Serious lag

Dzus.8462

I've seen all the threads about the performance issues. I have had some extremely bad lag here as of late when I do the World Boss event and any event that pops up on my screen with the portal devices. I can't move at times it's so bad. Has anyone found a viable work around until ANet figures this out? Even with the settings turned down I still lag to where I disconnect some times. Please help, cause I want to finish my Winter's Day stuff. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Well the issues Anet are trying to fix are more related to the PoF/lS4 skill lag issue since April so I don't know if holding out for Anet to fix anything will help, although a ticket to support could help get through to their tech team who are usually helpful at identifying localised issues

When did your issue arise? What sort of lag are you getting? Is it more a massive fps drop?

You could try ensuring all drivers are up-to-date. or an update hasn't corrupted somewhere

Dear ArenaNet,Today I am lagging extremely hard and got disconnected with a connection error but my internet is fine, I can navigate through websites and play other games.I am having extreme lag issues in PoF maps. This problem has been going on for months now, please fix your servers, fix your systems preventing me to buy gems ingame and fix PoF maps to curb the lag problem preventing me to play the game.The path to success is narrow and full of obstacles, problems need to be fixed! Don't take my money for granted because I like the game please.Regards

@"Touchme.1097" said:Dear ArenaNet,Today I am lagging extremely hard and got disconnected with a connection error but my internet is fine, I can navigate through websites and play other games.I am having extreme lag issues in PoF maps. This problem has been going on for months now, please fix your servers, fix your systems preventing me to buy gems ingame and fix PoF maps to curb the lag problem preventing me to play the game.The path to success is narrow and full of obstacles, problems need to be fixed! Don't take my money for granted because I like the game please.Regards

Although communication is sketchy, they did say recently efforts were still ongoing. It's clearly a deeper, complicated issue than just "fix the servers" because it is affecting people inconsistently. I agree it needs priority and I know communication has been less than adequate, but we do at least know they are working on it as a longer term thing

there's seems to be two primary types of lags that player can experience

1. network congestion, this is when you suddenly see very high pingprime example would be WvW big zerg fights, but can be a bit of weird one because it sometimes isn't related to the size of the zerg but the server the zerg is from

my normal ping vs ping at Teq todaycould tell the problem is on the server side accepting incoming network packages, because i can see everyone running around as per normal around me, but none of my inputs...... only when Teq dies the ping goes back to normal and i see myself mass spamming skills, which is something that a lot of oce ppl experienceit's as if the server is prioritising packages based on your regionfawISqd.png

1. server processes related issue, some example include
    • Skill lag, prime example is Karka Queen
  • problem with coding or shared server, the server lag at Thunderhead Peak feels like this, my ping is normal, but there could be 10-15 seconds for the server to process my action, like gathering a node or attack a mobthat to me feels like the processes on the server hosting the map is overloaded

I'm also having the same issue from the topic, along with a very considerable fps drop, but only in the past 3-4 days, any time of the day and at any map. This is the first time this as happened so consistently but not the first time this game changes its performance so unexpectedly and overnight.
Ping stays constantly at +150 (the norm would be below 80) with several spikes to 300s and waaay beyond. I've contacted my ISP that informed me that everything is ok on their end and regular web browsing as not noticed any setbacks. Also played a couple hours at GW1 <3 with the ping at 40-50 and fps 80+.This is very frustrating and completely denies the possibility of playing the actual game... Its stuff like this that make me consider going back to WOW....

@"crepuscular.9047" said:there's seems to be two primary types of lags that player can experience

1. network congestion, this is when you suddenly see very high pingprime example would be WvW big zerg fights, but can be a bit of weird one because it sometimes isn't related to the size of the zerg but the server the zerg is from

my normal ping vs ping at Teq todaycould tell the problem is on the server side accepting incoming network packages, because i can see everyone running around as per normal around me, but none of my inputs...... only when Teq dies the ping goes back to normal and i see myself mass spamming skills, which is something that a lot of oce ppl experienceit's as if the server is prioritising packages based on your regionfawISqd.png

1. server processes related issue, some example include
    • Skill lag, prime example is Karka Queen
  • problem with coding or shared server, the server lag at Thunderhead Peak feels like this, my ping is normal, but there could be 10-15 seconds for the server to process my action, like gathering a node or attack a mobthat to me feels like the processes on the server hosting the map is overloaded

So, could/do the following interact to contribute to lag:

1. the time taken for the server takes to process information before it sends a packet?
  2. the time taken for the server to process information once it receives a packet (e.g. player skill)?
  3. do ambient effects (e.g. day/night cycle and its effect on various weapons and sigils) client-side or server-side, affect this processing time?
  4. does data about the effects that players have (e.g. horsey bow, infusions) have to be re-sent every packet?
  5. does more information result in more packets, or is packet compression such that packets have "empty space" that can be filled with this type of extra information?
  6. and if there are more packets, does that mean that there could be numerically more, if not proportionately more, packet loss?
  7. if a packet is lost, must that packet be returned in order so that the other packets received must wait until that missing packet is obtained? Which might explain rubber-banding?
  8. does packet loss contribute to fps problems because the client doesn't know what to render until it receives the packet?

Is there someone who could break this all down to give a better understanding about what affects lag? I find these threads interesting, but this is not my area of speciality so I don't understand the technical details for these points.