What happened to Malyck?

avexysv.9314

@Randulf.7614 said:Malyck was cut from the HoT story. I believe there was a dev a couple of years ago mentioning about whether they could ever fill the story in via the game or short story, but I think they left the team.

Matthew Medina was part of the 2019 layoffs, but he was re-hired later on. I believe he now works on EoD though, and there wasn't any comment on this story draft for Malyck after 2018.

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

@Randulf.7614 said:Malyck was cut from the HoT story. I believe there was a dev a couple of years ago mentioning about whether they could ever fill the story in via the game or short story, but I think they left the team.

Matthew Medina was part of the 2019 layoffs, but he was re-hired later on. I believe he now works on EoD though, and there wasn't any comment on this story draft for Malyck after 2018.

Ah was it him? I had it in my head it was Peter somebody who was talking about it.

I still don't think we will see anything unless they choose to go back to those web story formats like around the start of IBS which were decent enough

Malyck wasn't from Heart of Maguuma, he was from the area between Tangled Depths and Metrica Province. Not only did the Mordrem migration not make it that far into Central Tyria due to the SCAR Team, but since Malyck's tree didn't have a Dream it presumably couldn't be directly corrupted. Therefor its very likely that Malyck and the other Sylvari from that tree are still alive and well.

Its never explained why Malyck's tree has no Dream though. In HoT its established that Dream and Nightmare aren't creations of the Pale Tree or Mordremoth, but are their own realms that provide both vulnerability and protection.

Its also not explained why he had a humanoid form like other (purified) Sylvari and not Modrem.

The last word as some mentioned was that they were looking for an appropriate place to insert Malyck’s story, and that they wanted to find a place for it, but nothing has come of that stated intention.

Could cross your fingers for EoDs somehow, but the set up for Malyck clearly intended for him to be from the Maguuma (which was cut from HoTs). Either he managed to resist Mordremoth somehow, or his tree will be “retconned” elsewhere.

Logistically though getting a sylvari tree outside the maguuma would be a bit of a stretch.

@Randulf.7614 said:

Ah was it him? I had it in my head it was Peter somebody who was talking about it.

I still don't think we will see anything unless they choose to go back to those web story formats like around the start of IBS which were decent enough

Honestly, I see it more likely as a raid/strike unrelated to the main story (though they don't really seem to be doing that for IBS) or a Side Story achievement (which they seem to have given up, shame since those were great ways to do followups or foreshadowings or just unrelated stuff).