Wait people were still using hammer in wvw?

Scoobaniec.9561

To be fair, you posted a GIF before they improved it a bit. Does it work flawlessly? Absolutely not. But it works better than it used to when it first got reworked. So either you are posting an old gif or you don't play with AoE indicators.

CoR would still hit hard. I would still consistently hit 11.5k+ with it (with Firework runes on because I am too lazy to change them out when I swap builds). The weapon was still very good at spike damage, although yes, the inconsistencies are very frustrating. I can see why they changed it how they did: the 10s CD made the weapon feel bad when the AA's are so slow--there was too much downtime--so now you can pump more out there while not as potent as before.

With that said, it does bother me how hyper-specific of a niche the weapon has. I absolutely wish it was more well-rounded so it could be used legitimately in other game modes. At least for the meantime I can meme people with shortbow 3.

@Za Shaloc.3908 said:To be fair, you posted a GIF before they improved it a bit.

Dude what? That gif is from nov 2020 made by me. I was just too lazy to make a thread that no dev will care about. There were 0 changes to CoR since.And yes i play on insta cast cause anything else slows you down by a lot (imagine playing anything else in pvp) and you clearly can see second casdade missing completely so its not out of range either, the animaiton pop right up on the mob

@Scoobaniec.9561 said:

@Za Shaloc.3908 said:To be fair, you posted a GIF before they improved it a bit.

Dude what? That gif is from nov 2020 made by me. I was just too lazy to make a thread that no dev will care about. There were 0 changes to CoR since.And yes i play on insta cast cause anything else slows you down by a lot (imagine playing anything else in pvp) and you clearly can see second casdade missing completely so its not out of range either, the animaiton pop right up on the mob

Okay fair enough, I didn't notice the date on there. But yeah, there are still bugs with it and it is frustrating to deal with them, but the skill still functions better than it used to since when they first changed. When I use it in WvW it goes through ~80% of the time whereas when the patch first hit, it would be closer to ~20%.

Hammer will be used until it is removed from the game :

1. Because it is the longest ranged Power based weapon.
  2. Revenants have literally nothing else which can match it for its intended use of Ranged Power damage.

Some people might go like "durr but Shortbow" but durrr Shortbow doesn't even come close to Hammer when it comes to zoning range and striking power for POWER damage.

@"Yasai.3549" said:Hammer will be used until it is removed from the game :

2. Revenants have literally nothing else which can match it for its intended use of Ranged Power damage.

Some people might go like "durr but Shortbow" but durrr Shortbow doesn't even come close to Hammer when it comes to zoning range and striking power for POWER damage.

Disagree. In a train chain melee group, both mace and short bow are stronger, because mace is way faster and cleaves better, and shortbow with the piercing trait and brutality is way more effective than any cc from the hammer. And in a ranged group, chances are that you'll be running a Necro if you want AoE damage, not a hot garbage hammer Revenant. Also, if you're ganked while trying to reach your zerg and one of your weapons is a hammer, you're dead (even if ganked by an enemy healer; that crap can't 1 v 1). Hammer is a joke at every game content (as much as it hurts: I started maining Guardian in 2012 with gs + hammer and swapped to Rev with hammer + sword & shield in HoT, and is depressing to look at the state of both hammers in both classes in 2020) .

@Buran.3796 said:

Disagree. In a train chain melee group, both mace and short bow are stronger, because mace is way faster and cleaves better, and shortbow with the piercing trait and brutality is way more effective than any cc from the hammer. And in a ranged group, chances are that you'll be running a Necro if you want AoE damage, not a hot garbage hammer Revenant. Also, if you're ganked while trying to reach your zerg and one of your weapons is a hammer, you're dead (even if ganked by an enemy healer; that kitten can't 1 v 1). Hammer is a joke at every game content (as much as it hurts: I started maining Guardian in 2012 with gs + hammer and swapped to Rev with hammer + sword & shield in HoT, and is depressing to look at the state of both hammers in both classes in 2020) .

Hammer’s biggest plus is that it had two strong skills that hit 5 targets that don’t count as projectiles. Shortbow only has one and it’s not nearly as good as Phase Smash or CoR. The fact both those skills aren’t projectiles is important since projectile denial is prevalent in zergs which is one of the reasons Hammer Rev has been so prevalent in wvw zergs for so long instead of other long range power classes; its damage can’t be mitigated as easily by supports

@Buran.3796 said:

Disagree. In a train chain melee group, both mace and short bow are stronger, because mace is way faster and cleaves better, and shortbow with the piercing trait and brutality is way more effective than any cc from the hammer. And in a ranged group, chances are that you'll be running a Necro if you want AoE damage, not a hot garbage hammer Revenant. Also, if you're ganked while trying to reach your zerg and one of your weapons is a hammer, you're dead (even if ganked by an enemy healer; that kitten can't 1 v 1). Hammer is a joke at every game content (as much as it hurts: I started maining Guardian in 2012 with gs + hammer and swapped to Rev with hammer + sword & shield in HoT, and is depressing to look at the state of both hammers in both classes in 2020) .

Shortbow is not going to spike for 10k+ damage in a single hit. It may have better DPS, but its only cleaving skill (not including the #5 CC) is multi-hit meaning many times players won't be taking all that damage before they move.Mace is a short range melee weapon with moderate Power scaling. Even full glass it isn't going to do as much damage as... Well, I think every other weapon? If you're going to frontline melee with a bad melee weapon then all you're doing is giving some Boons, most of which can be provided by other classes.

The purpose of Hammer Herald is ranged spike damage. It drops its' heavy hitters on clumps of players (ideally when you use Hammer 5) when your group has locked them down.

Shortbow and Mace can both work, so I'm not saying they're useless or won't do damage. Hammer is just flat out better for the spike and range it provides even if compared to Shortbow its DPS may be a bit less (which I'm not certain of. Hammer may actually still be more). I don't think Mace is even a question unless you're full Condi and the zerg you're against is bad enough to let your Condi's tick.

@"Shroud.2307" said:

Shortbow and Mace can both work, so I'm not saying they're useless or won't do damage. Hammer is just flat out better for the spike and range it provides even if compared to Shortbow its DPS may be a bit less (which I'm not certain of. Hammer may actually still be more). I don't think Mace is even a question unless you're full Condi and the zerg you're against is bad enough to let your Condi's tick.

You think that an enemy zerg able to cleanse conditions can't see the telegraphed 1.75" cast of Drop the Hammer? Also, Phase Smash: one thing was spamming CoR when actually did damage and didn't cancel itself when you move beyond 30º while the animation, and another entirely diferent animal is try to land hammer #3 once each 12 seconds while the enemy farts aegis. And I'm not saying that the short bow is great (I think that there's better classes and weapons for the pirate ship meta), I'm just saying that currently the hammer feels to me as wielding 5 useless skill slots, at every game mode, with no exceptions.

@Buran.3796 said:

@"Shroud.2307" said:

Shortbow and Mace can both work, so I'm not saying they're useless or won't do damage. Hammer is just flat out better for the spike and range it provides even if compared to Shortbow its DPS may be a bit less
(which I'm not certain of. Hammer may actually still be more).
I don't think Mace is even a question unless you're full Condi and the zerg you're against is bad enough to let your Condi's tick.

You think that an enemy zerg able to cleanse conditions can't see the telegraphed 1.75" cast of Drop the Hammer? Also, Phase Smash: one thing was spamming CoR when actually did damage and didn't cancel itself when you move beyond 30º while the animation, and another entirely diferent animal is try to land hammer #3 once each 12 seconds while the enemy farts aegis. And I'm not saying that the short bow is great (I think that there's better classes and weapons for the pirate ship meta), I'm just saying that currently the hammer feels to me as wielding 5 useless skill slots, at every game mode, with no exceptions.

I've never experienced Phase Smash being blocked by every player when hitting a group of players. Maybe one or a few, but not all. 9 times out of 10 it will hit all of them, especially if I'm using Shiro instead of Jalis (which brings less utility, but still has value) because I'll often use CoR and Phase Smash with Impossible Odds for the boost.

I'm not disagreeing that Hammer isn't great. After all the nerfs it has gotten it is nothing compared to what it used to be, but it's still BIS for zerging and still capable of doing huge damage.

The increased cooldown on CoR really hurt it because randomly using it or Phase Smash outside of a bomb is often a waste. Before you could use it more freely so long as you were aiming it properly. Now you may miss the opportunity to create a bomb because the cooldown is higher and you don't have any filler skills. You're basically left to spam reflectable autos and occasional Phase Smashes.

With all the nerfs to CoR I think it would be fine to reduce the cooldown again to like, 5 or 6 seconds. It's a lot less reliable and does a lot less damage than it used to (but it still does plenty of damage, don't get me wrong) so I don't think giving it back its old cooldown would be an issue.

I regularly knock people's boots off of em with my rev hammer. No idea what you're talking about. Just because hammer 2 gets nerfed doesn't diminish the value of a Solid Stone Smash in the face with a hammer 1. Ah. You say it's too slow. I raise you a Sigil of Rage. Doesn't diminish Hammer 3's combo blast effect, nor Hammer 5's wide group CC either. Weapons are more than 1 skill.

Hammer is so bad now that not even I will play it. Hammer herald in general is bad.

Cor was a terrible cascade and they actually managed to make it worse.

They removed damage from 4 skills and then also nerfed damage to other skills on top while also increasing cooldowns by like 50 to 150%.

The only reason it is used was highlighted by yasai.

@"Justine.6351" said:Hammer is so bad now that not even I will play it. Hammer herald in general is bad.

Cor was a terrible cascade and they actually managed to make it worse.

They removed damage from 4 skills and then also nerfed damage to other skills on top while also increasing cooldowns by like 50 to 150%.

The only reason it is used was highlighted by yasai.

Well the old CoR was impossible to observe under that visual clutter, latelly ive been able to dodge cor than any other range skill, sometimes i try to warn teammates about its animation when ic notice it.

I have been having decent values droping "inspiring reinforcement" on top of enemies as well, its not those carry me sempai 10K AOE hits, nor anything like that but im getting 2k's sometimes 5k, similiar values to hammer 2 basicly.

Necros with marks can hit 7k-8k with reaper and putrid marks on my tanky setup, they have better looking damage but heavier CD as well, m8 arround or similiar DPS i imagine.