How do you spot a bot?

Omnicron.2467

I have been seeing a lot of threads on people botting and farming pvp with accounts, just wondering how you spot them? I often have pvp matches where I feel I am playing with bots because there is no communication at all, even at the start you ask about close and there is no reply an you have 2 people going close and you just facepalm. But that could just be bad playing. So how can I tell if there is no player there?

usually they'll pursue you until one of you dies -- if you're on point and leave and they continue to pursue to the point where you can kite them all around the map, it's probably a bot, or someone that's so bloodthirsty that they forget how the game works :p

Last night, I was in a match that we were losing really badly, to the point where everyone on the team just sat in spawn to make it go faster because the other team started camping our spawn; the bot on the team kept running out of spawn and dying endlessly by right into a full opposing team standing right outside spawn

I think they're a little less sophisticated, less common, and way more obvious than people would have you believe. The only bots(or wintrader perhaps) that i've ever seen have been recently, but they will autorun into a corner of the map and endlessly spam their heal skill or the like. Obvious bot behavior. I've never seen one actively pursue enemy players or even react to being attacked.

The lack of communication I think is a common theme throughout ranked in general, and it's just as likely they're intentionally throwing rather than being bad outright or botting; which, don't get me wrong, shouldn't be a thing either.

@sephiroth.4217 said:where to get bots and hacks?Spose there's no harm in making a free to play account to farm PvP, obviously it's good for the games health if Anet still hasn't acknowledged it as a bad thing.

They have in the rules every player agreed to when playing the game. A free to play account won't matter as they'll ban that one along with your others.

• 1 year later...

@"Omnicron.2467" said:I have been seeing a lot of threads on people botting and farming pvp with accounts, just wondering how you spot them? I often have pvp matches where I feel I am playing with bots because there is no communication at all, even at the start you ask about close and there is no reply an you have 2 people going close and you just facepalm. But that could just be bad playing. So how can I tell if there is no player there?

Keeps spamming 111111, hour after hour. I cloned his setup, and from the game's UI it's by no means possible to have 360º instant autotargeting like that.

@Multicolorhipster.9751 said:I think they're a little less sophisticated, less common, and way more obvious than people would have you believe. The only bots(or wintrader perhaps) that i've ever seen have been recently, but they will autorun into a corner of the map and endlessly spam their heal skill or the like. Obvious bot behavior. I've never seen one actively pursue enemy players or even react to being attacked.

The lack of communication I think is a common theme throughout ranked in general, and it's just as likely they're intentionally throwing rather than being bad outright or botting; which, don't get me wrong, shouldn't be a thing either.

Lawl! :smiley: Had a suspected guard bot attacking me in PvP with only block and heals. Big moment when another one joined the next match on skyhammer. At around 200pts, they caught up for a healrace, with the rest of us spectating... :joy:

It truly is a rocket science for ANet to log in in the night hours and play few games to spot botters and ban the hell out of them. I couldn't sleep the other day and decided to play a few games at 3 a.m. and guess what, most of the time there was only 1 other player playing and the rest was bots. Fortunately most of the bots were heralds which are pretty dumb and easy to deal with.

@Aesir.3192 said:Lawl! :smiley: Had a suspected guard bot attacking me in PvP with only block and heals. Big moment when another one joined the next match on skyhammer. At around 200pts, they caught up for a healrace, with the rest of us spectating... :joy:

Hmmm...

You sure they were a bot? Sounds like me and my teammates.

Last mini season i farmed my legendary back

it was 3v3 so it's easier to spot bots cuz they're always where you can see

First weird behaviour, they'll always run straight to enemy no matter what(there was a match the other team was losing, so they noticed the bot in our team, their dh set all traps at spawn, bot ran straight to it all 3 rounds, make 'em 3v2 every round)They don't ress or stomp, at least most of them don't

They spam skills from max range

They blow all their cds at once if you jump them

Most Common builds

By far condi scourge is the most popular, ppl talk about minion scourge, but i've never seem one

then you have hammer core guard and hammer core warrior, both pretty tank

condi mirage there're a few

then i've seen 1 weaver and 1 flamethrower scrapper (this last one prolly banned, it also got top last conquest season)

I can't teach you how to spot a bot, it's something that will come up as you play with them, after a while it become clear as day who's a bot who's not

The bot confirmation tip is add a weird behaviour player to your friendlist, then check the number of games, then it becomes pretty clear it's a machine playing 12-14h/day every single day from during season

When i farmed my legendary back i was hard spamming 6h day, end up with +-360, bots had double this number

@"Omnicron.2467" said:So how can I tell if there is no player there?

It's actually a fairly simple process to see if someone is a person or not.

Step one: try to whisper them. Usually if you right click their name on the squad bar, there will be a "dismiss" option, but most of the normal things like "whisper" "guild invite" and "send mail" will not show up for some reason: you can still access these functions from the pvp match panel, but not from the standard user interface. This by itself isn't a certain thing, because some human players turn off their ability to be contacted or communicated with, but all bot accounts appear to have this turned off by default.

Step two:

• Add the suspected account as a friend.
  • Go to the PVP panel.
  • Go to the League tab.
  • On the right-hand side of the screen, you can see a ranked leaderboard.
  • The four headings of this leaderboard are "All", "Top" "Friends and Guilds" and "Rewards".
  • Click the third option, "Friends and Guilds".
  • Scroll through until you find the account.#### of the suspected bot, and take note of their amount of wins and losses.

Bots will have significantly higher amounts of total games played (wins+losses) than any actual person is capable of. If they have 2000 games in a single pvp season, they're very unlikely to be a human player: often if you do the math by average game length and add in a reasonable amount of queue time, these accounts are playing 24/7 for many weeks on end without taking a break to sleep or eat.

Yesterday a teammate found a bot (im new to 2v2 so I didnt know there were bots in that mode) It was a Charr ele that went straight for the fight and targeted my Guardian all the time, when he told me there was a bot we simple went for the other guy and ignored the bot until it was its turn to die.

It is quite easy to misjudge players of botting. A couple of days ago I returned to sPvP. Joined a ranked match. I was surprised to see a DeathMatch game type and was immadiately turned into a Moa bird by an enemy Mesmer player. Lost my skill bar and I played quite badly. After a respawn the same happened. A team mate directly announced that he/she was playing with a bot but it was just me playing poorly. If playing poorly is a sole reason to assume botting, then many newbies or otherwise lesser skilled players will be wrongly accused.

@TheQuickFox.3826 said:It is quite easy to misjudge players of botting. A couple of days ago I returned to sPvP. Joined a ranked match. I was surprised to see a DeathMatch game type and was immadiately turned into a Moa bird by an enemy Mesmer player. Lost my skill bar and I played quite badly. After a respawn the same happened. A team mate directly announced that he/she was playing with a bot but it was just me playing poorly. If playing poorly is a sole reason to assume botting, then many newbies or otherwise lesser skilled players will be wrongly accused.

Yes, perhaps people make the assumption too easy, but in your defense, you could have just said something in chat and it would end all suspicion. Bots can't and won't do that, no matter how many times you call them out. I've reported players that I am fairly certain (let's put it that way) are bots, with over 2000 games last season, after having called them out during games for botting. In over 20 players reported, I've not had a single one say something in chat or whisper me saying they are not a bot, or even try to make a case for themselves. You would join the next match and there they'd be again, up to the exact same pathing, exact same strategy. You call them out again, and they ignore it. Maybe they are all just shy players with very bad logic :)

What I like most about them is that when you are fighting them and you go into stealth, they will instantly move towards a point, but if you appear out of stealth quickly, they will resume the fight. If you do this with a thief as a gimmick, say with a thief, the bot will just go back and forth without actually doing anything. They also have a hard time jumping over obstacles so you can juke them easy over crates, fences, low-walls, etc.

@"Aesir.3192" said:

Keeps spamming 111111, hour after hour. I cloned his setup, and from the game's UI it's by no means possible to have 360º instant autotargeting like that.New bot in Istan this morning, seemingly proving it's either some type of scourge bot build, or a macro.

There are many people jealous of Istan farmers, so I thought this one + prev vid were actual players there to waste profit. Then I lured the vet crescent to launch him off the cliff, and well...

I very rarely report people, but in this case it was just too obvious haha.

Edit: Bot left after a little hint, but is now back again. Was killed for 5+ minutes until someone came to rescue, followed by instant movement and skill spamming. Also noticed he can't even see in 360 radius, so he rather attacks nothing in front than mobs behind.

• 4 weeks later...

There will be a time when you are attentive enough by experience on what enemies are doing, their pattern.You will see enemies make changes when they are killed by you.You will see them make changes to win.If they don't make changes on how they behave if you perma kill them on that same node, that's a bot.Also, if you are trying your best but still being outplayed by better enemies and your teammate thrash talks you and tell your a bot to everyone ingame as well as the PvP lobby mapchat, that teammate of yours is a Douch of the Arena