choosing a new gpu

ive been comparing the rtx 3070, the rtx 2060s, and the rtx 2060. i like the improvements the 30 series offers but im wondering if its worth it. im not exactly concerned about the graphics. im more concerned about 5 years from now whether the 20 series will still be great in new games running on medium settings or whether ill need a 30 series gpu to run medium settings or even low settings. thanks for your input.

@jhern.6097 said:ive been comparing the rtx 3070, the rtx 2060s, and the rtx 2060. i like the improvements the 30 series offers but im wondering if its worth it. im not exactly concerned about the graphics. im more concerned about 5 years from now whether the 20 series will still be great in new games running on medium settings or whether ill need a 30 series gpu to run medium settings or even low settings. thanks for your input.

If you're thinking about the future 3070 is the obvious choice. 2060 should do fine for some time though if you're not expecting to play higher settings in games to come.

Keep in mind that the stuttering frames issue you reported in your other thread might not resolve with a new GPU if you go with nVidia. They've got a bug in their drivers right now, and no one seems to have isolated what the common factor is between people who have the problem and people who don't.

But if you have the issue, you can't upgrade your nVidia driver past 452.06

See your other thread where I posted links and info about this.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the 30 series are actually cheaper than a lot of the 20 series, that's if you can find them. The 3060Ti list for around $430 and the 3070 is $499 and both have way better performance benchmarks than all but the 2080Ti which is a very expensive card. You'll get way more bang for your buck with the 30 series.

@Farout.8207 said:Some of the 30 series are actually cheaper than a lot of the 20 series, that's if you can find them. The 3060Ti list for around $430 and the 3070 is $499 and both have way better performance benchmarks than all but the 2080Ti which is a very expensive card. You'll get way more bang for your buck with the 30 series.

Obviously, it depends on the country. Here the 30 series (xx70 and xx80) is 700+ EUR.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Farout.8207 said:Some of the 30 series are actually cheaper than a lot of the 20 series, that's if you can find them. The 3060Ti list for around $430 and the 3070 is $499 and both have way better performance benchmarks than all but the 2080Ti which is a very expensive card. You'll get way more bang for your buck with the 30 series.

Obviously, it depends on the country. Here the 30 series (xx70 and xx80) is 700+ EUR.

Yes, I posted US retail. The problem right now is the scalpers. People are buying them at retail and then jacking up the price to resell them. Prices will cam down soon enough. I’m looking for a new card myself and I personally think it’s well worth the wait.

If you can get a 3060Ti for the recommended price of 399 dollars, then buy it. The card is as fast as a 2080 Super.

And in general it makes no sense to buy hardware for the future. Buy when you need it!

The value loss of PC components is quite high. E.g. if you need only a midrange GPU, then buy only a midrange GPU and another midrange GPU in 3 years. That's cheaper than buying a high end GPU, which you do not need, today to get the same performance as with the midrange GPU in 3 years. Buy only high end if you need high end today. Otherwise you will pay more than necessary.