What next elite spec must have to be worth the purchase... - [Merged]

Arheundel.6451

This is a personal list more than everything else, a list of main factors the next elite spec must include to be worth the purchase...not that I think my opinion should hold any meaning to you but personally I won't need another variant of GS/LB core ranger as it has been with soulbeast and druid in the end.

1 ) Must have access to AoE, in good measure, melee or ranged...with the latter being preferred , ideally without ridiculous cast time/animation

2 ) No pet reliant, I need something openly viable for zerg fights....no something barely usable in a GvG scenario with all godlike support coming from pro FB/tempest/scrappers -a note to those suggesting the root/crows build-

3 ) More condi removal , right now with the current balance it's really really really hard to keep with the condi burst dished out by specs like condi thief , condi herald primarily ...others can be truly a challenge : burning ele , burning guardian , condi core necro/reaper , condi mirage and I feel Anet is planning to release even more condi burst because..why not?! . Not asking ofc for perma resistance or condi immunity....I just need more than what I have now.....ideally they'd balance condis in WvW but..oh well

Don't care about story as I am not pver unless required, got all 7 mounts and all masteries. At this point nothing would interest me more than an elite that will solve some of the ranger ever present issues persisting since launch; not interested in playing another "core ranger" with different pets but same playstyle....I hope for the best and pray for a better opportunity for the whole ranger community with End of Dragons

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, number#2 is the most important. I can live without more AoE or more condi cleanse.

I want the next ranger's e-spec to replace the common pet list by a limited selection of familiar that are nigh impervious to damage but don't do more damage than the mesmer's sword clone Auto-attacking. I don't mind if there is minion utility skills to compensate the loss of damage from the main mechanism (I don't even mind if the utility are beyond useless) as long as the pet/familiar from the main mechanism is nigh impervious to damage.

Sentinel: (I chose this one because the tengu ranger is called a sentinel in Naphui Quarters)

Main mechanism: The shaman forsake the common pets and gain access to gain a link with celestial beings' essence. Essences can only be disabled, they do not take damage but deal little to no damage. (4 essences available)

• essence of kirin: F2: Kirin seal: Passive: The sentinel have increased healing power and concentration (100 each). Active: allies close to your kirin essence are healed every second for 5 seconds.
  • essence of turtle: F2: Turtle seal: Passive: The sentinel have increased toughness and vitality (100 each). Active: Foes close to your turtle essence are slowed and crippled every second for 5 seconds.
  • essence of phoenix: F2: Phoenix seal: Passive: The sentinel have increased condition damage and expertise (100 each). Active: Foes close to your phoenix essence are burned every seconds for 5 seconds.
  • essence of dragon: Passive: F2: Dragon seal: The sentinel have increased power and ferocity (100 each). Active: Foes close to your dragon essence take damage every seconds for 5 seconds.

Simple and effective. You can imagine a GM trait that share the passive with allies, a GM trait that increase the duration of the Active And the last GM could double the passive effect on the sentinel. Three different gameplay, all potentially useful in every gamemodes (Afterall shared Dragon seal passive is a garantied spot in PvE raids).

For the fun, you imagine utility skills that interact with your pet instead of being direct skills, let's call those skills: Prayers

• Heal: Reach to your summoned essence asking for help. Gain health and a boon based on the essence summoned.
  • Reach to your essence making it's next 10 attacks apply torment.
  • Reach to your essence making it burst into an AoE dazing and damaging foes around it.
  • Reach to your essence making it grant endurance and a boon based on the essence to allies around it.
  • ... etc.

Anything which will alter gameplay significantly is gonna be worth picking up because this game's design philospohy and balance still allows people to have "mains"

Engineer is gonna be a must have for Engineer fans, because Especs are the only way they are gonna get new weapons to play around with.Warrior would be hype to get a ranged option which isn't as bad as their current options.

Literally any friggin weapon would be great for Rev. Rev is so starved for Weapon loadouts it's not even funny.

Before talking about a new spec, ranger needs the class fixed so the actual specs are fun to play.To be adding more over a bad and broken foundation doesn't work as we already seen with the last two specs. Same dilemma as with the pets, before asking for more pets i would ask to fix the pets we already have.

Um what? It NEEDS TO BE PET RELIANT. You understand pets are our class mechanic right? We don't have a single Elite spec that does anything with our pet, its pretty pathetic.Druid when released didn't have a single skill or trait that interacted with your pet what so ever. And Soulbeast was made for the "I hate my pet" crybabies....if you don't like pets don't play ranger, simple as that.

Guild Wars 1 had amazing player and pet synergy, with pet attack skills that basically let you use double the skills other players could at the same time, and majority of pet based builds let your pet provide you with ridiculous amounts of heals and energy regen.Sadly with GW2, majority of pets are bugged and ANet has done a pretty awful job at giving Rangers any synergy with their class mechanic. Hopefully this new spec will finally see us actually using our pet.

@"Johnny.1634" said:Um what? It NEEDS TO BE PET RELIANT. You understand pets are our class mechanic right? We don't have a single Elite spec that does anything with our pet, its pretty pathetic.Druid when released didn't have a single skill or trait that interacted with your pet what so ever. And Soulbeast was made for the "I hate my pet" crybabies....if you don't like pets don't play ranger, simple as that.

Guild Wars 1 had amazing player and pet synergy, with pet attack skills that basically let you use double the skills other players could at the same time, and majority of pet based builds let your pet provide you with ridiculous amounts of heals and energy regen.Sadly with GW2, majority of pets are bugged and ANet has done a pretty awful job at giving Rangers any synergy with their class mechanic. Hopefully this new spec will finally see us actually using our pet.

This here.Druid and soulbeast are both reducing your reliance from pets. Druid by reducing the stats of your pet and soulbeast by disabling you to switch pets and giving you the ability to trade your pet for new skills and stat boni.

Having the third elite spec focusing on pets and increasing their efficiency is the most logical step in my opinion. A spec for people who want to play with pets and actually want a powerful pet at their side. And that playstyle seems to be fairly popular, considering how many people are requesting the return of the famous "bunny thumper".

@"Kodama.6453" said:This here.Druid and soulbeast are both reducing your reliance from pets. Druid by reducing the stats of your pet and soulbeast by disabling you to switch pets and giving you the ability to trade your pet for new skills and stat boni.

Having the third elite spec focusing on pets and increasing their efficiency is the most logical step in my opinion. A spec for people who want to play with pets and actually want a powerful pet at their side. And that playstyle seems to be fairly popular, considering how many people are requesting the return of the famous "bunny thumper".That sounds amazing but it will not happen. Or it will be terrible by any stretch of imagination.

Think about the people already are complaining when any pet overperforms by a bit, increasing their efficiency would just make the forums to be filled with a river of salt and the class be neutered instantly.

First we need core and actual specs fixed and be fun. Once that is done they can build over the good foundation and anything new coming along the way will be good.

@Arheundel.6451 said:2 ) No pet reliant, I need something openly viable for zerg fights....no something barely usable in a GvG scenario with all godlike support coming from pro FB/tempest/scrappers -a note to those suggesting the root/crows build-

This right here would just ensure I don't both with the spec like I dont bother with soul-beast. I want a pet focused spec with big monsters where we do the CC and work in tandem with the pet; Rather than it just being there by extension due to class mechanics. Or the limp noodle the druid pet has become when specc'd for druid, or the stupid lack of pet for soul-beast and merging with it.

I play ranger for the pet, thats why I made it. If you want something that doesn't deal with that then soul-beast exists and other classes exist; Your spec would likely push me to just continue on with core or druid and not waste my time. Because thats what this right here would be. And clearly you have very little experience, because ranger laughs in the face of condi as well has plenty of AoE. Heck boon-beast is good in zergs through boonsharing and does a better job at it than herald does; What we need is a stronger CC/Bruiser spec because we right now don't have that. And since they've already done two specs that either disregard or remove the pet, I feel like its time they increase its power and utilize some of the broodmother/alpha models that have been in the game for years.

I agree that the next spec needs to focus on the actual pets, but doing such would probably require a ton of mechanical changes to them and I unfortunately doubt ANet will take the time to do this. I have been playing WoW off and on, and something I really appreciate on Hunters is Kill Command, which actively orders your pet to charge to the desired target. Reminds me a bit of how the Cheetah's F2 functions. It would be nice to have more active skills that directly control the pet and cause it to perform certain actions. Personally I love the challenge of micromanagement and it is a big part of what appeals to me on the class.

@anduriell.6280 said:

Think about the people already are complaining when any pet overperforms by a bit, increasing their efficiency would just make the forums to be filled with a river of salt and the class be neutered instantly.

This is exactly what is going to happen. Even with everything that's been nerfed over the years, bads are STILL complaining about pet cc and getting hits from them. ANet of course seems to agree with the bads, and adjusts the game accordingly. We'll never see a halfway decent pet-centered spec survive in competitive for very long.

@"Pterikdactyl.7630" said:I agree that the next spec needs to focus on the actual pets, but doing such would probably require a ton of mechanical changes to them and I unfortunately doubt ANet will take the time to do this.

100% agree. I, too, desire a more pet-focused spec, but in order for it to work pets need to be fixed on a more fundamental level that ANet (probably correctly) will judge as not worth the time and effort.

I have been playing WoW off and on, and something I really appreciate on Hunters is Kill Command, which actively orders your pet to charge to the desired target. Reminds me a bit of how the Cheetah's F2 functions. It would be nice to have more active skills that directly control the pet and cause it to perform certain actions. Personally I love the challenge of micromanagement and it is a big part of what appeals to me on the class.

Well the pet F1 command as well as Sic Em do the same thing, if simply directing your pet to charge a target is all you're looking for.

• 4 weeks later...

Beastmaster. No pet swap; both pets active at same time. Land use spear as weapon, medium or melee range skills. Trainings as new skill types; hybridizations of stances and preparations that affect your pets only, and you through some traits. Heavy use of the attack of opportunity mechanic. Medium mobility, but lots of mobility control, chase and peel. Spirit Of The Pack elite calls two additional spirit copies of each of your pets for a short time.

I personally would love a Shaman class with Cleansing. The pets would be in Spirit form with more resilience to damage. Weapon could be a Sceptor. Utilities could be Meditations.

If the Espec does away from the Pet system, i could see a shroud type system in place for Morphing. So, instead of calling animals, you Morph into a larger version of the animals. Im not sure how many will be available to choose from but you would equip two to transform into. Energy decreases when being hit as well bringing you back to normal similar to necromancer. Weapon could be a Hammer, also with meditations. call it the Morpher.

• 2 months later...

WILD WARDEN (shaman) spirit pets•weapon - focus.Used to cc the enemy and improve your pet ability to deliver its dps when needed and give it stability/dmg reduction for a short period while it does so. Could still be dodged blocked or evaded etc

TraitsCould be synergy with you and your pet doing combo's which create small cc/burst chains to actualy get the pet to work in pvp/pve when desired. You land the immobilise boom pet teleports in and sticks to target for (x) amount of time doing its thing pet accts more like a temp high stack condi condition then its back to shitty ai pathing could even be like a spirit pet appears in place of your normal pets or you can only take spirit pets

Elite ability both pets come out at once for a short window of time adjusted dmg down 30% or w/e makes sense less dmg from each pet or you take complete controll of your pet and play throught the eyes of the pet and buff it have control of the abilities and you character follows the pet as if its on a realy short leash

Would also make a decent class mechanicInstead of swopping pets you just have the pet on a leash and you play as the pet with buffed up stats/abilities kinda like necro shroud while leashed your character following the pet copies everything you do ie you jump as pet your character right behind on the leash jumps while leashed to your pet you have one HP bar not two or the damage you take is split between you but lowers the leash duration like shroud so would be about ccing and dodge/evading to keep leash active as long as poss

Just spit balling ideas open to criticism or improvements on the name or the idea?

@Fueki.4753 said:I just want Bunny Thumper for Ranger.Weapon: HammerUtilities: Physical Skills with Life Steal.

Pets are visually replaced with bunnies, but still retain their regular functions.

The part with all pets looking like bunnies can't happen for balancing reasons. You are basically denying the enemy the information about the pet you are using with this.

But thematically, I agree, the bunny thumper seems like a great option for the next elite spec.

@Kodama.6453 said:

@Fueki.4753 said:I just want Bunny Thumper for Ranger.Weapon: HammerUtilities: Physical Skills with Life Steal.

Pets are visually replaced with bunnies, but still retain their regular functions.

The part with all pets looking like bunnies can't happen for balancing reasons. You are basically denying the enemy the information about the pet you are using with this.

But thematically, I agree, the bunny thumper seems like a great option for the next elite spec.

The bunnies were actually meant as a joke, but they could give them a buff icon that indicates the type of pet.