Flying mount

kubimrok.1203

Hello,I wanted to ask for a piece of advice. Since I unlocked both springer and raptor I wanted a flying mount. I owe both expansions but no living worlds. I accumulated 250 gold for griffon but now i have second thoughts. People say griffon has no ability to rise up in the air unless he dives and "it's only falling with style". My goal is to get to difficult to reach places easily. I don't want another glider. All I want is easy mastery points and easy navigation in maps. Should I spend this money on griffon or exchange it for gems and buy living world 4 episodes. There are many guides on flying mounts, but honestly, I feel lost in dozens of 40 minutes guides. I would greatly appreciate input from flying practicians, normal gamers, not streamers. Thank you, in advance, for your time.

For the skyscale you should keep in mind that you don't just need the episode where the mount came out, but also the other episodes that are required for the collections. So you will need the entire living season 4, which costs 960 gems if you need all episodes plus a full stack of each currency associated with those maps and at least 35 gold. On top of the cost the skyscale is a lot of work to get.

The griffon is easier to get, but as you said, the griffon and the skyscale serve different purposes. While the griffon can't rise into the air on its own, it can traverse a map faster than some pcs can load it, if you start from a high perch. It's not suited for exploration.

So the mount you want - judging from your description - is the skyscale. The question is how much time and resources you are willing to put into getting the mount. The wiki has a good list of the costs associated with getting the mount. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skyscale#Notes

so for griffon its like a more fun way to fly and if u start from a high place then dive, u can get anywhere so fast. because griffon honestly is faster than skyscale. but if ure like gonna climb something to get a vista for example, then u have to switch to springer.

for skyscale its like normal. u can get to any places easily, u dont have to switch mount just because u wanna get that one vista. it makes everything easier not gonna lie. but for example if u just gonna keep flying from one place to another (no obstacle whatsoever) then skyscale isnt as fast as griffon.

and theres the grinding. for griffon yes u need 250g. but the quest to get it isnt that hard. if u already have the 250g then maybe u can get ur griffon in 2 days. 3 days if u havent finished pof story. cause u need to finish pof story to start griffon quest.

and for skyscale. u have to work for it, like pretty hard xD u need all episodes of ls4, but u only have to finish the last chapter to get the quest started. then u have to have access to all the ls4 maps. u need to grind 250 curreny for each map. which can be done by doin hearts in each map. and if u wanna get it faster u can use some alts. after u finish the heart u can buy the currency from the heart vendor usin karma, so i suggest u keep that karma if u gonna go for skyscale. took me about a month to get skyscale because i hate grinding. but if u doin the quest routinely then u can get it in a week or so.

in conclusion, it depends on u which one to get, both are a good mount.

For traversing Maps and getting to Mastery points, Skyscale is probably more what you're looking for but griffon and springer together can get you to most places a skyscale can If the grind for skyscale is off putting to you.If you get to a high place a Griffon can stay in the air for as long as you need if you know how to fly it. Staying in the air with the Griffon boils down to Diving to gain momentum and Pulling back up to regain your original altitude, Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy.

I tend to think that, in the long run, getting all the mounts available to you will be the end goal. Yes you can focus on Skyscale as it is very popular, but the utility of different mounts means having each gives you the most flexibility.

As you already have the Griff funds, I would suggest going for that, and enjoying the Griff now.

As for Skyscale, if you are buying LS4 you get the advantage of accessing Rollerbeetle as well, another great mount and really easy to obtain comparatively. However in order to make Skyscale grind way easier, you want Bjora Marches access as the currency there can be used to trade for LS4 currencies, cutting your farm down immensely. I think that is IBS1 Whisper in the Dark and IBS2 Shadow in the Ice.

Is the Skyscale worth the extra investment for you right now? I would say no, as it is a lot of buying, playing, grinding, collecting, before you even get to use it, where-as the Griff will be available to you in a few days of play. However, in the long run, I would say go for the Skyscale when you have bought those story chapters and enjoyed the content.

As for Skyscale utility, yes it is a little broken in that they added it to the game later on after they had built the maps for the Raptor, Springer, Jackal and Griffon. However since the game up to LS4 was built without Skyscale specifically in mind, it means that you don't need the Skyscale to enjoy the content. The Skyscale will definitely make some parts of the game easier in ways the other mounts cannot, but it isn't a huge gap between the Skyscale and other options.

There are some maps where the griffon excels over the skyscale, although these are currently LS: Istan and Drizzlewood Coast. Given that DWC came out after the skyscale was released, it appears that Anet will continue making maps that differ in which of the two flying mounts has the most utility.

The griffon takes much more practice than the skyscale. There is a keybind that creates a rocket booster effect for your diving (you hold the dive and the booster keys down) and then you can shoot up and away so fast (and rinse and repeat). I have a tendency to slightly overshoot targets because of the speed and my ping.

The skyscale cannot remain in the air indefinitely, although you can hover. You cannot recover the blue bar by hovering - it only refills when the skyscale is perched on something that the game considers a ledge, or branch, or ground. You can partially fill the blue bar by pressing the mount against a vertical surface and using the orange bar. However if you are trying to get up somewhere high, this is unlikely to be the end solution to getting there. That is an improvement over the griffon, which can never get you up a high vertical surface as it lacks the ability to go high from ground level.

Finally, the griffon is prettier and has nicer skins.

• 3 weeks later...

Griffon is like a long distance glider if controlled correctly. Skyscale is more like a helicopter if controlled correctly griffon takes 10 items you must earn the right to use the vendors for and takes some time and some fights and tasks. The Skyscale you do a story where you raise it from an egg to a mount it can take the place of a griffon in short flights and the springer in vertical areas.

@"kubimrok.1203" said:Hello,I wanted to ask for a piece of advice. Since I unlocked both springer and raptor I wanted a flying mount. I owe both expansions but no living worlds. I accumulated 250 gold for griffon but now i have second thoughts. People say griffon has no ability to rise up in the air unless he dives and "it's only falling with style". My goal is to get to difficult to reach places easily. I don't want another glider. All I want is easy mastery points and easy navigation in maps. Should I spend this money on griffon or exchange it for gems and buy living world 4 episodes. There are many guides on flying mounts, but honestly, I feel lost in dozens of 40 minutes guides. I would greatly appreciate input from flying practicians, normal gamers, not streamers. Thank you, in advance, for your time.

You want a Skyscale. Your description is a Skyscale to a T.After being unable to play for a while, I rushed getting it. It takes a little bit but it's not so bad. :)You will want a Gryffon eventually for the whoosh factor, so it's up to you. It depends how easily you can get that 250 gold again. :) I don't remember having to spend that much gold for skyscale, but I remember having to farm lots of currency.

There's one tip I always give anyone that doesnt have s4 yet and plans to get it.Make it a habbit to try to get into a daily full home farm. Takes a few minutes, tons of people around inviting guests and a good way to start the Material grind before you own s4 or Bjora.

On my main account I got the skyscale done when released and its good to see that the time gating has been taken care of.Furthermore knowing what you need upfront can prevent sudden roadblocks in grinds.

After getting the skyscale, I didnt use my griffon for a while, but by now, I rediscovered it.That came due to a few youtube videos that showed me how amazing the Griffon is as only true flying mount

It is in sheer unit speed the fastest (with Beetle as close second) and when done properly, you can travel entire maps without loss of altitude.

The skyscale is a bit a "springer killer" in my oppinion, and a handy mount. But is misses the sheer fun of racing through the sky, diving under a bridge on top speed, to then pull up again. The Skyscale is a very practical mount.

@"BunjiKugashira.9754" said:For the skyscale you should keep in mind that you don't just need the episode where the mount came out, but also the other episodes that are required for the collections. So you will need the entire living season 4, which costs 960 gems if you need all episodes plus a full stack of each currency associated with those maps and at least 35 gold. On top of the cost the skyscale is a lot of work to get.

The griffon is easier to get, but as you said, the griffon and the skyscale serve different purposes. While the griffon can't rise into the air on its own, it can traverse a map faster than some pcs can load it, if you start from a high perch. It's not suited for exploration.

So the mount you want - judging from your description - is the skyscale. The question is how much time and resources you are willing to put into getting the mount. The wiki has a good list of the costs associated with getting the mount. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Skyscale#Notes

Just get the griffon before skyscale and thank me later.

"Just get the griffon before skyscale and thank me later." Posted by Itsmez above!I do not know how to add a quote :)

I completely agree. I got all the other mounts in order to get the Griffon.I got the Griffon for speedy map fun & to help with getting the Skyscale. There are lots of currencies to "gather" for the Skyscale & it takes a chunk of time to do that.While you get a borrowed Skyscale to do the Skyscale collections in Dragonfall, you do NOT get a borrowed Skyscale to do the many other requirements in other lands.My opinion is that the Griffon is very helpful in getting the Skyscale. I am finally almost finished with the currency stacks & my Skyscale has eaten 12 of it's feedings, & those currency stacks have gone much more quickly/easily with the use of all the other mounts including my Griffon.

The sweet thing about mounts in this game is that they all excel in different areas. I love them all in their own right. The time & care we have to invest in each mount makes them feel like family to me.

@"Crunchbone.7341" said:I first tried "quote", then I highlighted only the one sentence I wanted to quote & clicked "quote" & it still put the entire post in both ways. I am always open to more information & happy to learn!

Indeed. And then you simply delete the parts you don't want to include, as I did when I answered your question.