Botting Players

Master Childman.2135

I suspect at best what Anet does with botting reports is see if there are a bunch related to the same map, and if so, maybe send a GM there to ping the players. They probably want to be overly cautious and not ban legitimate players, so a botting report by itself is not something they can act on.I suspect that for the most part, it probably isn't worth Anet's time to deal with it - they ban some accounts, those people create new ones, and repeat. The botters probably don't pay any actual money (convert to non-free account) until they have gathered enough stuff to make it worthwhile.

@Solvar.7953 said:I suspect at best what Anet does with botting reports is see if there are a bunch related to the same map, and if so, maybe send a GM there to ping the players. They probably want to be overly cautious and not ban legitimate players, so a botting report by itself is not something they can act on.I suspect that for the most part, it probably isn't worth Anet's time to deal with it - they ban some accounts, those people create new ones, and repeat. The botters probably don't pay any actual money (convert to non-free account) until they have gathered enough stuff to make it worthwhile.

I think Anet is very generous in what they allow on free accounts. As it stands, ftp accounts are limited to starter maps up to level 10, and Lion's Arch unlocks at level 35. Personally, I would take it further and make Lion's Arch at level 35 the absolute max, and make maps that provide access to materials above level 3 unavailable on ftp accounts. I know it would upset folks, but it would be one way to discourage players just creating new free accounts and continue to afk farm and/or botting.

They don't care about botting. There's a guy that goes to the meta's with 5-6 accs, one mesmer portalling all the other ones that are necros. All running around in the same outfit, same guild name, basically mocking everyone else and slapping them in the face with it. Reporting him every time, even opened a ticket with all the account ID's. The reply was to answer in a forum topic with a link to where it was being discussed.. Guess what, 20 out of the 40 replies where from that botter's main account about how that kind of of playstyle should be allowed which I also replied in the ticket but I got the same response, reply on forum. Not reporting anything anymore since then cause the people who care about the game are treated as dumb monkeys anyway apparently, you just get thrown into a circle that has no end -.-' (and fyi, that guy is still around doing the same thing after 2+ years, says enough imo)

edit: and yes, multiboxing should be considered botting even though it's considered to be a grey zone while it really isn't:

1. Each account must be attended at all times.-> you're not "attending" all of them at all times, you're rotating between them
  2. Each account must be operated independently of each other.-> using a mesmer to portal the other ones around constantly isn't operating them independently of each other.The only ones defending multiboxing are people who actually multibox themselves, ofc those people don't want that to stop, what would you expect.. -.-'

Anet probably leaves multi boxing as a grey area, because they are happy to have that person to have paid for 6 accounts. I'm not going to defend multiboxing (I only have a single account), but based on rules as Anet has presented them, it seems the usage described above falls within them.Anet could certainly clarify the rules or add more restrictions (when multiboxing, the accounts can not be on the same map would be a simple one to prevent this). But unless Anet actually wants to enforced the rules, it really makes no difference, and I've not seen much indication that Anet does want to spend much effort enforcing the rules.

@Master Childman.2135 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Players may want to read and understand the official policy on this topic which can be found here:

I think your answer can very clearly and simply make it clear to what extent a player who uses autoattack can be considered afk or not. [...] As a general policy, any form of unattended gameplay is prohibited in Guild Wars 2. This includes: the use of auto-casting abilities to farm while not at your computer or not actively playing the game. [...]

[...] Note that this does not mean that you cannot be away from your computer (AFK) while you are online. Idling in a city or even in the open world is not prohibited, though your character should not perform actions, participate in content, or otherwise engage with the world while you are away from your computer. [...]

So if you want to do laundry or cook or watch Netflix, please avoid farming, even using in-game the autoattack.

Not really, It is prohibited when you use it while being away from keyboard. This has been stated in your own linked quote as well as many other times by support. Please stop misspreading information.

To explain why this matters to me.There is a lot of confusion in this matter and some people are very fierce against farmers. Everyone is entitled to their opinion in the matter (see mine down below), but it is often based on wrong information. This is leading to frustration to both sides and rather flamatory behaviour by those against this kind of farming in general towards those who do it. Flamatory behaviour towards other players is bad as well and should be avoided.

And now my personal opinion. -Meh. I have no interest in AFK-farming at all (I dislike any kind of numbless farming to be honest), but I do not mind people doing it within the set rules by GW2 as they do not bother me in enjoying my life in GW2. What I am against is the monetisation of RTM and goldsellers who are behind real farmbots. They are harmfull as they use stolen accounts, stolen credit cards and as they are often used by North Korean regime to bypass blockade

@"Smoosh.2718" said:One way I found how to detect a macro user is this: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Bouquet_of_RosesThrow that in to their hands before combat starts, and watch them still try to do their skills, they wont remove it from their hands. Slap them all with a temp ban then a longer ban if repeated then perma ban them out of the game if they do it for a 3rd time.

You sir are an absolute genius XDI never thought of doing that lmao!!

@mercury ranique.2170 said:

@"kharmin.7683" said:Players may want to read and understand the official policy on this topic which can be found here:

I think your answer can very clearly and simply make it clear to what extent a player who uses autoattack can be considered afk or not. [...] As a general policy, any form of unattended gameplay is prohibited in Guild Wars 2. This includes: the use of auto-casting abilities to farm while not at your computer or not actively playing the game. [...]

[...] Note that this does not mean that you cannot be away from your computer (AFK) while you are online. Idling in a city or even in the open world is not prohibited, though your character should not perform actions, participate in content, or otherwise engage with the world while you are away from your computer. [...]

So if you want to do laundry or cook or watch Netflix, please avoid farming, even using in-game the autoattack.

Not really, It is prohibited when you use it while being away from keyboard. This has been stated in your own linked quote as well as many other times by support. Please stop misspreading information.

To explain why this matters to me.There is a lot of confusion in this matter and some people are very fierce against farmers. Everyone is entitled to their opinion in the matter (see mine down below), but it is often based on wrong information. This is leading to frustration to both sides and rather flamatory behaviour by those against this kind of farming in general towards those who do it. Flamatory behaviour towards other players is bad as well and should be avoided.

And now my personal opinion. -Meh. I have no interest in AFK-farming at all (I dislike any kind of numbless farming to be honest), but I do not mind people doing it within the set rules by GW2 as they do not bother me in enjoying my life in GW2. What I am against is the monetisation of RTM and goldsellers who are behind real farmbots. They are harmfull as they use stolen accounts, stolen credit cards and as they are often used by North Korean regime to bypass blockade

I have no problem with players "abandoning" their inert and inactive characters in the game to remain AFK and engage in other real-world activities; the presence of these characters has no impact on the game and its economy; after a certain period of inactivity of the character, the system itself warns him and closes the connection (a character who does not perform any action in the game does not get any kind of reward from events). On the contrary, what I contest is that players "abandon" their characters by activating precise mechanisms to farm and gather resources in the game while they are AFK. This type of activity damages the game and its economy.

Aside from the fact that the use of in-game macros for farming is clearly prohibited, the use of auto-casting abilities to farm while not at your computer or not actively playing the game, is also prohibited. This is what I read in the link proposed by the user. I've read wrong? is the link wrong or old?

If you decide to leave your character stationary anywhere on the map and remain AFK, I will not contest it. If you decide to leave your character anywhere on the map and activate farming mechanics (for example, your character performs actions) and remain AFK, I will contest it.

It is difficult for me to think that all of this could be considered a spread of incorrect information. But I'm always ready to step back and acknowledge my mistakes, if I've made them.

Today I took a tour of Domain of Istan and it was fun to find players here too intent on farming AFK (Modri ​​Caverns area). I found rengers intent on setting all kinds of traps on the ground, but the funniest character was a necromancer so busy using all of her skills, that she has continued and continues to use them even though there are no creatures to kill ( there are the minions that continue to move around in vain waiting for a victim). And let's not forget the usual groups of Engineers also busy putting all the turrets at their disposal on the ground.

The above example of ineffective AFK farming may be one reason why Anet doesn't care much about preventing it. Other than looking bad, it really doesn't affect the game much.I have to imagine that even the effective AFK farmers probably are not generating that much loot that it really doesn't affect supply/prices of things much. Of course, it costs the farmer nothing else, so even if they are only generate a couple gold an hour, that is more than zero.It would be nice for Anet to prevent that from happening, but in the great scheme of things, I personally don't see it as a real high priority.

Today I took a tour of Domain of Kourna and, hidden in a cave, I found a small group of rangers engaged in setting traps for AFK farming. Farming what? experience? karma? materials? I just felt sad for them, after reporting them.

This afternoon, however, I took a tour of Jahai Bluffs and found this map not very popular with AFK players. In fact, I found a poor loser necromancer with his minions farming AFK, hidden among the barracks. I was almost tempted to give him a donation to reward him for his activity, but I preferred to continue exploring the map and the living story.

• 2 weeks later...

@Master Childman.2135 said:The old Shiverpeak Mountains was also targeted by botting players. Today I found some necromancers farming AFK in Timberline Falls ... Timberline Falls? but what resources are recovered here? once again I just found a bunch of losers.

I’m pretty sure like t4 totems or t3 totems come from there. I tried farming them before off of mobs when making a gen 2. Drop was way to low for me to run around killing. Farmed gold, bought them instead

@Teratus.2859 said:I've loved the Necromancer profession in this franchise for almost 15 years.. my first character in Gw1 was a Necromancer and in Gw2 I use them very often as a second main and have a good few of them.Minions are also one of my favourite class mechanics in this game and I am heavily invested in them on a few builds.

This fear that Minions will end up being gutted and completely destroyed because of these AFK farmers is something I have expressed many many times on the forums and in game as an argument for why this should not be allowed.

I dont see why. This game has -0- pet control, and they are the weakest of any game system I've seen. They clearly dont intend to fix that, either.

• Confused 2

@Spook.5847 said:

@Teratus.2859 said:I've loved the Necromancer profession in this franchise for almost 15 years.. my first character in Gw1 was a Necromancer and in Gw2 I use them very often as a second main and have a good few of them.Minions are also one of my favourite class mechanics in this game and I am heavily invested in them on a few builds.

This fear that Minions will end up being gutted and completely destroyed because of these AFK farmers is something I have expressed many many times on the forums and in game as an argument for why this should not be allowed.

I dont see why. This game has -0- pet control, and they are the weakest of any game system I've seen. They clearly dont intend to fix that, either.

Many of us who are fans of the Minion mechanic want to have more control over them which will never happen if the mechanic is so easily abused by AFK players.

As for weak.. Minions are definitely not weak and they can easily help make a player nearly invincible in most of the PvE game, they're arguably one of the best methods of self healing sustain despite the fact that lifesteal is such a weak mechanic overall.This is largely why minions are the go to for AFK players in the first place, good enough damage to kill farm combined with good sustain to keep a player alive when AFK.

That is why we worry the mechanic will be gutted eventually to stop AFK abuse and that will destroy minions for those of us who actually like them and use them as intended for the one man army experience.