Novelties in World vs World

WolfHeart.1256

Is there any game breaking reason why most novelties are still not generally available during World vs World?

For example, I can use my Wolf Totem during open world, but not in World vs World. But I can use the Wolf tonic with the exact same effect in World vs World (gold sink for someone that already has the neverending novely unlocked).

At the same time, I can use /sit in World vs World, but I can't use my Great Lodge Chair. For someone that plays mostly World vs World, it's very disenchanting to keep buying and working towards these items which I can't use in this game mode I enjoy, considering I can't see how this would break the game in any way or give me any type of advantage over any other player.

@WolfHeart.1256 said:Is there any game breaking reason why most novelties are still not generally available during World vs World?

For example, I can use my Wolf Totem during open world, but not in World vs World. But I can use the Wolf tonic with the exact same effect in World vs World (gold sink for someone that already has the neverending novely unlocked).

At the same time, I can use /sit in World vs World, but I can't use my Great Lodge Chair. For someone that plays mostly World vs World, it's very disenchanting to keep buying and working towards these items which I can't use in this game mode I enjoy, considering I can't see how this would break the game in any way or give me any type of advantage over any other player.

As to specific items, I cannot offer reasons.

However, many of the items were able to be utilized in such a way to exploit them providing an advantage.

Because of this, MANY novelties have been turned off.

As a side note, some game breaking problems with the mount being to allow players to access some structures without breaching the structure still exist..

I was addressing them in general, but my specific issue is with Wolf Totem and Wolf Tonics, both of which have the exact same effect, but only the latter works. Coincidentally, it costs me gold to keep creating Wolf Tonics, when I already have the Wolf Totem novelty, which is free of use. I can't see what kind of advantage I could have from the Totem that the Tonic doesn't already give us...if any..

The chairs also force you to stand still, so I don't see how they would also allow you to breach structures :)

Because it is easier to disallow use to prevent any possible exploit/advantage gained by the novelties use than it is ti allow the use, someone finds a way to use it to their advantage, than try to "fix" it to prevent that from happening or revert the change.

I'm not gonna say they are not, because I don't know...but they are definitely not defined as mounts in the game. They fall under novelties and there is a separate drop-down for them under the Mounts list. Moreso, you can't move while sat in a chair.

But chairs aside... if they fix the transformations I'd still be happy, so I wouldn't have to keep creating tonics when I can just use my novelty transformation.

@"WolfHeart.1256" said:I'm not gonna say they are not, because I don't know...but they are definitely not defined as mounts in the game. They fall under novelties and there is a separate drop-down for them under the Mounts list. Moreso, you can't move while sat in a chair.

But chairs aside... if they fix the transformations I'd still be happy, so I wouldn't have to keep creating tonics when I can just use my novelty transformation.

1) You can move around (slowly) with the Inquest Overseer Chair

2) The game’s engine sees mounts as “non stationary chairs”Game Update Notes : “riding mounts (referred to in the engine code as "nonstationary chairs")“

That makes some sense in the current situation, but could probably be fixed as I guess they are not meant to be that way. Just speculating at this point.

Still leaves the question of the tonics. Again, I bring this up as novelties in general, but for what concerns me, I am only really interested in the Wolf Totem working, so I don't have to keep dishing out gold to craft tonics, when I already put a lot of effort into getting the novelty version :)

I believe part of the reason most novelties are turned off are to avoid unintentional exploits or unfair advantages. If I remember correctly, the Executioner Axe Toy was used for incredible mobility back in the old days of vanilla WvW, which I think is why ANet just removed them all together. It would be nice to have some things work in WvW... and it would be even more exciting if ANet added some chairs/novelties exclusive to WvW that we can purchase with WvW currency.

Atleast you can still tonic.

@fuzzyp.6295 said:I believe part of the reason most novelties are turned off are to avoid unintentional exploits or unfair advantages. If I remember correctly, the Executioner Axe Toy was used for incredible mobility back in the old days of vanilla WvW, which I think is why ANet just removed them all together. It would be nice to have some things work in WvW... and it would be even more exciting if ANet added some chairs/novelties exclusive to WvW that we can purchase with WvW currency.

But going through and identifying which novelties are harmless and which are exploitative takes time, money - in short, resources.

Now, who here thinks that ANET has extra resources to devote to WvW? Anyone?

When not being able to use novelties in WvW gets to the same level as 2000 gem PvE only mount skin not dyeing correctly, only then will it get addressed, right?

It would be nice if they didn't bulk everything together. I still keep my Nuhoch Warbler in my inventory but never get to use it and I don't see how it could be used in any exploit. It is getting tiring having to do a bunch of mundane pve grinding for stuff because the WvW specific items generally look like trash or uninspired, but then almost nothing interesting can be used in WvW. Even the mounts that are actually fun to use like the beetle are pve only. WvW doesn't even get any of the good music or visual aesthetic from expansions and story updates. It wouldn't be so bad being entirely cut off from the rest of the world if WvW allowed some of the more decent items.

• 6 months later...

@fuzzyp.6295 said:I believe part of the reason most novelties are turned off are to avoid unintentional exploits or unfair advantages. If I remember correctly, the Executioner Axe Toy was used for incredible mobility back in the old days of vanilla WvW, which I think is why ANet just removed them all together. It would be nice to have some things work in WvW... and it would be even more exciting if ANet added some chairs/novelties exclusive to WvW that we can purchase with WvW currency.

Mushroom tonic was another one that was heavily abused for mobility. The #2(?) skill is a long range dash with a brief pause at the end that could be skipped by exiting the transformation and re-entering to spam the dash repeatedly uninterrupted. It was pretty much a no-cooldown Warrior GS #5 (Rush). You can actually still use this tonic in WvW too, but obviously because you can't Tonic while in combat anymore it doesn't have any use.

As for the OP, I'd say what others have said is true. It's just easier to disallow most things to prevent potential exploits than to limit or adjust them individually. Because coding is such a weird thing, you can get some extremely unexpected results from the most unassuming actions.Just for an example- when you kill a player/NPC and it drops loot, it will move you slightly. In various locations various times in the past, this has been exploited to bypass walls/gates by standing at specific locations. I can vividly remember how easy this was to do at Inferno's Needle in EOTM and on North West inner gate in Stonemist Castle because both were so consistent. Kill an NPC while standing on specific terrain, and be teleported through the gate.

I do feel you with wanting to use certain novelties in WvW though. I've been wanting to use my chair forever, but I just stopped hoping it would ever happen.

@Shroud.2307 said:

Mushroom tonic was another one that was heavily abused for mobility. The #2(?) skill is a long range dash with a brief pause at the end that could be skipped by exiting the transformation and re-entering to spam the dash repeatedly uninterrupted. It was pretty much a no-cooldown Warrior GS #5
(Rush).
You can actually still use this tonic in WvW too, but obviously because you can't Tonic while in combat anymore it doesn't have any use.

Funny enough, ANet removed the ability to rush really quickly on the basic Mushroom Tonic, if you tried you wouldnt go very fast, but you can still get an insane mobility boost via the other mushroom tonics (king, queen, emperor) under certain circumstances. Yes it doesn't work out of combat, but it's pretty fun to use zipping past Warclaws lol. I reported the bug months so I assume as nothing has been done it must be a feature.

EDIT: Actually, the mobility boost might still work on the original mushroom tonic, now that I'm thinking back to it I might not have been under the correct circumstance. Ah well, either way I know it atleast works with the others.