Condi or Power Weapon? Need your input

Gorani.7205

Problem: I want to reduce clutter and unnecessary items on my alts, who currently get very little game time, but still want to be able to play open world PvE with them sometimes. With some professions having quite a few weapon options, I need your input on what (exotic) weapon to equip my alts with and not wanting alternative stat sets on the character, to keep the inventory as lean as possible.Baseline: All professions have a Power (Marauders) armour set and a Condi (Viper) armour set to build upon. Trinkets vary, but I prefer them to be having a balanced approach, with an offensive touch, what ever randomly is available.Want I want you to do: Tell me for the profession you are experienced with, if I should chose a power (Berserker/Marauder) or Condi (Viper?) weapon when I have only one weapon available: e.g. Ranger Longbow (Power), Ranger Shortbow (Condi)

The question doesn't make much sense. First, why only one weapon when most classes can (and should!) use a weapon swap? But more importantly, it's difficult to make any sort of recommendation when we don't know the specifics of the builds in question. Weapons generally break down into power or condi, but it's not like I could say "Oh, you're a warrior using berserker gear? Okay, greatsword. Good to go!" without knowing more about your build.

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:The question doesn't make much sense. First, why only one weapon when most classes can (and should!) use a weapon swap? But more importantly, it's difficult to make any sort of recommendation when we don't know the specifics of the builds in question. Weapons generally break down into power or condi, but it's not like I could say "Oh, you're a warrior using berserker gear? Okay, greatsword. Good to go!" without knowing more about your build.

It is not about running only one weapon or using no weapon swap, I want to condense the gear carried by the professions. Like I said: If a Ranger would be having only one Longbow, it would be with Power stats. I don't want to have a Power AND a condi Longbow.I know that builds matter and the choice would not be peak performing. I just want suggestions on how to condense the items carried to the most essential possible.

@Gorani.7205 said:

@"AliamRationem.5172" said:The question doesn't make much sense. First, why only one weapon when most classes can (and should!) use a weapon swap? But more importantly, it's difficult to make any sort of recommendation when we don't know the specifics of the builds in question. Weapons generally break down into power or condi, but it's not like I could say "Oh, you're a warrior using berserker gear? Okay, greatsword. Good to go!" without knowing more about your build.

It is not about running only one weapon or using no weapon swap, I want to condense the gear carried by the professions. Like I said: If a Ranger would be having only one Longbow, it would be with Power stats. I don't want to have a Power AND a condi Longbow.I know that builds matter and the choice would not be peak performing. I just want suggestions on how to condense the items carried to the most essential possible.If your goal is marauder or viper, then use only marauder weapons. Simple as that. That allows the "condi" gear (which isnt really condi, its hybrid) to make decent use of the weapon stats, while the power gear would obviously make the best use of the stats. Doing it the opposite way just gets you pointless condi+expertise on a power build.

Even if we are talking about actual condi gear (trailblazer or dire for example) I would still say go marauder weapons because having condi weapons on a power set is totally pointless, while power weapons on the condi set still gives something as power damage is still a part of condi builds.

I dont really know if that is the answer you seek. Tbh saving space became obsolete with the templates. You can now have full vipers and full marauders builds with zero items in your inventory.

I used to do something similar. Eventually, I would by duplicates with different stats for weapons that have both condi and power builds, but here's where I started with each.

EngineerRifle: PowerSword: PowerHammer: PowerPistol: Either. I have condiShield: Either. I have Power.

ThiefRifle: PowerSword: PowerShortbow: PowerPistol: Either. I own both, but went with power firstDagger: Either. I own both, but went with power firstStaff: Power

RangerLongbow: PowerGreatsword: PowerShortbow: CondiTorch: CondiSword: CondiI don't play ranger, but I believe that all other weapons are hybrid and can be either/or.

ElementalistStaff: PowerAll other weapons are hybrids, but because I don't have a true condi set on ele I just run power on each.

NecromancerStaff: PowerDagger: Both. Main-hand is power, off-hand is condi.Scepter: CondiTorch: CondiAxe: PowerGreatsword: PowerFocus: PowerWarhorn: Power

MesmerGreatsword: PowerSword: PowerScepter: CondiTorch: CondiStaff: CondiFocus: PowerPistol: PowerAxe: Hybrid, but I run powerShield: Power

RevenantSword: PowerAxe: Hybrid, but I run CondiMace; CondiShield: PowerStaff: PowerHammer: PowerShortbow: Hybrid, but I run Condi

GuardianNearly all guardian weapons are hybrid. But, this is what I use.Sword: PowerShield: PowerFocus: PowerGreatsword: PowerLongbow: PowerHammer: PowerScepter: CondiAxe: CondiTorch: Condi

WarriorSword: CondiLongbow: CondiTorch: CondiAll others: Power

Most weapons have an obvious bias except Firebrand axe , ranger axes, and weaver sword.

For openworld I would not use condi at all except maybe Firebrand axe.

on a strictly one full weaponset basis based off spec:Firebrand: axe+torch , scepter+torch --- the only time condi makes senseDH / core guard: Sword+focus or scepter+focus, GreatswordRevenant : double sword, staff (or hammer for PVE memes , you will camp swords usually anyway)Mesmer / chrono: sword+sword or sword+focus, GreatswordWarrior (any spec): double axe , double maceRanger (any spec): sword+axe or axe+axe if you need to range and use greatsword, longbow/greatswordWeaver: sword + daggerTempest: scepter + warhornHolo: sword+shield (openworld) , sword+pistol otherwiseScrapper: hammerDaredevil : staffDeadeye: rifle (not enough cleave generally so just run daredevil)Reaper: Axe+warhorn, Greatsword

@Gorani.7205 said:

It is not about running only one weapon or using no weapon swap, I want to condense the gear carried by the professions. Like I said: If a Ranger would be having only one Longbow, it would be with Power stats. I don't want to have a Power AND a condi Longbow.I know that builds matter and the choice would not be peak performing. I just want suggestions on how to condense the items carried to the most essential possible.

If you're trying to pick just one stat combination for each weapon then you need to look at the weapon skills: see how many of them cause damaging conditions. For example it makes no sense to have condi stats on a ranger's long bow because the long bow skills only cause cripple and vulnerability, neither of which is affected by condition damage. But equally condi stats are a better choice for a ranger's short bow because it has low base damage and a lot of the total damage comes from poison and bleeding.

The same is true for most weapons (with a few exceptions), although it does vary by profession, for example while sword is a condi weapon for a ranger it's a power weapon for a guardian, so you won't be able to share 1 sword between them without changing the stats.

Don't forget to consider your traits (and sigils) as well as some of them can be used to add conditions to attacks. If you want to use those traits then make sure you choose condi weapons and stats to match, if you don't mind which traits you're using then match them to the stats you choose.

(Another thing you might want to consider if you've narrowed your stat selections down to maurauder's or viper specifically is that viper's stats are purely offensive, without some defense built in elsewhere they produce a 'glass cannon' build where you're entirely reliant on active defenses like dodging and kiting to stay alive. Whereas marauder's stats include vitality for higher health, giving you a bit more leeway if things are going wrong, so you might want to consider how you typically play the character and how comfortable you are relying on active defenses when deciding which to focus on.)

@Blood Red Arachnid.2493 said:

RangerSword: Condi

@Danikat.8537 said:[...]while sword is a condi weapon for a ranger

Sword is not really a condi weapon for ranger. Yes, it can apply a little bit of poison, but it will generally deal a lot more dmg with power builds. Axe and dagger are the go to mh condi weapons for ranger (both work for power builds too tho).

@Ashantara.8731 said:

Baseline:
All professions have a Power (Marauders) armour set

You meant
Berserker's
. No one uses (a full set of) Marauder's in PvE.

Marauder's is a fine PvE set, not everyone can mitigate every attack. It is a great buffer to have that extra vitality when facing new content and solo content, and how often in Open World Zergs does having the extra few percentage points of dmg matter?

so honestly its very hard to take in ur question xD because u didnt state what class u playing. every class has different builds, and u can choose out of those builds.

but from what i see is that if u choose power build, then ur weapon should be power as well. it does u nothing good if u have power weapon and condi weapon in the same build.

as u say if u runnin power ranger, then berserker/marauder longbow it is

my main is power soulbeast, druid, and condi mirage. so i use berserker longbow for my soulbeast, harrier staff for my druid, and viper axe/pistol for my mirage. i dont mix different stat in one build. if its berserker then all berserker.

except for example like my condi mirage, i wanna add a lil bit of survivability in there so i add some rabid armors as well.