Opinions on mice

pakuras.7652

Hello, i know there were zylions of topics like this one, but all of them are few years old and I couldnt find answers for my questions there. Only thing I need is name of company which produces the most durable right buttons for their hardware. I don't care about number of buttons, since keyboard is enough for me, and the only function i've ever assigned to mouse wheel was F5 for engineer and mesmer. Only thing i need is high durability of components. Any suggestions? :D

Rocket Jump Ninja is my go to for mouse reviews, check out his recommendations. Keep in mind he recommends based on hand-size, so try it ignore ranking if it doesn't fit your hand class.

Regarding durability, most mice buttons are durable enough to make it difficult to say who is the most durable, given how brief review periods are. You might here horror stories here and there, but the best a review can do is steer you away from exceptionally faulty mice.

I've only ever had to use two mouse so far. One was a Logitech and the current is a Razer. If I were to average their life span it would be around 7 years. Both of them actually still technically work. The Logitech got replaced because over the years the bit of plastic that presses on the actual switches for the left/right button has actually been slightly gouged out by the switch itself. I consider that fairly durable. Also maybe I am just clicking too hard ... but "they don't make them like they used to" also applies so things might no longer be true.

@Khisanth.2948 said:Both of them actually still technically work."Technically".

I have a Razer Deathadder and I love the ergonomics of it, its perfect for my hand (logitech mice is for teens or something, they are tiny... and I did go through like 6 of the MX5 and G5 series in my youth) but the quality and durability? Meeeeeeh so and so. I have found it last about a year or two and then the switches start to wear out (it will doubleclick or loose pressed) - and thats supposed to be high quality switches. That said its still a fairly cheap mouse in comparison to the feature heavy $100-150+ "MMO mice" and I consider it a consumable, lol. I've gone through 3 Deathadders during my GW2 gaming. Still havent found any mouse capable of replacing it and believe me, I've tried even with newer Logitech G502. Had to return that crap and get another Deathadder.

I have a Razer Naga, had it for about 8yrs now still working (sort of, My scroll wheel click is getting bad now, so 7.5yrs of gaming on it until I noticed the wear and tear on just this button). Great for gaming, I'd recommend it. Also heard good things of the Logitech g600, if you can get your hands on one, I heard it was discontinued.

My first ever gaming mouse was a Razer Deathadder and it served me well, very comfortable to use. I decided to upgrade to a Razer Naga due to extra usefulness of the side buttons but I often found myself accidentally pressing the wrong ones (huge l2p issue whoops) and since then I'm now using a Razer Naga Hex V2 (it has this nice space in the middle where you can rest your thumb without accidentally pressing buttons) yet my only problem with it has been that it occasionally 'freezes' and I have zero idea what causes it... I'm likely to switch back to the 12 button Naga.

Hope that helps give you an idea.

You've got to try them yourself as hand shape and holding preference are down to the individual.

For example I find many popular Logitech mice horrible and uncomfortable because they tend to raise towards the front and curve down the buttons.

I like the "hill" closer to the mid and rear of the mouse with flatter extended buttons.

Hence the most comfortable mouse I've been using for the last... must be at least 8 to 9 years or so is a Steelseries Ikari laser. It's solid as a rock, tracking hasn't failed me and the most comfortable shaped mouse I have ever used.

I used to use a wireless left-handed logitech mouse, but now use a wired zowie (fed up with having to replace batteries). The logitech still works, but the zowie is more comfortable as it suits my grip type better. I found this website useful for explaining mouse grip types.https://www.epicgear.com/en/technologies/types-of-mouse-grip

[in case the previous link breaks advertising rules or something.....]

I've got a Razer Naga, but I wouldn't recommend it as I've been disappointed with the reliability/build and aftercare from Razer.

Got it new, but about 6 weeks after the warranty it started intermittently not detecting movement (it's even in a Razer mat), and worst of all the scroll wheel will randomly scroll the opposite direction when you use it. (great fun when you also use your mouse to do 3D modelling which involves lots of zooming in and out!).

Now I realise any manufacture will get products that go wrong. But it was when I contacted Razer support and they said "well it's 6 weeks out of warranty, just go and buy a new one, they aren't that much money"! that made me decide to avoid them and never recommend them.

As Razer didn't help I ended up taking it apart and cleaning it inside, but to no joy. So in the end swapped it out for my budget Logitech mouse (not even a gaming mouse).

I've heard good things about the Logitech G600, so might try that next. Although one thing I realised with the side numberpad is that I surprisingly didn't use much, which I really thought I would. So maybe I don't need a side numberpad.

I've always had good experiences with the durability of Logitech products, and my current mouse (G400) is no exception. It's about 5 or 6 years old now and the only problem I've had is the logo at the back is starting to wear away.

Before this I had a Razer Diamondback which came with my PC and developed problems after a year or two. Most importantly the scroll wheel stopped working completely and the right-click was unreliable. Sometimes it wouldn't detect it at all, sometimes it would read click and hold as several repeated clicks - which caused all kinds of problems like accidentally using an item when I was trying to click and drag it into the bank. On top of that I could never get the software working correctly so I wasn't able to use it as anything more than a basic mouse.

But then I know other people who have had a great experience with Razer products.

If you don't care for special functions and stuff, just use somthing simple... less complicated parts, less things that can break :-D

I work and play with the same basic Logitech RX-250 for more than 10 years now. And if it ever breaks i'll probable replace it with the same model for less than 10€...

@killermanjaro.5670 said:I've got a Razer Naga, but I wouldn't recommend it as I've been disappointed with the reliability/build and aftercare from Razer.

Got it new, but about 6 weeks after the warranty it started intermittently not detecting movement (it's even in a Razer mat), and worst of all the scroll wheel will randomly scroll the opposite direction when you use it. (great fun when you also use your mouse to do 3D modelling which involves lots of zooming in and out!).

I had a similar problem, with my Naga, with the wheel moving randomly and jumping around a bit, but when I moved it to my upgraded gaming computer, it worked great again. Freaky.

Steel Series Rival 300 is my current mouse.It feels good in my hand and I like it and it's customization options.Set speed and acceleration curves and customize what buttons do.It has pretty shiny LEDs that you can customize patterns for depending on which game you play or which "mode" the mouse is in.Set different options depending on which game or program and it'll switch automatically.I assume though that most gaming mice have features like this nowadays, so Steel Series is probably not alone.

But when picking a mouse, I think it's best to go to a physical store and feel them out.Check which fits best in your hand and which has a good weight for you.(Then of course you don't have to buy it in the physical store, but can order it online if you so prefer).

I've only ever had to use two mouse so far. One was a Logitech and the current is a Razer. If I were to average their life span it would be around 7 years. Both of them actually still technically work. The Logitech got replaced because over the years the bit of plastic that presses on the actual switches for the left/right button has actually been slightly gouged out by the switch itself. I consider that fairly durable. Also maybe I am just clicking too hard ... but "they don't make them like they used to" also applies so things might no longer be true.> @Dawdler.8521 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:Both of them actually still technically work."Technically".

I have a Razer Deathadder and I love the ergonomics of it, its perfect for my hand (logitech mice is for teens or something, they are tiny... and I did go through like 6 of the MX5 and G5 series in my youth) but the quality and durability? Meeeeeeh so and so. I have found it last about a year or two and then the switches start to wear out (it will doubleclick or loose pressed) - and thats supposed to be high quality switches. That said its still a fairly cheap mouse in comparison to the feature heavy $100-150+ "MMO mice" and I consider it a consumable, lol. I've gone through 3 Deathadders during my GW2 gaming. Still havent found any mouse capable of replacing it and believe me, I've tried even with newer Logitech G502. Had to return that crap and get another Deathadder.

The annoying thing there is that the switches DO work perfectly fine. It was the things pressing the switches that broke. -_-High quality switches doesn't matter if the thing pressing the switches break down. :angry:Maybe this problem can go away in a few years if 3D printers become as common as smartphones.

I am still using the Razer so technically is correct. :p

On the other hand the issue with Razer seems worse than the Logitech. While the plastic bit pressing on the switch wearing out is just physical wear from use the Razer seems to have occasional issues with the motion tracker where it doesn't fully register the vertical axis.

@Zephyra.4709 said:My first ever gaming mouse was a Razer Deathadder and it served me well, very comfortable to use. I decided to upgrade to a Razer Naga due to extra usefulness of the side buttons but I often found myself accidentally pressing the wrong ones (huge l2p issue whoops) and since then I'm now using a Razer Naga Hex V2 (it has this nice space in the middle where you can rest your thumb without accidentally pressing buttons) yet my only problem with it has been that it occasionally 'freezes' and I have zero idea what causes it... I'm likely to switch back to the 12 button Naga.

Hope that helps give you an idea.

I've got a V2 as well and have also had this freezing issue, usually while scrolling in FireFox. Have you done any research on the cause? So far it's been sporadic, and only once or twice a month, so I haven't worried overmuch about it.

I currently use a wired Razer: Mamba Tournament Edition [https://www.razerzone.com/ca-en/gaming-mice/razer-mamba-tournament-edition] and it's been going strong for just over 3 years now. If you don't mind not having a bunch of buttons it's tuned out to be a solid little mouse with a very comfortable grip. Grabbed mine from best buy for pretty cheap. I do agree with posters above though that if you can get into a store and check out the feel you'll be much happier in your choice and be able to figure out what works best for you.

• 3 years later...

@pakuras.7652 said:Hello, i know there were zylions of topics like this one, but all of them are few years old and I couldnt find answers for my questions there. Only thing I need is name of company which produces the most durable right buttons for their hardware. I don't care about number of buttons, since keyboard is enough for me, and the only function i've ever assigned to mouse wheel was F5 for engineer and mesmer. Only thing i need is high durability of components. Any suggestions? :D

Logitech corded laser mouse. Can get it at London drugs for $8.00 Canadian. I'm a keyboard PvPer as well. I also assign mouse wheel click for ports/shadow step/frequently used ground target. These mice are highly durable and will outlast most if not all dedicated gaming mice worth 10x the cost. Highly recommend. My current one is 6 years old and still going strong.

@Danikat.8537 said:This topic is just over 3 years old, chances are the OP has chosen a new mouse by now.

But... perhaps they need a new one by now? 3 years are a lot for a gaming mouse's life. :p

I recommend SteelSeries mice. <3 Excellent shapes, durable casings, well-placed buttons, excellent software.I do not recommend: Razer mice. Razer's newer mice are kitten: cheap plastic, crappy buttons, intrusive software.

• 1 year later...

3yrs .. pfttttt ... still running my DELL mouse that came with my computer from 2010 ..left click, right click and ... yes you guessed it .. scroll button click ...  extra buttons are great .. but durability .... not sure this thing will ever die

FYI: I command WvW regularly and frankly just a few key bind changes gives me 90% of what I need.  Would be great to have a few more buttons on my mouse, but not if I have to replace it every 3 years

Edited by bomanz.4752