Impaired player, trying to choose a class

Without getting into too much detail, the tldr is I have hand issues and reaction time issues. The easier a class is to play the better off I'll be, otherwise there's a fair chance I won't even be able to play it to begin with. This is basically my first time back in almost two years so figured I would ask before diving in head first since the classes have likely changed a bit since I last played. Obviously this means I avoid PvP and high end content so you don't really need to take any of that into account. I suppose if I had an understanding guild I might try some of it eventually but it's really not a concern for me.

I've been hunting around for ideas, the big ones that seem to get repeated a lot are minion necro (scourge and reaper have both been recommended), a bearbow ranger, and a staff mirage? I was under the impression mesmer was pretty hard to play and required a lot of movement but it does seem to get recommended a lot so figured I would ask about it.

Any help is appreciated. I've been missing MMO's a lot lately and after having tried a few others, this seems to be the one that was recommended again for being easier to play. Far less skill/button bloat than most other MMO's for certain.

Just like you said, id say your best bet will be either reaper or scourge, both of them are pretty straight forward and don't require too much button mashing. If you want something else I'd try dabble in classes with longer animation times. Id say a staff ele would be nice however if you plan on weaver the pace increases dramatically. Another way you could go is with a tankier class so even if you are a little slower you have more time to press buttons, although I don't recommend that route. Mesmer is pretty hard to play - shield chrono (support) is nice but in it can be a bit iffy in certain open world content.

But yeah to conclude, what you have heard before is a pretty solid suggestion.

Staff chrono is a good option. For utilities you would probably want to run clones/phantasms. Then it's using F2 or F1 to shatter. Staff chrono is distance attack, so that does leave room for error, as do the clones/phantasms. For the clones/phantasms, you should be able to click on the skill with your mouse, rather than having to play staccato on your 6 through 0 keys.

I've had my trapezium removed in my left hand and play with a brace (basically to stop the rest of the bones moving around and also to stop my thumb moving all the way back). I also use a footpad to jump and autorun.

I would also advice any kind of minion master necro. Just summon you minions and use your weapon skills. You don't need to bother with the minion skills just let them smack the enemys. You can built yourself really tanky up to a stage where you even don't need to dodge because you can outsustain any incoming damage.

@"sutasafaia.4872" said:Without getting into too much detail, the tldr is I have hand issues and reaction time issues. The easier a class is to play the better off I'll be, otherwise there's a fair chance I won't even be able to play it to begin with. This is basically my first time back in almost two years so figured I would ask before diving in head first since the classes have likely changed a bit since I last played. Obviously this means I avoid PvP and high end content so you don't really need to take any of that into account. I suppose if I had an understanding guild I might try some of it eventually but it's really not a concern for me.

I've been hunting around for ideas, the big ones that seem to get repeated a lot are minion necro (scourge and reaper have both been recommended), a bearbow ranger, and a staff mirage? I was under the impression mesmer was pretty hard to play and required a lot of movement but it does seem to get recommended a lot so figured I would ask about it.

Any help is appreciated. I've been missing MMO's a lot lately and after having tried a few others, this seems to be the one that was recommended again for being easier to play. Far less skill/button bloat than most other MMO's for certain.

@"sutasafaia.4872" said:Without getting into too much detail, the tldr is I have hand issues and reaction time issues. The easier a class is to play the better off I'll be, otherwise there's a fair chance I won't even be able to play it to begin with. This is basically my first time back in almost two years so figured I would ask before diving in head first since the classes have likely changed a bit since I last played. Obviously this means I avoid PvP and high end content so you don't really need to take any of that into account. I suppose if I had an understanding guild I might try some of it eventually but it's really not a concern for me.

Staff mirage isn't the most effective build, but it might be the easiest to play as its primary form of offense is to simply spam dodge and auto-attack. It helps that it's also a 1200 range weapon and you're constantly spawning clones between you and the enemy. See how it can handle the CC spam from multiple hydras at once without really doing anything but standing there dodging and auto-attacking? It even works on a bounty champion at the end of the video! No particular skill, knowledge, or quick thinking/movement required. It's the easiest build ever!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

Staff mirage isn't the most effective build, but it might be the easiest to play as its primary form of offense is to simply spam dodge and auto-attack. It helps that it's also a 1200 range weapon and you're constantly spawning clones between you and the enemy. See how it can handle the CC spam from multiple hydras at once without really doing anything but standing there dodging and auto-attacking? It even works on a bounty champion at the end of the video! No particular skill, knowledge, or quick thinking/movement required. It's the easiest build ever!

You can do something simmilar with Minstrel's chrono. Just stand and tank everything while you constantly heal yourself with basically every skill you use and have permanent quickness and alacrity. The only problem with this is that you do no damage lol, so while you basically can't die, fights take forever.

If you switch from Minstrel's to wanderer's you can achieve a simmilar effect just by sacrificing some tankyness.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

You can do something simmilar with Minstrel's chrono. Just stand and tank everything while you constantly heal yourself with basically every skill you use and have permanent quickness and alacrity. The only problem with this is that you do no damage lol, so while you basically can't die, fights take forever.

If you switch from Minstrel's to wanderer's you can achieve a simmilar effect just by sacrificing some tankyness.

I don't actually recommend the specific build in the video. It's more of a proof of concept that you don't really need anything with this build. I've deliberately taken all signets and no weapon swap as well as making no attempt at any positioning to demonstrate that you can just stand there dodging and auto-attacking and still win even against champions (I only had to move into the circles to clear the ley energy debuff on the bounty) and using no utilities. Just push buttons off cooldown and stand in fire. You still win as long as you can push 1 and dodge over and over!

A better build would probably be to run axe or scepter as a swap, maybe take illusions and more offensive traits, a stat set with some precision at least if not full viper, etc. But if we're trying to keep it as simple as possible? Grab a staff, slap on tanky condi gear, take mirage with infinite horizon trait and 1 and dodge your way through whatever other horrible buildcraft choices you choose to make up to and including playing like a cat on a keyboard treadmill!

That's why I say easiest build ever!

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

I don't actually recommend the specific build in the video. It's more of a proof of concept that you don't really need anything with this build. I've deliberately taken all signets and no weapon swap as well as making no attempt at any positioning to demonstrate that you can just stand there dodging and auto-attacking and still win even against champions (I only had to move into the circles to clear the ley energy debuff on the bounty) and using no utilities. Just push buttons off cooldown and stand in fire. You still win as long as you can push 1 and dodge over and over!

A better build would probably be to run axe or scepter as a swap, maybe take illusions and more offensive traits, a stat set with some precision at least if not full viper, etc. But if we're trying to keep it as simple as possible? Grab a staff, slap on tanky condi gear, take mirage with infinite horizon trait and 1 and dodge your way through whatever other horrible buildcraft choices you choose to make up to and including playing like a cat on a keyboard treadmill!

That's why I say easiest build ever!

Yeah, i know, the thread is after all about movement impairment and doing something easy.And tank/condi will always be better than tank/power since condi damage doesn't require precision and ferocity to be effective, while - if you wear Minstrel's you have neither power, nor anything else. So your Mirage build is beter overall just for that fact. :smile:But yeah, the point we're both trying to make i think is that - it's possible to do builds that you basically just spam cooldowns and eventually win. Making those builds very easy and forgiving for people with impairments.

There definitely are better builds, but probably require much more effort to pull off without dying. Hence, maybe not the best choice for someone with impairments.The ones we posted will definitely get laughed at in Raids or something for "not being meta" or whatever. So there's that too...

Hi;

I started playing after I became side paralyzed due to a stroke, and I find the ranged attackers are the easiest to play, especially with ranger pets/necromancer minions to pin down or distract the bads if I have to run away from the fight. I have tried the berserker/guardian/revenant types, but they are (for me) too taxing to keep track of cooldown/power usage order/just hitting the power keys in the middle of a fight. They are do-able though, if I take my time with the various fights, don't aggro in too many mobs at once, and just accept a slower completion pace than other players.

I also use a foot board for wasd, and thank god Razer re-released the left handed Naga edition - the thumb board is a god send.

Thanks for all the replies, they've been interesting to read and I've been doing more looking around in the mean time. So far Staff Mirage seems good, as well as bear bow and apparently shortbow renegade? The responses on the video seem to say that the renegade took some nerfs and the build may not really function anymore but I wouldn't know first hand. I definitely agree with people saying ranged is easier, and condi seems to be easier to play from my limited experiments so far (exception being ranger, they're really easy for killing champs but I got swarmed under pretty bad with too many enemies). I guess for necro I would need to stay ranged rather than do GS Reaper but it's not like I've been able to mess around with it, I have nobody high enough to even be reaper yet. Seriously, thank you all for the advice. I'm currently playing just a little bit with a staff mesmer, just to see if I like it, while reading all these. It's a lot to take in :bleep_bloop:

@"sutasafaia.4872" said:Thanks for all the replies, they've been interesting to read and I've been doing more looking around in the mean time. So far Staff Mirage seems good, as well as bear bow and apparently shortbow renegade? The responses on the video seem to say that the renegade took some nerfs and the build may not really function anymore but I wouldn't know first hand. I definitely agree with people saying ranged is easier, and condi seems to be easier to play from my limited experiments so far (exception being ranger, they're really easy for killing champs but I got swarmed under pretty bad with too many enemies). I guess for necro I would need to stay ranged rather than do GS Reaper but it's not like I've been able to mess around with it, I have nobody high enough to even be reaper yet. Seriously, thank you all for the advice. I'm currently playing just a little bit with a staff mesmer, just to see if I like it, while reading all these. It's a lot to take in :bleep_bloop:

Condi is easier than power because you can use something like Trailblazer's and get beefy while not missing out much on your damage output compared to Viper's. Viper's is still better, but only slightly. So with Trailblazer's you can be tanky and do damage. Power has the problem of needing 3 stats to be effective, power, precision and ferocity. And while most of the time, the damage output from those 3 outperforms condi (sometimes), you can't focus that well on defense. So condi builds are more forgiving in this regard.

MM necro of any spec is the easiest to play.LB Ranger is easy to play.Axe/Axe Berserker is easy to play. Warrior in general is easy and lowkey, but Axe/axe Berserker is probably the laziest way to get moderately high DPS.Shortbow Renegade is easy.Burn DH is easy as well.Juggernaut FT engi is easy (boring af though, since it is just 1111 spam).

Don't play ele, thief, or Firebrand.

Core minion, really.Anyone tried to sell is favorite class don't have read your message.Core minion is a lot about lay back, still good dmg, and very safe for people who can't react fast.Use axe+foce as main weapon.Dagger+warhorn to heal/fill.Staff for meta/farm train.Summon all minion, press skill on CD, use shroud as soon as you can, spam 1 (use 4 if close from mob).Don't forget minion skill, don't be afraid to blew up the 2 little one for more dmg.That it.Play it in Marauder so you've even more hp so you'll be even more safe and still do good dmg for 80% of the content.I've even kill Baltazar, chak in auric, vampire, etc, alone, easy.

Here is an exemple, feel free to change anything that plz you, just keep at least 70% crit.http://gw2skills.net/editor/?PSAFcsFaYZBMK2EriNij0T1qE-zRZYBxsFkvY4CCjoqqKVVHA-e

Have fun.

I had a stroke 1.5 years ago and after losing my right side totally (even speech) I have rehab'd my way back to just having a twitchy right hand that is useless on mouse & keyboard. So I decided I will play with one hand -- a left hand on a programmable Logitech G13 game pad & G502 Mouse. It took about a month but am now totally used to it and rock at all game types. In fact my PvP has improved if you can believe it. My main is Ranger/ Soulbeast with 1/2 Condi, 1/4 Power and the rest split up. I use Sigils that aid dodge recharge and a proper build to support Pet, Dodge & DOT's.Use the L/R buttons together pressed to move, 1 button to jump. Swap between both devices depending on situation and most important -- DON'T GIVE UP! You WILL get better at controls and WILL prevail.

I play all classes and some of the above mentioned classes/builds also work well, but play what you really want and fear no obstacles. Believe me you get better with each passing week. I am living proof. Join me on Ft. Aspenwood anytime, Cheers.

definitely minion master reaper. reaper is pretty straight forward so i think its the easiest class to play. beside with minions u can pretty much do damage by doin nothing or pressing less keys. and ur minions will take most of the damage.

once i see this person went afk in sandswept isle where the inquest base is, theres lots of mobs there. but he didnt die, he couldnt. cause the minions killed the mobs without the person doin anything XD so yea i hope it suits u :)

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I'm currently playing the necro as most of you recommended (although I was enjoying the mesmer...kinda...it was awkward to play. Might have been better once I hit mirage but trying to get there just wasn't working for me). For tankiness on a core (for now) minion necro, would you recommend condi or power? I do plan to go reaper eventually I think? I'm trying to either get marauder or trailblazer sets, starting with dire or...something...for power. Not sure what. There is no power/prec/vit set I don't think? Definitely going to be doing blood/death. likely curses if condi or spite for power.

I don't know how limiting your hand issues are but i'll have to throw my vote in for a Minion Necro as well.

I've been enjoying Minion builds for several years so if you have trouble with reaction time and the more precision focused controls that Gw2 is built upon then basing from my own experience with the Necromancer class, you might get really good use out of a more offensive tank focused Minion Master setup (Soldier stats i'd recommend), specially if you're just interested in playing the PvE game for story or enjoying the open world stuff.

@sutasafaia.4872 said:Without getting into too much detail, the tldr is I have hand issues and reaction time issues. The easier a class is to play the better off I'll be, otherwise there's a fair chance I won't even be able to play it to begin with. This is basically my first time back in almost two years so figured I would ask before diving in head first since the classes have likely changed a bit since I last played. Obviously this means I avoid PvP and high end content so you don't really need to take any of that into account. I suppose if I had an understanding guild I might try some of it eventually but it's really not a concern for me.

Personally, I would say staff Mirage is probably going to take allot more key spam than a MM Necro its also pretty squishy too. Im asuming rapid key spam is not what you want to do. In that case I wouldn't play a Mirage. Necro really can get away with mostly f1+ auto attacks and a little movement. Maybe a heal, stun break at the correct time v but even in pvp many necro just f1 shroud auto attack + fear, drop shroud then f1 back into it. That ends up being 3 keys with some time delay in between.