Concerns about Elementalist

System

All talk about ele having low defense is funny because and get this " U can just dodge things" and ele has so much access to vigor + rune of energy in every game mode so you got no excuse, you are just bad at being alive and thats ok you can pick up water trait line.

What i want to see buffed in ele is its conjured weaponm make their cast take longer maybe but their pick up take no animation maybe, and the first tier of fire trait line is boring, + remove all the "cast less X of X" passive gameplay.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@"KashimKudal.2961" said:Dear Elementalist Users and Anet.

I love GW2 and finally after getting out of the military I am able to play again. One of my favorite professions was Elementalist for its quick switching of elements and fast playstyle. After suffering an injury overseas due to combat and having surgery on my forearms to repair my tendons. I can no longer play elementalist correctly like I used to, because my hands aren't nearly as fast as they once were. I'd love to play it again but have a specialization that rewards less element switching but maybe a stacking buff the longer your "camp" in it with a "big bang" skill or something after reaching certain stacks or however a mechanic can be made. I know this wouldn't be too spectacular for everyone to play, but its just a thought. Annnd I'd love a real GS spec. for elementalist xD. Thanks for reading o/

Hey bud, sorry to hear about your injury. This won't solve all your problems but it might solve some: I recently integrated 4x foot pedals into my setup and have them set up to the four attunements. You can read about it in this thread: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/107218/open-world-domination-fire-weaver/p3

There is still a lot of button pressing of course, but it's quite a bit less.

@"volca.7234" said:All talk about ele having low defense is funny because and get this " U can just dodge things" and ele has so much access to vigor + rune of energy in every game mode so you got no excuse, you are just bad at being alive and thats ok you can pick up water trait line.

What i want to see buffed in ele is its conjured weaponm make their cast take longer maybe but their pick up take no animation maybe, and the first tier of fire trait line is boring, + remove all the "cast less X of X" passive gameplay.

Evasion is objectively more difficult to achieve than passive defense, of which ele has the least in comparison to other classes. That ele compensation comes in the form of an attunement which provides them with healing at the cost of dealing any sort of damage is arguably a poor tradeoff. These are just two of the perfectly legitimate issues raised in this thread on elementalist concerns.

I would like to see improvements to conjured weapons, though. I think the whole design should be scrapped, honestly. Maybe something like this?

Conjures no longer leave a physical copy at a target location and become an ammo skill with 2 charges. Additionally, create an F5 for them so they operate like an additional attunement for the duration. Some skills, traits, cooldowns, etc. would probably need to be adjusted, but I think this would make conjures a lot more useful.

Edit: You might also consider giving core ele a baseline conjure F5 that is lost if you take an elite spec.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

@"volca.7234" said:All talk about ele having low defense is funny because and get this " U can just dodge things" and ele has so much access to vigor + rune of energy in every game mode so you got no excuse, you are just bad at being alive and thats ok you can pick up water trait line.

Evasion is objectively more difficult to achieve than passive defense, of which ele has the least in comparison to other classes. That ele compensation comes in the form of an attunement which provides them with healing at the cost of dealing any sort of damage is arguably a poor tradeoff. These are just two of the perfectly legitimate issues raised in this thread on elementalist concerns.

I would like to see improvements to conjured weapons, though. I think the whole design should be scrapped, honestly. Maybe something like this?

Conjures no longer leave a physical copy at a target location and become an ammo skill with 2 charges. Additionally, create an F5 for them so they operate like an additional attunement for the duration. Some skills, traits, cooldowns, etc. would probably need to be adjusted, but I think this would make conjures a lot more useful.

Edit: You might also consider giving core ele a baseline conjure F5 that is lost if you take an elite spec.

Having no passive defense means having more ways devs can insert active defense without worrying about ele getting op

On dodges alone check how ele got access to ton of them, vigor on crit, vigor on aura, vigor on water attune(tempest), vigor on cantrips, vigor into 10 endurance directly(tempest), vigor on dual attack(weaver), barrier on dual attacks, barrier on dodge, 50% endurance on weapon swap(sigil), vigor in weapon skills, heal on dodge end, blast finisher on dodge end, blind on dodge end, dmg on dodge end, condi removal on dodge.... not to mention other non dodge active defenses like magnetic auras(which i fuckin lov), 40%protection tempest, invulns cantrips etc.. etc...

I bet ele has more traits and cogs that interact with dodging than any other class including daredevil

@"KashimKudal.2961" said:Dear Elementalist Users and Anet.

I love GW2 and finally after getting out of the military I am able to play again. One of my favorite professions was Elementalist for its quick switching of elements and fast playstyle. After suffering an injury overseas due to combat and having surgery on my forearms to repair my tendons. I can no longer play elementalist correctly like I used to, because my hands aren't nearly as fast as they once were. I'd love to play it again but have a specialization that rewards less element switching but maybe a stacking buff the longer your "camp" in it with a "big bang" skill or something after reaching certain stacks or however a mechanic can be made. I know this wouldn't be too spectacular for everyone to play, but its just a thought. Annnd I'd love a real GS spec. for elementalist xD. Thanks for reading o/

That was a sad story, I hope you'll find a way to enjoy gw2 again. I really liked your idea about a stacking buff over time that end up in a big bang skill! I see it in an arcane trait or a signet to make an easier access to it.

@volca.7234 said:

@volca.7234 said:All talk about ele having low defense is funny because and get this " U can just dodge things" and ele has so much access to vigor + rune of energy in every game mode so you got no excuse, you are just bad at being alive and thats ok you can pick up water trait line.

Having no passive defense means having more ways devs can insert active defense without worrying about ele getting op

On dodges alone check how ele got access to ton of them, vigor on crit, vigor on aura, vigor on water attune(tempest), vigor on cantrips, vigor into 10 endurance directly(tempest), vigor on dual attack(weaver), barrier on dual attacks, barrier on dodge, 50% endurance on weapon swap(sigil), vigor in weapon skills, heal on dodge end, blast finisher on dodge end, blind on dodge end, dmg on dodge end, condi removal on dodge.... not to mention other non dodge active defenses like magnetic auras(which i kitten lov), 40%protection tempest, invulns cantrips etc.. etc...

I bet ele has more traits and cogs that interact with dodging than any other class including daredevil

I'm aware. Everything I said still stands. These are valid concerns over the elementalist class.

@volca.7234 said:

@volca.7234 said:All talk about ele having low defense is funny because and get this " U can just dodge things" and ele has so much access to vigor + rune of energy in every game mode so you got no excuse, you are just bad at being alive and thats ok you can pick up water trait line.

On dodges alone check how ele got access to ton of them, vigor on crit, vigor on aura, vigor on water attune(tempest), vigor on cantrips, vigor into 10 endurance directly(tempest), vigor on dual attack(weaver), barrier on dual attacks, barrier on dodge, 50% endurance on weapon swap(sigil), vigor in weapon skills, heal on dodge end, blast finisher on dodge end, blind on dodge end, dmg on dodge end, condi removal on dodge.... not to mention other non dodge active defenses like magnetic auras(which i kitten lov), 40%protection tempest, invulns cantrips etc.. etc...

Ele active def is different from most classes as it puts ele in a state of non attk. Both dodges and skill that ppl would call active def for the ele class makes it so that all the ele can do in that moment. Other classes have much stronger active def skill (taking 0 dmg ) where they are able to be aggressive. There a LOT that other classes get that both passive def and active def that are significantly stronger then what ele pulls off and by no means has caused these classes to be balanced in an lesser way. If any thing the other classes have been giving much more dmg where ele has just see progressively more dmg nerfs.

Every class can play the dodge game only ele has to pay the price of having the lowest hp / def in the game even thfs are more tankly then ele and are much much better at the dodge game.

@Jski.6180 said:

Ele active def is different from most classes as it puts ele in a state of non attk. Both dodges and skill that ppl would call active def for the ele class makes it so that all the ele can do in that moment. Other classes have much stronger active def skill (taking 0 dmg ) where they are able to be aggressive. There a LOT that other classes get that both passive def and active def that are significantly stronger then what ele pulls off and by no means has caused these classes to be balanced in an lesser way. If any thing the other classes have been giving much more dmg where ele has just see progressively more dmg nerfs.

Every class can play the dodge game only ele has to pay the price of having the lowest hp / def in the game even thfs are more tankly then ele and are much much better at the dodge game.

A good example of this is riptide. It's a powerful skill that grants movement, potentially amazing healing, and a long evade. However, it requires rotating to water, which deals no damage and in order to get significant healing out of it you must use multiple combo finishers.

The upside of that is that you can potentially full heal off of it while avoiding nearly all damage. The downside is other classes can heal nearly as much without losing damage and at the press of one key.

@Jski.6180 said:

There are a huge amount of active defenses that are also attacks the list is too big but examples would be like HEALING SIGNET like come on, Evasive Arcana, staff fire 4, dagger fire 3, dagger earth 3, dagger firewater3, dagger waterearth3, dagger water 2, scepter waterfire 3, sword earthfire 3, sword water3, weaver healing stance "heal on attacks", all magnetic auras and focus earth 4(reflects) many conjurer weapons skills, ALL weavers dual attacks with traits give barrier etc......

are you people just afraid of rotating into water? you understand how powerful it is to have 5 weapons skills where 3 or 2 of them are vaguely built around healing, healing weapons in the game are rare as is entire classes got none of that only guardian, rev, necros, druid, and ofc Ele who got it on every weapon combination he chooses on every specialization he wants, like i'd call that straight up too good

@volca.7234 said:

There are a huge amount of active defenses that are also attacks the list is too big but examples would be like
HEALING SIGNET
like come on, Evasive Arcana, staff fire 4, dagger fire 3, dagger earth 3, dagger firewater3, dagger waterearth3, dagger water 2, scepter waterfire 3, sword earthfire 3, sword water3, weaver healing stance "heal on attacks", all magnetic auras and focus earth 4(reflects) many conjurer weapons skills, ALL weavers dual attacks with traits give barrier etc......

are you people just afraid of rotating into water? you understand how powerful it is to have 5
weapons skills
where 3 or 2 of them are vaguely built around healing, healing weapons in the game are rare as is entire classes got none of that only guardian, rev, necros, druid, and ofc Ele who got it on every weapon combination he chooses on every specialization he wants, like i'd call that straight up too good

You're talking in circles. It's already been explained that water attunement (and the attunement system itself) represents a tradeoff. Having extra healing skills is, on its surface, purely a benefit. However, in the context of the overall design it is a tradeoff. You gain these skills, so you are expected to use them. But they are also a DPS loss every time you rotate into water. Presumably, if you did not have these skills, the necessity of losing all DPS to rotate into a healing attunement would not be necessary and the tradeoff itself would cease to be.

Don't get me wrong. I love the feel of weaver, in particular the evasion skills and I make excellent use of them. I can also pull off 4x combo heals off of riptide and look like a boss doing it! It's great! However, it is also true that these abilities come at somewhat of a cost when you consider that other classes can do a lot of this stuff better and without having to pull off complex combos. The tradeoff doesn't exist for them and they still get the job done, often while offering more to the groups they join.

These are legitimate concerns.

@volca.7234 said:

There are a huge amount of active defenses that are also attacks the list is too big but examples would be like
HEALING SIGNET
like come on, Evasive Arcana, staff fire 4, dagger fire 3, dagger earth 3, dagger firewater3, dagger waterearth3, dagger water 2, scepter waterfire 3, sword earthfire 3, sword water3, weaver healing stance "heal on attacks", all magnetic auras and focus earth 4(reflects) many conjurer weapons skills, ALL weavers dual attacks with traits give barrier etc......

are you people just afraid of rotating into water? you understand how powerful it is to have 5
weapons skills
where 3 or 2 of them are vaguely built around healing, healing weapons in the game are rare as is entire classes got none of that only guardian, rev, necros, druid, and ofc Ele who got it on every weapon combination he chooses on every specialization he wants, like i'd call that straight up too good

As you cant use more then one wepon at a time on ele i think your list is a bit flawed.

Healing is not an active def its an reaction self support after the fact barrier is an active def skill. As well aura are NOT active def skill they are passive def skill its like calling passive def effects like protection an active def skill.

A lot of ele on dodge skills have a timing problem with them. If you dodge an attk and trigger the effect of the dodge but hit nothing or have no hp missing or even move out of some one attk ranged your waiting the cd. Ele simply cant control its on x cd that why most of them have been dropped to 0 or are not used.

@"supreme.3602" said:More Tempests nerfs... nice. That's one more reason to not log in on that class anymore.

Anet hate the ele class its realty that simple.

I realty think the ele player base should end every thing on these forms with "anet hates eles." At least in the ele room as anet dose nothing more then bate and switch with buffs into nerfs a few updates down the rode.

On topic with all that "ele has access to so many on demand evades and vigor", yeah it's true, then you get roped up in a game of survival hoping to do some damage in PBAoE, but it's honestly the last thing on your mind. I'm trying to sling blinds, soft cc, and heals constantly waiting for my dodge to come back, even with that much vigor I'm just constantly dodging. Then they fixed this with weaver by basically making the class do crap-tons of damage and built in evades and combos into its attacks. This was obviously OP so they've been tweaking it, but like with every ele build they gut the damage, they gut the base healing and "recovery", and you're stuck having to throw half of your traits and utilities at survivability. Glass cannon ele is still the meta for end game content, but no other class is as close to being completely dependent on other classes for everything outside of vigor and direct damage.

People here really can't complain.....because you're still playing the class as I said months ago : Stop playing elementalist! At this point people here are either loving the suffering that comes with the balance of this class or they simply lie to themselves.

It's not an overly complex problem : Stop using elementalist , if nobody use it...they will ofc change it...as it would be pretty hard to sell a MMo product otherwise but for as long as people use the class regardless of the balance well.....I don't see anything every changing for elementalist

@"Arheundel.6451" said:People here really can't complain.....because you're still playing the class as I said months ago : Stop playing elementalist! <

I'm not playing it now. It's sad to me that, after so many years of playing Auramancer, I now can no longer play it at all due to the lack of efficacy of the class.

Worse, I am a 99.5% WvW only player and, instead of doing anything actually constructive with a game mode that they have neglected for years, Anet does "balance" chopping to the point that they make a class that was already almost useless in WvW, completely without merit to the point it is now barely even considered a utility class by most seasoned players.

I won't say more as I pretty much really just have no words.

@Arheundel.6451 said:People here really can't complain.....because you're still playing the class as I said months ago : Stop playing elementalist! At this point people here are either loving the suffering that comes with the balance of this class or they simply lie to themselves.

It's not an overly complex problem : Stop using elementalist , if nobody use it...they will ofc change it...as it would be pretty hard to sell a MMo product otherwise but for as long as people use the class regardless of the balance well.....I don't see anything every changing for elementalist

Ya most ppl have stopped playing it.And groups have asked ppl to stop playing ele as well.

@Arcaneus.6931 said:I wanted to main an ele but since they suck, and long range is trash its been difficult to get into this game in general. I may end up playing OSRS or something at least you can be a decent elementalist on that game.

It's difficult for any class in this game to suck at everything and ele is no exception. Especially if you're new, I'd give it a try for yourself before listening to the salt on the forums.

I think that ele players have the greatest potential to achieve the highest skill level in the game. The class requires a good understanding of build synergy and strong mechanical proficiency. Imagine if Anet gave ele players too much breathing room, relaxing the demanding workload of playing the class, eles would become godmode in a way that other classes can't.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:It's difficult for any class in this game to suck at everything and ele is no exception. Especially if you're new, I'd give it a try for yourself before listening to the salt on the forums.

I played ele to lvl 80 and leveled artificer to max. Eles lack decent long range damage. I don't really enjoy being put into the support category because I main staff. It would be nice if they gave us more long range options, like trident for example to me its the most fun to play around with. The main reason I choose ele is so I can play a long range damage dealer.

I hate it when elites weapons on cloth classes are focused around melee range. Majority of the people I have seen opt for using melee weapons because its viable build and I do feel like I am forced to play melee because of those reasons. IMO the Elites also restrict weapon choices than add more to them.

It would have been better if they just created weapons that can used without having to equip an elite trait. It just isn't fun to be forced into having to pick elites for weapon choices or better damage output.

I have been playing Mage/Cloth classes in MMOs for along time now, the reason I play them is because I enjoy doing damage at long range, having so little options just kills the fun for me. I am not going to be forced into playing some weeb anime trait for better damage output to satisfy the min/maxers this game is plagued with.

@Arcaneus.6931 said:

@AliamRationem.5172 said:It's difficult for any class in this game to suck at everything and ele is no exception. Especially if you're new, I'd give it a try for yourself before listening to the salt on the forums.

I played ele to lvl 80 and leveled artificer to max. Eles lack decent long range damage. I don't really enjoy being put into the support category because I main staff. It would be nice if they gave us more long range options, like trident for example to me its the most fun to play around with. The main reason I choose ele is so I can play a long range damage dealer.

I hate it when elites weapons on cloth classes are focused around melee range. Majority of the people I have seen opt for using melee weapons because its viable build and I do feel like I am forced to play melee because of those reasons. IMO the Elites also restrict weapon choices than add more to them.

It would have been better if they just created weapons that can used without having to equip an elite trait. It just isn't fun to be forced into having to pick elites for weapon choices or better damage output.

I have been playing Mage/Cloth classes in MMOs for along time now, the reason I play them is because I enjoy doing damage at long range, having so little options just kills the fun for me. I am not going to be forced into playing some weeb anime trait for better damage output to satisfy the min/maxers this game is plagued with.

Ele is mostly a staff class OR an unkillable/cant kill tankly build. Your allways going to be left wanting for some other classes effect and build chose.

Your best bet is to unlock tempest and weaver and use what build they have core ele is effectively a dead class.

Super important to understand about gw2 is there are no mages classes as there no dmg types to start with. You can get effects that look like different dmg types though condis and unshockable but you realy do not find these effects on ele vs other classes.

@"Jski.6180" said:Your best bet is to unlock tempest and weaver and use what build they have core ele is effectively a dead class.

Super important to understand about gw2 is there are no mages classes as there no dmg types to start with. You can get effects that look like different dmg types though condis and unshockable but you realy do not find these effects on ele vs other classes.

IMO what you said makes as much sense to me as having all heavy armor classes 1 melee weapon and the rest being long range only. Just think about it if that was the case, would you still enjoy it and say " that's the way it is because its GW2 "?

I think it also devalues the armor types too Heavy, Medium and Light and their respective professions. Why bother making them options in game in the first place if majority of the classes are required to play at melee range to get any decent performance with the aid of elites and traits that makes Light armor just if not better than heavy armor classes at melee.

@Arcaneus.6931 said:

@"Jski.6180" said:Your best bet is to unlock tempest and weaver and use what build they have core ele is effectively a dead class.

IMO what you said makes as much sense to me as having all heavy armor classes 1 melee weapon and the rest being long range only. Just think about it if that was the case, would you still enjoy it and say " that's the way it is because its GW2 "?

I think it also devalues the armor types too Heavy, Medium and Light and their respective professions. Why bother making them options in game in the first place if majority of the classes are required to play at melee range to get any decent performance with the aid of elites and traits that makes Light armor just if not better than heavy armor classes at melee.

Long story short....all you said makes perfect sense.

NO! having a mage class in a MMO acting like a melee brawler is simply speaking "an awful idea", nobody know who came up with such an absurd concept but well......it's is what it is and here we are suffering the consequences of that decision