Laranthir? (spoilers)

Fenella.2634

@Tyson.5160 said:

Also, as we have seen with Caithe in Season 4, Sylvari are no longer immune to being corrupted by other dragons. Who's to say Aurene is the only one being able to convert other dragon's minions?

Was that due to the good Sylvari being microscopically still connected to Mordremoth ( a guess highly diluted but still dragon minions) before we killed him?

It has been implied that Sylvari were immune to corruption due to being minions of Mordremoth.I don't think it was directly stated anywhere though.

Still a controversial topic, with Sylvari being immune because of being a dragon minion or because of the protection of the Pale Tree through the dream. It’s unfortunately still a topic we don’t have a concrete answer to.

I’m still of the opinion that it’s a combination of the two. As to date we haven’t seen another dragon minion be corrupted by another dragon( we got Subject Alpha, etc. because of Inquest meddling, blah blah, but still no actual evidence like what would happen if Kralkatorrik branded over a Risen while Zhaitan was alive.)

During the personal story, it was advised that the Sylvari were immune to the corruption of Zhaitan, which allowed the Pact a victory in Orr, among other reasons. Even in Caledon Forest you had Risen fighting right next to the Soundless village, (which should have no such protection) which produced no Risen Sylvari.

In Season 2, the Pale Tree spoke about that the reason the Sylvari were immune to dragon corruption was because of the Pale Trees protection. This is of course the Pale Trees reasoning without telling the other races that they are all dragon minions. This protection is also talking about Mordremoth’s corruption as well, mainly because you need to explain how a whole playable race isn’t immediately taken over by Mordremoth the very second it awakes.

Then you have Taimi advising that she thought dragon minions couldn’t be corrupted by other dragons in Season 4, but again no concrete answers, other then the reasoning from Taimi that maybe because Aurene absorbed Mordremoth’s energy as an egg.

Guess the closest thing we have is Caithe being kinda branded by Aurine and the Awakened Sylvari that Joko managed to enslave.The specifics of these are still unclear though, the latter we'll likely never get an answer for since Joko is probably nothing more than a pile of fertiliser on a mountain somewhere these days.

That’s another oddity is that the Pale Tree protection that is allegedly suppose to protect the Sylvari from the Elder Dragons is defeated by Joko’s awakening magic. That’s unless that protection only extends to Mordremoth and that the other dragon’s can’t corrupt the Sylvari.

Or Risen are different from Awakened. I think the protection is against unwillingly being corrupted, not complete immunity to necromancy.

Well one is dragon corruption, the other is being reanimated and bound to the will of Joko, which although being different is similar to Zhaitan.

Aye, we don't quite know the specifics but the two do seem to be different.Zhaitans magic while Necromantic isn't quite the same as the Necromancy we use, much like how Jormag is about Ice/water magic and yet it's different to the kind of magic elementalists have access to, same goes for other Dragons and their powers.

Plus Joko is/was on a whole other level to most common Necromancers, partly perks of being a Lich I guess although I expect it had more to do with his exceptionally long life and the kind of power and knowledge he accumulated in that time, much of which is probably long lost to time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@anninke.7469 said:

@anninke.7469 said:Anyone else getting slightly hopeful that Laranthir's absence may have an actual reason after all?

No.

After what they did to the Spirits, the norn aspect of the Saga in general, and to my boy Smodur - zero faith in ANet's narrative capabilities. I'd prefer they not ruin Laranthir somehow as well.

Might be the wise thing to do. I'm afraid it will end up like that but I still can't not get my hopes up. Oh well, the dissapointment to come is my own doing I guess.

And slightly off-topic, I was not pleased by Aife coming all the way to the EotN and tell me almost the same thing we've been told for FIVE KITTEN YEARS about the Pale Tree's health.

After having finally completed the newest episode I am still torn. On the one hand hope dies last - and so I'll continue to hope that they'll bring Laranthir back as the leader of the Vigil. He's been telling us that he'll replace General Soulkeeper in the event of her demise for years now after all. But on they other hand Jhavi tells me that "she's getting used to it" and that she didn't hear from Laranthir at all and my hope sinks. And considering how they treated other characters recently, like Smodur - oh my... But if they ditch Laranthir as the Vigil's General just because Sylvari aren't en vogue any longer or because it is considered good storytelling now to get rid of long existing characters I will be VERY disappointed.

Sorry to kind of necro this thread but I had to get this off my chest. I like Laranthir. He was the one of the last of my favorite characters who was still around (usually my favorite characters get killed or booted out of the story), mostly because nobody was interested in him, and I made the mistake to think he was safe because of that. Guess I was wrong.

@Fenella.2634 said:I'm quite surprised noone has discussed Laranthir yet. Was he still Almorra's second-in-command by the time of Whisper in the Dark? If so, he should be the next leader of the Vigil.In the story I get the impression that Jhavi could well take this place, but maybe she is just supposed to take over the keep.

Is Laranthir still part of the story, or did he resign sometime ago offscreen? If he's still around, he should return to the limelight very soon.

To hazard guesses, he's either incarcerated or they've killed him off-screen. Laranthir just wouldn't not be back with the Vigil after Almorra's passing.