Fractals

Phoenix.4593

So, I decided to get into fractals. Everything seemed fine until I had no idea what was happening. There was a mechanic I had never seen before that was suddenly introduced and I ended up holding my team up for a solid five minutes while i learned how to scale a wall with this new power I had no idea existed. This created an anxiety within me that makes me not want to try this mode again. I'm sure it wasn't fun for my teammates either. I'm sure my experience wasn't rare, and that many who want nothing to do with fractals had a similar experience. The solution is to open up the maps to practice. Simple. If I could go into the levels without pressure and learn the mechanics, I would be better suited for the real deal. Some people might argue that the point is to solve things under pressure, but I think that's bs. Almost everyone that is a fractal regular has either learned watching YouTube videos on how to clear or has followed someone else's lead. Why not let beginners practice before jumping in. They'd feel more comfortable, and the other players would be grateful to have one less noob to drag around. What I am asking for specifically is that each level be opened up in a practice mode without any enemies so that new players can familiarize themselves with levels before trying them out.

Yes, the game lacks tutorials all across the board, starting with basic mechanics like proper use of CC on defiance bars.

So people need to learn the hard way or from others. I recommend the latter. ;) Why don't you hop on TeamSpeak with some GW2 friends who have experience with Fractals and explain each one's mechanics to you before you enter and during gameplay? It will still be stressful, but for different reasons (not due to fear of failure but merely from stress of absorbing a lot of information at once).

I learn by doing. So unless I fumble through it a bit I wont fully get it. I don't even need a tutorial. Just open up the levels without enemies so I can figure things out and I'll be fine. I think it would be a game-changer not only for new players entering this game mode, but also for veteran players who would have a larger pool of knowledgeable players to work with.

@Phoenix.4593 said:Almost everyone that is a fractal regular has either learned watching YouTube videos on how to clear or has followed someone else's lead.

No, almost everyone who has learned how to do fractals has done so via trial and error or having more experienced players show them (whom themselves often had to fogure things out on their own).

At no point was solo practice required simply because it was never available (untrue actually given T1 fractals can mostly be soloed).

There are multiple paths to success here:

• run with other inexperienced players and discover the content together
  • run with guildies/friends who can explain how the content works
  • join lower tier fractals and often to be found chill, relaxed, new, inexperienced, etc. fractal groups
  • run solo into many fractals and get up to the party which needs practice
  • read/watch guides on the content

Just do the lower tier ones, that's where you're supposed to train for the higher ones.

Fractals are supposed to be the hardest 5 man content, so imo it's to be expected that you're gonna have to challenge yourself under pressure a bit.

You're gonna get more surprises as the tier goes up btw, many bosses gain new mechanics that you don't see on the lower tiers and the combinations of instabilities will force you to think up completely new ways to beat some encounters :)

The only problem with the "practice" idea is that you can't learn team mechanics there, and those pup up a lot in fractals. Like, 4 of you needs to do something at the same time to progress, share an item to get it from A to B, spread across the map to bounce the ball etc.So the usefulness of the training mode would be potentially not so great and you won't end up learning anything.Just explain to people that you're new to that fractal, they'll understand.

I learned all the mechanics as I played. Never felt pressured because I didn't know something. Often just asking solves everything. Plenty of friendly people that will help, sometimes even with achievements. And if no one knows, have fun learning, it's what games are all about.Also, you were describing Twilight Oasis Fractal. The jump mechanic in there is one of the most complicated to figure out in all of the fractals. The jump is straightforward but if you don't know the city well and where you can get on the rooftops you get lost easily. You seem to have figured it out in one try. That's not much of a learning curve.These mechanics are what makes fractals fun and different. They are generally made really well and add a fun element.

I assume it was twilight and that skip we use to jump up on a ledge to then jump up on a wall. Yeah that takes a bit to learn to jump to the middle part push out a little so your next jump you don't hit your head and fall to then land on the middle thing. Easy to overshoot too. Yeah it's a way to cut a few minutes off instead of fighting/running past 30 mobs. We understand some would struggle and don't yell or get mad if you do. At least I don't.

Most Fractals can be fairly comfortably solo'ed on T1, which is what I do whenever a new Fractal comes out, both to learn the basics as well as to listen to the story and take in the environment the devs created without any time pressures for the first round.

That might be something that works for you.Otherwise there are other options like reading/watching a guide, starting a training LFG or playing with Friends/Guild mates at first.

If you are first learning Fractals though I'm sure nobody will mind you being inexperienced as long as it's happening in T1, and if someone does then that's on them and you should allow yourself to ignore that and move on.It's group content and everybody has to learn it from scratch at some point. As long as you don't jump into T4's or CM's unprepared with randoms who expect experienced players, there is really no need to feel bad about that.

I’m a returning player after taking a break for many years.

I decided to set Astralaria as my long-term goal. I mostly solo so I got a bit anxious when I saw the fractal requirements.

Is it true that I can solo the T1 fractals and would that be enough to get the Astralaria collections?

@Ajji.6031 said:I’m a returning player after taking a break for many years.

I decided to set Astralaria as my long-term goal. I mostly solo so I got a bit anxious when I saw the fractal requirements.

Is it true that I can solo the T1 fractals and would that be enough to get the Astralaria collections?

As far as I know low level fractals are enough for most collections. You don't have to be afraid of them and there is no need to do them solo. At least in EU it's not difficult to find a group for t1 fractals, especially when they are daily. There are also often groups who do the fractals for a collection. Groups with requirements in t1 and t2 are rare and can easily be avoided.

When I do the t1 recomended daily, there are often new players with just around 2000 AP (achievement points), and some of them oviously don't know what to do, but that normaly isn't a problem. Often there is an experienced player in the group who is explaining the basic mechanics if necessary.

@Ajji.6031 said:I’m a returning player after taking a break for many years.

You might be able to solo some but definitely not all due to certain mechanics.Just join groups they dont bite. Noone cares about performance in t1.

@Ajji.6031 said:Is it true that I can solo the T1 fractals and would that be enough to get the Astralaria collections?there is only some of fractals t1 you cannot solo. But I agree with Cuks, T1 is a training and learning tier, there is literally any kind of newbies, so don't worry, you'll anger everybody only if you'll afk for the whole fractal.