[Answered] Why did we get DRMs instead of new Strikes?

Ashantara.8731

I don't understand why ANet repeatedly introduces "a new thing" only to abandon it soon after?

• Dungeons: were replaced by Fractals :-1:
  • Bounties: were replaced by Strike Missions (okay, I never liked bounties to begin with)
  • Strikes: were replaced by Dragon Response Missions
  • WvW: also a neglected/abandoned child

A lot of players were expecting a new Strike Mission with this episode - I hope there will be one by the end. It's a great game mode.

Just stick to something I say. Dungeons were great, why the need for Fractals? Strike Missions were fun, why the need for DRMs, which are lengthy and boring to repeat?

I guess they don't want to call DRM a strike mission because it is built to be able to solo it (and imagine the rage when players are forced to group up for story). And its more an open world event anyways (tho some strikes were similar, Visions of the Past in example). I do agree they should focus more on current and stick with it if its samey. But well devs may have some awesome idea thats completely different play in future and it would be a shame to say no directly to real innovative things.

For WvW I agree they really have to do something. They mentioned alliances sooo long ago and kept say "more info in upcoming months" several times. I do not want to change my server but I do like to play WvW with friends which are spread out allover different servers. They should have just made some group up function like pvp teams and let you idk register for wvw so it just places you against other teams that registered or something, idk. And have solo players just fill in the empty spaces left.

@Raizel.1839 said:Because Anet likes to experiment on new things everytime instead of refining old ones, Strikes will become the new dungeons.

I know, and that's exactly what I am criticizing. It was a rhethorical question. ;)

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Bounties were not replaced by strike missions. They’re were being phased out during LS4.

When I say "replaced" I mean that ANet frequently drops one game mode and introduces a new one, and my point was that they should instead stick to an idea when it's good (like Dungeons and Strikes) and expand on it.

The DRMs are passable as current events. What I think happened is that they had planned to have actual episodes to finish out LS5 but covid hit and it proved difficult to develop content as they had before.

I’m assuming that NCSoft is still set on the expansion being released at a specific target date so something had to give to make this happen which unfortunately was the last half of LS5. We’ll likely see current event level content up to the release of the expansion.

I hope that I’m wrong about all of this but this is what it appears to be from my perspective.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:Bounties were
not replaced
by strike missions. They’re were being phased out during LS4.

When I say "replaced" I mean that ANet frequently drops one game mode and introduces a new one, and my point was that they should instead stick to an idea when it's good (like Dungeons and Strikes) and expand on it.

Ok. “Dropped to do something else” is much different from “replaced”. I used the same meaning of “replaced” as you had used in the previous bullet point about fractals and dungeons. In that case, fractals has replaced dungeons. You’re using the word “replaced” through your post but giving what “replaced” means different meanings throughout.

I think they did all they intended with Strikes. They set up a range of difficulties and enough that they could rotate them with a days grace so that every day of the week wouldn't be the same as the previous week.

I don't think it's a question of them dropping them, it's just they did everything they planned to do for this Season. 6 is a decent number to have and strikes (pun intended) a fair balance of how many to have. At the end of the day, there has to be a finite number and 6 was that number.

They can now hopefully come back to these in EoD or LS6. Or backdate older content

Also DRMs don't replace Strikes, they carry on the basic format Forged With Steel created, so in fact they are doing what people want - not abandoning ideas and carrying on with new ones. The bigger issue is, they didn't really do much with the content. DRMs are fairly basic, whilst Forged was much more varied and interesting (imo). Ultimately the two have coexisted since Visions, albeit under different names rather than one repalcing the other

@"Randulf.7614" said:They can now hopefully come back to these in EoD or LS6. Or backdate older content

Unless they "delight" us with another great idea of the likes of DRMs. ;)

Also DRMs don't replace Strikes, they carry on the basic format Forged With Steel created

You have a valid point there. I didn't think of that.

The bigger issue is, they didn't really do much with the content. DRM's are fairly basic, whilst Forged was much more varied and interesting (imo).

:+1:

It probably takes 6 months to design any new content. If you could go back 6 month, you will probably see alot of threads saying we needed more strikes like forging steel and less like WoJ. DRM seem like the natural evolution of the forging steel strike. Of course in hindsight we see that forging steel and cold war are the least popular strikes, but once you spend 3 months building drms, you are kinda stuck finishing them.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:Bounties were not replaced by strike missions. They’re were being phased out during LS4.

DRMs have not replaced strikes unless there was some announcement that I missed that states otherwise.

I saw bounties as a mechanic of Elona and the Crystal Desert, notice how we had bounties up until we technically left the desert, Thunderhead Peak Dragonfall. The bounties were provided mainly be the order of shadows, so since we are out of those territories, no more bounties.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Shadowmoon.7986" said:alot of threads saying we needed more strikes like forging steel and less like WoJ.

W00t?! I got the exact opposite impression.

Check the general forum tab around page 52, those are threads that were active when Forging steel came out. You get threads like "https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/100657/story-strike-mission-was-a-clever-choice". Compare that the current threads about DRMs. At release, forging steel was meet with a positive reception.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:I don't understand why ANet repeatedly introduces "a new thing" only to abandon it soon after?

• Dungeons: were replaced by Fractals :-1:
  • Bounties: were replaced by Strike Missions (okay, I never liked bounties to begin with)
  • Strikes: were replaced by Dragon Response Missions
  • WvW: also a neglected/abandoned child

A lot of players were expecting a new Strike Mission with this episode - I hope there will be one by the end. It's a great game mode.

Just stick to something I say. Dungeons were great, why the need for Fractals? Strike Missions were fun, why the need for DRMs, which are lengthy and boring to repeat?

Easy because apparently they laid of too much employee and senior staffs? Or maybe people quitting anet too. If you look at anet career post they look some people to fill crucial position. Which mean they are currently undermanned and of course we got underwhelming "new things" in result.They just doing the minimum (or below minimum maybe?) to hold community's interest like when they announce alliance to keep people hope but never deliver it.

@Randulf.7614 said:I think they did all they intended with Strikes. They set up a range of difficulties and enough that they could rotate them with a days grace so that every day of the week wouldn't be the same as the previous week.

I don't think it's a question of them dropping them, it's just they did everything they planned to do for this Season. 6 is a decent number to have and strikes (pun intended) a fair balance of how many to have. At the end of the day, there has to be a finite number and 6 was that number.

They can now hopefully come back to these in EoD or LS6. Or backdate older content

Also DRMs don't replace Strikes, they carry on the basic format Forged With Steel created, so in fact they are doing what people want - not abandoning ideas and carrying on with new ones. The bigger issue is, they didn't really do much with the content. DRMs are fairly basic, whilst Forged was much more varied and interesting (imo). Ultimately the two have coexisted since Visions, albeit under different names rather than one repalcing the other

If they stop with strikes rn or after 1 or 2 more the feature will be wasted. It has the potential to fill a space between the bigger time investment of raids and the way smaller time investment of fractals while also giving lw storng multiplayer sense and replayability.

They should refine the design instead of dropping it entirely.

https://massivelyop.com/2020/11/17/flameseeker-chronicles-first-impressions-of-guild-wars-2s-icebrood-saga-truce/

We asked ArenaNet’s representatives why this new type of instance is capped at 5 players rather than 10 like Steel and Fire. Their reason was that Steel and Fire, while designed to scale from 5-10 players, becomes much more challenging in smaller groups, a frustrating experience that I think a lot of players have shared. They found that the mechanics scale much better in the 1-5 player range. While ArenaNet did not mention this, I think it is also important to note that allowing the player to complete this content solo also makes it possible for the dragon response missions to become part of the story without feeling like a content type bait-and-switch....ArenaNet was quick to assure us that the purpose of dragon response missions was not to replace fractals or strikes, but as something new and different, and that they have no plans to discontinue work on those any time soon.

See article

@"Infusion.7149" said:https://massivelyop.com/2020/11/17/flameseeker-chronicles-first-impressions-of-guild-wars-2s-icebrood-saga-truce/

ArenaNet was quick to assure us that the purpose of dragon response missions was not to replace fractals or strikes, but as something new and different, and that they have no plans to discontinue work on those any time soon.

Thank you for this information! <3

Here is my opinion on strikes.

The team shifted off of strikes after they created Whisper (Which was a great stepping stone to raids). They then created forging steel and cold war, which shouldn't even be classified as strike missions. Literally the only thing that is raid-like about them is a 10 man squad. No challenge, no mechanics, no heals, no tank.

I would have thought that since strike missions are supposed to be "stepping stones to raids in order to make the raiding community healthier and grow." the next logical step would be for a strike mission that requires you to have a tank, since over half of all raids require one, if not two.

Instead they gave us a long as heck 10 man instance that takes 30-45 minutes to complete in FS followed by a tower defense simulator in CW.

Strikes were a fantastic concept, Anet just went too far away from the actual 10 man model in the last two releases, which is why it hasn't been well received lately. If they go back to focusing on an encounter that requires boons, heals and a tank, it will be just great for our raiding community as a whole.

I think with DRMs ANet tries to avoid the mistake of season 1: creating new content on existing maps but keep it replayable. A point which is often raised with season 1: it cannot be replayed with some small exceptions. With DRMs the game designers do not have to create new map material to further the story, especially since Kryta seems home to Primordus.So DRMs are no replacement for strikes or whatever but just a way to reuse parts of the map anew and to keep these parts playable without cluttering the old maps further with more content like the aftermath of Joko, Ley-Anomaly, etc.