Returning player looking for PvP Warrior help

Drunkstain.5639

Hey all, just returned back to GW2 after many, many, many years away. Friends got me to play again.

I am fully aware this is a learn to play issue as this is a high skill game. However, I am just getting trounced hard. I am following this currently:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Warrior_-_Greataxe

Ive heard some people talking about healbreakers and being support, I have absolutely zero interest in that playstyle. I like the small fights you know 1v1 2v2 type fights. Im not interested in ranked to much I am to terrible lol. I just want to be able to better hold my own. Is this build still up to date? I see a lot of people recommending rampage, perhaps Im using it wrong but it hasnt seemed to great to me?

Any advice on build changes, or tips of the trade I would greatly appreciate! Thanks all

Playing with tactics and rampage will make it harder to get lvl 3 eviscreate off (meaning you may want to skip using a GS burst to generate more adrenaline). You can also use signet of rage for passive adrenaline gain and an about 2k heal on active use an a short dmg boost.

Tactics warrior has a lot of burst heal and starts out with 2 stunbreaks but eventually your gonna be out of cd depending on how conservative you played in about 1.5minat this point the defense line actually starts to outperforms the tactics line from my personal experience.

You can also play Power spellbreaker dagger/shield Gs. Pretty much the same builds that have always existed.(going for an spb build will make you live a lot longer just because of fc, but in the end you still need to learn the fundamentals of warrior). Fc also gibes 1 stack of stability with makes it better for fighting builds with a lot of interrupts. And its better in teamfights because of the aoe daze.

I would recomend you play what you used to play at first. Hammer/Gs and Sworf/Gs dont really work after they removed the quickness on swap sigill.

If you dont want to stick with warrior ranger and revenant are good and very survivable 1v1 1v2 fighters as well.

You can also try a core defense version at your own risk. swap tactics for defense. get lower cd for shield plus reflect (against lich this is yummy) avoid the 300s xd traits. get cleansing ire for anti condi and feee adrenaline gain. use bullscharge berserker stance and stomp (shortest cd stunbreak with combo potential (kinda like uno reverse card))In war v war it isnt that great but you have a pretty free matchup vs condi revs , core necro and have decent matchups vs all theif builds condi thief as well.Bane of your existence are only mass interrupts and slow reactions. (With stomp you have to srunbreak extra fast cause you get some extra dmg from chrono shatters etc. Power mesmers especially those with lots of cc are your worst nightmare.Ranger is thoug but doable. revenant is very dependant ob your reactiontime and knowing the gaps in their I-frame.

Don't push yourself too hard and may the crit rng be with youalways

I'd swap FGJ for frenzy, EP, or stomp.I'd swap intel and battle onto GS and use courage( or revocation, cleansing),energy for axe. I get what it's trying to do but outside of getting higher evicerates there's no benefit to saving your adrenaline for tier 3 bursts and would be better off using Arcing.

All in all you're better off playing SBR but if you're F2P I get it. The build will suffice.

Don't use rampage it's nearly useless now. Rage will give you more bursts and activation has better synergy with the build.

The build seems to focus on axe but doesn't use axe mastery for some reason. Also it regards your axe 3 as niche which is way far from the truth. Spam axe 3 like it's a game of hot potato especially after bursting to take advantage of it's execute.

Never open with bulls charge nothing screams "I don't know what I'm doing" like that. Bulls is best used when the enemy is out of dodges or you use it as an evade/parry. EG: Enemy warrior uses shield bash, I use bulls charge. He gets interrupted and CC'd while I evade his CC.Same goes for GS3

Always use GS4 after GS3 unless you're going to hurt yourself doing it. EG: Hitting another war's Full Counter.

Stick to sides and don't get too invested in team fights. If you get outnumbered on a side node kite around and drag out the fight. Any time you're 1v2 and surviving you're giving your team value even if you lose your cap. Try and kill the ganker if they chase you solo.

If you lose your cap in a 1v2 gank and the ganker leaves make sure it's a winnable 1v1 after that or at the very least a stall on a decap. Never fight a prolonged fight on a capped node especially vs bunkers and decap builds. DH is meta atm and the build you're running is bad vs blocks. It's winnable but slow just cleanse the burning before it racks up DPS.

Don't be afraid to blow your skills. All of wars weapon skills have relatively low cool downs. Blow - Swap - Blow - Swap but put a modicum of thought into it. Swapping is sustain and dps.

War has a flow to chaining skills and can lock down people into heavy bursts. Just keep track of their stunbreaks and dodges.

FGJ for Frenzy, EP, Stomp because you're better off with a second stunbreak instead of trying to facetank damage and heal it off. One stack of poison and you're looking at seriously decreased value. Frenzy gives you burst options, EP has great mitigation, Stomp is a 24 second stunbreak/cc/stab and combos well into GS5.

Support War is for the birds.

rampage is actually a lot better than rage signet. Only use rage sigill if you lack adrenaline gain or for more honorable duells if you cant play without any elite. If you use it right you can get at least 6k dmg and a cc chain off it. wich converts into a full war combo. Heck you can even hitconfirm from the kick. Aside from the facrt that rampage strait out beats tornado and lich. On top of that you can stab stomp and occaisonaly get a clutch rez too. Not to mention that cc chaining an opponent in a teamfight for 4+sec is quite good in and off itself. leap is even a AOE stun.Furthermore its a decent way to force a decap if you kick them off and cc them offpoint in a sidenode situation.

Opening with bc is good if you time it at end of rolls etc. especially when you +1. Holding on to it only really makes sense in certain matchups like war or thief. If they dodge you still get a follow up if you are on axe.

Don't always use Gs4 after Gs3. Gs4 is one of the best skills atm to sneak in good and cheely dmg especially with the returning hit. In other words use your brain and be creative with it.

Thanks for the replies and information everyone I appreciate it. I do have spellbreaker now and trying to get use to that.

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Spellbreaker_-_Strength_Dagger

This is what I found for Spellbreaker build and its been going okayish. Im doing better with full counter compared to being core warrior. Thanks again for all the tips, Im going to keep practicing and attempting to get better. Anymore tips that you want to throw my way Ill definitely accept thanks all!

sorry to bust your bubble but there's nothing creative about warrior lol.warrior is so limited and so tunneled and forced, it's not unreal, in terms of creativity, warrior provides the least room for creativity, coming from a 2013 pvp war main who does esl

also shoutbreaker gonna be replaced real soon

@felix.2386 said:sorry to bust your bubble but there's nothing creative about warrior lol.warrior is so limited and so tunneled and forced, it's not unreal, in terms of creativity, warrior provides the least room for creativity, coming from a 2013 pvp war main who does esl

In terms of build creativity - maybe you are right, but when it comes to in-fight creativity there are few classes that do it better. As a warrior you have plenty of tools at your disposal - from incredible mobility to trap-disarming with your GS3, huge amount of blocks/evades, quick endurance regen, incredible bait potential, great pressure, fast weapon swaps, very good condi-clear etc.

However the moment you stop that pressure, the moment you stop moving you are pretty much dead. This can be said about every class, but it is especially true for a warrior that relies a lot on kiting the enemy and tricking them. That's why it is important to slow down a little bit; just enough to put a thought into every move and skill that you use, instead of panic-button mashing that will get you killed faster than any other class. Once you learn first how to properly react to every situation all your reactions will become instantious after some time of practice and then... you will be soloing current 2v2 mini-season almost without breaking a sweat.

@"Drunkstain.5639" said:Hey all, just returned back to GW2 after many, many, many years away. Friends got me to play again.

I am fully aware this is a learn to play issue as this is a high skill game. However, I am just getting trounced hard. I am following this currently:

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Warrior_-_Greataxe

Ive heard some people talking about healbreakers and being support, I have absolutely zero interest in that playstyle. I like the small fights you know 1v1 2v2 type fights. Im not interested in ranked to much I am to terrible lol. I just want to be able to better hold my own. Is this build still up to date? I see a lot of people recommending rampage, perhaps Im using it wrong but it hasnt seemed to great to me?

Any advice on build changes, or tips of the trade I would greatly appreciate! Thanks all

I advise you to try this build: https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Spellbreaker_-_Strength_Dagger

It's simple, it has amazing survivability (especially with Demolisher's Amulet) and boon-strip potential with dagger is just amazing in PvP. Read the tips listed in that link and follow this pattern if outnumbered (it's just one of many combos, there are almost infinite ways you can do this):

1. GS3 through enemies
  2. Give them a second to react and then dodge roll through them so that Reckless Impact can be triggered for some extra might and endurance gain from MMR trait.
  3. Hopefully you'll have enough Adrenaline to use Full Counter by now, depending on the situation you can wait a little for the enemies to use their more powerful abilits and CDs. Once FC hits targets and dazes them for a second, proceed with Hundred Blades or even auto-attacks to gain enough Adrenaline to use Arcing Slice.
  4. By this time you should've regained all your endurance back thanks to Might Makes Right and Building Momentum traits. If things look bad you can always swap to Shield and block incoming attacks or move away with GS5 or Bull's Charge (safer) so that you can heal up with Mending (always cast Mending outside of melee range).

Just by following these few steps correctly (don't forget to move and kite constantly!) you can have almost unending evasion, while executing powerful attacks when the opportunity arises. Use "Shake it Off!" only when severly hindered by condis (or use it for stun-break) and prioritise Mending (when damaged) and weapon swapping for your general condi clear. Bull's Charge is both offensive and defensive skill as it gives you full evasion while charging and if you land a knockdown just follow it with Frenzy + Hundred Blades + Arcing Slice + GS3 - if your opponent is out of defensive CDs this will pretty much execute him on the spot.Dagger3 (Disrupting Stab) is great when followed by Shield Bash and F1 (Breaching Strike), especially when enemy has lots of boons on them. It's even better if you have an ally that can follow up on this and keep bursting him/her down while the enemy is dazed. Dagger2 and Dagger F1 (Breaching Strike) are great for mobility, especially when combined with GS5, GS3 and Bull's Charge. Very few classes are capable to keep up with you, so if you feel that you are in a serious danger you can easily run away.

And there is many, many more combos just for this build alone that I could talk about for the whole night, but I don't have that much time. Go out there and practice. Try not to panic, learn enemy moves and learn how to properly react to them. After some time you will become a real menance on the battlefield :)

BTW I've always found Svarnir and Chieftain bosses in Heart of the Mists very good for practicing basic moves with warrior.

@Omernon.9762 said:

@felix.2386 said:sorry to bust your bubble but there's nothing creative about warrior lol.warrior is so limited and so tunneled and forced, it's not unreal, in terms of creativity, warrior provides the least room for creativity, coming from a 2013 pvp war main who does esl

In terms of build creativity - maybe you are right, but when it comes to in-fight creativity there are few classes that do it better. As a warrior you have plenty of tools at your disposal - from incredible mobility to trap-disarming with your GS3, huge amount of blocks/evades, quick endurance regen, incredible bait potential, great pressure, fast weapon swaps, very good condi-clear etc.

However the moment you stop that pressure, the moment you stop moving you are pretty much dead. This can be said about every class, but it is especially true for a warrior that relies a lot on kiting the enemy and tricking them. That's why it is important to slow down a little bit; just enough to put a thought into every move and skill that you use, instead of panic-button mashing that will get you killed faster than any other class. Once you learn first how to properly react to every situation all your reactions will become instantious after some time of practice and then... you will be soloing current 2v2 mini-season almost without breaking a sweat.

@"Drunkstain.5639" said:Hey all, just returned back to GW2 after many, many, many years away. Friends got me to play again.

I advise you to try this build:

It's simple, it has amazing survivability (especially with Demolisher's Amulet) and boon-strip potential with dagger is just amazing in PvP. Read the tips listed in that link and follow this pattern if outnumbered (it's just one of many combos, there are almost infinite ways you can do this):
  1. GS3 through enemies
  2. Give them a second to react and then dodge roll through them so that Reckless Impact can be triggered for some extra might and endurance gain from MMR trait.
  3. Hopefully you'll have enough Adrenaline to use Full Counter by now, depending on the situation you can wait a little for the enemies to use their more powerful abilits and CDs. Once FC hits targets and dazes them for a second, proceed with Hundred Blades or even auto-attacks to gain enough Adrenaline to use Arcing Slice.
  4. By this time you should've regained all your endurance back thanks to Might Makes Right and Building Momentum traits. If things look bad you can always swap to Shield and block incoming attacks or move away with GS5 or Bull's Charge (safer) so that you can heal up with Mending (always cast Mending outside of melee range).

Just by following these few steps correctly (don't forget to move and kite constantly!) you can have almost unending evasion, while executing powerful attacks when the opportunity arises. Use "Shake it Off!" only when severly hindered by condis (or use it for stun-break) and prioritise Mending (when damaged) and weapon swapping for your general condi clear. Bull's Charge is both offensive and defensive skill as it gives you full evasion while charging and if you land a knockdown just follow it with Frenzy + Hundred Blades + Arcing Slice + GS3 - if your opponent is out of defensive CDs this will pretty much execute him on the spot.Dagger3 (Disrupting Stab) is great when followed by Shield Bash and F1 (Breaching Strike), especially when enemy has lots of boons on them. It's even better if you have an ally that can follow up on this and keep bursting him/her down while the enemy is dazed. Dagger2 and Dagger F1 (Breaching Strike) are great for mobility, especially when combined with GS5, GS3 and Bull's Charge. Very few classes are capable to keep up with you, so if you feel that you are in a serious danger you can easily run away.

And there is many, many more combos just for this build alone that I could talk about for the whole night, but I don't have that much time. Go out there and practice. Try not to panic, learn enemy moves and learn how to properly react to them. After some time you will become a real menance on the battlefield :)

BTW I've always found Svarnir and Chieftain bosses in Heart of the Mists very good for practicing basic moves with warrior.

Thank you!

Im trying this build with Demolisher and Fighter rune and trying out Frenzy. Its going pretty decently. If you land that BC with frenzy into hundred blades its a lotta pain coming! I think Demolisher is better suited for noob like me, allows more mistakes haha. Going to keep practicing and thanks everyone for all the tips in this thread it has been very helpful!

Anymore knowledge that anyone wants to drop Id love to hear it. Thanks all!

@Victor.4398 said:

@"Drunkstain.5639" said:Anymore knowledge that anyone wants to drop Id love to hear it. Thanks all!I've recently uploaded this, which I think would be helpful in your situation:
If it isn't, lemme know and I'll delete this post.

This is pretty great. Ive been slowly improving. I think one of the hardest things is trying to lrean what all the other classes can do as well. Thats an interesting idea of having signet of stamina for condition cleanse. Thas basically all I would using shake it off for, and it gives passive stamina? Ill try that out.

Thanks again everyone I love all the helpful tips in here!

@Drunkstain.5639 said:This is pretty great. Ive been slowly improving. I think one of the hardest things is trying to lrean what all the other classes can do as well. Thats an interesting idea of having signet of stamina for condition cleanse. Thas basically all I would using shake it off for, and it gives passive stamina? Ill try that out.

Thanks again everyone I love all the helpful tips in here!

Signet of stamina is a more selfish condi cleanse, while shake it off is team-oriented. Berserker stance is still a viable option as well.Using defense spec line is gonna get you a lot more condi cleanse too, but that will take a lot away from your damage output.And yeah, knowing what the other classes can do and noticing what kind of build they're running is definitely a good thing.

Good luck!

Warrior is dead, you can find some videos or advices, but it works against really big noobs, to be honest if you take 2 same skilled pvp players, warrior player will never win because of adrenaline generation, low heals, his important skills do 0 damage because of CC's and rest of skills are weak.. Warrior's main heal is ''number 6'', because you can't play without discipline (mobility, weapon swap and adrenaline), you need to take deffensive, tactic or strengh and there is 0 heal for dmg playstyle even after small buff MMR, so funny for primarily close combat class, you don't even have protection lol.. My advice ? Don't play warrior, it's unplayeable and PvP community is toxic af. Play necromancer, you can use only your head insteed of fingers to press buttons on keyboard and you will still keep winning..Warrior is almost 5 years my main, 5700 hours, 2000 games in pvp and I've only visited plat.1 for a few times for a moment in last year. Playing necromancer ? Plat.3 ? No problem lol.

@Morokey.8534 said:Warrior is dead, you can find some videos or advices, but it works against really big noobs, to be honest if you take 2 same skilled pvp players, warrior player will never win because of adrenaline generation, low heals, his important skills do 0 damage because of CC's and rest of skills are weak.. Warrior's main heal is ''number 6'', because you can't play without discipline (mobility, weapon swap and adrenaline), you need to take deffensive, tactic or strengh and there is 0 heal for dmg playstyle even after small buff MMR, so funny for primarily close combat class, you don't even have protection lol.. My advice ? Don't play warrior, it's unplayeable and PvP community is toxic af. Play necromancer, you can use only your head insteed of fingers to press buttons on keyboard and you will still keep winning..Warrior is almost 5 years my main, 5700 hours, 2000 games in pvp and I've only visited plat.1 for a few times for a moment in last year. Playing necromancer ? Plat.3 ? No problem lol.

Thats okay. I dont ever see myself trying to play competitive in this game. I just want to improve a bit and not be worthless like I was when I first started haha. Feel like I can make contributions in games now.

I just like the warrior class. If its considered worse than others Im not going to jump to another class. Just means one day we would be in line for a buff! For time being, maybe since Im playing noobs like myself I am holding my own and thats all I want :smile: