It is time for introduction of the GreatAxe

Eagelseye.6312

Dear Devs,

With the new expansion, it is time to have a new weapon set. I have created a few but missed mentioning the 2 Hand GreatAxe. It is a must-have weapon type for the heavy armor races especially the Warrior class. It would be epic if Warrior having a 2H Great Axe can play a tank spec in PvE/Raids and a DPS spec of course in PvP.

Also, a Spear and a Shield combo Tank Spec combo for the heavy class or a dps spec for the medium or light class would be really great, but this is secondary/luxuary. Having a GreatAxe is a must now for the game.

It's absolutely not a must for the game by any stretch, but I wouldn't object to it either. As others have said, if we get one it'll be a hammer skin in the same way flails became mace skins and scythes became staff skins.

Greataxe isn't top of my list of new weapons if such things were to be added. I'm not sure it would add anything Greatsword or Hammer doesn't already cover

@Loosmaster.8263 said:

@"Funky.4861" said:You realise that you will just get a reskinned hammer, right?

That would be fine if it has Axe use skill animations and not the hammer, lol.

Which would make it just an axe with unreasonably and uncomfortably long handle. Anything they could do with "greataxe", they can do with hammer or axe, so I don't see the point tbh

• Confused 1

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:I'm not opposed to the idea. I was disappointed when great axe was not an option at release. But what would it offer that axe/axe doesn't already offer? A 2h axe would have to be AoE, but axe/axe is already an amazing AoE weapon.The one niche left is having a weapon that is melee but it has larger range, something like 300 to 450 range.

@Vancho.8750 said:

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:I'm not opposed to the idea. I was disappointed when great axe was not an option at release. But what would it offer that axe/axe doesn't already offer? A 2h axe would have to be AoE, but axe/axe is already an amazing AoE weapon.The one niche left is having a weapon that is melee but it has larger range, something like 300 to 450 range.

Mmmmmm.... Noob blender.....

Hurricane axe, cyclone axe at 450 range and hits 4 times. Say GA2

All consuming swing. Forward AoE cleave at 600 range. Hits hard like decapitate, inflicts 15 vulnerability. Would have to be a burst.

Axe rake. 450 cone AoE, cripples. Ammo charges. GA 3

Axe Twist. 300 range AoE, hits twice. Inflicts weakness on each hit. GA 4

Sundering chop. Single target attack at 300. Hits twice, deals +15% critical damage versus weakened does. Maybe this instead on GA 4.

World splitting swing. 450 range AoE. Knocks targets down on the first hit for 3s followed by 4 swift attacks. GA 5.

AA chain cleaves. Single swing that applies vuln, a second swing hits 10% harder applied cripple. Last swing is a pbaoe, 20% stronger than the first swing and applies weakness.

So many noobs would die to it that it would suffer a 33% damage nerf the weak after it would be released.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:

Mmmmmm.... Noob blender.....

Hurricane axe, cyclone axe at 450 range and hits 4 times. Say GA2

All consuming swing. Forward AoE cleave at 600 range. Hits hard like decapitate, inflicts 15 vulnerability. Would have to be a burst.

Axe rake. 450 cone AoE, cripples. Ammo charges. GA 3

Axe Twist. 300 range AoE, hits twice. Inflicts weakness on each hit. GA 4

Sundering chop. Single target attack at 300. Hits twice, deals +15% critical damage versus weakened does. Maybe this instead on GA 4.

World splitting swing. 450 range AoE. Knocks targets down on the first hit for 3s followed by 4 swift attacks. GA 5.

AA chain cleaves. Single swing that applies vuln, a second swing hits 10% harder applied cripple. Last swing is a pbaoe, 20% stronger than the first swing and applies weakness.

So many noobs would die to it that it would suffer a 33% damage nerf the weak after it would be released.

I love the idea of Greataxe being added and the skills you mentioned. But the Executioner's Axe skills reworked to do dmg, with burst animation and added skill 5?better AA chain would be quite cool and easier to implement imo.

@XenoSpyro.1780 said:

@Funky.4861 said:You realise that you will just get a reskinned hammer, right?

Not if it was a new weapon category.

I think the point is that new weapon categories are highly unlikely ... and believe it or not, undesirable for players anyways. Sure people say they want new weapons ... until they find out it will only have a handful skins. The reality is that there isn't much of a business case for Anet to make new weapon categories when they can already choose from old ones that are far ahead of the curve in development, EVEN if they screw themselves out of weapon choices on a class like Warrior.

@"Obtena.7952" said:EVEN if they screw themselves out of weapon choices on a class like Warrior.

Well, anyhting can be a weapon in a warrior's hands even if prejudices lead people to think that a specific weapon is bound to be a "magic" thing. That said I do agree with your arguments about weapon categories, ANet created to many weapon skins lists over the years to implement a whole new weapon without making this weapon feel "empty".

As i say on all these omg new weapon. What mechanical difference would the weapon bring over existing options really? We don't have differences in piercing, slashing and blunt damage. Animation wise a great axe is going to have similar animations to a greatsword or hammer. Mechanically you would use a great axe in a similar fashion to a hammer anyway.

There is not reason to expand the weapon pool, we have 16 land weapons that cover many different facets and it's really unlikely we would get more. All the common suggestions could be easily replaced by an existing weapon that could perform mechanically the same.

Great axe - hammer or greatswordOne handed spear - Axetwo handed spear/polearm - staffmainhand shield - maceoffhand scepter - torch/focus

Aside from a little flavour you gain so little by trying to add a new weapon type. Not to mention the time involved in adding skins, legendaries etc... for the new weapon.

• 2 weeks later...

@Eagelseye.6312 said:Dear Devs,

With the new expansion, it is time to have a new weapon set. I have created a few but missed mentioning the 2 Hand GreatAxe. It is a must-have weapon type for the heavy armor races especially the Warrior class. It would be epic if Warrior having a 2H Great Axe can play a tank spec in PvE/Raids and a DPS spec of course in PvP.

Also, a Spear and a Shield combo Tank Spec combo for the heavy class or a dps spec for the medium or light class would be really great, but this is secondary/luxuary. Having a GreatAxe is a must now for the game.

They will not introduce new weapons in the game. History has shown us that. We will be given access to an existing weapon within the game with our new Cantha espec. My money is on Staff or Pistol.

It's pointless dreaming about GreatAxe....