What is the difference between an illusion, clone, and phantasm?

Kuma.1503

I've always been confused by this. Based on how traits work, I'd like to assume it works like this:

Phantasm - the one that hurts you. Will specify that it is a phantasm in the tooltipIllusion - As far as I can tell, everything is an illusion? Nothing outright specifies it is, but I believe phantasms are also illusions.Clone - It's a clone when it can be shattered.

So all phantasms are illusions but not all illusions are phantasms. All clones are illusions but not all illusions are clones.

Do I have this right or am I mistaken?

Just one point to add: when you shatter, you only shatter clones, and there's a limit of 3 active clones at one time. Phantasms become clones after they perform their special attack. So, if you're already at 3 clones and you summon a phantasm, you may want to shatter before it becomes a clone so that you don't "waste" the extra clone.

• 7 months later...

So based on what I have read above... and a few posts... (a quick overview)

Clones and Phantasms are Classified as "Illusions", and Illusions fall in two categories (Clones and Phantasms):

• Phantasms do damage/specific effects based on their tooltip.
  • Clones don't do (much) damage or anything special, they're basically copies of the mesmer whose main function is to confuse enemies.
  • Thanks 1

Clones used to serve as a distraction or a way to confuse people but with the introduction with utility, food, and WvW buffs, the clones dont share those icons so clones no longer serve a way to confuse or distract people. It was the introduction of detargetting from mirage that did it start giving that distraction purpose.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...