WvW ranger build - Question

Paposeco.6013

Hello,

I have a 3k armor and 20k HP character that is getting 1 shoted by a single rapid fire skill usage (number 2 on ranger longbow).Not every enemy ranger is using this "1 shot" build but what happens is that they kill my mount and myself, regardless of how much armor or HP I have, with just one rapid fire. If on my blind side I usually have no time to react.

Anyone knows what build is this, or is it some sort of exploit?

Thank you.

There is, I believe, like half a second where you are in the air after being forcibly dismounted that it does something funky with removing the mount stats from your stats but hasn't applied your armor stats yet. This makes hits deal unusually high damage if they can land in that .5s frame which rapid fire does pretty easily.

Edit: The short term suggestion is if you are getting rapid fired and you can't double dodge into a ditch or something, just dismount yourself to avoid the super damage.

I use that 1 shot build for lolz sometimes. It requires all your utility skills to be used in this order: moa stance, zephys speed, sickem, one wolf pack, rapid fire. This is a hit or miss kind of thing. Use lightning reflexes as soon as you get dismounted and dodge once or twice to avoid the next few shots, and then smoke assault into him to kill him.

Soulbeasts have a trait that does more damage vs a disabled foe, and if you throw in an impact sigil on top of that is a lot of damage when combined with sic'em, quickness, and probably One Wolf Pack. Don't really even need to be glass, but usually the whole thing needs to connect. You should really not cross the path of a dismounted ranger, though. Best way would be to force dismount and use ypo ur longest leap away.. If you get dismounted and fail to stunbreak, you could be dead.

A particularly annoying variant uses Signet of the Hunt for the unblockable, but that is thankfully really rare.

Soulbeast here. Not an exploit at all. With a power build, sic em, quickening zephyr and one Wolf pack a (full hit) rapid fire will dismount and kill/eat a lot of hp on most builds. A longbow ranger is a hard counter to warclaw, keep aware of your surroundings, don't blow your dodges until RF is used and try to use terrain to your advantage.

Yea, I have similar stats on my toon and I always make sure to dismount or use the mount skill 4 to make the ranger dismount (or I use a stun break if a ranger dismounts me). I never really have trouble with wvw rangers, in my absolute honest opinion 95% of all wvw rangers are either just trying wvw for the first time or are just newbs XD

@"ArchonWing.9480" said:Soulbeasts have a trait that does more damage vs a disabled foe, and if you throw in an impact sigil on top of that is a lot of damage when combined with sic'em, quickness, and probably One Wolf Pack. Don't really even need to be glass, but usually the whole thing needs to connect. You should really not cross the path of a dismounted ranger, though. Best way would be to force dismount and use ypo ur longest leap away.. If you get dismounted and fail to stunbreak, you could be dead.

I play SoulBeast and often run this build. To add to this, for those using the Skirmishing trait line, the Grandmaster Minor "Hunter's Tactics" gives increased damage when attacking from the side or behind which is most of the time the case in this kind of scenario.https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/List_of_ranger_traits

@Ben.2160 said:Soulbeast here. Not an exploit at all. With a power build, sic em, quickening zephyr and one Wolf pack a (full hit) rapid fire will dismount and kill/eat a lot of hp on most builds. A longbow ranger is a hard counter to warclaw, keep aware of your surroundings, don't blow your dodges until RF is used and try to use terrain to your advantage.

Because of that flanking bonus you might also consider running TOWARDS the ranger rather than away. Running away only plays to the Ranger's strengths. When you end up facing a ranger, interrupting to break that chain of skills and using chill can really slow the DPS down a lot.

@"God.2708" said:There is, I believe, like half a second where you are in the air after being forcibly dismounted that it does something funky with removing the mount stats from your stats but hasn't applied your armor stats yet. This makes hits deal unusually high damage if they can land in that .5s frame which rapid fire does pretty easily.

Edit: The short term suggestion is if you are getting rapid fired and you can't double dodge into a ditch or something, just dismount yourself to avoid the super damage.

i think you may be right about this . Like when you jujp from a cliff on your mount and if the mount takes full damage the rider also dies . The "one shot" Seems to happen sometimes when you take the high damage when in mid jump or over an edge that you would think is survivable. And its not just related to the Rapid Fire .On occasion I've had this occur with other classes hitting my Warclaw. Although I imagine that Rapid Fire can do this more effectively with the suggested preparations.

@Mokk.2397 said:

@"God.2708" said:There is, I believe, like half a second where you are in the air after being forcibly dismounted that it does something funky with removing the mount stats from your stats but hasn't applied your armor stats yet. This makes hits deal unusually high damage if they can land in that .5s frame which rapid fire does pretty easily.

i think you may be right about this . Like when you jujp from a cliff on your mount and if the mount takes full damage the rider also dies . The "one shot" Seems to happen sometimes when you take the high damage when in mid jump or over an edge that you would think is survivable. And its not just related to the Rapid Fire .On occasion I've had this occur with other classes hitting my Warclaw. Although I imagine that Rapid Fire can do this more effectively with the suggested preparations.Haha I saw that not long ago. Attacked someone on a mount, he ran down some stairs, leaped off the side to save some time and... instantly died as the mount died. But he was at a height you would barely take any damage from if you just jumped.

Fall damage is percentage based. This means at a certain height you lose a certain percentage of your hp. This ensures that high hp classes can't survive falling from bigger heights than low hp classes (only exception is necro in shroud as shroud does lower not just normal, but also fall damage by 50%).

When your mount dies to fall damage, then you die too in wvw. This is different to pve and confuses many players.

Example: If you are mounted and jump off a cliff with 10% hp left on warclaw and jumping off that cliff costs you 11% hp, then you instantly die on landing.

So it can be a good idea to apply some damage to a mounted player jumping off a cliff to lower warclaw's hp to a level that kills the player on landing.

Like when you jujp from a cliff on your mount and if the mount takes full damage the rider also dies .No this might actually save the player as he would be unmounted before landing.

at the "choose character" screen, there is a "delete" button. that's what u seek, your Wvw-ranger-build.

@ArchonWing.9480 my fav is that when u leave the portal towards Odel Academy and jump on foot outside, you'll kinda fall on your face somehow. and yeah, desert border needs a tons of overhauls, isn't much more buggy than other maps tho, we just know them better. like cam at Lowlands EBG keep is horribly bad, at Quentin Lake there are barely visible uneven ground that can block movement etc

@"Paposeco.6013"well, you get "daze" state for 1 second or so at demounting forcefully, that is why you're open to a quick dmg income. plus, you are disabled state there, which means you take more damage than normal (this is always the case and a reason why brainded CC spam is a thing and somehow works), so just try to use / keybind the "behind you camera", so that u can ideally spot rangers around and maybe mount-jump-dodge before they can demount-daze-pew-pew you.

@asterix.9614 said:Yea, I have similar stats on my toon and I always make sure to dismount or use the mount skill 4 to make the ranger dismount (or I use a stun break if a ranger dismounts me). I never really have trouble with wvw rangers, in my absolute honest opinion 95% of all wvw rangers are either just trying wvw for the first time or are just newbs XD

Overall skill level is pretty low in WvW in general, but I think Soulbeast is maybe the strongest dueler in the game right now.

@schloumou.3982 said:

@asterix.9614 said:Yea, I have similar stats on my toon and I always make sure to dismount or use the mount skill 4 to make the ranger dismount (or I use a stun break if a ranger dismounts me). I never really have trouble with wvw rangers, in my absolute honest opinion 95% of all wvw rangers are either just trying wvw for the first time or are just newbs XD

Overall skill level is pretty low in WvW in general, but I think Soulbeast is maybe the strongest dueler in the game right now.

Actually it has always been thief, the mobility, the damage, lack of cooldowns and ability to reset the fight with stealth or teleports makes it the best class.Soulbeast had it's moments before the nerfs thou.

@anduriell.6280 said:

Actually it has always been thief, the mobility, the damage, lack of cooldowns and ability to reset the fight with stealth or teleports makes it the best class.Soulbeast had it's moments before the nerfs thou.Nonono you got it all wrong, thieves have no damage, no mobility and is the worst duelist and roamer in the game.

10 out of 10 thieves on the forum agree.