Which sPvP game mode should be supported the most in the future?

Lonami.2987

Pretty straightforward question, let's see what people thinks.

Standard game modes

These game modes are based on respawns and a final score goal, the match won by whoever reaches the final score first:

• Conquest: The original sPvP game mode, with a total of 9 maps. Capture points and kill players, includes secondary objectives unique to each map.
  • Murderball: Formerly known as 5v5 Team Deathmatch, only 1 map. Exclusively focused on player kills.
  • Stronghold: Only 1 map. Summon NPCs (including legendary heroes), assault the enemy base, and kill the enemy guild lord.

Arena game modes

These game modes are based on rounds, the match won by whoever wins more rounds:

• Team Deathmatch: Total of 4 maps. Exclusively focused on player kills.

List of maps

vLWLktu.png

New game modes?

ArenaNet said they were working on a new 10v10/15v15 game mode. Reworks for the existing modes (redesign Stronghold into a 10v10 game mode?) could be possible as well.

Cast your votes!

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:Tbh, just make more conquest maps with newer interesting objectives.

I'd like to see a shot at a new game mode, but historically people always like conquest better in the end.

They could also do the 2v2 and 3v3 arenas well by redesigning auric and hall. Those maps need to be opened up a bit more. They're too small.

I'm fine with Conquest, but the problem is that people play it wrong. It's been 8 years and many veterans don't even bother doing basic stuff such as decapping, rotating, and defending. Most of the players just want to kill each other and ignore the side objectives. I've lost track of the matches thrown at 450+ score by this kind of players, and the problem is the same across silver, gold, and platinum.

That's why I prefer Team Deathmatch, since it's pretty straightforward, and the fights are the only thing that matter. The reduced space is great too, since it forces people to stay together, and it's harder for selfish lone players to run away from danger while selling out the rest of the team. It's not a superior game mode by any means, but it works far better with GW2's playerbase, and the end result is far more satisfying too. I also think 3v3 is better than 2v2, since team composition has far more depth, and after the first kill the losing team can still win, since 2v3 can come back easier than 1v2.

Personally, I'm torn between Team Deathmatch (3v3) and a new game mode, but voted for the first just because I didn't want to turn the discussion into new game modes right from the beginning.

@Quadox.7834 said:suspend all work on the expansion and focus 100% of dev efforts on bringing back raid on the capricorn

I think that ship sailed a long time ago, irony not intended.

Tbh botting in WoW is actually more effective than coordinated players, for this reason, no 5v5 versions are something I support. It's only a matter of time before someone with a brain gets good at 5 bot super coordinated burns that a normal human can't react to.

I think we should get 3v3 versions of conquest and/or stronghold.

I think a fixed stronghold would be the most fun if we got rid of the pve and players had to pull seige to destroy the doors then you could maybe up numbers to 8 vs 8 in some cases.

PVErs are already enjoying this gamemode more.I would hate to think its because watching skritt rats bring them joy. So maybe this would bring more players.

seems like a better middle ground for wvw crossover also.

@Megametzler.5729 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:only conquest players are left and post on the forums. these kinds of polls are pointless.

Yes, that is the obvious reason and no other explanation makes sense. Deathmatch clearly is the superior gamemode and I just know everybody wants it!

i don't know whats going on at anet hq, but the problems with the other modes seem obvious. its really baffling to me why they don't balance and make changes more often.

I would like to see them revisit Stronghold and rebuild it as an even more MOBA-like game mode.

Basically having everyone play as pre-set classes and builds bundled into Mist Champions you pick before the match starts. Complete with a standard ban and pick system.

This is the only way to balance both Stronghold and Conquest.

• 4 weeks later...

@"Multicolorhipster.9751" said:Conquest and TDM. Could count Courtyard in TDM really.

They're the main modes and have the most maps and sport the only two Ranked gamemodes.

New content would be neat, but being realistic I don't think there's much on the horizon before EoD.

Courtyard is Murderball, not Team Deathmatch. The name of the game mode was changed a few years ago.

No one bothered to update the wiki for 5+ years, so I don't blame you for not knowing lol.

@Firebeard.1746 said:Tbh botting in WoW is actually more effective than coordinated players, for this reason, no 5v5 versions are something I support. It's only a matter of time before someone with a brain gets good at 5 bot super coordinated burns that a normal human can't react to.

I love 3v3 TDM but there's no way the maps of those other two game modes would work in a 3v3 environment at all. You'd need to reduce capture points in conquest from 3 to 2, and remove a lot of the filler in Stronghold. Not worth the hassle when you can create new game modes instead.

@choovanski.5462 said:everyone who thinks TDM is actually good in GW2 obviously never played courtyard

all AoE spam, no 1v1, no rotations. actual trash tier gameplay

honestly tho, wouldn't hurt to revamp courtyard. a bit of a shame to see the effort go to waste

Courtyard was never part of the TDM ranked seasons, that's like saying hotjoin is representative of ranked conquest (it isn't).

@TeqkOneStylez.8047 said:I think a fixed stronghold would be the most fun if we got rid of the pve and players had to pull seige to destroy the doors then you could maybe up numbers to 8 vs 8 in some cases.

PVErs are already enjoying this gamemode more.I would hate to think its because watching skritt rats bring them joy. So maybe this would bring more players.

seems like a better middle ground for wvw crossover also.

Agree, I think Stronghold should have been designed with 10v10 in mind. Alternatively, just rip off DotA and LoL, instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

@Liewec.2896 said:conquest maps, but keep them fairly simple.over-the-top side objectives are why maps like spritwatch and skyhammer were so hated,while simple maps like Coliseum and Foefire are so popular.

and for the love of the six, no trebuchets, cannons or skyhammers!!

Temple of the Silent Storm has the best secondary mechanic imo. Wish that one was the baseline for all the other maps.

@White Kitsunee.4620 said:2v2s were the most fun I've had with the game in a very long time.

I prefer 3v3, but yeah, got bored of Conquest long ago, mostly because lot of people still can't rotate after 8 years. In Team Deathmatch it's all about the fights, so you won't getto facepalm as much as in Conquest. Matches being short and quick helps a lot too.

Wish Team Deathmatch was available off-season, maybe remove Unranked and replace it with a TDM queue.

@TeqkOneStylez.8047 said:

@White Kitsunee.4620 said:2v2s were the most fun I've had with the game in a very long time.

Not enough people are telling them to make it perma. We are going to have to wait like 4 months to get to play it again for 2 weeks... It's a ridiculous system.

It's not even available in hotjoin, only through custom arenas :I.

@"Firebeard.1746" said:Tbh botting in WoW is actually more effective than coordinated players, for this reason, no 5v5 versions are something I support. It's only a matter of time before someone with a brain gets good at 5 bot super coordinated burns that a normal human can't react to.

I love 3v3 TDM but there's no way the maps of those other two game modes would work in a 3v3 environment at all. You'd need to reduce capture points in conquest from 3 to 2, and remove a lot of the filler in Stronghold. Not worth the hassle when you can create new game modes instead.

The reason I want to see 3v3 conquest is so there's a cost to coordinated ganging up (potential loss due to lost points), I feel like ganging up is one of the things that makes bots more powerful (in addition to faster reflexes with programs running at ghz now), at least in the WoW videos, the 1:1 of cap points to players is very intentional. I know people like the whole "capper" role in their conquest but I think in order to discourage high-end botting it needs to go away.

2v2 followed very closely by 5v5. It's easier to balance for large group interactions when you can monitor them small scale more easily. If a class is good at support but bad at being focused, or if a class is good at brief interactions but bad at sustained ones in general, that data should theoretically be highly visible when you compare what people play frequently in 2v2 vs what they play in 5v5.

You also create more opportunities to find people you would be willing to Duo queue with by seeing how they perform in a spotlight.

3v3 is basically 5v5. A cohesive, cherry picked 3 man team can pull the effort of a 5 man pug so use this sparingly. It is easier to get upsets in 2v2 vs premades than it is in 3v3.

@Firebeard.1746 said:I think we should get 3v3 versions of conquest and/or stronghold.

I'd also be willing to give the former the shot, but not the latter. Stronghold is a bit large for 3 players. Conquest is the perfect size for this.

@"Multicolorhipster.9751" said:Murderball,

Never do murderball unless it is for some special event that gives progress for even participating. It exacerbates the issues in conquest and in class balance and offers no remedy to cover them with smart play.

No shit, that's fun as hell nowadays. Nice quality matches without anyone going afk, crying about balance or about bad teammates or whatever..The only thing I'd love to have are the league rewards. But eh... I wouldn't be too mad if this never comes (at least if that means that league rewards remain tied to ranked - more below), I'd rather keep the positive experience and the added bonus of not losing rating. Idk why but I don't mind losing in Stronghold nearly as much as in Unranked Conquest..Maybe a new map or two would be extremely nice.

That being said I also wouldn't mind any of the other options. Basically ANY attention to sPvP would be highly appreciated.

In general I'd love to see some of the league rewards being either shifted into the reward track or redo the entire thing.. For WvW for example you can practically afk for 9min in your base then run out and cap a camp or something and you get maximum rewards. For sPvP I'm forced to do ranked clownfiesta, any other form of pvp excludes those rewards. Now don't get me wrong, please don't add new ones and I also don't think that stuff like Ascended Shards of glory should be moved.. But I'd appreciate getting at least the gold and maybe grandmaster marks.That way we could do full team queue without wasting time not getting anything done in the game.. I'm all for playing PvP because of fun and not for reward, it's just that if there's a really profitable sPvP mode around the corner with the exact same game mode, maps, etc it becomes a bit.. questionable.Now that I think about it, my only problem with unranked is that ranked is SO much more profitable.. It's virtually the same without the gold. I don't mind getting nothing out of a csgo match for example but in GW2, just because there's the alternative,.. idk, anyway.. a slight rework of the rewards would be nice.

@edit:WAAAIT!...

@Lonami.2987 said:ArenaNet said they were working on a new 10v10/15v15 game mode. Reworks for the existing modes (redesign Stronghold into a 10v10 game mode?) could be possible as well.When did they say that? And is this still relevant or just some 2015 stuff they abandoned long ago ever since but didn't tell anybody to keep some hope in the community?Now that you mention 10v10 and stuff... I'd also extremely highly appreciate Guild vs Guild.. I am currently not in any active guild but if sPvP or GvG became viable to play with friends again I'd definitely go out and join one again.