How do you get out of binding roots on a minstrel support?

Veprovina.4876

@ArchonWing.9480 said:

I didn't pick that build online, i made it myself with discussions from my guild. The online builds are weird and don't really synergize well.

Whatever. Point is it doesn't work when it's put in situations it was never meant to handle.

But the introduction of warclaw largely eliminated the need for "moving build" don't you think?

Well, why does this thread even exist then? Dismounts exists too and sometimes you do have to fight your way to your group.

Though, if you get to a group and they're mid fight, you need to stop, change the build again to be able to join first, which even if fast, takes some time. I guess it depends on the situation.

What are you doing so that you can't spare 2 button presses? Also having a suboptimal build for your group is better than not making it to your group at all.

I mean I'm not sure what you want to hear. Neither of your condi cleanses work against immobilize because they don't clear enough condis at once. It would not even suffice against non-roots a lot of the time either. Yes roots is a terrible mechanic, but I doubt your group cares about that when they're one down.

The thread exists because - like i've said already, the skill is bugged and sometimes you can't get rid of it by any means. That's all.I didn't even say i dislike the skill, why are you derailing the conversation to be about me here? It's not about my build, i never complained about being killed en route to somewhere. I get pulled a lot as well and dismounted and i never made a thread complaining about those. Those are working as intended and they're fine.

I just said, the skill is bugged, from later responses it was suggested that server lag might have something to do with it which i accepted.Because the bugs have nothing to do with my build.

You're the one that continued to post after the thread was over. :tongue:I don't know what you want me to say. Yes, you're stating the obvious - my group build isn't good for getting to places and 1v1 fights. I mean, ok, yeah, no kitten, that was never the complaint. You did point out i can switch it, and if i'm not lazy i just might. Or i might get killed again if i get pulled and can't defend myself with weak minstrels. Whatever. If that happens i won't rush to the forums and it already did some times and i never complained about it. Because that was never the point.

The point is the bug.

You don't own this thread and decides when it ends just because you started it. My advice is relevant to anyone that seeks help on this topic.

It's not a bug and there are people in this very thread that are countering it easily. Like I said again, it's because singular condi clears are not effective due to cover conditions.

I mean, I just came along to tell you how to deal with it completely, while explaining why your current methods are flawed. But since you don't appreciate it, well just sit there and die next time. I don't care either way. Maybe other players will take heed.

So, not being able to use your weapons while under the effect of roots is not a bug?Roots being on you indefinitely despite it saying it only lasts 4-5 secondsis not a bug?Not being able to clense a condition when it's the only one is not a bug?

I mean, i get what you're saying, but i wasn't having a problem with the skill when it worked correctly. It's not the first time i was rooted. I get pulled a lot too, i never made a thread about pulls. I only made the thread when that roots skill bugged out. Yet you chose to ignore all the points and everything i was telling you and dismiss it like it was nothing, while focusing on the thing i have no problem with.Why can't you just accept that hey, sometimes some stuff gets bugged? And that in this case, the server lag that people were having that day could have contributed to the weird behaviour?

@Veprovina.4876 said:

I didn't pick that build online, i made it myself with discussions from my guild. The online builds are weird and don't really synergize well.

Whatever. Point is it doesn't work when it's put in situations it was never meant to handle.

But the introduction of warclaw largely eliminated the need for "moving build" don't you think?

Well, why does this thread even exist then? Dismounts exists too and sometimes you do have to fight your way to your group.

Though, if you get to a group and they're mid fight, you need to stop, change the build again to be able to join first, which even if fast, takes some time. I guess it depends on the situation.

What are you doing so that you can't spare 2 button presses? Also having a suboptimal build for your group is better than not making it to your group at all.

I mean I'm not sure what you want to hear. Neither of your condi cleanses work against immobilize because they don't clear enough condis at once. It would not even suffice against non-roots a lot of the time either. Yes roots is a terrible mechanic, but I doubt your group cares about that when they're one down.

The thread exists because - like i've said already, the skill is bugged and sometimes you can't get rid of it by any means. That's all.I didn't even say i dislike the skill, why are you derailing the conversation to be about me here? It's not about my build, i never complained about being killed en route to somewhere. I get pulled a lot as well and dismounted and i never made a thread complaining about those. Those are working as intended and they're fine.

I just said, the skill is bugged, from later responses it was suggested that server lag might have something to do with it which i accepted.Because the bugs have nothing to do with my build.

You're the one that continued to post after the thread was over. :tongue:I don't know what you want me to say. Yes, you're stating the obvious - my group build isn't good for getting to places and 1v1 fights. I mean, ok, yeah, no kitten, that was never the complaint. You did point out i can switch it, and if i'm not lazy i just might. Or i might get killed again if i get pulled and can't defend myself with weak minstrels. Whatever. If that happens i won't rush to the forums and it already did some times and i never complained about it. Because that was never the point.

The point is the bug.

You don't own this thread and decides when it ends just because you started it. My advice is relevant to anyone that seeks help on this topic.

It's not a bug and there are people in this very thread that are countering it easily. Like I said again, it's because singular condi clears are not effective due to cover conditions.

I mean, I just came along to tell you how to deal with it completely, while explaining why your current methods are flawed. But since you don't appreciate it, well just sit there and die next time. I don't care either way. Maybe other players will take heed.

So, not being able to use your weapons while under the effect of roots is not a bug?Roots being on you indefinitely despite it saying it only lasts 4-5 secondsis not a bug?Not being able to clense a condition when it's the only one is not a bug?

I mean, i get what you're saying, but i wasn't having a problem with the skill when it worked correctly. It's not the first time i was rooted. I get pulled a lot too, i never made a thread about pulls. I only made the thread when that roots skill bugged out. Yet you chose to ignore all the points and everything i was telling you and dismiss it like it was nothing, while focusing on the thing i have no problem with.Why can't you just accept that hey, sometimes some stuff gets bugged? And that in this case, the server lag that people were having that day could have contributed to the weird behaviour?

Of course bugs and lag exists. But you can't just assume it's the only reason, especially when it's based on hearsay. Shouldn't we at least account for the issues that aren't dependent on bugs instead of assuming it must be a bug?

I mean what I said applies regardless. (Neither of your clears may work even if it were never bugged) so....

@ArchonWing.9480 said:

The point is the bug.

Of course bugs and lag exists. But you can't just assume it's the only reason, especially when it's based on hearsay. Shouldn't we at least account for the issues that aren't dependent on bugs instead of assuming it must be a bug?

I mean what I said applies regardless. (Neither of your clears may work even if it were never bugged) so....

What's your point exactly? That there's more reasons that a skill won't let me use weapons other than bugs and lag? Or that it won't go away?Also, did you just call me a liar? What hearsay? I wouldn't have made the thread if the skill was working like the last 50 times i got rooted.Why are you trying to derail the thread? I encountered some weird behaviour from a skill that wasn't there before. Someone should go look into it sometime, i assume it's due to server lag like other players suggested.

Btw, if the skill can't be clensed, why did most of the people then specifically say "clense and dodge twice" when that doesn't even work?

What are you actually talking about? Because you're not not only contradicting yourself but also other people that made suggestions already.

@Chaba.5410 said:Video or it didn't happen...

Well, since it was probably caused by server lag, it might be a while before i encounter that again.Also i'm not in the habbit of recording everything i do on the off chance i might see a bug.You'll just have to trust me on that.And if you don't i really couldn't care less.

I got my answer to the thread anyway - probably server lag, it was present that day - there's really no need to go further into this since i'm not asking about the skill in any way other than why was it behaving like that.

Also, did you just call me a liar? What hearsay?

Heresay is not lying. It is simply statements made without any proof or anecdotes. (basically this whole thread) It is possible that you could be mistaken even with the best of intentions. Should drop the defensiveness and take about 5 seconds to look up what a word means before throwing accusations around.

Btw, if the skill can't be clensed

Citation needed.

why did most of the people then specifically say "clense and dodge twice" when that doesn't even work?

What, did you think everyone who said that is just roleplaying or trying to mislead you? The simpler possibility is that you might be wrong.

Why are you trying to derail the thread?

Yo, the title of this thread is "How do you get out of binding roots on a minstrel support?" and everything I wrote pertains to that. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's derailing.

@"ArchonWing.9480" said:

Heresay is not lying. It is simply statements made without any proof or anecdotes. (basically this whole thread) It is possible that you could be mistaken even with the best of intentions. Should drop the defensiveness and take about 5 seconds to look up what a word means before throwing accusations around.

Citation needed.

why did most of the people then specifically say "clense and dodge twice" when that doesn't even work?

Are you saying that the people that said that are just lying?

Yo, the title of this thread is "How do you get out of binding roots on a minstrel support?" and everything I wrote pertains to that. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it's derailing.

Alright, i misunderstood what you meant by hearsay. I appologize.

You did say neither of my skills may work, so what is that supposed to mean then? If the root can be cleansed and my skills clense, then why wouldn't they work?

Also i didn't call anyone a liar, you implied that. I just asked you what's right then, you can either clense and dodge, or not. "May not work" means a bug. It either works or it doesn't.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

@"ArchonWing.9480" said:

Citation needed.

You did say neither of my skills may work, so what is that supposed to mean then? If the root can be cleansed and my skills clense, then why wouldn't they work?

Also i didn't call anyone a liar, you implied that. I just asked you what's right then, you can either clense and dodge, or not. "May not work" means a bug. It either works or it doesn't.

Null Field pulses 1 condi away per second. The Ranger's binding roots also pulse immobilize (dunno the exact time, but it's pretty fast). Now because it doesn't just inflict immob (also inflicts bleeding) plus your average condi druid has other conditions to put on you, you usually have multiple condis on you, and also will get more condis soon after.

Because of this, if your skill does not clear the immob, (say it cleared the bleed instead), then you are stuck and it'll stack immob on you again. That is why skills that only clear 1 condi at a time won't do anything to the immob. This is why neither the shatter clear or null field will help unless you get lucky.

Now, there actually is a bug where the immob can stack longer than intended, but that doesn't have to do with the cleansing part of it.

This is why dealing with it requires 2 steps. Cleanse, and the move away before it gets reapplied. If either fails, then you get stuck and no matter how many cleanses you spam; it won't work.

tl;dr it immobolizes multiple times, so even if you get rid of the immob, it can still catch you again with the next pulse.

@ArchonWing.9480 said:

Citation needed.

Null Field pulses 1 condi away per second. The Ranger's binding roots also pulse immolbize every second. Now because it doesn't just inflict immob (also inflicts bleeding) plus your average condi druid has other conditions to put on you, you usually have multiple condis on you, and also will get more condis soon after.

Because of this, if your skill does not clear the immob, (say it cleared the bleed instead), then you are stuck and it'll stack immob on you again. That is why skills that only clear 1 condi at a time won't do anything to the immob. This is why neither the shatter clear or null field will help unless you get lucky.

Now, there actually is a bug where the immob can stack longer than intended, but that doesn't have to do with the cleansing part of it.

This is why dealing with it requires 2 steps. Cleanse, and the move away before it gets reapplied. If either fails, then you get stuck and no matter how many cleanses you spam; it won't work.

tl;dr it immobolizes multiple times, so even if you get rid of the immob, it can still catch you again with the next pulse.

So you do after all said agree with what i said in the first place. That there's a bug where immob lasts longer than intended.Ok, i might have not been able to clense it, but what about not being able to attack the roots?

Well, you said it lasts until it is destroyed, which isn't true either. It does last longer than it should though.

In general, I don't destroy the roots unless I'm doing it for someone else. It takes too long to figure that out and react, so still cleanse+move even on power classes. And yes, Mesmer is unfortunate in the sense that they are very poorly equipped in dealing with it.

Also they're almost never gonna 1v1 except to troll so you don't have that luxury in most cases to destroy the roots. Maybe if you're a scourge or something.

Now if anyone wants to post themselves showing off how to teach us plebs how to destroy the roots, I'm cool with that too.

@"ArchonWing.9480" said:Well, you said it lasts until it is destroyed, which isn't true either. It does last longer than it should though.

In general, I don't destroy the roots unless I'm doing it for someone else. It takes too long to figure that out and react, so still cleanse+move even on power classes. And yes, Mesmer is unfortunate in the sense that they are very poorly equipped in dealing with it.

Also they're almost never gonna 1v1 except to troll so you don't have that luxury in most cases to destroy the roots. Maybe if you're a scourge or something.

Now if anyone wants to post themselves showing off how to teach us plebs how to destroy the roots, I'm cool with that too.

Destroying them is usually my first reaction. i usually equip sword, then do the second skill, and a bit auto attack and i tend to break free most of the time. I'll try that clense+dodge trick then.

Still, that "you can't attack" thing was definitely not supposed to happen. Oh well, all in all, i don't deal with roots that much, and in blobs they're not that effective anyway so you can just ignore them.

@Veprovina.4876 said:

Well, since it was probably caused by server lag, it might be a while before i encounter that again.Also i'm not in the habbit of recording everything i do on the off chance i might see a bug.You'll just have to trust me on that.And if you don't i really couldn't care less.

I got my answer to the thread anyway - probably server lag, it was present that day - there's really no need to go further into this since i'm not asking about the skill in any way other than why was it behaving like that.

That's fair if you don't record everything. Lots of people don't. But no one is just simply going to trust someone's recollection of split-second events. There's a lot of text being generated over something that can't really be discussed objectively without objective evidence. That's why I made the comment about needing a video. Otherwise you guys are just going in circles with your posts.

The suggestion to dodge is because binding roots pulses the immobilize, not because no one believes you. That's how one gets out of binding roots. You can cleanse it and it gets re-applied if you don't avoid that re-application somehow.

@Chaba.5410 said:

That's fair if you don't record everything. Lots of people don't. But no one is just simply going to trust someone's recollection of split-second events. There's a lot of text being generated over something that can't really be discussed objectively without objective evidence. That's why I made the comment about needing a video. Otherwise you guys are just going in circles with your posts.

The suggestion to dodge is because binding roots pulses the immobilize, not because no one believes you. That's how one gets out of binding roots. You can cleanse it and it gets re-applied if you don't avoid that re-application somehow.

Yeah, after it was said that roots pulses the immobilize, clense and dodge make a lot more sense. Before that it wasn't really clear what people meant.The skill still tends to last longer than in the tooltip though, and not being able to attack or do anything while rooted in the water was probably just a bug. It's very niche bug though if that's it, and not likely to happen often so i don't mind.

@Veprovina.4876 said:Minstrel Chrono, sorry should have been more specific.But the problem is, i tried clensing but it didn't work. My shatters clense, i have null field, you just have to do damage to the roots. Cleansing didn't work, that's why i was asking wha to do. And i do run durability runes.

You need to either

• cleanse quickly and bursty (mantra of cleansing or arcane thievery; not 1 or 2 conditions, you need to cleanse everything here and now) + immediate dodge
  • a sword2 timed right (so the next tick misses) + immediate dodge
  • just teleport away; sword3 on a pet if necessary, blink, staff2

@"Dawdler.8521" said:The real question is how do you get into binding roots as a minstrel support in the first place.

Bad situational awareness. Which as it sounds like he is new, is understandable. That takes some time to learn in WvW.

Best tip for OP - remember to try and keep up with Zerg, don't be a "tail" and if you do have to run back to tag from spawn, wait for a few others to run with.

Also, you're a Mesmer, so when having to get back, swap in Blink and an Invisibility trait. Makes it a lot easier to cover the distance unmolested. Then swap back when you catch up to tag as soon as you can.