DRM would have been great as side stories

Cyndercat.7615

I think this content fits in very well with the side stories content type and if this had been a side stories release, I would have probably liked and been satisfied with the depth and quantity of content provided.

Unfortunately, as it stands, this has replaced actual living world which is very disappointing. Side stories were meant to be sporadic fillers in between episodes. Content on the same level as that cannot fill the void of proper map and meta releases.

I hope anet listens to feedback and provides a proper map for the icebrood saga finale, while continuing to drop small releases like champions to support the saga, but I honestly cant see it happening.

I think this is less ANet and more NCsoft tightening their leash. There were no plans for an expansion until, suddenly, there was (and I could be wrong, but I think their lead left around the same time). There’s been a lot of turn over it seems, plus a lot of senior staff having left over the years. And now they’re “all hands on deck” for EoDs, leading me to believe it’s a very small team working on champions (and they’re probably multitasking). So this all seems to be a product of understaffing and bad mismanagement. I think they’re being told “you have to deliver a big expansion in x amount of time, or else.” That’s the only way I can rationalize the sudden story acceleration.

And I don’t think Champions is that bad. I like a lot of the ideas and concepts, but there’s definitely quality control issues.

Edit: and I wish they were more communicative with their players, or clearer about what the release schedule of champions, cause a lot of people think this is all we’re getting for chapter 1.

And I don’t think Champions is that bad. I like a lot of the ideas and concepts, but there’s definitely quality control issues.

I agree. While I'll always be firm in my critiques I definitely try not to be unrealistically harsh or problematic. They've had to deal with founders leaving, leads leaving, 150ish people being let go and covid. They've had a rough 2 years so I take the content in stride over all. Is IBS overall good? IMO yes. Are DRMS good? Eh...def need some fine tuning and better communication about how all of this is unfolding but if things are so disorganized or up in the air then they literally can't tell us anything since things change week to week I assume. If people want to checkout until the expansion that's fair but I wouldn't waste my time slobbing all over the keyboard lamenting the game too much. They know the DRM release isn't that great; you would have to be blind and deaf not to. QA is usually slow; POF optimized its rewards years later and we got underwater skimmer years later. Drizzle map was optimized eventually so I believe DRMs will be fixed too but it might be some time.

Pretty much this. As instances, they are far too dull, far too long. They chaos of the endless fighting means I missed most of the dialogue. I have no idea what story has been imparted here. I couldn't tell you a single thing of value or impact to the story that has been imparted here. Maybe none has?My partner and I played through the first two DRM's to get through the story but were so fed up by the end that we took a break from the story. Didn't touch it again for days, choosing instead to do map clearance and other stuff. The support currency nonsense was just pitiful, the rewards dreadful, the crystal bloom box was a waste. Didn't spend enough to get the tier rewards, not least because I had absolutely no desire to slog through the DRM's any further.I finally forced myself to do the third part and was so glad for it to be over that I just left the map immediately, forgetting that there's a mastery to find. The really sad thing is, DRMs are such an unrewarding chore that replaying to get the mastery, just isn't worth the time and effort.

At least if these were side stories, I could wait for the first events to be done and then join in at the end or just skip them all together.

@wolfyrik.2017 said:Pretty much this. As instances, they are far too dull, far too long. They chaos of the endless fighting means I missed most of the dialogue. I have no idea what story has been imparted here. I couldn't tell you a single thing of value or impact to the story that has been imparted here. Maybe none has?My partner and I played through the first two DRM's to get through the story but were so fed up by the end that we took a break from the story. Didn't touch it again for days, choosing instead to do map clearance and other stuff. The support currency nonsense was just pitiful, the rewards dreadful, the crystal bloom box was a waste. Didn't spend enough to get the tier rewards, not least because I had absolutely no desire to slog through the DRM's any further.I finally forced myself to do the third part and was so glad for it to be over that I just left the map immediately, forgetting that there's a mastery to find. The really sad thing is, DRMs are such an unrewarding chore that replaying to get the mastery, just isn't worth the time and effort.

At least if these were side stories, I could wait for the first events to be done and then join in at the end or just skip them all together.

Sad to say all you would have had to do was 1 day donate 5 times 100x of either mithril, elder wood, silver, gold, silk or t5 leather and you would have got enough crystal bloom support marks to buy 5 recipes to unlock the boxes.

@wolfyrik.2017 said:Pretty much this. As instances, they are far too dull, far too long. They chaos of the endless fighting means I missed most of the dialogue. I have no idea what story has been imparted here. I couldn't tell you a single thing of value or impact to the story that has been imparted here. Maybe none has?My partner and I played through the first two DRM's to get through the story but were so fed up by the end that we took a break from the story. Didn't touch it again for days, choosing instead to do map clearance and other stuff. The support currency nonsense was just pitiful, the rewards dreadful, the crystal bloom box was a waste. Didn't spend enough to get the tier rewards, not least because I had absolutely no desire to slog through the DRM's any further.I finally forced myself to do the third part and was so glad for it to be over that I just left the map immediately, forgetting that there's a mastery to find. The really sad thing is, DRMs are such an unrewarding chore that replaying to get the mastery, just isn't worth the time and effort.

Sad to say all you would have had to do was 1 day donate 5 times 100x of either mithril, elder wood, silver, gold, silk or t5 leather and you would have got enough crystal bloom support marks to buy 5 recipes to unlock the boxes.

The part that bothers me is the sudden -final- episode being drawn out with weak and limited story and the hype over grindy content that you are forced to do. And with content that doesn't do the earlier episodes justice.

They have brought in Primordus for what we can assume to be... one episode? Broken up, sure, but one episode nonetheless.

I personally have loved Icebrood Saga. Bound by Blood was one the best ls ever released in this game imo. So I hope this epic finale does it justice. With how this is being revealed and delivered, I'm sadly not confident.

And I know 2020 has not been an easy year and I know they are working hard on EoD. They have committed to Icebrood Saga as this big epic story. I hope they follow through with that.

@"Svennis.3852" said:I think this is less ANet and more NCsoft tightening their leash. There were no plans for an expansion until, suddenly, there was (and I could be wrong, but I think their lead left around the same time). There’s been a lot of turn over it seems, plus a lot of senior staff having left over the years. And now they’re “all hands on deck” for EoDs, leading me to believe it’s a very small team working on champions (and they’re probably multitasking). So this all seems to be a product of understaffing and bad mismanagement. I think they’re being told “you have to deliver a big expansion in x amount of time, or else.” That’s the only way I can rationalize the sudden story acceleration.

Edit: and I wish they were more communicative with their players, or clearer about what the release schedule of champions, cause a lot of people think this is all we’re getting for chapter 1.

anet clearly had focus on LW only, a system that didnt satisfy the majority of players. we simply expect xpacs to be delivered at regular intervals.look how much leeway ncsoft gave wildstar, they could had shut it down years before it actually happened.i am playing another ncsoft title, champions online, and they have been hanging on the brink for years now.this all reeks of bad leadership in anet. a position , that isnt even filled yet.just remember the disaster, that was LW1. they actually PLANNED that.

@battledrone.8315 said:

@"Svennis.3852" said:I think this is less ANet and more NCsoft tightening their leash. There were no plans for an expansion until, suddenly, there was (and I could be wrong, but I think their lead left around the same time). There’s been a lot of turn over it seems, plus a lot of senior staff having left over the years. And now they’re “all hands on deck” for EoDs, leading me to believe it’s a
very
small team working on champions (and they’re probably multitasking). So this all seems to be a product of understaffing and bad mismanagement. I think they’re being told “you have to deliver a big expansion in x amount of time, or else.” That’s the only way I can rationalize the sudden story acceleration.

anet clearly had focus on LW only, a system that didnt satisfy the majority of players. we simply expect xpacs to be delivered at regular intervals.look how much leeway ncsoft gave wildstar, they could had shut it down years before it actually happened.i am playing another ncsoft title, champions online, and they have been hanging on the brink for years now.this all reeks of bad leadership in anet. a position , that isnt even filled yet.just remember the disaster, that was LW1. they actually PLANNED that.

The team that worked on S1 and Icebrood Saga are totally different, though. They’re basically a different studio now. The Saga started off very strong and it’s fairly obvious it was meant to be much longer at this point, but has been panned in favor of the expansion. Which is why we’re seeing the current uproar regarding Champions, because they’re massively cutting corners to push out EoDs.

I mourn the potential Icebrood Saga had. It could’ve easily been 12+ episodes with multiple maps dedicated to exploring lore for multiple races and building up Primordus as the climax. I think Novera King (narrative lead that left in October) had done a great job and gave us some of the most compelling character development/storytelling in years.

@"Svennis.3852" said:The team that worked on S1 and Icebrood Saga are totally different, though. They’re basically a different studio now. The Saga started off very strong and it’s fairly obvious it was meant to be much longer at this point, but has been panned in favor of the expansion. Which is why we’re seeing the current uproar regarding Champions, because they’re massively cutting corners to push out EoDs.

I mourn the potential Icebrood Saga had. It could’ve easily been 12+ episodes with multiple maps dedicated to exploring lore for multiple races and building up Primordus as the climax. I think Novera King (narrative lead that left in October) had done a great job and gave us some of the most compelling character development/storytelling in years.Except this is completely inaccurate.

Even back on Feb 3rd, just after episode 2 "Shadow in the Ice" dropped, and before COVID became a problem, Anet stated that, after episode 4, they were going to go back to more LWS1 style content. And the number of Champions releases is equal to the number of releases we knew from episode 2 that we were going to get.

Icebrood Saga was never planned to be longer then this. Especially not 12+ episodes.

@battledrone.8315 said:i am playing another ncsoft title, champions online, and they have been hanging on the brink for years now.Champions Online is developed by Cryptic Studios and published by Perfect World. It has nothing to do with NCSoft.

@Kirigaya Kazuto.8547 said:

@zombyturtle.5980 said:I hope anet listens to feedback and

Aahahahahahaaa big wish you got there... they NEVER listen!Just look at all the complain threads about PoF and S4 servers. More than 1 1/2 years absolute lag hell and NOTHING happened.

Cant say they never listen.They did 1 good thing this path, made us able to disable compact button.