More sPVP Game Modes

player.5190

sPVP needs more game modes. 5v5 Domination and not-DOTA aren't enough variety.King of the hill, 5CP and maybe even capture the flag or payload would be a breath of fresh air.KOTH would be easy to adapt existing maps for and could even have a 3v3 variant (alongside enabling 3v3 and 2v2 for unranked 24/7/365).

@Fueki.4753 said:sPvP totally does not need any more game modes.

The few remaining players that are still doing sPvP already are spread too thinly over the existing modes.Introducing more modes would be nothing other than detrimental.

conquest and terrible balance is the reason people left in the first place. if the game mode is good and a better competitive format than conquest i can see it working out. i bet some people would even come back for that. pair it with the new expansion for maximum player attraction. now if only anet could design a good game mode.

@Fueki.4753 said:The few remaining players that are still doing sPvP already are spread too thinly over the existing modes.Which are? Conquest and?... ... ??? Still waiting for an example of another mode here until my queue for Stronghold pops because nobody's playing it.

Introducing more modes would be nothing other than detrimental.I could not disagree more. I'm pretty confident in saying that one of the three major issues with PvP that lead to players leaving the game mode (and ultimately the game) is a lack of variety. You can't expect players to play the same game mode for over 8 years and not getting bored. It's virtually the same apart from slight changes in map rotation.I'll give the game another 2 or 3 years until pvp is completely dead. I mean the queues take a lot longer now than 1 or 2 years ago already. With the lack of care from Anet and a constantly decreasing pvp population I don't think the pvp community could keep itself alive for too much longer. Especially with other games releasing and people just leaving to get something new. Incentives to return are getting smaller and smaller. I also don't think that a Steam Release or EoD will bring a lot of new life into the game. But I'm really curious to see the reviews on Steam once it has released.. There are a lot of competitive players on Steam so PvP being in such a bad state will certainly hurt its overall rating quite a bit I guess.The pvp community also was never too small for anything, Anet just never gave any incentives to stay active, so a lot of people quit, easy as that. Quite the opposite, with the game mode stagnating and players leaving Anet actively hamstrung the remaining playerbase by tailoring everything towards a lower population instead of taking counter measurements. For example the removal of full team queue.. it was supposed to equalize matchmaking but singlehandedly eliminated any reason for PvP guilds to exist and turned PvP into a(n almost) singleplayer mode.Literally the entire sPvP game mode has not changed a bit between the era of ESL and now. Swiss it band aiding the flawed system, nothing more. How is any sane person expecting things to improve under these circumstances? It will only get worse and with time marching on things will just accelerate.

The other 2 factors I blame is a lack of guild/community content - there's simply no reason for a PvP guild to exist without full team queue (AT's just don't cut it with their schedule and Swiss doesn't fix that either) and the balance if someone's curious.

@Fueki.4753 said:sPvP totally does not need any more game modes.

The few remaining players that are still doing sPvP already are spread too thinly over the existing modes.Introducing more modes would be nothing other than detrimental.

There's a catch 22 behind that statement. The less game modes and less changes in general that you make to PvP, the less engaged players are with PvP. New modes require more players if you have both modes available at the same time, but they also draw in more players to play, which can offset that strain. Additionally, you can spread out the availability, similar to the mini-seasons, and not have queueing for the new game mode available at the same time as existing ones.

They could fix Stronghold instead. Make it so instead of babysitting NPC's we can actually break the dumb doors ourselves with explosives. Spawning archers is basically useless when you can kill the dumb mobs in a few hits; and the skritt bombers die if you sneeze at them. Defending them is impossible. Summoning champions is actually kinda nice but also a waste of time.So instead, make it so when you spawn, you can immediately summon your champions (All of you) and then defend them while yall march through, or play offensively and go to the enemy. Hell, anything but what we have would work better.

Capture the flag would be nice, too and then maybe put it all on rotation so 1 week we get ranked Capture the flag/Stronghold/Conquest.But again, before that can happen, they need to seriously look into Stronghold and extensively test Capture the flag.

They literally created new maps for 2v2 and 3v3, something we wanted for awhile. The only thing anet needs now is to reintroduce team deathmatch into an unranked rotation like stronghold. Give us courtyard and introduce a few new similar maps and pvp would be good to go. If this game was exclusively a pvp one i think we could justify many more game modes, but the population isnt large enough to support without increasing queue times.

Id gladly come back and play spvp again if they added other game-modes. Even if they were unranked only. And I know many other ppl that would do the same. Im sorry, but holding same 3 circles for over 8 years is not even close to fun.Until then imma enjoy certain other MMO game which doesnt look like abandoned by its creator ghosttown, ruled by whatever left after apocalypse

@"mtnjkbm.7452" said:Why not 5vs5vs5? Every team has two "home" nodes and in the middle theres one big node which counts for 5 points per tick if fully captured and which also gets defended by some champion mobs. (Max points get raised to 1k, for a win)Maybe even more players than that and put the champion mobs inside some sort of fortified structure you have to breach?!

Wait.

• 2 weeks later...

the only reason i loved Guild Wars 1 was random arena used to spend all day in there i was highly upset with the pvp in guild wars 2 thats why i quit i hate conquest with every fiber of my being they need new pvp game mods or a straight up TDM , king of the hill would be great capture the flag anything other than conquest and i would come back sigh but they don't care that much.

I do not like Deathmatch (no interesting goals/mechanics) and Stronghold (trying to copy MOBA-style with too much PvE elements). But anything new besides these ... would be fun.

Capture the Flag would be interesting. Or even something like Spirit Watch where technically it isn't a flag you steal (capture) but an orb at a neutral location. (Only problem is that this map still has capture points that can be capped that tick towards the 500.)

Stronghold-like with less PvE and bigger map might be fun as well. (Players carrying bombs instead of doorbreakers. While other players protect. Less PvE. More teamwork.)

Personally I like team fights between bigger teams - where strategy/teamwork is more important than then individual combat-strength/skill. Something in between PvP (1 strong player in conquest can pwn a lot if the map does not have strong secondary mechanics) and WvW (mainly zerging there).