XDThey needed a bigger role like they had in LW2, HoT and content after that even if they were offscreen.The Dungeon story modes should have been better tied into the main story as well and they should have been balanced for single player too.

@Teratus.2859 said:

@"Fenella.2634" said:Correct, but DE didn't help assemble the Pact. We did that just fine, those plotlines were completely separate.Was there even any dialog from Pact members reacting to DE? I feel aside from us and the Pale Tree, nobody really cared one way or another.

No they didn't but they were there for the big final push against Zhaitan which as others said was a big morale boost as they were all famed Heroes.

Traherne and the Pale Tree were the only ones really pushing us to reunite them by playing the story missions, as were our individual DE racial mentors who would send us mail occasionally with a bit of inner thought about their old allies.

I think this element was pretty badly done in the Personal story tbh.Destiny's Edge should have been reunited around the later story content involving Fort Trinity and they should have been present and active during the push into Orr.Just showing up right at the end for the final battle was a bit silly.. did they just walk right down to Arah and say to the pact "hey we're relevant again let us help" or something? XDThey needed a bigger role like they had in LW2, HoT and content after that even if they were offscreen.The Dungeon story modes should have been better tied into the main story as well and they should have been balanced for single player too.

I believe the issue was how they wanted to present the two stories as separate contents but at the sametime both canon events that made Destiny Edge's side of the story feel so lacking. They were basically trying to create the image of two separate storylines for two separate groups of people, one side is the Commander and the other side is Destiny Edge, crossing at a certain point in their own separate journey.

DE is important to the Zhaitan Arc because they contributed to the effort towards the war against Zhaitan by aiding the Pact during the Battle of Orr. However, this was happening off-screen separate from what the Commander was doing thus it left a lot of things feeling out of place when the moment of the Final battle against Zhaitan happend when the Commander reunited with Destiny Edge.

I feel the story for Destiny Edge side would have been more better represented if they had atleast made members of Destiny Edge more active with the Commander's side of the story rather than keeping it as a Offscreen second story event that the Commander eventually crosspaths with once in a while.

I do think we had a missed opportunity in core. The way it was designed was two story lines coming together in the final fight. The personal story line with the formation of the pact and the rise of Trahearne and the commander. And the reforming of DE during the dungeon stories.

One thing in core was that our choice made an impact. So it should have been easy to replace DE by pact members if you didnt do specific dungeons. So no Eir if you skipped AC. No Zoijja if you skipped CoE. No Caithe if you skipped TA and no Logan and Rytlock if you skipped CoF.This could have been extended to HoT with only Rytlocks dissapearance and return being important to his part in the new group and Eir's spoiler in Braham's presence there.