represent a guild, why?

daggerdale.9043

Whether or not the guild expect 100% is up to them. Just like there are free clubs, it all depend if there are people willing to do it for free. The world is a big place, just because there are people willing to do it for free or do it this way or that way, doesn't mean others should do the same. Just because it works one group of people, doesn't means it works for another group. Just because one group of people think this is enough to fulfill their aims doesn't means another group of people think is enough to fulfill their's. At the end of the day, if you cannot accept others' ideologies or what they think works better, then move on. No one and no guild force anyone to be part of their groups but if you do want to be part of their groups, it is only ethical to do as romans do. If one chose to join a guild yet start to make a hoo-ha out of their rules, it means that person is a troublemaker.

Like I have said, it is matter of principles and respect is one of them.

There are A LOT of social guilds that don't mind you're not rep them, the ones that do are normally serious guilds that wants recruits and dedicated people.

Representing a guild only shows that you really like being with them, people gets more comfortable with guildmates that are (basically) focusing on that one guild you're on, I tell this from my own experience, its easier to go and greet people representing the same guild as mine, while others that are not I dont even recognize them because they do not show in the minimap, or maybe they are just standby players that happen to be on the guild but they do not care about it (like me, I am in 5 guilds but I'm pretty much completely inactive in 2, its just that I dont want to leave them).

So basically representing a guild is a way to show you like that guild and youre willing to be active with them. Not many guilds ask for rep but if you were complaining that one guild ask you to rep them then just leave them since its more likely you dont like that guild in the first place.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:Good question. Here's my take on it relative to Tactical Killers [TK].

3 of us have solely built our GH to level 54. If you join our guild we require 100% Rep. If you want to use our facility/boosts or whatever, want help gearing/leveling, you're going to carry that tag at all times except when you access personal guild banks.

The question was why?

@Biff.5312 said:

@Loosmaster.8263 said:Good question. Here's my take on it relative to Tactical Killers [TK].

3 of us have solely built our GH to level 54. If you join our guild we require 100% Rep. If you want to use our facility/boosts or whatever, want help gearing/leveling, you're going to carry that tag at all times except when you access personal guild banks.

The question was why?

I have stated why we require it. If we're going to invest our time and effort helping a player, all we ask in return is to carry our tag.

If that is not within your scope, there are plenty of 490+ member guilds that constantly recruit for more and after you join them you find there is only maybe 10 that are active.

Honestly I have never seen the purpose of joining a guild that requires no rep other than to boost their numbers.

I can give you a list of reasons but they'll be countered with...so it basically boils down to what an individual wants.

Edit: Megasevers virtually killed any prospects of guild solidarity. It just increased access to more players

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

The question was why?

I have stated why we require it. If we're going to invest our time and effort helping a player, all we ask in return is to carry our tag.

If that is not within your scope, there are plenty of 490+ member guilds that constantly recruit for more and after you join them you find there is only maybe 10 that are active.

Honestly I have never seen the purpose of joining a guild that requires no rep other than to boost their numbers.

I can give you a list of reasons but they'll be countered with...so it basically boils down to what an individual wants.

Edit: Megasevers virtually killed any prospects of guild solidarity. It just increased access to more players

Rep a guild is a way to show you're loyal to them, you may sound a little selfish to ask rep to join and use your services but it was your effort and you own it so you are free to put any rules to be part of your guild. If you have an active guild then you're doing something right.

And that's correct, its daunting being in a guild with 200+ members where only 1/3 of the people online are reping, and only like 10 people ever are constantly active on chat. I honestly prefer to be in a pretty small guild that do fractals in a daily basis.

And I'm gonna repeat myself, representing a guild only shows in a way you're very loyal to them. Sure you can be active in guilds you're not rep'ing, but even you know you're not as dedicated with them as youre with the guild you're currently rep'ing.

sorry for late reply, didnt had time to read.

@Loosmaster.8263 said:Well, just don't join those guilds. I think you created this thread for the sake of argument. I'm done here.

np, just remeber, this is the internet, if you talk trash you get trash back.

@starlinvf.1358 said:snip

the psychological effect in wvw is a good reason, agree. same as when you make communityevents.

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:If you using hard simple logic like 1+1=2 to ask why to represent, you are not gonna get your answer.Represent now is a matter of principle. If you live your life without any principles, then, you wouldn't understand why the guild want people to rep.

snip

starlinvf made a nice summary. and you gave one too: mindless principles

and to principles: when you have them (and everyone has them, only me and no one else is also a principle. same like i refuse to think, that makes live easyer) you should still look at them once and a while and see why you have them and if they still fit into the world. i dont say change them. but you should be that honest to see and admit downsides of them (everything has 2 sides of a coin).a reason like : "we did that always like that" is dum and prefents you from adapting to new situations and to understand the "why" which is very importand for a better work/live/community. i also agree that there are times where this will sabotage youreself. in a war you shouldnt muse about the how and why. that will just kill you. for that you have later time.

@"SkyShroud.2865" said:Whether or not the guild expect 100% is up to them. Just like there are free clubs, it all depend if there are people willing to do it for free. The world is a big place, just because there are people willing to do it for free or do it this way or that way, doesn't mean others should do the same. Just because it works one group of people, doesn't means it works for another group. Just because one group of people think this is enough to fulfill their aims doesn't means another group of people think is enough to fulfill their's. At the end of the day, if you cannot accept others' ideologies or what they think works better, then move on. No one and no guild force anyone to be part of their groups but if you do want to be part of their groups, it is only ethical to do as romans do. If one chose to join a guild yet start to make a hoo-ha out of their rules, it means that person is a troublemaker.

Like I have said, it is matter of principles and respect is one of them.

the question wasnt "if", the the question was "why".> @TheBravery.9615 said:

rep a guild to advertise for them, run the tag because they've claimed ownership on you.

Really that's the only reason to represent a guild. To have a tag hover over your name.

thx thats a nice and honest summary too.

@Wolfb.7025 said:

And I'm gonna repeat myself, representing a guild only shows in a way you're very loyal to them. Sure you can be active in guilds you're not rep'ing, but even you know you're not as dedicated with them as youre with the guild you're currently rep'ing.

so....???i rep [sr] but more than hi and by comunication isnt there in that guild sadly. but they have the highest % for waypoints. i show up every once and a while in the ts3 but there are only the pvp guys so no comunication there too.but i play on daylie base with [bier]. we meet almost every day in discord or ts3. we do fractals together, achivements, dungeons and so on. but i never reped them.

i will never delet [bier] because out of principles :P . which are that i know a few out of that guild from reallive and the guildleader showed me alother stuff how to do in gw when i was a newby. if the guildleader calls i will take me some time for what ever he whants (if i can, obviously i dont jump out of a raid at once if he calls). and we had alother great time in the past. since im very thankfull for all that [bier] will always have a special place in my heart and in my guildlist. but like i already sad too i never reped them and never will. 5% discount is just to bad. and i dislike the drink beer.

or with other words. i do exactly the oposit of that what you say.

@daggerdale.9043There are a lot of reasons why but people just want to pick ones that are matches their personal beliefs. People don't see what it is, they see what they think it is.If you take comparison of the reason why some new guild has rep rule with some established guild that has rep rule, their reasons will differ greatly. There is no one answer to your question. It is indeed a matter of principles which in turn make up reasons why they have such in their guilds. Why not you ask the guilds in question why they have rep rule?

A principle is something you hold and don't change regardless of what situation you are in, a principle that change according to situation is not a principle but a convenience excuse for corruption.

Edit:Why...If...how silly. That reply is not that meant for your main post therefore it has a quote. It isn't nice nor right to hijack a string of replies and accuse of its irrelevance.

Lastly, since you asked why they ask for rep. Let me ask you, why can't they?

@SkyShroud.2865 said:@daggerdale.9043There are a lot of reasons why but people just want to pick ones that are matches their personal beliefs. People don't see what it is, they see what they think it is.If you take comparison of the reason why some new guild has rep rule with some established guild that has rep rule, their reasons will differ greatly. There is no one answer to your question. It is indeed a matter of principles which in turn make up reasons why they have such in their guilds. Why not you ask the guilds in question why they have rep rule?

A principle is something you hold and don't change regardless of what situation you are in, a principle that change according to situation is not a principle but a convenience excuse for corruption.

Edit:Why...If...how silly. That reply is not that meant for your main post therefore it has a quote. It isn't nice nor right to hijack a string of replies and accuse of its irrelevance.

i tryed to ask several guildrecruider, result was inbetween beeing ignored/blocked - the reason is reasons.and when i asked those without reprule than the awnser was always: in the past it was importand, but now there are no reasons.

since i was unable to get n awnser from those who insist in rep i came here.

princibals: you didnt read what i wrote. i quote myself

"and to principles: when you have them (and everyone has them, only me and no one else is also a principle. same like i refuse to think, that makes live easyer) you should still look at them once and a while and see why you have them and if they still fit into the world. i dont say change them. but you should be that honest to see and admit downsides of them (everything has 2 sides of a coin).a reason like : "we did that always like that" is dum and prefents you from adapting to new situations and to understand the "why" which is very importand for a better work/live/community. i also agree that there are times where this will sabotage youreself. in a war you shouldnt muse about the how and why. that will just kill you. for that you have later time."

"i will never delet [bier] because out of principles :P . which are that i know a few out of that guild from reallive and the guildleader showed me alother stuff how to do in gw when i was a newby. if the guildleader calls i will take me some time for what ever he whants (if i can, obviously i dont jump out of a raid at once if he calls). and we had alother great time in the past. since im very thankfull for all that [bier] will always have a special place in my heart and in my guildlist. but like i already sad too i never reped them and never will. 5% discount is just to bad. and i dislike the drink beer.""

highjack: i just whant to keep the topic from derailing. cause off that i wrote this to another post too:

"mh ok interesting, i will come back to that later. i dont whant to derail that topic. im new to that kp stuff had a long break"

imo i find it funny that the try to prefend the topic to getting highjacked as highjacking.

why cant they?: of course they can. they can make any rule. and when they make the rule everyone needs to play a pink hair colored charr than it is like that.i dont whant to take away the right of them to have the rule, i whant to understand why still so much guilds in gw2 insist on that rule.and yes i dont need to go into a guild with that 24/7 rule, and i wont.if a guildleader does a good job in organication than i would be dum if i dont rep. but than no rule is needed. i would feel every day the downside of not reping.

@daggerdale.9043 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:@daggerdale.9043There are a lot of reasons why but people just want to pick ones that are matches their personal beliefs. People don't see what it is, they see what they think it is.If you take comparison of the reason why some new guild has rep rule with some established guild that has rep rule, their reasons will differ greatly. There is no one answer to your question. It is indeed a matter of principles which in turn make up reasons why they have such in their guilds. Why not you ask the guilds in question why they have rep rule?

i tryed to ask several guildrecruider, result was inbetween beeing ignored/blocked - the reason is reasons.and when i asked those without reprule than the awnser was always: in the past it was importand, but now there are no reasons.

since i was unable to get n awnser from those who insist in rep i came here.

princibals: you didnt read what i wrote. i quote myself

"and to principles: when you have them (and everyone has them, only me and no one else is also a principle. same like i refuse to think, that makes live easyer) you should still look at them once and a while and see why you have them and if they still fit into the world. i dont say change them. but you should be that honest to see and admit downsides of them (everything has 2 sides of a coin).a reason like : "we did that always like that" is dum and prefents you from adapting to new situations and to understand the "why" which is very importand for a better work/live/community. i also agree that there are times where this will sabotage youreself. in a war you shouldnt muse about the how and why. that will just kill you. for that you have later time."

"i will never delet [bier] because out of principles :P . which are that i know a few out of that guild from reallive and the guildleader showed me alother stuff how to do in gw when i was a newby. if the guildleader calls i will take me some time for what ever he whants (if i can, obviously i dont jump out of a raid at once if he calls). and we had alother great time in the past. since im very thankfull for all that [bier] will always have a special place in my heart and in my guildlist. but like i already sad too i never reped them and never will. 5% discount is just to bad. and i dislike the drink beer.""

highjack: i just whant to keep the topic from derailing. cause off that i wrote this to another post too:

"mh ok interesting, i will come back to that later. i dont whant to derail that topic. im new to that kp stuff had a long break"

imo i find it funny that the try to prefend the topic to getting highjacked as highjacking.

why cant they?: of course they can. they can make any rule. and when they make the rule everyone needs to play a pink hair colored charr than it is like that.i dont whant to take away the right of them to have the rule, i whant to understand why still so much guilds in gw2 insist on that rule.and yes i dont need to go into a guild with that 24/7 rule, and i wont.if a guildleader does a good job in organication than i would be dum if i dont rep. but than no rule is needed. i would feel every day the downside of not reping.

People don't answer because those guilds often get verbally attacked and harassed just for asking rep. Most importantly, those guilds never even once attack others to be deserving of one. When the people keep having this happening to them, they either leave or they chose to ignore and obviously they chose the later. If you able to check out the old thread about represent, there used to be a few people from rep guild talking about it but always end up getting bashed, so what's the point? Many in the game do not know the how to respect others and always trying hard to force their beliefs on others. Worse part is, great majority of the community never run guild themselves yet they have this baseless conviction they think it should be run this way because is the best, simply because they are seeing it from a personal perspective instead of the perspectives of people running a guild which most don't ever realize.

As for derailing, that isn't derailing, that's how forums work. You start a topic, the topic can have multiple conversations which all of them uses the topic as the basis, they simply at different stages and perspectives. So what you did is simply trying to pull it back to the previous stage when it already past that. What people do in forums is, if needed to, quote a post that is relevant to them and branch off the conversation from there.

You won't feel the downside of not repping a guild, the guild itself will. Rep matters more to the guild than individuals. Perspective matters.

• 2 weeks later...

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@SkyShroud.2865 said:@daggerdale.9043snip

can you link me plz, the search here is quit bad.

yes respect is often a problem everywhere, but to become youreself one of them as result is .....hard force: like i wrote befor i dont whant to change any guild rule, i whant to understand why they are so common in gw2. especial because there is no direct ingame benefit. and when then someone tell me this rule have to be because grass is green i should be alowed to point out that this is nonsens.

where we are about youre sentence about getting bashed. i realy would like to read some to make me a own picture. cause so far i saw, the so called bashing is pointing out that that what they say has no logical reasonable base.

running guild: the main problem is that most people dont know how much work it makes, yes. and that you need a charismatic leader/spokesman. but thats no excuse to not think about the requests of youre people, rule like a dictator and get mad with power. alother people have something in theyr body thats called a brain. so inform youre people why something is done this way, thats not to hard. for that guildhomepages exist. and those 13 year old kidis who just whant to troll, do you realy whant them in youre guild?and obviously you need a line which kind of guild you whant to lead. and be able to back up when you get unable to continu the work on the lvl the guild requires to keep the line.but to be supercilious will harm youre guild more than it helps, i dont say take everyone in youre guild. there are different playstyles and different amount of time which people can spend. and oc there are better end less good players. What goes around, comes around. and most boss, clanleader, clubleader and guildleader i saw in my 40 years which had often problems with people beeing "bad" to them seed theyr problems by themself. by making bad decisions (bigger is better XD ) or by beeing a unfriendly person.

derail- pull topic back: yes??? oc!

quote from urbandictionaryA topic is derailed when someone clearly goes off-topic with posts which are obviously not associated with the original topic subject

You won't feel the downside of not repping a guild, the guild itself will. Rep matters more to the guild than individuals. Perspective matters.plz some reasons. why is it for a guild better if i rep them but dont play with them, ignore chat dont help with guildhall and overall ignore them than dont rep them but be a active part of the guild?and like already stated several times, there can be downsides for the player not reping.

I don't really care about this topic, but one thing I can think off is that it simply looks "bad" if people do not rep. Imagine comming online and you see 30-40 people online in your guild, but only 10 people are repping.

Its not like it matters much since we do have multiple guild convos now. But boy does it look bad.

@"Georgy.7401" said:I don't really care about this topic, but one thing I can think off is that it simply looks "bad" if people do not rep. Imagine comming online and you see 30-40 people online in your guild, but only 10 people are repping.

Its not like it matters much since we do have multiple guild convos now. But boy does it look bad.

Why does it look bad?

Is it worse than seeing those 30 people repping but only the same 5 ever communicate?

• 2 years later...

I am in a wvw guild that requires me to rep when we are doing guild raids. The rest of the time I can rep whatever I want. The reason is to show the opposite guilds that yes we are indeed a one guild group and not a semi-public squad. It gives scrims and gvg validity. There is a small psychological aspect. When your server is defending something and 20 people with the same tag show up everyone feels better. You know those 20 will be organized and can be rallied around. Also allied guilds know who you are, what to expect etc, which makes coordinated stuff easier. If the other squad has 20 people and 10 different tags - well, you dont expect much. Are they tight? Do their support know what to do? Sure, you could look at the players - after a while you know the skill levels of the regular players on you server - but that costs time.

In PVE repping a guild shows the other guild members where you are, without the need to check members list. If you log in and everyone is around a certain point, you know instantly that something is going on. It also 'feels' good to run into people with the same tag.

Don't you get cheaper waypoint travel if you represent a guild?Plus you can pick a permanent guild buff at tavern and keep changing it whenever you wish (exp/wvw/karma etc boosts)But yeah, it's mostly a social thing, you can see where the people from your guild are and vice versa. Makes for some fun interactions.

another thread necro :).

Interesting read. I am on the rep-is-unneccessary-but-i-may-understand-it-side. My plan is to join multiple guilds just like one person explained it before quite well: To have a community/club which focuses on a certain task and thus is very "good" or rather active at this content: fractal guild, raid guild, community/open-pve guild, wvw guild. The PvE guild i am in at the moment is for example not really wvw active and on a quite wvw-inactive-world, but they are nice people and help out a lot each other in pve. But if i want to be active in wvw, as i am, it makes sense to have a guild for the wvw part aswell. So I would probably end up with 2 guilds in the long run: a pve and a wvw guild. To have both of my focuses satisfied. This would become a problem, if both guilds want me to rep the guild 24/7.

I can understand, that not representing can have some negative effect as others stated:

• it looks strange when the whole guild consists of people not representing the guild.
  • If you are in 5 guilds, most people can not be that active in the chat with every guild as they could be when they are only in 1-2 guilds. Though I have the feeling, that the bigger part of guild members are not that active in TS and guild chats anyway. But that is ok, nobody should be forced too.
  • Representing gives a stronger feeling of "being part of something together". Especially in wvw I can understand the psychological effect of represeting a guild. Though I think that representing obligation should be limited to the wvw maps in this case.

What I dont understand is the point of Loosmaster.8263 "I build this, so you have to pay by respresenting it". This sounds not like being in a community, but rather into real estate. I guess that is the reason why they had to level it with only 3 persons.And i dont understand SkyShroud.2865's "It is about principles". The word principle is often used by people who do things like they always do it without aksing themself why. They actually dont know why. They do what other people told them, without questioning it. It is quite commonly used by religious people, old people/coworkers or conservative people... or people with a lower education? "But we have always printed it out, why should I email a PDF now"

I always thought it was about a sense of community/togetherness or whatever you want to call it. To be fair, I'm part of a really big guild (400+ members last I checked) and those of us who are active and regularly rep have a good time messing around with each other. And if you come across someone doing an event with the same tag, well hey! Why not help em out? So I guess I think that while it may not be necessary, it can certainly help keep the guild active/alive.

The only reason I can see is for 'advertising' the guild, but considering my guild doesn't seem to do any kind of promotion and in the rare case you find someone spontaneously asking to join, finding an officer willing to just invite the person is harder than dropping a precursor... I guess that in most cases it's simply 'vanity'.

• 1 year later...
On 9/23/2018 at 6:25 PM, Taygus.4571 said:

That's insulting..and wrong.

Multiple guilds is more like having different groups/clubs

You don't just have to stick with your reading group.You can also hang with your football club.And participate in events with the charity you volunteer for.And sometimes you spend time with your work colleagues.Don't forget the family visits and bbq.

See how it works in real life? and has nothing to do with principles.

Different guilds do different things and are active at different times.

I like to take advantage of that. But I also support both guilds by some weeks even doing GMs twice just to bolster numbers and make the missions easier for others.

I plan on having a WvW and fractal guild at some point also. And I can interact with multiple guilds. It's not that hard.

firing squad for wanting to network on a social game ? =D

• Sad 1