Newb just hit 80 - useful build?

trev.1045

Hey all

Newbie player here (played briefly a few years ago) and just hit 80.I mostly run around open using GS/LB and a power build, but after hitting 80 and reading around i seem to have the much maligned build that everyone hates (i only really use lb for barrage and rapid fire opening then switch to GS or for soloing champs from a safe distance, but its still the hated build)

I am working my way through HOT/Living world / POF so should gain extra hero points to respec, what would people advise?

I still want good solo / story capability, but i also want to bring some usefulness to groups and a future guild.

Ideally i would prefer to not have to replace my maruader gear but will do if power is useless

Thanks

Are you killing stuff okay? Are you surviving okay? If so then the build/weapons are secondary to your enjoyment.

I would say work towards Soulbeast as your Elite and try and few different power builds with it. As well, try out each of the different weapon combo's that suit power builds (and then eventually Condi to save you buying new gear right now). Getting to know the versatility of your profession will serve you well in the long run.

Go Soulbeast, glass as you're capable of (i.e. marauder gear is fine, but berserker everything else).

I find LB / Axe / Axe better for open world than GS is, axe is a mob weapon so it just works better in general and find I don't get reflected all that often to suffer being only range. Traitlines you'll want WS/BM/X...I use Skirmishing for the last one due to vicious quarry giving a ton of ferocity when you have honed axes in BM selected (and WS gives super fury uptime).

Can solo plenty of champs this way, especially if you use a pet with prelude lash as you'll have many ways to take a breakbar down. Shouldn't have too many problems with open world either.

As for group play, just going to lay it out now...ranger is not a group profession. Ranger seriously lacks in the sustain department and can share hardly anything (SB stances are half baked); so if you do decide to do WvW or PvP you're going to need to get used to fringe supporting / roaming. Ranger is pretty excellent in havoc though, so if you WvW and run with groups of 5-8 you can provide a lot especially if you lean into immobilize.

EDIT: Realized I came at the group thing with a competitive perspective--for PvE groups / raids I believe condi ranger is acutally pretty helpful with spotter and such...I don't do PvE group content so your mileage will vary.

@Mungo Zen.9364 said:Are you killing stuff okay? Are you surviving okay? If so then the build/weapons are secondary to your enjoyment.

I would say work towards Soulbeast as your Elite and try and few different power builds with it. As well, try out each of the different weapon combo's that suit power builds (and then eventually Condi to save you buying new gear right now). Getting to know the versatility of your profession will serve you well in the long run.

Yup i am doing the HOT story at the moment and not dying much etc, i do find soloing hero points in HOT a bit of a challenge but that is about itWill definitely start putting points into Soulbeast thanks.

@Gotejjeken.1267 said:Go Soulbeast, glass as you're capable of (i.e. marauder gear is fine, but berserker everything else).

I find LB / Axe / Axe better for open world than GS is, axe is a mob weapon so it just works better in general and find I don't get reflected all that often to suffer being only range. Traitlines you'll want WS/BM/X...I use Skirmishing for the last one due to vicious quarry giving a ton of ferocity when you have honed axes in BM selected (and WS gives super fury uptime).

Can solo plenty of champs this way, especially if you use a pet with prelude lash as you'll have many ways to take a breakbar down. Shouldn't have too many problems with open world either.

As for group play, just going to lay it out now...ranger is not a group profession. Ranger seriously lacks in the sustain department and can share hardly anything (SB stances are half baked); so if you do decide to do WvW or PvP you're going to need to get used to fringe supporting / roaming. Ranger is pretty excellent in havoc though, so if you WvW and run with groups of 5-8 you can provide a lot especially if you lean into immobilize.

EDIT: Realized I came at the group thing with a competitive perspective--for PvE groups / raids I believe condi ranger is acutally pretty helpful with spotter and such...I don't do PvE group content so your mileage will vary.

Thanks, yes i really just want to avoid being the much maligned build really - and actually be useful for pve when i join a guild

Will definitely try out axes thanks

@trev.1045 said:I mostly run around open using GS/LB and a power build, but after hitting 80 and reading around i seem to have the much maligned build that everyone hates (i only really use lb for barrage and rapid fire opening then switch to GS or for soloing champs from a safe distance, but its still the hated build)

I don't think you should care about what people say about builds. Have you read comments about GS/LB SLB in PvP/WvW? If so, just forget it.

Nowadays I run mainly on GS/LB Soulbeast. In fractals, I usually replace LB w/ x/Axe (x being sword, dagger or another axe). For all sorts of generic stuff, I like carry LB to have a ranged option, and I like the versatility of GS (compared e.g. axe/axe combo). Axe/axe combo can be nice replacement for LB in some situations, but anyways, I mainly stay on GS/LB. What I don't like in x/Axe is that its main DPS comes from Whirling Defense, which roots you and is prone to CC (so to use it effectively you like to have stab on you).

EDIT:Ah, if there is something people have in LB ranger, it is the frequent use of Point-Blank Shot to push mobs out from melee range. Pushes and fears are ofc not ranger-specific, but rangers tend to like to push mobs out without any good reason behind.

I am working my way through HOT/Living world / POF so should gain extra hero points to respec, what would people advise?

I'd say Soulbeast. I used to love playing Druid, but sadly that spec has received too much nerf to my taste.

I still want good solo / story capability, but i also want to bring some usefulness to groups and a future guild.

Soulbeast is somewhat solid for fractals. You can add group support by taking spotter, one wolf pack and/or spirits. I admit that if fractal groups need DPS, I mostly take my warrior for that purpose, but it is mainly because warrior has pretty solid DPS rotation - keeping up good DPS on Soulbeast require more from yourself and team.

Ideally i would prefer to not have to replace my maruader gear but will do if power is useless

Marauder is good, but IMO Ranger has enough HP already for PvE purposes, so I run mainly full Berserker. I have Marauder armor with different runes mainly for WvW roaming, but yes, I admit that I use those pieces at open world some times.