Please rid us of Rytlock and Ryland by the end of this season!

Ashantara.8731

Do you have any particular moments or quotes from rytlock that rubbed you the wrong way? I liked rytlock as a character with a chip on his shoulder and a direct way of handling things, and I don't think he's ever deviated from that. Besides, with rytlock gone, who's logan gonna bro it up with?

@Fipmip.7219 said:Do you have any particular moments or quotes from rytlock that rubbed you the wrong way?

Many. His constant whining is too much to collect and quote. He is also disrespectful (see Kormir, for instance) and generally behaves like an [kitten] rather than an adult Charr. It has been toned down these past couple of releases, I have to admit that - but for years he has been going on my nerves. And that voice! Ugh. The constant exhales at the end of each little phrase, like everything around him was annoying him to death. As I said: a whiner.

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:As opposed to your own whiney, aggressive post?

Aggressive against Rytlock? Yes. Whiney? Well, when you have to repeat yourself a million times, you can start sounding whiney. ;)

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@Fipmip.7219 said:Do you have any particular moments or quotes from rytlock that rubbed you the wrong way?

Many. His constant whining is too much to collect and quote. He is also disrespectful (see Kormir, for instance) and generally behaves like an [kitten] rather than an adult Charr. It has been toned down these past couple of releases, I have to admit that - but for years he has been going on my nerves. And that voice! Ugh. The constant exhales at the end of each little phrase, like everything around him was annoying him to death. As I said: a whiner.

Aggressive against Rytlock? Yes. Whiney? Well, when you have to repeat yourself a million times, you can start sounding whiney. ;)

If you want to offer constructive criticism, you should support your argument with examples and offer insight as to what exactly is wrong with those instances.

Why should rytlock be respectful to kormir? The charr destroyed their gods and hold no respect for them, and rytlock is a fairly typical charr. In this scene, I think he offers a fairly interesting alternate perspective on the interaction between kormir and the heroes. on one side kasmeer is almost falling over herself in the presence of a god, and on the other, rytlock balances it out with his disdain.

@Fipmip.7219 said:

If you want to offer constructive criticism, you should support your argument with examples and offer insight as to what exactly is wrong with those instances.

Why should rytlock be respectful to kormir? The charr destroyed their gods and hold no respect for them, and rytlock is a fairly typical charr. In this scene, I think he offers a fairly interesting alternate perspective on the interaction between kormir and the heroes. on one side kasmeer is almost falling over herself in the presence of a god, and on the other, rytlock balances it out with his disdain.

Honestly his reaction to Kormir made me like him more.

This thread is a bizarre one—it shows that despite everything, there are still old-guard Ascalon obsessives who loathe the charr for no good reason, who believe that all charr should be beholden to their desires or put through a painful genocide. Why is this so?

Why not simply let the charr be their own people? Yes, they've had their problems—much as any race has—but the recent storyline has been dealing with just that, ousting their toxic leadership and challenging problematic old traditions. It's also shown us the Olmakhan, a charr culture from before the Six's incursion into Tyria. There's clearly, obviously room for the charr to grow and evolve.

I will say, up front, that I'm not a fan of fantastic racism embodied by players. It often comes off as too passionate, to the point where it feels like it's based off of other, more real bigotries. To reiterate: I'm not a fan. There is no logical, rational reason to single out the charr, there is no sensible reason to do so, there is no valid reason to do so. This all derives from what happened in a game released over a decade and a half ago.

Can we lay it to rest? There's something that I value called empathy. It's nice, empathy. It means that you can accept differences and appreciate that people like different things. I play charr, do I hate humans? No. Do I hate any of the races? No. In fact, more recent developments have only continued to endear the majority of Tyria's races to me. I enjoy their presence. There's no need for animosity.

The way this is going down? It's almost like the charr were responsible for something terrible that happened in our world—they weren't. Tyria is a fiction, a narrative, it wasn't and isn't real. It was written by humans situated within our phase, our reality. A lot of them, a vast number of different ones, all bringing their own ideas, beliefs, perspectives, and nuances to the story. The world changes and so must you. It's folly to hold these ancient grudges.

No matter how you feel about the charr—people do play them and they enjoy doing so. By going on like this, all you're doing is making charr players miserable. If you do have any empathy, understand that this is all best put to rest. Charr players are tired of hearing all this. It is best put to rest.

(It's really something when you actually feel you have to point out that the charr narrative is written by humans, and not giant-hyena cats sitting at mountains of broken keyboards because giant claws.)

• 4 weeks later...

Rytlock's tone and attitude is the only thing that makes me hate the story of guild wars 2.Without Rytlock I could enjoy every bit of it, but him throwing his cringy comments with his annoying tone or voice all the time..I swear it hurts me inside everytime he opens the mouth, I'm like oh god when will this be over. It's a shame because voice acting is great in a game, just not Rytlock's.He sounds like someone in the storytelling department has a very immature notion of what being a badass is, and it transpires in the worst possible way with Rytlock.It is fine that characters have flaws and sometimes bad personnalities, it's what makes them good characters usually, but with Rytlock I simply feel over-exposed to someone else's very poor concept of a badass. Cringy is the best term. I also wish Rylock would go away.

@Senteliks.2360 said:So the point of this thread is that everyone hates someone (or couple) in the main plot of the game and that we should make developers and writers job easier by requesting to remove them all from plot line and create new crew to pick the hate from where it left off

Pretty much, I guess. Can't say I particularly want anyone else to die off, but that sure seems to be the case with everyone else.

I have always supported the introduction of adult minded characters in the storyline, nobody likes to go on an epic mission to save the world with child minded characters, drama queens and clumsy troublemakers. Anet should support characters as role models for the young audience this game is addressed to. I would allow teenage characters only if they are obedient and responsible, no spoiled brats