Some thoughts on possible EoD elite specs

Ryo.5824

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:

@KrivukasLT.3507 said:Hmm. How about ranger become something like a druid in wow? I mean he coukd transform into various or spirits or something. Somehow cantha gives me alot of spiritual or elemental vibes.. Idk.

Ranger already
has
a Druid espec.

To be fair, though, very different to a WoW druid, while the shapeshifter concept can be given a variety of names other than 'druid'.

I think soulbeast was supposed to be a shot at having a similar mechanic, but actual shapeshifting would probably be very different to how soulbeast operates. If implemented as utility skills, they'd probably be closest to elementalist conjures.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@The Greyhawk.9107 said:Either way, this is as close as we should get to something....WoW did.

Eh. WoW got it from D&D, which probably had its own inspiration, and while it's good that ArenaNet is usually pretty good at coming up with their own concepts, I don't think 'a competitor did it' is a good reason to rule something out altogether. There might well be other reasons why a full shapeshifting concept wouldn't fit GW2, but a competitor doing something should neither be a reason to do it themselves or not to do it.

@draxynnic.3719 said:

@"The Greyhawk.9107" said:Either way, this is as close as we should get to something....WoW did.

Eh. WoW got it from D&D, which probably had its own inspiration, and while it's good that ArenaNet is usually pretty good at coming up with their own concepts, I don't think 'a competitor did it' is a good reason to rule something out altogether. There might well be other reasons why a full shapeshifting concept wouldn't fit GW2, but a competitor doing something should neither be a reason to do it themselves or
not
to do it.

But as you already mentioned, soulbeast basically acts as the GW2 version of a shapeshifter. Sure, it doesn't operate exactly like other shapeshifters from media, but I think at this point the thematical overlap would be too much to consider doing something like this.

It wouldn't really feel "new", but more like "soulbeast 2.0" in that sense, at least thematically.

I’m still into my ranger e-spec concept where you basically summon a mega pet for a limited amount of time. I don’t think the mounted aspect would work, but a Final Fantasy type summoning following you around to dish out some extra damage, heals, or boons might be nice.

Ranger - Kirin Rider or Bell Summoner - Main or off-hand focus, you befriend a kirin spirit and may summon it to your aid by its bell (the focus skin). Summoning the kirin is the transformation state similar to Celestial Avatar or Soulbeast's fusion mode. During this time the kirin either replaces your animal companion, or you actually mount it and ride it while fighting. Either way, the kirin gives you some powerful boons or abilities. Perhaps if they are really powerful, you can only summon the kirin for a limited window of time. But the idea is that you've made some sort of pact with the kirin and they come to your aid when you call. Definitely a bell tone when you summon it.

Espec Warrior Concept:

Demonslayer

The Demonslayers are powerful Canthan warriors, dedicated to fighting off the malevolent Oni which have spread throughout Cantha since the restoration of the Jade Sea back to it's liguid state (for the most part).

Weapon: Staff (mechanically)-Spear (animations), Greataxe (fanboying)

Specialization mechanic: Havoc, combination Bursts

-Havoc replaces adrenaline, but gained in the exact same manner. You have 3 bursts like core warrior, but each bar filled counts as a tier 1 burst. f1, f2 and f3 all provide access to each bar's burst. Successfuly landing the first burst transfers its adrenaline to the next burst and successfuly landing the second gives access to the third. Functions like a combo move, with more gains for the warrior if the attacks land. if all 3 bursts land as a combo you gain the Havoc discharge (f4) which is an aoe release of adrenaline that deals damage and siphons some health, reveals and momentarily forbids foes from shadowstepping/teleporting. All this happens in a very small time frame however and havoc discharge can be activated after 6 bursts worth of adrenaline if the combo doesnt land. Its fair to say that landing the bursts will provide some sort of assistance to you, as to not be unable to use havoc discharge simply because you are being blinded, or your enemy evades (burst 1 gives 1 sec resistance, burst 2 inflicts immobilize and burst 3 gives 1 stab for a sec).

The animations for the staff will be changed to look like a spear, but will have a ammunition, throwing option (2 charges) to attack 1,200 range enemies with a melee weapon and no moving towards them.

Skills evolve around chaos magic. So demonslayers can use a form of manipulation skills to counter their deceptive enemies, although the idea also utilizes some spectral and Legendary Demon elements, although the main idea is countering magic similar to what the Oni used in GW1.

Examples include:

Heal Warrior's Retribution : heal yourself for x, start siphoning health from the enemies around youSpectral Vision : follow your enemy's movement (a trail of where they are appears) while in stealth for a brief period of time (3 sec), gain might, fury.Demon's Bane : active 3 sec, for each attack dealt to you, apply a random condition to the attacker and gain resistance for each condition appliedChallenger of Darkness : taunt and weaken enemies (5 sec) while gaining protection (4 sec)Ward of the Abyss : launch yourself at the enemy and use chaos energy to form a cage which they are unable to escape from (3 sec)Elite Relentless Assault : your 10 next attacks are unblockable, you gain quickness and alacrity (5 sec), each of your attacks delivers a secondary strike (might on strike) and you tag 5 enemies in your area

This is a wip, I came with most ideas rn, but waht I basically want is a magic-themed melee warrior, who focuses on assaulting his enemies unlike spellbreaker who kites around them, or berserker who jumps into them. Basically a decent roamer/duelist.