Frustrated again...

Wolf.2596

Can anyone suggest a workaround for the wintersday jumping puzzle? I am a player with limited mobility (only one usable hand) Anet doesn't keep players like myself in mind when they design achievements in the game that require manual dexterity. Usually, I need mesmer help for parts of the game that require jumping, and thankfully lots of people are understanding and willing to lend a hand.

This is the 4th year in a row I've been trying to make it through the jumping puzzle without luck. Jumping puzzles are already extremely difficult for me, but putting them on a timer makes it impossible. I've had the rest of the winter's presence requirements out of the way for years now, but not being able to complete the jumping puzzle to get the piece of the achievement means I'll likely never get it. I can't be the only person in this situation, and I wish there was some sort of alternative.

I usually have a lot of fun in-game....but things like these make festivals not so fun for me.

• Like 1

@Linken.6345 said:You Eu or Na?

What has that got to do with anything? It's not like you can portal OP to the end, wintersday JP needs to be done manually...

@Wolf.2596Yeah, some of the JPs required are ridiculous. Especially the Halloween one. I can use both my arms and can't finish it.The thing is, they probably do this so everyone would participate in every event they planned, at least a little. So that all that design work doesn't go to waste.And the precentage of disadvantaged players is probably small, and it's obvious tha they didn't really think about it sadly...

However...

Did you try contacting Anet support? If you talk to them and explain the situation, maybe back it up with some evidence so they know you literally can't finish the puzzle on a timer, maybe they can just complete that achievement for you, so you can focus on other stuff you can do.

Worth a try i think. I'm sure they can be reasonable if you talk to them directly through support.

Other than that, i've seen on this forum some people discussing a foot controller when they can't use hand or hands, i don't know if you already have that or not but it's a thing that can maybe help you idk...

So, since i doubt they'll start designing events and content differently than they do now, it's probably best to talk to them directly and ask if they can help you with that achievement somehow.

Good luck!

@Wolf.2596 said:Can anyone suggest a workaround for the wintersday jumping puzzle? I am a player with limited mobility (only one usable hand) Anet doesn't keep players like myself in mind when they design achievements in the game that require manual dexterity. Usually, I need mesmer help for parts of the game that require jumping, and thankfully lots of people are understanding and willing to lend a hand.

This is the 4th year in a row I've been trying to make it through the jumping puzzle without luck. Jumping puzzles are already extremely difficult for me, but putting them on a timer makes it impossible. I've had the rest of the winter's presence requirements out of the way for years now, but not being able to complete the jumping puzzle to get the piece of the achievement means I'll likely never get it. I can't be the only person in this situation, and I wish there was some sort of alternative.

I usually have a lot of fun in-game....but things like these make festivals not so fun for me.

There is none if you can't do the easy version to the right. Only way i can think is ask a bf / gf or family member esp if you got a niece or nephew.Like above who know if anet could auto complete it for you if they can see you haven't ever completed the JP in 4 years

@Veprovina.4876 said:

What has that got to do with anything? It's not like you can portal OP to the end, wintersday JP needs to be done manually...

@Wolf.2596Yeah, some of the JPs required are ridiculous. Especially the Halloween one. I can use both my arms and can't finish it.The thing is, they probably do this so everyone would participate in every event they planned, at least a little. So that all that design work doesn't go to waste.And the precentage of disadvantaged players is probably small, and it's obvious tha they didn't really think about it sadly...

However...

Did you try contacting Anet support? If you talk to them and explain the situation, maybe back it up with some evidence so they know you literally can't finish the puzzle on a timer, maybe they can just complete that achievement for you, so you can focus on other stuff you can do.

Worth a try i think. I'm sure they can be reasonable if you talk to them directly through support.

Other than that, i've seen on this forum some people discussing a foot controller when they can't use hand or hands, i don't know if you already have that or not but it's a thing that can maybe help you idk...

So, since i doubt they'll start designing events and content differently than they do now, it's probably best to talk to them directly and ask if they can help you with that achievement somehow.

Good luck!

Well I for example might be able to help through a program like teamviewer if the lag aint to bad.

@Linken.6345 said:

However...

Good luck!

Well I for example might be able to help through a program like teamviewer if the lag aint to bad.

Ooh, teamviewer lags like crazy and doesn't transfer image well...But that's an option yeah. Doesn't matter what server they are on, the lag will largely be dependant on teamviewer anyway.

Still... Is this something Anet would be ok with? Would be bad if any of you get banned for this.Good idea though! Haven't thought of that. Just maybe make sure it doesn't backfire first...Would be a shame if you get banned for doing a nice thing.

I think you might be able to do it if you can use a mouse with your good hand and either have one with two extra buttons or can use software to re-bind the normal buttons. Bind jump to one mouse button and either auto-run or forward to another one, then turn on action camera (which can be done in advance) and do the puzzle that way. Move the mouse to angle the camera and your character will run/jump in whichever direction you're pointing it, you just need to time the jumps correctly. It will still take practice but I think it could work.

The only other options I can think of are buying a gaming keypad, pedal controls or something else which gives you more options but those are more expensive.

Do you have a friend/family member that can come over and do the JP for you on your computer, under your watchful eye, when you are logged in, where they don't get your login information?

If not, I use a foot pedal to jump because my left hand is pretty bad. I can still touch-type but avoid using the thumb.

I have the jump key programmed to my footboard.

Re timing. The quaggan path gets you to the fire ahead of the presents, with no disappearing snowflake difficulty. However, you can still freeze to 0 health if you're not fast enough on the jumping.

For the presents bit, jump up the middle. These presents disappear the slowest and so have the most leeway for time. After this part, I tend to do the pipe slower than other people, using the half peppermints on each side between snowballs.

For the stick candies that are long and narrow, I jump sideways onto them. So, instead of jumping to 90 degrees, I jump to more like 120 degrees. This means that jumping too long has a bigger tolerance, because you will simply land a bit further along the candy stick.

Finally, work on the JP over and over again in the same session. The reason for this is to build up a rhythm for the bits you do, finishing with a rhythm to the peppermint with the fire. I know that it is hard to continue at something that is frustrating. However, if you can work past the frustration and you're not in physical pain, keeping at the JP in one session means that you are likely to have more success. Taking a break, which can relieve frustration, means coming back to an uncompleted JP and pretty much having to build up the rhythm again.

Treat the JP as a series of "pieces". Identify the first point to which you want to get to. Once you get to that point, aim to get to another point further along the way. This way, you're treating the JP as a series of problems to solve, rather than seeing it as an enormous single problem - which can be overwhelming. Get excited and positive with yourself when you reach one of your milestones! Hey, you got there! You deserve to give yourself a pat on the back when you hit the milestone. Even if it takes you a couple more tries to get to that milestone consistently, that is an achievement in itself. Be kind to yourself when doing it.

Finally, it is disheartening to get to the peppermint fire, only to fail to make the presents jump. I have been there often as well. (I have cursed the Anet gods more than once for not putting a check point at that fire.) However, when you get to the presents, you have done well over half of the puzzle, and you have done the MOST difficult bit.

Finally, I'm cool with putting achievement points behind activities like JPs. I accept I will never get the clocktower JP done. However, putting unlocks behind JPs is not cool, because it penalises those of us with higher ping/disabilities. As a for-example, the snowglobe in this collection https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Winter%27s_Presence

Yes, the snowglobe is exactly what I can never seem to get. I'd be happy just getting through it once so I can finish winter's presence. I don't know anyone else RL who plays the game that could log in for me. I'm on a NA server. Without mesmer help, it's likely never going to happen. I'm fighting cancer at the present time and purchasing new equipment is out of reach for me. My computer is already 8 years old and I'm lucky it still runs this game to start with.

@Linken.6345 said:

@Rejected.8719 said:is it to far fetched to have someone (that you trust) log into your account and do the JP for you? or is for some reason that against the terms?

Your not allowed to share accounts.Guess its there so if people are kitten and clean you out they dont have to help you.

Yeah I think that rule is mostly there to keep things simple for customer support. It means no one can complain that it wasn't them who verbally abused an entire WvW map, it was their cousin who sometimes plays on their account so obviously they shouldn't be banned for it. Or if kids are sharing an account and one of them complains that the other spent all their gold on stuff for one character Support don't have to try to get to the bottom of whose gold it was or how much they're allowed to spend, they can just say either the account was hacked and they roll back everything or it wasn't and as far as they're concerned there's no problem.

I can't imagine they'd worry about someone else doing 1 jumping puzzle for you (although it does mean if they do anything you don't like while they're looked in you're on your own), especially if you were there to supervise. It doesn't need to be someone who plays GW2, jumping puzzles don't really require any knowledge of the game mechanics, just good timing. Anyone who can use a mouse and two keyboard keys together with good timing could do it with practice. Easier said than done I know, but even so they don't need to learn the whole game to do the puzzle.

@"Danikat.8537" said:I think you might be able to do it if you can use a mouse with your good hand and either have one with two extra buttons or can use software to re-bind the normal buttons. Bind jump to one mouse button and either auto-run or forward to another one, then turn on action camera (which can be done in advance) and do the puzzle that way. Move the mouse to angle the camera and your character will run/jump in whichever direction you're pointing it, you just need to time the jumps correctly. It will still take practice but I think it could work.

The only other options I can think of are buying a gaming keypad, pedal controls or something else which gives you more options but those are more expensive.

This is a really good suggestion.

I would advise getting a mouse with multiple thumb buttons (if OP doesn't already have one) and binding jump to one of them.(The mouse wheel click aka Mouse 3 is also a good option to bind Jump or Dodge to as well)

Holding down left and right click together does make the character run forwards by default and you still control over the direction the character moves by moving the mouse like you normally would with right click held down.With that kind of setup OP should be able to complete any of the game's jumping puzzles with a bit of practice.

I get it's not applicable for everyone.. (I agree with OP in general about accessibility) but for OP at least, it's an option that would help them quite a bit I think.

Maybe the best solution is to reduce the number of required achievements for the annual reward instead or add more generic ones to give people more options as to what they want to do.Off the top of my head "Build 25-50 Snowmen" is a really obvious one that they could add in.Or "Kick 25-50 Skritt" lol

Actually.. a Mesmer would be able to help here.Teleporting short distances will get @Wolf.2596 closer each time. Don't need to teleport directly to the chest.I had a similar situation with a jumping puzzle and the diving in Not So Secret. It took an hour and a half, but we both made it to the end and did the diving at the same time.Teleport to Friend might work as well.

I gave up on jumping puzzles years ago. I do not have the depth perception needed, and simply cannot see the jumps. There are just some parts of the game I do not do. But I also do not care in the slightest about 'achievements' in the game...

Games are made for the majority of people... that is just the way games are.

@"Danikat.8537" said:Unfortunately a mesmer can't help because everyone's skills are locked when they enter the puzzle so there's no way to create portals. Teleport to Friend won't work either because it's inside an instance. :(

In that case, I stand corrected. Sorry for my assertion.They really thought of everything, and still didn't think further. Accessibility should be added on their "To-Do" list.

@Lucio.4190 said:

@"Danikat.8537" said:Unfortunately a mesmer can't help because everyone's skills are locked when they enter the puzzle so there's no way to create portals. Teleport to Friend won't work either because it's inside an instance. :(

In that case, I stand corrected. Sorry for my assertion.They really thought of everything, and still didn't think further. Accessibility should be added on their "To-Do" list.

How does accessibility have anything to do with rewards?

The jumping puzzle is similar accessible to everyone. The rewards are not. The rewards are not unique nor is the jumping puzzle required for dailies given there is always spare dailies and even the yearly has a spare achievement.

The only thing not accessible are the achievement points, which should come as no surprise since those are rewarded for succeeding at a specific content. That might not be the situation some people might be happy with, but from a design and implementation stand point, this content is as well implemented as possible without making different content absolutely meaningless.

As far as the Winter's Presence achievement, yes that one requires every activity be mastered. That's how premium or exclusive rewards work. They require a player master the required content. Otherwise they might as well just put them up in the gem store for sale or hand them out freely. The best advice I can give here: try getting used to the action cam, then map character movement (pressing both mouse buttons is the basic forward movement setup) and jump to the mouse. It'll help a lot with completing jumping puzzles with 1 free hand.

@Cyninja.2954 said:

The jumping puzzle is similar accessible to everyone. The rewards are not. The rewards are not unique nor is the jumping puzzle required for dailies given there is always spare dailies and even the yearly has a spare achievement.

The only thing not accessible are the achievement points, which should come as no surprise since those are rewarded for succeeding at a specific content. That might not be the situation some people might be happy with, but from a design and implementation stand point, this content is as well implemented as possible without making different content absolutely meaningless.

As far as the Winter's Presence achievement, yes that one requires every activity be mastered. That's how premium or exclusive rewards work. They require a player master the required content. Otherwise they might as well just put them up in the gem store for sale or hand them out freely. The best advice I can give here:
try getting used to the action cam, then map character movement (pressing both mouse buttons is the basic forward movement setup) and jump to the mouse
. It'll help a lot with completing jumping puzzles with 1 free hand.

When those of us with disabilities write about accessibility, we are talking about accessibility from our perspective. For example, a business may be open from 8am to 4pm and so it is accessible during those hours. But there are only stairs outside, so the business is not accessible for people who cannot use stairs (e.g. those who are in a wheelchair). You have moved away from our definition of the word "accessible", which has the meaning specific to disabilities, and are using the word in a trivial way. This is shifting the goalposts.

As we have pointed out in this thread, a skin is locked behind the JP. This means that more that just achievement points are locked behind the JP. As you point out in your last paragraph, which stands in contrast to your third paragraph.

Anet are the arbiters of what content needs to be "mastered" in order to have a reward, in this case a skin, unlocked. Among the other prerequisites for the skin, Festive Imbiber is hardly an activity to be mastered, especially with the "consume all" option for stacks. One could argue the same for the other prerequisites too. Killing the Claw of Jormag three times during Wintersday is a boss fight where it is easy to get credit, and many of the events times for this are quite full because of all the other players doing that boss.

Finally, there are those of us who have been lucky enough to have another person complete content for us, when it is difficult due to our disabilities. Thus, not everyone who has the shoulders has "mastered" the content. There will be others like me with a partner, or friends, or family, etc, who have done it for us.

We are not asking for the items to be sold in the gem store or handed out freely. That is insulting to those of us with disabilities who are more than ready to do something else in the game as a substitute for the jumping puzzle requirements. To compare us to people who want hand-outs is beyond the pale.

Edited to add: often people without our disabilities do not understand the full nature of our problems. Thus, solutions from able-bodied people may not suit our particular situations because you don't know what it is like for us and what we are struggling with. We may have more than one disability and don't want to mention them all. (That last sentence is a general point, and not directed at the OP.)

I agree it's not possible to think about all situations and have a general solution that works for everyone, but in some way to make it possible to select in the game options. Such as:

• I can kill off 50 Ettin without sweat (0-10)
  • I can finish off the jp Not So Secret (0-10)
  • I can complete a Mount Race (0-10)

Or something like that, with maybe 5 different options. It would make it possible for some challenges to be replaced, if.. in this case, the Jumping Puzzle, doesn't seem to be a proper challenge.Not sure if that will be an improvement?

@Hesione.9412 said:

As far as the Winter's Presence achievement, yes that one requires every activity be mastered. That's how premium or exclusive rewards work. They require a player master the required content. Otherwise they might as well just put them up in the gem store for sale or hand them out freely. The best advice I can give here:
try getting used to the action cam, then map character movement (pressing both mouse buttons is the basic forward movement setup) and jump to the mouse
. It'll help a lot with completing jumping puzzles with 1 free hand.

When those of us with disabilities write about accessibility, we are talking about accessibility from our perspective. For example, a business may be open from 8am to 4pm and so it is accessible during those hours. But there are only stairs outside, so the business is not accessible for people who cannot use stairs (e.g. those who are in a wheelchair). You have moved away from our definition of the word "accessible", which has the meaning specific to disabilities, and are using the word in a trivial way. This is shifting the goalposts.

As we have pointed out in this thread, a skin is locked behind the JP. This means that more that just achievement points are locked behind the JP. As you point out in your last paragraph, which stands in contrast to your third paragraph.

Anet are the arbiters of what content needs to be "mastered" in order to have a reward, in this case a skin, unlocked. Among the other prerequisites for the skin, Festive Imbiber is hardly an activity to be mastered, especially with the "consume all" option for stacks. One could argue the same for the other prerequisites too. Killing the Claw of Jormag three times during Wintersday is a boss fight where it is easy to get credit, and many of the events times for this are quite full because of all the other players doing that boss.

Finally, there are those of us who have been lucky enough to have another person complete content for us, when it is difficult due to our disabilities. Thus, not everyone who has the shoulders has "mastered" the content. There will be others like me with a partner, or friends, or family, etc, who have done it for us.

We are not asking for the items to be sold in the gem store or handed out freely. That is insulting to those of us with disabilities who are more than ready to do something else in the game as a substitute for the jumping puzzle requirements. To compare us to people who want hand-outs is beyond the pale.

Edited to add: often people without our disabilities do not understand the full nature of our problems. Thus, solutions from able-bodied people may not suit our particular situations
because you don't know what it is like for us and what we are struggling with
. We may have more than one disability and don't want to mention them all. (That last sentence is a general point, and not directed at the OP.)

All fine and good, but at the same time one has to realize: content can't be designed with every single disability in mind, especially when it starts contradicting a products base design. Guild Wars 2 is a MMORPG with action combat and elements.

As I grow older, I lack the reflexes to compete in shooters like Counter Strike or other shooters. Do you see me demand that the game be changed to accommodate my deteriorating reflexes?

What about other games, which might require other abilities I do not posess?

The Winter's Presence is NOT mandatory. It is a luxury reward. There are work arounds to get it, having a friend or guild mate run the content for example, which should not be to much to ask for in a MMORPG. The jumping puzzles are certainly doable with only 1 hand, I gave some advice as to how to improve ones ability to improve ones chance of success. I personally disagree that not required items need be available to everyone, and I do not distinguish here between disabilities or hardcore grind for example. Everyone is free to have a differing opinion on this issue. What I disagree with is the"I have a disability, please make this available to me" approach to acquiring rewards.

EDIT:and before this becomes an issue: I sympathize with people who have disabilities. It is amazing what some are able to overcome to enjoy their hobby. That does not mean I have to agree that all rewards and content need be made available to all or changed retroactively, even if it might exclude myself from some, which it does.

@"Hesione.9412" said:When those of us with disabilities write about accessibility, we are talking about accessibility from our perspective. For example, a business may be open from 8am to 4pm and so it is accessible during those hours. But there are only stairs outside, so the business is not accessible for people who cannot use stairs (e.g. those who are in a wheelchair). You have moved away from our definition of the word "accessible", which has the meaning specific to disabilities, and are using the word in a trivial way. This is shifting the goalposts.

This is a game, not an essential commodity. Games in their nature should have goals that are hard to reach and can require specific abnormal physical characteristics. Yeah it sucks if a disability limits your abilities in the game and it is not fair to those players. But that is the nature of games, they are not meant to be fair and accessible to everyone, a certain physical prowess is required to be able to compete and that is why games are interesting.Luckily this game offers a variety of goals you can set to yourself with various difficulty so anyone can find something for themselves.

I partly agree. It is a game and it's okay that some parts are extra hard, such as jumping puzzles or some challenge that requires you to be fast with all twelve fingers and toes.But I also think that some events could be planned with an alternative challenge, especially if it contains some chain events and you get an extra hard jumping puzzle somewhere at the end of the chain. That alternative could be available for all players.Choose the easy way, get the promised treasure.Choose the hard way, get the exclusive.

I'm just trying trying to find a compromise. If a celebration challenge doesn't offer a sporting chance to some players, it'll be like playing a Mesmer in PvP. With the elite skills disabled.The doors are shut, the keys are hanging 20 foot above the door... and you are an Asuran.