Playing Guild Wars 2 on Linux - Performance optimizations and more.

I also tried the patched dxvk-async, and so far I liked it!Btw it seems like we can either add the line you mentioned (use dxvk.enableAsync = true) in dxvk.confor simply add the environmental variable DXVK_ASYNC=1 << This is probably easier for people who don't already have a dxvk.conf file :)

Thanks for sharing!

Honestly being a Windows boy, i hadn't a clue if you could edit environment variables like Windows in Linux.I'll be trying Linux over the next few weeks. Likely Pop-OS. Just waiting for my Monster 10 core 20 Thread 5.1Ghz Core i9 10850K to arrive :) :) :) :) ( sorry i had to brag LOL )

@Mack.3045 said:

I also tried the patched dxvk-async, and so far I liked it!Btw it seems like we can either add the line you mentioned (use dxvk.enableAsync = true) in dxvk.confor simply add the environmental variable DXVK_ASYNC=1 << This is probably easier for people who don't already have a dxvk.conf file :)

Thanks for sharing!

Honestly being a Windows boy, i hadn't a clue if you could edit environment variables like Windows in Linux.I'll be trying Linux over the next few weeks. Likely Pop-OS. Just waiting for my Monster 10 core 20 Thread 5.1Ghz Core i9 10850K to arrive :) :) :) :) ( sorry i had to brag LOL )

so you bought the more expensive and slower cpu? g

@"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

Thanks for sharing!

so you bought the more expensive and slower cpu?
g

It was on sale for $150 cheaper than the 5800x, very good value proposition ( ironic to be saying that about Intel ?)

@"ZenAge.4863" said:Here's the new GW2Taco Linux v1.0.0 video. (I couldn't set a custom thumbnail QQ)

To those who can test, please test and report any issues on GitLab. Enjoy

Very impressive work, it also seems you put a lot of work on the installer too. :)

@Mack.3045 said:

Thanks for sharing!

For me has been the opposite, until a few months ago I didn't know you could set env vars in Windows (I last used Win as my main OS in 2014) and looking at how it's done, personally I find it much easier in Linux.

Back on the Async topic, I've had a chance to try it out on my AMD gpu and the improvement is a lot more noticeable than Nvidia, adding to that, I've performed this test on a normal spinning HDD. I didn't have any stability issues so far either, so I'll probably release a package update tomorrow.

Last but not least, I've finally finished building my 5800X system. Compared to my old 1700X I gained as much as 40fps in GW2 alone. Compiling the Linux kernel also shaved off 4 mins.

I went ahead and updated the packages to version 2.1. The list of changes is small but exciting enough for a new release, following @ Mack.3045's suggestion to try dxvk-async I would highly encourage people to switch to this new version (or replace the dxvk dll's manually) as the performance boost does indeed make a difference.

Meanwhile the package is still based on Wine 5.7, the reason for this is that latest isn't always better and between Wine 5.10 to 5.19, the staging releases had esync/fsync disabled (not good for GW2). I'll rebase to Wine 6.0 or 6.1 next year, also speaking of next year, I'm looking forward to the new gaming-focused futex2 (more on that here:https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=FUTEX2-LPC-2020), we'll see what it offers for GW2 =)

As always, download links have been updated on the first page. Changelog as follows:

• Updated DXVK to 1.7.3-Async, this version is slightly different than vanilla DXVK and offers improved performance and less stuttering during shader compilation.
  • Added vkBasalt support.
  • Added support for German keyboard layouts.

Regarding vkBasalt: If you have vkBasalt installed you can enable this by opening up the ‘GW2/bin/user_run’ file in a text editor and removing the ‘#’ from the “#export ENABLE_VKBASALT=1” line.

Regarding German keyboard: If you’re using a German keyboard and the layout is incorrect in GW2, you can try to fix this by uncommenting (removing the ‘#’ sign) from each line in the ‘Foreign Keyboard’ section, like vkBasalt this can be found in the ‘GW2/bin/user_run’ file.

Credits go to this wonderful community :3

I've been lurking in this thread for a while and I wanted to say thanks to everybody that is contributing one way or another to make the Guild Wars 2 Linux experience much better.

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not but one nifty trick to get ~~a massive 10 or more frames in GW2 is to lower the Sound Quality slider to a minimum. I can't tell the difference at all and it gained me about 10 to 15 fps on my i5 6500k. I remember this was common knowledge when the game came out but I totally forgot about it until yesterday. ~~EDIT: After further testing I'm not sure if this is having an effect or not. Yesterday it seemed pretty noticeable but today swapping between min and max seems to not have a mayor effect. Since I've made some changes to my kernel and proton since yesterday something else is going on. Give it a shot regardless and let me know if you notice something.

Regarding async, I personally use proton GE + lutris to run gw2. I noticed that proton GE says it has async as an option and you just have to enable it by using the environmental variable DXVK_ASYNC=1. Does anybody know if this is the same type of benefit I would be getting from the custom dxvk offered here? I tried in gw2 and as far as I can tell it severely reduced stutter when loading in Lion's Arch or Mistlock Sanctuary. I'm not sure about any fps gains since it's hard to tell without proper benchmarking.

Lastly, I noticed a problem with the lastest versions of Proton GE and Lutris Wine (5.21). You will not be able to login in the gw2 launcher and it will error out with some "network problem". I believe @kanemi.4903 was experiencing this problem. Anybody knows if it's a known bug or why would it be happening with the 5.21 versions of proton/wine?

I've set up a ~/.config/pulse/daemon.conf to increase my system's audio quality:

default-sample-format = float32ledefault-sample-rate = 48000alternate-sample-rate = 44100default-sample-channels = 2default-channel-map = front-left,front-rightdefault-fragments = 2default-fragment-size-msec = 25resample-method = soxr-vhqremixing-produce-lfe = noremixing-consume-lfe = nohigh-priority = yesnice-level = -11realtime-scheduling = yesrealtime-priority = 9rlimit-rtprio = 9daemonize = no

It sounds problem-free, save for GW2.If I have another sound source, like mpv in the background, GW2 seems to be starving on audio processing, resulting in stutters and pops. This is especially prominent in low frequencies.I've tried other games through Wine, playing music through my library application, and playing audio through Firefox. Only GW2 struggles.I haven't tried the new package yet, but would it even help, considering you haven't rebased it to newer versions yet?

If I start mpv playback after booting up GW2, there appears to be no audio issues either way...

Edit:Commenting out the fragment settings, restoring them back to defaults, didn't seem to help.

@NdranC.5107Regarding async, I personally use proton GE + lutris to run gw2. I noticed that proton GE says it has async as an option and you just have to enable it by using the environmental variable DXVK_ASYNC=1. Does anybody know if this is the same type of benefit I would be getting from the custom dxvk offered here? I tried in gw2 and as far as I can tell it severely reduced stutter when loading in Lion's Arch or Mistlock Sanctuary. I'm not sure about any fps gains since it's hard to tell without proper benchmarking.>

Hi yes, GE proton uses the same async patch.

@ArmoredVehicle.2849 said:I went ahead and updated the packages to version 2.1. The list of changes is small but exciting enough for a new release, following @ Mack.3045's suggestion to try dxvk-async I would highly encourage people to switch to this new version (or replace the dxvk dll's manually) as the performance boost does indeed make a difference.

Meanwhile the package is still based on Wine 5.7, the reason for this is that latest isn't always better and between Wine 5.10 to 5.19, the staging releases had esync/fsync disabled (not good for GW2). I'll rebase to Wine 6.0 or 6.1 next year, also speaking of next year, I'm looking forward to the new gaming-focused futex2 (more on that here:https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=FUTEX2-LPC-2020), we'll see what it offers for GW2 =)

As always, download links have been updated on the first page. Changelog as follows:

• Updated DXVK to 1.7.3-Async, this version is slightly different than vanilla DXVK and offers improved performance and less stuttering during shader compilation.
  • Added vkBasalt support.
  • Added support for German keyboard layouts.

Regarding vkBasalt: If you have vkBasalt installed you can enable this by opening up the ‘GW2/bin/user_run’ file in a text editor and removing the ‘#’ from the “#export ENABLE_VKBASALT=1” line.

Regarding German keyboard: If you’re using a German keyboard and the layout is incorrect in GW2, you can try to fix this by uncommenting (removing the ‘#’ sign) from each line in the ‘Foreign Keyboard’ section, like vkBasalt this can be found in the ‘GW2/bin/user_run’ file.

Credits go to this wonderful community :3

Merry Christmas mate, hope your December brings you happiness ?

@Hell Nirvana.9045 said:I've set up a ~/.config/pulse/daemon.conf to increase my system's audio quality:

default-sample-format = float32ledefault-sample-rate = 48000alternate-sample-rate = 44100default-sample-channels = 2default-channel-map = front-left,front-rightdefault-fragments = 2default-fragment-size-msec = 25resample-method = soxr-vhqremixing-produce-lfe = noremixing-consume-lfe = nohigh-priority = yesnice-level = -11realtime-scheduling = yesrealtime-priority = 9rlimit-rtprio = 9daemonize = no

It sounds problem-free, save for GW2.If I have another sound source, like mpv in the background, GW2 seems to be starving on audio processing, resulting in stutters and pops. This is especially prominent in low frequencies.I've tried other games through Wine, playing music through my library application, and playing audio through Firefox. Only GW2 struggles.I haven't tried the new package yet, but would it even help, considering you haven't rebased it to newer versions yet?

If I start mpv playback after booting up GW2, there appears to be no audio issues either way...

Edit:Commenting out the fragment settings, restoring them back to defaults, didn't seem to help.

I banned pulse from my system. Max quality settings in gw2, listening to spotify, youtube, discord, vlc..

no audio problems ever.

Just say with me: audio daemons are evil and utterly useless for 90% of the userbase.

(since discord hard depends on pulseaudio - so stupid - I use the apulse wrapper with it. Works.)

How about adding a default ./data/drive_c/GW2/vkBasalt.conf. It would make adding vkBasalt way easier. Also, it is a good example on how to customize your own shader settings, too. VkBasalt has a different config file format than vanilla ReShade FX shading language.

A Reshade preset might look like

[namespace1]parameter = 1.500000

It defines a name which merging with CamelCase effect's name to

<namespace1> = "/home/user/.config/Reshade/Shaders/Vibrance.fx"<namespace1><Parameter>=1.500000

Example

[Vibrance.fx]Vibrance=0.500000VibranceRGBBalance=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

converts to vkBasalt.conf:

vib = "/home/user/.config/Reshade/Shaders/Viobrance.fx"vibVibrance=0.500000vibVibranceRGBBalance=1.000000,1.000000,1.000000

An example GW2 vkBasalt.conf file to add to ./data/drive_c/GW2/vkBasalt.conf

# Activated Effectseffects = cas:tone:vib# Reshade Texture PathreshadeTexturePath = "/home/user/.config/Reshade/Textures"reshadeIncludePath = "/home/user/.config/Reshade/Shaders"# Hotkey to turn vkbasalt ON/OFF in gametoggleKey = Home# Reshade Effects## Depth CapturedepthCapture = off## VibrancevibVibrance = 0.100000vibVibranceRGBBalance = 1.000000,1.000000,1.000000## TonemaptoneDefog = 0.100000toneBleach = 0.000000toneGamma = 1.000000toneExposure = 0.000000toneSaturation = -0.150000toneFogColor = 1.000000,1.000000,1.000000## CasSharpnesscasSharpness = 0.40# Load Reshade FX Pathscolorful = "/home/user/.config/Reshade/Shaders/Colourfulness.fx"denoise = "/home/user/.config/Reshade/Shaders/Denoise.fx"asharp = "/home/user/.config/Reshade/Shaders/AdaptiveSharpening.fx"lsharp = "/home/user/.config/Reshade/Shaders/LumaSharpen.fx"vib = "/home/user/.config/Reshade/Shaders/Vibrance.fx"curv = "/home/user/.config/Reshade/Shaders/Curves.fx"lev = "/home/user/.config/Reshade/Shaders/Levels.fx"tone = "/home/user/.config/Reshade/Shaders/Tonemap.fx"

@Hell Nirvana.9045 said:I've set up a ~/.config/pulse/daemon.conf to increase my system's audio quality:

I banned pulse from my system. Max quality settings in gw2, listening to spotify, youtube, discord, vlc..

no audio problems ever.

Just say with me: audio daemons are evil and utterly useless for 90% of the userbase.

(since discord hard depends on pulseaudio - so stupid - I use the apulse wrapper with it. Works.)

I realised that half of my config were already defaults, so I've trimmed it down. Haven't narrowed the culprit down yet.My only problems rise when listening to something locally stored via mpv.

@Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

no audio problems ever.

I realised that half of my config were already defaults, so I've trimmed it down. Haven't narrowed the culprit down yet.My only problems rise when listening to something locally stored via mpv.

thing is: pulse&co are actually absolutely unnecessary. Alsa has dmix on by default, which takes care of several sources. To this day I have not understood why distros insist on forcing this quality destroying, problem creating mess down everyones throat.

@Hell Nirvana.9045 said:

no audio problems ever.

Whats is your distro?Did you change ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf?Did you change ~/.config/pulse/default.pa?Did you change ~/.asoundrc?

no audio problems ever.

thing is: pulse&co are actually absolutely unnecessary. Alsa has dmix on by default, which takes care of several sources. To this day I have not understood why distros insist on forcing this quality destroying, problem creating mess down everyones throat.

I have ditch pulse as well ;)

@kanemi.4903 said:

no audio problems ever.

I have ditch pulse as well ;)

Use pavucontrol, run both mpv anf GW2 and check which no showing in Playback tab in pavucontrol

One fix for app who use alsa instead pulse, is setting ~/.asoundrc and adding:

#  Default to PulseAudiopcm.!default {  type pulse    fallback "sysdefault"    hint {        show on        description "Default ALSA Output (currently PulseAudio Sound Server)"    }}ctl.!default {    type pulse    fallback "sysdefault"}

If you in Arch you can install https://www.archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/pulseaudio-alsa/ instead of changing ~/.asoundrc

First of all, thank you all for the extremly good work on getting GuildWars2 better and better for Linux. I tested 10000 of setups. I used like every Version of Wine, tested every tweak and every kernel patch. I came to the conclusion. Armored Vehicles Package combined with vkbasalt and gamemoderun from ferrals game mode work best for me.My only Problem. After playing like 15minutes everything gets a little bit "laggy". Don't get me wrong i still have 90fps+ on like every place. except lionsarch and the pvp open arena in the lobby. But its more laggy after playing some minutes and switching maps... feels like the cache is full or something like that. Maybe someone can help out.

But at least it is 100% playable and i have better performance than in the times back on windows. I play on a Ryzen 5 2600x and a amd rx5600xt. The game is on my main nvme2 ssd and i have 16gb of ram xmp2 profile:) So thanks for all the work.

The only thing i would recommand, push the armored vehicle package on Github. So other can Contribute to and more people get to know about the dokumenation and existing of the project.

I'm currently testing launching game with Lutris on my machine (which isn't super fast for today's standards - C2Q, 8GB RAM and GF760) under Manjaro Linux x64 and well... it seems it runs much better under Wine than it does native on Windows 10 - graphics are much better but without burden of frame drops or lagging while turning camera view around.There's one problem I cannot figure out - game launches only once after initial Lutris setup (tested out after clearing .config folder out of Lutris files) and any subsequent launch ends up with Error Code: 42:0:9001:4457. I tried launching with arguments for different port - no luck. So I wonder, did someone bumped on such problem and found the solution?

@"kanemi.4903" said:Is anybody having trouble to login with Proton?!atm I can't login!!I was playing yesterday but now I can't even login? kitten

https://imgur.com/a/yT52oHT

I'm having this exact same issue with my Lutris install. I'm not sure yet what's causing it, but the login process seems to function differently depending on the Wine prefix. For instance, ArmoredVehicle's install seems to work for me, but when I install with Lutris, I get the error you mention. Weirdly, if the launcher is still downloading some portion of the the Gw2.dat file, I can log in successfully if I keep trying (as if the download connection is serving as a proxy for the login server connection somehow). Steam with Proton is a whole other issue - for some reason, it can't successfully render 3D, and throws up a different error about that when it attempts to actually start the game engine. In fiddling with ArmoredVehichle's deployment (trying to get performance back up to where my Lutris build was), I saw the same 3D rendering error after adding d3d9 and vulkanrt through winecfg, so I assume Steam's Proton deployment just has a bunch of junk .dlls in the way which are confusing its access to my GPU.

Getting back to our original error message, while I'm still learning the ways of Wine prefix tuning, I suspect this is maybe some sort of DNS issue within the prefix itself. The launcher is able to download data, so clearly network functionality is available to the prefix, and when I run the game through Lutris with the -diag option, all of the IP address tests succeed, though the pathping section fails with several 'file not found' errors. ? I doubt it's just an issue of a missing pathping executable, but I'll see if I can trace down the error. Will let you know if I do.

All that said, props to ArmoredVehicle et al since this allowed me to get in to the Eye of the North and finish some strike missions before the emissary changed, which kept me from having to do crystal shard conversions over the next couple weeks. Got my Runic Hunter Boots right at the buzzer. Perfect timing. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

@mozlima.4015 said:

no audio problems ever.

Whats is your distro?Did you change ~/.config/mpv/mpv.conf?Did you change ~/.config/pulse/default.pa?Did you change ~/.asoundrc?

I dug more into my issues (which expanded beyond GW2, in the end), and had to force 48000 Hz in mpv.conf.Issues occurred when mpv was playing 44100 Hz audio, but other software were playing 48000 Hz audio. Mpv seems to prefer the source's frequency over system settings by default.

@"insanelyapple.2870" said:I'm currently testing launching game with Lutris on my machine (which isn't super fast for today's standards - C2Q, 8GB RAM and GF760) under Manjaro Linux x64 and well... it seems it runs much better under Wine than it does native on Windows 10 - graphics are much better but without burden of frame drops or lagging while turning camera view around.There's one problem I cannot figure out - game launches only once after initial Lutris setup (tested out after clearing .config folder out of Lutris files) and any subsequent launch ends up with Error Code: 42:0:9001:4457. I tried launching with arguments for different port - no luck. So I wonder, did someone bumped on such problem and found the solution?

Hi man. I have same issue today.The most funny thing... Actually i installed gw2 on new hardware, everything fine then... boom! cant log in, im sure its not router problem or firewall. I have gw2 on laptop too, with the same OS, same firewall... and its sound "funny" but on my laptop i have no log in problems. Im confused.I welcome any help btw.

@Denpakei.7326 said:

@"insanelyapple.2870" said:I'm currently testing launching game with Lutris on my machine (which isn't super fast for today's standards - C2Q, 8GB RAM and GF760) under Manjaro Linux x64 and well... it seems it runs much better under Wine than it does native on Windows 10 - graphics are much better but without burden of frame drops or lagging while turning camera view around.There's one problem I cannot figure out - game launches only once after initial Lutris setup (tested out after clearing .config folder out of Lutris files) and any subsequent launch ends up with Error Code: 42:0:9001:4457. I tried launching with arguments for different port - no luck. So I wonder, did someone bumped on such problem and found the solution?

Hi man. I have same issue today.The most funny thing... Actually i installed gw2 on new hardware, everything fine then... boom! cant log in, im sure its not router problem or firewall. I have gw2 on laptop too, with the same OS, same firewall... and its sound "funny" but on my laptop i have no log in problems. Im confused.I welcome any help btw.

It's possible it's related to the version of Lutris that is being used. I had that issue since the 15th, and I found a solution for myself today - just switch the Lutris version from V6.0 to V5.7-11. You can do this by Right clicking on Gw2 ---> Configure ---> Runner Options ---> Wine Version.I don't know why it fixed my problem, but it did. I ran 2 fresh installations, both under V6.0. The moment I rolled back to 5.7, I could log in.

@Kraizer.2350 said:

It's possible it's related to the version of Lutris that is being used. I had that issue since the 15th, and I found a solution for myself today - just switch the Lutris version from V6.0 to V5.7-11. You can do this by Right clicking on Gw2 ---> Configure ---> Runner Options ---> Wine Version.I don't know why it fixed my problem, but it did. I ran 2 fresh installations, both under V6.0. The moment I rolled back to 5.7, I could log in.

It works! Really big thank you!i also switched vulkan ICD loader from amd_icd64.json to radeon_icd.x86_64.json bcs i had black screen and... it works now :)Thank you!