Best food for WvW parties?

Al Masone.1274

Hello, I have almost completed my journey toward becoming a fully fledged battle-chef, which will allow me to sate every group I'll find in the WvW fields. That said, I'm not very sure as to which food effects are the most useful in this mode. I can see the power + ferocity variant to be the most sought after, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best one. I would like your opinion as to which stats bonus could work better. For me, the easiest way would be the celestial food, since it gives everything to everyone, but maybe there are other avenues.Also, I guess it's pretty important the added effect that comes with ascended food:

• 66% health steal on crit
  • -20% condi duration
  • -10% damage
  • +10% healing
  • regen health every secondHere, I think the contest is between that damage reduction and the condi duration reduction, but again I'm not 100% sure about it and I would like the opinion of more experienced wvw players on the matter.All in all, food seems to be fairly strong, since it's basically like having an additional item equipped, which means that picking the right stuff for the group is very important.Please teach me how to keep my zerg healthy and well fed!

For general use spherified peppercorn oyster soup is the way to go unless you're crit capped, it comes in at 0.05% less damage than power+fero and gives extra defensive stats. Perfect for pugs.

Healers always want to use fruit salad with mint garnish.

If your group has problems generating might or you're clouding, peppercorn cheesecake is great.

If you're in a guild run on a dps, you really want the +200 power on kill food.

We generally seek power + ferocity, as most dps builds will usually max out their crit with fury (necros with death perception and revs with rolling mists) and we care much more about spike damage as opposed to dps but of course other builds may benefit from power+precision

Regen on health: Useless because it's 85h/s and will not save you from anything

Life steal: Obviously only for dps power builds. The life stolen is not very useful because it's on a 2s cooldown, however the extra damage (which ignores armor) can add that little bit extra to the damage spike. Funny enough, the worse your damage is, the better this is, as it accounts for a larger portion of your damage. If you really want to mass our your e-peen arcdps stats, this is the way to go but not really recommended.

-% condi duration. Useless, because even in small fights, you can have massive amounts of condis dumped upon you. If you get immobolized for 5s, cutting it down to 4s rarely helps -- you'll have died to the bomb anyways so the only option is to cleanse it. May be viable on builds that already have a source of condition duration reduction to stack with it.

healing-- Only for healers, but there's a lot of those so always welcome

-10% damage. This is the most useful because it can prevent you from getting one shot by spikes, so it's the best general use food for everyone, and also healers that can't handle the other food.

There's also Fire Salsa/Mango Salsa for bad players (+downed health/damage) to get the most use out of them.

It depends on the server and the meta. I currently know neither, but there's a few things I can comment on.

a) Health regen is good in war of attrition, battleship metas, and condi metas. It's bad in hammer-train metas and power metas.b) Healing bonus is generally bad for zergs, and I question if anyone should even bother making it.c) Damage reduction is good in general, but crucial for hammer-train and power metas.
d) Condi reduction is good in condi metas only.e)Life leech is the same as Health regen, except it is dependent on competency.

That whole "dependent on competency" thing is a big deal. See, DPS food is only good if the group is good at doing DPS. Adding power and ferocity is useless for a teammate who spends their time running around panicked. Because of this, if you're wading into the unknown there are two foods that I would recommend:

Plate of Clear Truffle and Sesame RavioliHealth Regen+100 Vitality+70 Toughness

Spherified Sesame Oyster Soup:Health Regen+45 to All Attributes

The philosophy is simple: survival is important no matter how competent you are, what build you are running, or what role you're playing. You can't do anything while dead, and it is a given that the enemy is trying to kill you. Sesame Ravioli isn't the best in ideal circumstances, but it makes for a good baseline food. Spherified Oyster Soup beats out Ravioli with more competent groups, because damage matters more significantly and it gives more points overall.

For competent groups and organized groups, there are two more options:

Peppercorn Crusted Sous-Vide Steak-10% Incoming Damage+100 Power+70 Ferocity

Clove-Spiced Pear and Cured Meat Flatbread-20% Condition Duration+100 Condition Damage+70 Expertise

Pick one, depending on whether it is a condi meta or a power meta.

Condi duration reduction is useless. If the condi deals damage it has like 4s duration. If your party doesn't cleanse it during 3 seconds, you deserve to die.

so its -10% damage. -10% incoming damage is essentially 11.1111% armor increase which means between 220 stats (2000 armor) and 330 stats (3000 armor).

if you're playing healing build +10% outgoing healing effectiveness of course is very great option to heal others but it gets much weaker as you stack other sources of healing effectiveness and if you're the one taking most of the damage. People still opt for healing effectiveness because it is safe to assume that the DPS players will die first if it gets too hot.

lifesteal on crit is also interesting if you can proc it off cooldown as optimally it could heal you 1800 health over 10 seconds and dealing same damage. But realistically you can only get half of that even if you're weaver with lot of fields and 900 health is less than what damage reduction food saves you in fights where it matters and 900 damage is neglible.

Stats

+45 to all stats is essentially 8 * 45 = 360 stats so its a great option if you get any use out of 5 of the stats. This is go to for condi builds.expertise isn't worth dropping+100 power + 70 prec is optimal dps (like 0.5% more) with optimal builds+100 power + 70 fero is like 1% higher burst with easier buildcrafting+100 healing effectiveness + 70 concentration is for healers+100 vit + 70 toughness might be useful for something that does absolutely nothing else than utility like IoL CC boonstrip chrono

Normally dropped

+100 power + 70 fero (safer option regarding builds even though suboptimal in large groups because DPS is what you should go for with large numbers) + 10% damage reduction+100 healing + 70 conc + 10% healing effectiveness

@Al Masone.1274 said:Hello, I have almost completed my journey toward becoming a fully fledged battle-chef, which will allow me to sate every group I'll find in the WvW fields. That said, I'm not very sure as to which food effects are the most useful in this mode. I can see the power + ferocity variant to be the most sought after, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best one. I would like your opinion as to which stats bonus could work better. For me, the easiest way would be the celestial food, since it gives everything to everyone, but maybe there are other avenues.Also, I guess it's pretty important the added effect that comes with ascended food:

• 66% health steal on crit
  • -20% condi duration
  • -10% damage
  • +10% healing
  • regen health every secondHere, I think the contest is between that damage reduction and the condi duration reduction, but again I'm not 100% sure about it and I would like the opinion of more experienced wvw players on the matter.All in all, food seems to be fairly strong, since it's basically like having an additional item equipped, which means that picking the right stuff for the group is very important.Please teach me how to keep my zerg healthy and well fed!

Oysters are the way to go if you can make only one food.

New players need this food more than any other since we are not truly being scaled in WvW.

I love anyone who makes ascended foods - with a good utility consumable they make the game a lot better for those with less health, less dps and far less speed.

@"Al Masone.1274" said:

• -10% damage
  • +10% healing

The former for Power and Condi builds, the latter for Healer builds. The other boni can be ignored in WvW zergs.

Here is an excellent summary table, courtesy of that_shaman: https://thatshaman.com/tools/feasts/

Power DPS: Peppercorn-Crusted Sous-Vide Steak or Plate of Peppercorn-Spiced Coq Au VinCondi DPS: Peppered Cured Meat FlatbreadHealer: Bowl of Fruit Salad with Mint Garnish