Returning player, saw a video of healing scourge, is it viable in fractals and wvw?

duell.4518

Returning player after years of not playing mmo's played wow the burning crusade and wrath of the lich king. Played a hunter and necro in gw1 and had a main in gw2 as a necro. I saw

and was wondering if I could return as a healer necro in both dungeons, raids and wvw. I used to be a hardcore wow raider as a healing shaman and love to heal but I'm doubting between wow shadowlands and gw2. I love WvW, back in the day had a guild and was active daily but due to work I had to quit but I miss the days. Want to be a casual player now, doing dungeons in the evening and a bit of wvw. How's necro? Any builds you can recommend? Is healing scourge still meta? Thanks!

Is it viable? Yes, as a healer the healing scourge is a nice safety cushion that can carry less experienced groups.Is it optimal/meta? No, the necromancer and the scourge have seen countless changes since 2018 but not enough to make it "meta". If anything scourge is farther from being meta than it used to be in 2018.

How's necro: The necromancer's position in PvE gradually improve over the years but, as a profession, it's tools are better used against player than the environment. This has made balancing the profession... humm... "difficult", because it can easily overperform in PvP while underperform in PvE. Since feb 2020 ANet truly splited balance based on gamemodes but they've been heavily focused on PvP balance, just trying to not impact the statut quo in PvE.

@"duell.4518" said:Returning player after years of not playing mmo's played wow the burning crusade and wrath of the lich king. Played a hunter and necro in gw1 and had a main in gw2 as a necro. I saw

and was wondering if I could return as a healer necro in both dungeons, raids and wvw. I used to be a hardcore wow raider as a healing shaman and love to heal but I'm doubting between wow shadowlands and gw2. I love WvW, back in the day had a guild and was active daily but due to work I had to quit but I miss the days. Want to be a casual player now, doing dungeons in the evening and a bit of wvw. How's necro? Any builds you can recommend? Is healing scourge still meta? Thanks!

You cant be only running one build as a necro healer if you want to play in fractalsBut if you love being healer hsc is the most build I enjoy playing as a necro main. A lot of skills needed to play it at full capacity that’s what made him very exiting to play with. Again you may not need to play as hsc more often than not so if you are ok with getting kicked a lot than get a single build which is heal scourge

@"duell.4518" said:Any builds you can recommend? Is healing scourge still meta? Thanks!

Heal Scourge is not as meta as Druid. If you want to play the one, most important, heal slot in a raid, develop Ranger into Druid. Scourge is an "Oh, bugger, we need a secondary healer," profession.

Now, this is less true in 5-man instances where there might not be a main healer but then your problem as heal-Scourge is giving up dps for the group, which slows progression. However, being able to swap to heal-Scourge when a group has problems is a solid way to clear the content.

The main benefit of Mercy Scourge is it stacks with other healers. This is because it provides very little direct healing and instead lots of barriers, so no matter what healers you have in your party Scourge still synergises with them without overhealing.

A common build is to take all the Might stacking utilities and keep the group at 25 Might too. That's on top of breakbar elimination (Fear), constant barriers, cleanses and Might stacking when barriers are applied, etc.

Its almost impossible to go down, as well, and you can rezz the entire party with not one, but two skills.

If you use transfusion in wvw on a scourge, it continues teleporting downed bodies to you for 9s with no way to stop it. So if you cast f4 and get pulled into a bomb, you will pull every other downed person in range into that bomb with you. This usually results in a squad wipe as each of the allies you've killed rallies an enemy player.

if you really want to play res bot for wvw on necro, play core. interrupting the channel on DS4 stops the pull effect.

Short answer yes it can carry a weak team in both raids and fractals as long as you know what you are doing. If you are running with an experienced group they probably will ask you to change from it. So basically what I do is have 3 builds on my necro. Power reaper, condi scourge, heal scourge. I swap between them as I need them. Most times my heal scourge does not get utilized. Is having 3 builds normal for new players not really, unless you are really dedicated. I would start with power reaper first then make your heal scourge and last make your condi scourge.

As for WvW transfusion is heavily frowned upon in the groups that I run with. Every time someone is transfused you will hear someone call out that it happened followed by the commander telling people to switch their builds. For WvW you will more than likely want to start a full Celestial build on your scourge if your zerging. If you are roaming you will be fine with your power reaper. Just want to add if you do decide to get in a zerg make sure you focus on boon strip because that is a scourges job in a zerg.

Good Luck!

@RisenHowl.2419 said:If you use transfusion in wvw on a scourge, it continues teleporting downed bodies to you for 9s with no way to stop it. So if you cast f4 and get pulled into a bomb, you will pull every other downed person in range into that bomb with you. This usually results in a squad wipe as each of the allies you've killed rallies an enemy player.

if you really want to play res bot for wvw on necro, play core. interrupting the channel on DS4 stops the pull effect.

When was the last time you saw that happen?Because as far as i know that was a bug that got fixed over a year ago.

@grave of hearts.7830 said:

@RisenHowl.2419 said:If you use transfusion in wvw on a scourge, it continues teleporting downed bodies to you for 9s with no way to stop it. So if you cast f4 and get pulled into a bomb, you will pull every other downed person in range into that bomb with you. This usually results in a squad wipe as each of the allies you've killed rallies an enemy player.

When was the last time you saw that happen?Because as far as i know that was a bug that got fixed over a year ago.

It's not a bug, it just happened to my squad on Saturday. It's always the same thing: some pug tries to res during a push, gets pulled or separated from the group, pulls everyone else who went down in, squad wipe. It's a wonder to me that it doesn't get fixed because it's very easy to abuse.

DS4 and RS4 are both channels that apply healing/pull on each tick, interrupting the channel interrupts the related pull. F4 on scourge isn't a channel, so there's nothing to interrupt.

Anyone on chrono or dh is just waiting for someone to pop transfusion, that's easy bags

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

It's not a bug, it just happened to my squad on Saturday. It's always the same thing: some pug tries to res during a push, gets pulled or separated from the group, pulls everyone else who went down in, squad wipe. It's a wonder to me that it doesn't get fixed because it's very easy to abuse.

DS4 and RS4 are both channels that apply healing/pull on each tick, interrupting the channel interrupts the related pull. F4 on scourge isn't a channel, so there's nothing to interrupt.

Anyone on chrono or dh is just waiting for someone to pop transfusion, that's easy bags

Transfusion’s pull effect has a 4 (or 3) seconds internal cooldown. It is triggered only a single time by core and Reaper Shroud, as soon as the skill is casted.

@"duell.4518" said:Returning player after years of not playing mmo's played wow the burning crusade and wrath of the lich king. Played a hunter and necro in gw1 and had a main in gw2 as a necro. I saw

In fractals is viable although there are better options.In wvw no.

@Black Storm.6974 said:

Transfusion’s pull effect has a 4 (or 3) seconds internal cooldown. It is triggered only a single time by core and Reaper Shroud, as soon as the skill is casted.

You're right, I thought I've seen it puse but i was wrong when i checked today. The scourge one still pulses though

@RisenHowl.2419 said:

You're right, I thought I've seen it puse but i was wrong when i checked today. The scourge one still pulses thoughAnd since 95% of all necros in WvW is scourges... yeah it's no good. I've only seen it used "ok" in very small groups (3-5) but the problem there is with pretty much everyone else being support (I mean a 5 man guild group obviously
have to
consist of at least 2 minstrel firebrands and 1 minstrel scrapper) the necro needs to be the damage dealer.

For trickier PvE a "tanky" (ie full zerker) blood/minion reaper is still my go to build though. Ran through brisban DRM solo earlier today with mobs+boss challenge activated, worked fine (full dps build wasnt quite enough to sustain the groups so had to swap). You obviously dont have the heals of a healer, but you can keep yourself topped up and provide at least some assist.