Transmuting legendary precursor backpack

Hi! I'm in the midst of crafting The Ascension but have decided to take it slow and easy to complete the last part which is the Gift of Fortune. However, in the meantime, I'm still using Wings of Ascension as my backpack. I have backpack skins which I would like to use but am very afraid that if I transmuted it, I wouldn't be able to use it to craft the legendary.

Does anyone know if I can transmute it and then transmute it back to use it for crafting?

Yeah, never throw your precursors into the mystic forge. I knew that years ago, then after a hiatus forgot about it, then re-learned that the hard way.Thankfullly, Anet was very understanding and i got the item back, so no harm done, but if they haven't i would have lost the precursor.

Anyway, you don't have to transmute it back, it doesn't matter how it looks, as long as it's the precursor item.When you hover over it with your mouse it'll say "Transmuted Trumphant hero's legging's" or something, whatever you transmuted. As long as it says the correct item, you're good. It'll just look different.