Class Balance

Styros.8931

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The devs don't use codes to give themselves items in game, that weapon and armor require a huge time sink to get...it's safe to assume that he's a guardian main..., as it has been admitted in the past by the devs, the more people play a certain class in the office...the more input it will receives during balance meetings AKA bias at subconscious level where a profession which should be nerfed by , for example , 40% will get instead nerfed by 20%.

I won't call out any "hidden agenda"...I am simply pointing out the truth of the matter : the more devs play a profession, the easier it will get off the hook in a way or in another, meaning that the nerfs will be always targeted in a way that the profession will remain at its peak, it's common sense really, if the guy making the changes , plays also the class receiving them...well nothing much will change in terms of output

It's no secret that no dev plays ele actively, heck "one dev" ( I won't give out names for obvious reasons ) was surprised about the elementalist low HP when he tried to showcase : Tempest prior to HoT Launch...people can find the video on youtube.

Another class like guardian is Necromancer and by a small margin Engineer.....revenant is a rather..."shady business" and let's leave it at that.

Am I wrong?...So what professions will I see being played during devs streams?......

It does feel like that alot of the time, things will stay broken for months upon end if not years.

Also do note the trend over the years of Condi buffs and Power nerfs as well.

You'll also note a few classes that get next to no screen time when a dev is streaming or show casing. How many times have you seen a dev play an Ele, Mesmer or Warrior on stream (that isnt WvW blob combat (seriously do skills really matter there in that cluster)).

Personally Id want to see a total rehaul of every class, updated animations, different skill effects, timings/abilities. This would spark so much life back into the game, make the combat fell fresh again and... balanced between the classes.

We currently have a system of wack a mole. Dev nerf hammers one class but replaces it with another broken class/build. Clean slate, wipe it, start again make it new make it fresh.

Look at some of the core weapons in the game, staff being a massive offender, on all classes this is the most boring clumbsy weapon in the game, but it could be so much more with the correct animations and skills that it causes. Instead we have lazy copy and paste animations along side skills that never kept up with the skill progression of new specs/weapons. I could list a load of other weapons that just feel janky and clumbsy to use but i think ive said enough to make my point here.

The one thing I really want to see in 2021 is a massive overhaul balance patch, addressing all skills, all weapons, all animations, replacing what doesnt work in the game (like 90% of the physical skills) with something new that serves a purpose.

This whole trickle down balance, does not work. Imagine waiting over 9 months for a balance patch to address some seriously broken builds but then get a patch which only changes 2 things unrelated to what is really needed.

I think what Arheundel said is correct.

I do not blame this guard-dev at all for anything balance related. He just seems like a dude who just loves his class, plays all modes, and and there is nothing wrong with that. Sure, they are likely biased; but the issues linger farther up the chain where class bias is not the sole issue.

@"Arheundel.6451" said:The devs don't use codes to give themselves items in game, that weapon and armor require a huge time sink to get...it's safe to assume that he's a guardian main..., as it has been admitted in the past by the devs, the more people play a certain class in the office...the more input it will receives during balance meetings AKA bias at subconscious level where a profession which should be nerfed by , for example , 40% will get instead nerfed by 20%.

I won't call out any "hidden agenda"...I am simply pointing out the truth of the matter : the more devs play a profession, the easier it will get off the hook in a way or in another, meaning that the nerfs will be always targeted in a way that the profession will remain at its peak, it's common sense really, if the guy making the changes , plays also the class receiving them...well nothing much will change in terms of output

It's no secret that no dev plays ele actively, heck "one dev" ( I won't give out names for obvious reasons ) was surprised about the elementalist low HP when he tried to showcase : Tempest prior to HoT Launch...people can find the video on youtube.

Another class like guardian is Necromancer and by a small margin Engineer.....revenant is a rather..."shady business" and let's leave it at that.

Am I wrong?...So what professions will I see being played during devs streams?......

By that logic guard wouldnt have seen its builds decimated and been relegated to a b-c tier otp.

@KrHome.1920 said:Seeing a dev on a certain class. Reasoning that this might be the reason one specific build of that class overperforms (which it doesn't btw.).

Oh dear...

Yeah DH in ratings where majority of people play isn't overperforming at all, good one. DH is just stupid design and needs to be changed or if that is not possible currently, nerfed. It is very unfun to play against and bad for new/learning players.

@McPero.3287 said:

@KrHome.1920 said:Seeing a dev on a certain class. Reasoning that this might be the reason one specific build of that class overperforms (which it doesn't btw.).

Oh dear...

Yeah DH in ratings where majority of people play isn't overperforming at all, good one. DH is just stupid design and needs to be changed or if that is not possible currently, nerfed. It is very unfun to play against and bad for new/learning players.

They never said it wasn't overperforming ?

@McPero.3287 said:

Oh dear...

Lol un fun to play against, I love reading players writing this. Thief is also unfun to play against, mirage,a power splbr when it could actually do damage, holo, necro and its spec, revs(especially condi), renegade, druid and so on so on, the games gotten to a point thru bad balancing that not only are most classes unfun to fight but thier unfun to play as well. Players helped anet get it to this point as well with their incessant constant biased crys.

@Smoosh.2718 said:

The one thing I really want to see in 2021 is a massive overhaul balance patch, addressing all skills, all weapons, all animations, replacing what doesnt work in the game (like 90% of the physical skills) with something new that serves a purpose.

Yeah, you see... the last time we had a massive 'overhaul' patch, we got

This whole trickle down balance, does not work. Imagine waiting over 9 months for a balance patch to address some seriously broken builds but then get a patch which only changes 2 things unrelated to what is really needed.

I've decided to play other thing to scratch the pvp itch, and I only come back to GW2 to chip away at some long term pve goals. I'm not saying that it's impossible that ANet can really turn things around on the balance front, but it seems shamefully illogical to hope that they ever will.

@"Arheundel.6451" said:

Wishful thinking to assume that any balance team member puts in the time and effort to pick up Rev lol.Or simply they don't have the time to practice it.

Rev is really not an easy Profession to pick up, and high performing players on Rev have bashed their head onto the Profession for so long in order to produce the results.

Just me tinfoil hatting here but I'm under the impression the balance team has no idea how Rev is pushing damage out so they keep nerfing the same few skills which Revs use often in hopes that they somehow struck gold and nerfed the problem.

Spoilers : They didn't nerf the right thing, not once not ever.

@voltaicbore.8012 said:

Yeah, you see... the last time we had a massive 'overhaul' patch, we got

I've decided to play other thing to scratch the pvp itch, and I only come back to GW2 to chip away at some long term pve goals. I'm not saying that it's
impossible
that ANet can really turn things around on the balance front, but it seems shamefully illogical to hope that they ever will.

I wouldnt call that an overhaul patch, that was just a numbers change patch on lot of skills, which did not address some big issues with many skills and weapons.totally reworking them from zero really is the best way to make them feel new and fresh in the game... and something to base all the skills on from a balance point.

We currently have a system of wing it on patch day for balance.

I havent even touched gw2 (other than the occasional log on for a free item) since November. This will probably stay this way till something big is changed and done in the game to address its playability.

@Gwaihir.1745 said:

@"Arheundel.6451" said:The devs don't use codes to give themselves items in game, that weapon and armor require a huge time sink to get...it's safe to assume that he's a guardian main..., as it has been admitted in the past by the devs, the more people play a certain class in the office...the more input it will receives during balance meetings AKA
bias at subconscious level
where a profession which should be nerfed by , for example , 40% will get instead nerfed by 20%.

I won't call out any "hidden agenda"...I am simply pointing out the truth of the matter : the more devs play a profession, the easier it will get off the hook in a way or in another, meaning that
the nerfs will be always targeted in a way that the profession will remain at its peak
, it's common sense really, if the guy making the changes , plays also the class receiving them...well nothing much will change in terms of output

It's no secret that
no dev plays ele actively
, heck "one dev" ( I won't give out names for obvious reasons ) was surprised about the elementalist low HP when he tried to showcase : Tempest prior to HoT Launch...people can find the video on youtube.

Another class like guardian is
Necromancer
and by a small margin
Engineer
.....revenant is a rather..."shady business" and let's leave it at that.

By that logic guard wouldnt have seen its builds decimated and been relegated to a b-c tier otp.

I spent close to 1k hrs on guardian, being it my 3rd main, even went as far as to craft a 3rd legendary armor for it, also I main ele on which I have 8k hrs and in the end I experienced nerfs on both classes: I "cried" for the soft removal of the hammer burst which was my first official to go build on guardian but that didn't stop me from using other different builds ...and that's the fact...nerfs on guardian are always class tailored, so when you lose something ..you always gain something else and that's the opposite of ele where when you get nerfed...that's it..there is nothing to cushion the fall, you lose that gameplay option forever...jump on the next viable build waiting for it to be nerfed out of existence also.

So no...I don't need nerfs on guardian and I know exactly what you mean by B-C tier talk but that cannot stop me from telling the truth of the matter : "the professions mained by the devs tend to have an easier life in this game" and I have given a clear logical explanation on why that happens.

If you are a dev and play that class, you know what it makes it rumbles...you know what it needs and in what quantities, so the nerfs are not as destructive as with elementalist : they merely nerf the class based on what is being cried on in the forum without bothering to see if the class is still working after the change; they increased the CD on Twist of Fate as people were crying....now the class has a full set of 60s+ CD stunbreaks......they nerfed fire weaver saying too much burning dmg while on guardian I can burn snipe people with Spear of Justice or torch or the sword spirit.

The problem with this game and why I don't even bother with it anymore is that the devs themselves don't play their own game and they "balance" based on forum cries so what is not being actively used by few devs...get hacked to death with nerfs making the class virtually unusable...but all is fine as long as Timmy stop crying about it on the forum...that's what I mean with my posts

@Yasai.3549 said:

@"Arheundel.6451" said:

Necromancer
and by a small margin
Engineer

Wishful thinking to assume that any balance team member puts in the time and effort to pick up Rev lol.Or simply they don't have the time to practice it.

Rev is really not an easy Profession to pick up, and high performing players on Rev have bashed their head onto the Profession for so long in order to produce the results.

Just me tinfoil hatting here but I'm under the impression the balance team has no idea how Rev is pushing damage out so they keep nerfing the same few skills which Revs use often in hopes that they somehow struck gold and nerfed the problem.

Spoilers : They didn't nerf the right thing, not once not ever.

That dev @Roy , designed Revenant when HoT launched, the class was its brainchild and he's the one who modified the energy system have heavy feedback, he was the one who made the class susceptible to condi burst and he was the one to answer intelligently to Timmy who was crying on the forum about the weakness to condi.......the answer was "well the class must have a weaknesses"..he then left Anet like Jon Peters before him an event which signed the death warrant for ele as Jon was effectively the ele dev and was the one to re-shape d/d into a working state after launch, the one to add pre-Nerf Diamond skin and Stone Heart(in his words : to help ele against the unfair burst from necros and thieves)

@Jon left before HoT launch and ele got...Tempest...then Weaver, @Roy left after HoT and rev got....PewPew Renegade.....can you see the connection?

Yeah they don't know how Rev works but the reason why Rev is so strong right now is mostly thx to the Discord Shadow Council or in @CMC words: "revenanant is a class played the TOP players and top players tend to win"....good thing that rev is the favourite class of the shadow council....

@Psycoprophet.8107 said:

Oh dear...

Lol un fun to play against, I love reading players writing this. Thief is also unfun to play against, mirage,a power splbr when it could actually do damage, holo, necro and its spec, revs(especially condi), renegade, druid and so on so on, the games gotten to a point thru bad balancing that not only are most classes unfun to fight but thier unfun to play as well. Players helped anet get it to this point as well with their incessant constant biased crys.

In PoF release game wasn't fun yes because of insane power creep but right now Warrior (damage one), Holo, Necro, Mirage, Thief (apart from Deadeye) are all fairly balanced and fun to play against. The most toxic rev build is shiro builds not condi, condi rev actually dies now and plays damage traits in corruption instead of full resistance spam, but I guess here comes low elo mentality that anything that is condi is not skillful even though it has more counter play than power builds. You know rev is overtuned when bad players do well on it which seems to be the case at the moment. Saying balancing has been bad is also just wrong game has been getting progressively better after PoF launch disaster and CMC has more braincells than to listen to unreasonable mains crying on forums why their class is weak and how other class is OP.

@Arheundel.6451 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:The devs don't use codes to give themselves items in game, that weapon and armor require a huge time sink to get...it's safe to assume that he's a guardian main..., as it has been admitted in the past by the devs, the more people play a certain class in the office...the more input it will receives during balance meetings AKA
where a profession which should be nerfed by , for example , 40% will get instead nerfed by 20%.

I won't call out any "hidden agenda"...I am simply pointing out the truth of the matter : the more devs play a profession, the easier it will get off the hook in a way or in another, meaning that
the nerfs will be always targeted in a way that the profession will remain at its peak
, it's common sense really, if the guy making the changes , plays also the class receiving them...well nothing much will change in terms of output

It's no secret that
, heck "one dev" ( I won't give out names for obvious reasons ) was surprised about the elementalist low HP when he tried to showcase : Tempest prior to HoT Launch...people can find the video on youtube.

Necromancer
and by a small margin
Engineer

I spent close to 1k hrs on guardian, being it my 3rd main, even went as far as to craft a 3rd legendary armor for it, also I main ele on which I have 8k hrs and in the end I experienced nerfs on both classes: I "cried" for the soft removal of the hammer burst which was my first official to go build on guardian but that didn't stop me from using other different builds ...and that's the fact...
nerfs on guardian are always class tailored, so when you lose something ..you always gain something else
and that's the opposite of ele where when you get nerfed...that's it..there is nothing to cushion the fall, you lose that gameplay option forever...jump on the next viable build waiting for it to be nerfed out of existence also.

So no...I don't need nerfs on guardian and I know exactly what you mean by B-C tier talk but that cannot stop me from telling the truth of the matter : "the professions mained by the devs tend to have an easier life in this game" and I have given a clear logical explanation on why that happens.

If you are a dev and play that class, you know what it makes it rumbles...you know what it needs and in what quantities, so the nerfs are not as destructive as with elementalist : they merely nerf the class based on what is being cried on in the forum
without bothering to see if the class is still working after the change
; they increased the CD on Twist of Fate as people were crying....now the class has a full set of 60s+ CD stunbreaks......they nerfed
fire weaver saying too much burning dmg
while on guardian I can burn snipe people with Spear of Justice or torch or the sword spirit.

The problem with this game and why I don't even bother with it anymore is that
the devs themselves don't play their own game and they "balance" based on forum cries
so what is not being actively used by few devs...get hacked to death with nerfs making the class virtually unusable...but all is fine as long as Timmy stop crying about it on the forum...that's what I mean with my posts

CMC is balancing PvP and he plays the game so you are objectively wrong. You also have 25 second stunbreak that blinds inflicts vulnerability and gives you 25% movement speed out of combat. You have 30s stunbreak that increase damage on your 5 next attacks and they apply conditions, so don't say ele has just 60s + cd stunbreaks. Also CMC is a warrior main why is sidenode warrior not being played all the time by your logic that devs make their clases op? No true warrior main loves playing healbreaker support warrior that is best support in the game right now so don't give me that.

@McPero.3287 said:

@Arheundel.6451 said:The devs don't use codes to give themselves items in game, that weapon and armor require a huge time sink to get...it's safe to assume that he's a guardian main..., as it has been admitted in the past by the devs, the more people play a certain class in the office...the more input it will receives during balance meetings AKA

It's no secret that

Necromancer
and by a small margin
Engineer

I spent close to 1k hrs on guardian, being it my 3rd main, even went as far as to craft a 3rd legendary armor for it, also I main ele on which I have 8k hrs and in the end I experienced nerfs on both classes: I "cried" for the soft removal of the hammer burst which was my first official to go build on guardian but that didn't stop me from using other different builds ...and that's the fact...
nerfs on guardian are always class tailored, so when you lose something ..you always gain something else
and that's the opposite of ele where when you get nerfed...that's it..there is nothing to cushion the fall, you lose that gameplay option forever...jump on the next viable build waiting for it to be nerfed out of existence also.

If you are a dev and play that class, you know what it makes it rumbles...you know what it needs and in what quantities, so the nerfs are not as destructive as with elementalist : they merely nerf the class based on what is being cried on in the forum
without bothering to see if the class is still working after the change
; they increased the CD on Twist of Fate as people were crying....now the class has a full set of 60s+ CD stunbreaks......they nerfed
fire weaver saying too much burning dmg
while on guardian I can burn snipe people with Spear of Justice or torch or the sword spirit.

The problem with this game and why I don't even bother with it anymore is that
the devs themselves don't play their own game and they "balance" based on forum cries
so what is not being actively used by few devs...get hacked to death with nerfs making the class virtually unusable...but all is fine as long as Timmy stop crying about it on the forum...that's what I mean with my posts

CMC is balancing PvP and he plays the game so you are objectively wrong. You also have 25 second stunbreak that blinds inflicts vulnerability and gives you 25% movement speed out of combat. You have 30s stunbreak that increase damage on your 5 next attacks and they apply conditions, so don't say ele has just 60s + cd stunbreaks. Also CMC is a warrior main why is sidenode warrior not being played all the time by your logic that devs make their clases op? No true warrior main loves playing healbreaker support warrior that is best support in the game right now so don't give me that.

His balancing is just like his gameplay mechanical skills, I wont say if its good or bad, if you know, you know. The thing that he played ele makes it even more hillarious after seeing 'updates' on this class.

@McPero.3287 said:

Oh dear...

In PoF release game wasn't fun yes because of insane power creep but right now Warrior (damage one), Holo, Necro, Mirage, Thief (apart from Deadeye) are all fairly balanced and fun to play against. The most toxic rev build is shiro builds not condi, condi rev actually dies now and plays damage traits in corruption instead of full resistance spam, but I guess here comes low elo mentality that anything that is condi is not skillful even though it has more counter play than power builds. You know rev is overtuned when bad players do well on it which seems to be the case at the moment. Saying balancing has been bad is also just wrong game has been getting progressively better after PoF launch disaster and CMC has more braincells than to listen to unreasonable mains crying on forums why their class is weak and how other class is OP.

Power warrior is fun to play against for all the wrong reasons and unfun to play for the same reasons. Power Warrior has been gimped so hard of course their fun to fight in a way, u get cc'd who cares u took 0 damage even though u made a mistake and didn't avoid a easy tell and predictable skill and u have forever to stunbreak before the second hit of 100 blades goes off OR u simply avoid the warrior's eviscerate and warrior becomes a easy target. Ever since the feb patch warrior has become a melee class that is of little threat in most situations and a bubble bot in wvw. Fun....