Impossible for new players! RAIDS!

dani.5680

@Ayrilana.1396 said:We'll likely never know the answer to this but how many players regularly do strike missions who do not do raids?

Although that question is impossible to answer, there are others that we can answer with a certain degree of confidence. Shiverpeak Pass has higher completion rates than the Kodan on gw2efficiency, yet you will be hard pressed to find any group doing Shiverpeak Pass exclusively, and the public version doesn't have people either, at least when I tried it yesterday. This can tell us for example that the excess people that finished Shiverpeak Pass aren't running that Strike Mission anymore.

We can use a similar train of thought to figure out the drop off points in Strike Missions between their varied difficulties. Checking how many groups do all of them, some of them, and which ones, and then comparing them with their completion data. We don't have the data, Arenanet does, but we can speculate with what we do have. Now to move from the harder Strike Missions to Raids is much more tricky and will take a generous amount of speculation and assumptions to reach any kind of conclusion.

But, with Strike Missions we can see the effect of lower difficulties on both general completion rates AND how many run the content repeatedly.

That still is very unreliable method. Not only it is based on anecdotal data (no one in reality is going to sit refreshing lfg 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to see what is really happening), but it also completely ignores statics. And we lack the data to say how LFG compares to statics in participation.

Although i agree - there aren't likely many players that run shiverpeaks only. Although there are probably other reasons for that, than just the difficulty.

@"Astralporing.1957" said:That still is very unreliable method. Not only it is based on anecdotal data (no one in reality is going to sit refreshing lfg 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to see what is really happening), but it also completely ignores statics. And we lack the data to say how LFG compares to statics in participation.

Although i agree - there aren't likely many players that run shiverpeaks only. Although there are probably other reasons for that, than just the difficulty.

Shiverpeak Pass is just an example, the other easy Strike Missions are in the same situation. I don't think there is any reason to form a static just to run Shiverpeak Pass or only the lower tier Strike Missions. You don't really need to check LFG all day, just enough through prime time and remember you it's a comparison, if every time I open LFG I see groups forming for "all strike mission" runs and none for just single Strike Missions (other than some achievement runs), I don't really need to check 24/7.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@"Astralporing.1957" said:That still is very unreliable method. Not only it is based on anecdotal data (no one in reality is going to sit refreshing lfg 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to see what is really happening), but it also completely ignores statics. And we lack the data to say how LFG compares to statics in participation.

Shiverpeak Pass is just an example, the other easy Strike Missions are in the same situation. I don't think there is any reason to form a static just to run Shiverpeak Pass or only the lower tier Strike Missions. You don't really need to check LFG all day, just enough through prime time and remember you it's a comparison, if every time I open LFG I see groups forming for "all strike mission" runs and none for just single Strike Missions (other than some achievement runs), I don't really need to check 24/7.

You're missing a small detail though. Maybe squads who ask for only one get filled way faster, so they don't appear for the same time as others.

@yann.1946 said:You're missing a small detail though. Maybe squads who ask for only one get filled way faster, so they don't appear for the same time as others.That was the case during dungeons era, where people complained about speedrun/elitist LFGs dominating the content, not realizing that casual LFGs just tended to disappear very fastm and were really easy to overlook.

Not saying this is definitely the case here, but that's still a good example why anecdotal evidence is not worth all that much.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@yann.1946 said:You're missing a small detail though. Maybe squads who ask for only one get filled way faster, so they don't appear for the same time as others.That was the case during dungeons era, where people complained about speedrun/elitist LFGs dominating the content, not realizing that casual LFGs just tended to disappear very fastm and were really easy to overlook.

Not saying this is definitely the case here, but that's still a good example why anecdotal evidence is not worth all that much.

Yes, it's the same reason high requirement lfgs and raidsellers stay way longer and seem overrepresented

@Firebeard.1746 said:To give people an alternative to WvW for legendary armor/ring mats?That is the optional of the optional.Honestly no one needs to touch raids to cover every slot at this point. I can literally kill guards for hours on end roaming in WvW and the game will shove legendary crafting materials up my kitten. (sure I'll have to cap and/or kill another player every so often, but it's not that hard).Great.Why would you, if you love raiding,...I don't actually....be opposed to more people experiencing the same content you do, and progress at a slower pace? If you love the game mode, you should want more involvement, even if it's not at your level because then GASP anet has a reason to develop more of your difficult content of choice.Dev X: Holy! Have you seen the numbers for the new Infantile mode raids? Player engagement is 17 times greater than c. p. in the normal mode raids.Dev Y: Well, we expected that idea to be successful, but we certainly knocked it out the park with this one.Dev X: Say, if the vast majority of the playerbase is playing raids on the easiest setting, do we still need to make a hard version of a raid encounter? Barely anyone is playing them after all and it would save us a bit of work which we could dedicate to something else.Dev Y: Like World versus World?Dev X: What's that?Dev Y: Nevermind. But I think you're on to something. If we develop the raids with only the Infantile mode we can keep the largest amount of players engaged with relatively minimal investment on our end.Dev X: Wait a second, isn't that kind of like open world content?Dev Y: No no no no no. The raids are instanced group content.Dev X: That's it!And heck, these people are also not trying to take anything from you by suggesting your more difficult method be more rewarding (as it should be). Hardcore players already whine the raids aren't difficult enough. There's no reason for people to complain about difficulty if there's an alternate method of getting the same rewards.If it is just about the rewards, ask Arenanet to put them on the gemstore, that way they have a meaningful incentive to do it.And then you still get the CHALLENGING content you and the rest of the raid community claim you want (and you and anet don't have to worry about the haters if there's an easy mode and can go all-out).I am not part of the raid community.it's a win-win and legendary armor/ring isn't so special any more.If legendary gear is not supposed to be special then Arenanet needs to redesign it asap.Did you know the 2 versions of conflux are unique? You can leggie every slot not stepping into a raid ONCE (and honestly, I think that's great given the state of the content and community atm, it's great if it's with people you know/aren't judgy & in a static), I've never been able to make the second part of that happen, probably never will (the one guild I have that does training runs is completely open so kills are too hit or miss to be worth doing it all the time, even fi I could get my schedule to cooperate consistently)).You keep talking about legendary items, yet this topic is supposed to be about the problems that new players have with the game's raid content.Also, I don't know about FFXIV, but in WoW, you can just go back and solo all the bosses in old content (n-2 expac for weaker classes, n-1 expansion and beyond for ones with self-heals) if you want the old tier sets. If Anet doesn't fix raiding, I think they should add a mastery in EOD or IB that makes farming the bosses easier like this.There is nothing to fix, as the content is not broken. And even if the developers were capable of changing the mentality of the playerbase I would not suggest them to do it.It's old, mostly dead content, why not let players experience it/farm the cosmetics? WoW also changes the loot rules in this setting (usually to make it easier to get the transmogs, but in GW2 we have to consider breaking the economy), the same could be done in this scenario. maybe they wouldn't drop the 2g, the Exotic, anything that will break the economy, but relevant items for achievements etc still do. They can also disable special achievements that were intended for only high difficulty when the kill involved the mastery (just like AOTC in WoW).

Obviously they should have a way to disable this mastery so what few people are still raiding are still raiding & get the full rewards, but honestly the content, especially W1-W4 are so old, they deserve a deprecation path like this if we want GW2 comparable to other MMOs.Some people are playing GW2 because it is different from the other MMOs.I also believe the raiding community is getting weaker, not stronger right now, all I've seen is anecdotal but that's my impresson.Sure.

@Hypnowulf.7403 said:Do you see, then? You could either be having fun and leisure time—the purpose of a video game; Or you could be addicted to grinding, getting judged by other players, being a scapegoat when things don't work out, fretting over ArcDPS, and just generally not having a fun time. I think most just want to have fun.

That's why the raid audience will only continue to shrink.

I happen to like fretting over arcdps, making informed decisions about who's failing, and seeing how far I can push my class. Who are you to say I'm not having fun?

Toxicity only happens when non like minded players try to join each others groups. Stick to your own kind and there won't be a problem.

Starting the raids is far from impossible, I've started by exlusively joining the training/no req raids through lfg. Yes, those aren't always on, which can make it a bit annoying at times, but I didn't have a problem joining raids daily doing just that. If I was somehow pressed on time to get into raiding asap, then I'd join raiding/raid training guilds and keep going with scheduled groups. There are ways to get into raiding, but if you plan to depend on other players to organize your type of fun, then you might need to wait longer, because it's safe to say you're not the only one waiting for that.

@Shikaru.7618 said:

@"Hypnowulf.7403" said:Do you see, then? You could either be having fun and leisure time—the purpose of a video game; Or you could be addicted to grinding, getting judged by other players, being a scapegoat when things don't work out, fretting over ArcDPS, and just generally not having a fun time. I think most just want to have fun.

That's why the raid audience will only continue to shrink.

I happen to like fretting over arcdps, making informed decisions about who's failing, and seeing how far I can push my class. Who are you to say I'm not having fun?

Toxicity only happens when non like minded players try to join each others groups. Stick to your own kind and there won't be a problem.

Yup, a lot of the problems for people that "just don't want to try too hard" (...or something) come from those people not trying to organize groups for themselves or not joining the groups with similar point of view. If you want a chill, no req group of first timers then by all means: create the squad in lfg and wait for the people with similar goals to join you. For some reason there are people that seem to think the weight of organizing their time should be on other players or anet.

• Confused 1

Talkin about addiction when you spend half of your day writin a post on gw2forums..

I started raids 2 years ago with no exp at all, alone, now I have 1k li+ld and all cms/title on full pugs. This is what raiding is about imo, taking your time, progress through the learning curve, doing your best and then, enjoy.

Please, leave my dopamine system in peace, feel free to explore yours on the living story...

@Sobx.1758 said:If you want a chill, no req group of first timers then by all means: create the squad in lfg and wait for the people with similar goals to join you. For some reason there are people that seem to think the weight of organizing their time should be on other players or anet.Ah, but that's exactly because for most people that want chill groups, once they end up having to organize it such a group stops being chill. Thus, organizing a chill group with LFG becomes a contradiction.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:If you want a
chill, no req group of first timers
then by all means: create the squad in lfg and wait for the people with similar goals to join you. For some reason there are people that seem to think the weight of organizing their time should be on other players or anet.Ah, but that's exactly because for most people that want chill groups, once they end up having to organize it such a group
stops
being chill. Thus, organizing a chill group with LFG becomes a contradiction.

I fail to see how creating a group in lfg suddenly contradicts a "chill" playstyle preferences or no req raiding. From my point of view I'd say it's not a case of "contradicting" anything, but probably... laziness or even a bit of entitlement (YOU will organize my fun for me!).

• Confused 1

@Sobx.1758 said:

@Sobx.1758 said:If you want a
then by all means: create the squad in lfg and wait for the people with similar goals to join you. For some reason there are people that seem to think the weight of organizing their time should be on other players or anet.Ah, but that's exactly because for most people that want chill groups, once they end up having to organize it such a group
stops

I fail to see how creating a group in lfg suddenly contradicts a "chill" playstyle preferences or no req raiding.There's a major difference betweenjust posting a "chill" group in LFG, and posting a group in LFG and ensuring the run will be a success. First can be chill - but only until the first wipe. Second is rarely chill, unless you are already heavily experienced in raiding - which the people you talk about definitely aren't.

From my point of view I'd say it's not a case of "contradicting" anything, but probably... laziness or even a bit of entitlement (YOU will organize my fun for me!).From your point of view, maybe. It's
not
you having an issue here, though. What would be laziness if done by you, doesn't have to be the same when it happens to someone else.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

stops

I fail to see how creating a group in lfg suddenly contradicts a "chill" playstyle preferences or no req raiding.There's a major difference betweenjust posting a "chill" group in LFG, and posting a group in LFG and ensuring the run will be a success.
First can be chill - but only until the first wipe

?Have you ever been in a learning/chill/no req squad? Because I was (even later, without specifically looking for it) and that's a weird thing to say as a general rule. Most people joining these squads know there will be mistakes, because for most probably that's the reason they want to join them in the first place -to be able to make mistakes. I don't know where that "it's chill till first wipe" came from. Can it happen? Sure, you can't possibly know what the player joining your squad thinks. But is this even close to being some kind of general rule in those squads? Definitely not.

Second is rarely chill, unless you are already heavily experienced in raiding - which the people you talk about definitely aren't.

The main thing you need to do there is list general roles you need in your squad, which isn't remotely hard or troublesome. Then you need to absolutely know that a no req/chill raids won't have the success rate of a higher req/experienced squads, which seems pretty obvious to me. I don't see how someone wants to have a chill/no req raid while at the same time can't stand the idea of failing once. That's some backwards logic that to me would point at that person not exactly wanting "a chill raid", but a squad that will consistently carry him/her, no mater what his/her performance is. It's almost as if the whole point of having requirements is to prove your experience. If you want to remove the process of checking if someone's experienced, but then also have a squad full of random experienced people then.. uh.. good luck with that, I guess? Not much more to say here than stating the fact that it's just an unreasonable expectation.

But yeah, at this point I still fail to see how creating a group in lfg that matches your expectations suddenly contradicts a "chill" playstyle preferences or no req raiding. Answering to that with the player having expectations of instantly succeeding doesn't seem exactly related -and if it is, then for me it's pretty misguided.

From my point of view I'd say it's not a case of "contradicting" anything, but probably... laziness or even a bit of entitlement (YOU will organize my fun for me!).From your point of view, maybe. It's
not
you having an issue here, though.

Yes, it's not me having the issue here despite me being in that exact position, starting with raids LONG after many other players and succeeding strictly through lfg while having 0 li. Which is the point I'm trying to make here.Annoying to start? Sure.Impossible? Far from it.Can you improve your chances to get raiding squads more consistently through actually starting your squads? Yes. Sure, you don't have to if you don't want to, but then it's pretty weird to complain when someone else doesn't do it for you if all you want to do is be passive and succeed.

What would be laziness if done by you, doesn't have to be the same when it happens to someone else.

Maybe. Continue?

• Confused 1

@Astralporing.1957 said:

stops

I fail to see how creating a group in lfg suddenly contradicts a "chill" playstyle preferences or no req raiding.There's a major difference betweenjust posting a "chill" group in LFG, and posting a group in LFG and ensuring the run will be a success. First can be chill - but only until the first wipe. Second is rarely chill, unless you are already heavily experienced in raiding - which the people you talk about definitely aren't.

Isn't one of the points of a chill run that you don't mind wiping?

not
you having an issue here, though. What would be laziness if done by you, doesn't have to be the same when it happens to someone else.

@"yann.1946" said:Isn't one of the points of a chill run that you don't mind wiping?For some players, maybe. For others "chill" means not having to bother with all the organizational stuff, angry people etc. Someone wanting a chill run does not necessarily want to keep wiping, though. Wipes are usually chill mainly for people that have absolutely no problem with succeeding.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"yann.1946" said:Isn't one of the points of a chill run that you don't mind wiping?For some players, maybe. For others "chill" means not having to bother with all the organizational stuff, angry people etc. Someone wanting a chill run does not necessarily want to keep wiping, though. Wipes are usually chill mainly for people that have absolutely no problem with succeeding.

Isn't part of not wanting angry people, not getting angry yourself incase things don't go as you want.Otherwise this feels very hypocritical to me.

But i have to agree, not minding wiping is probably the biggest help incase you want to raid.

@yann.1946 said:

@yann.1946 said:Isn't one of the points of a chill run that you don't mind wiping?For some players, maybe. For others "chill" means not having to bother with all the organizational stuff, angry people etc. Someone wanting a chill run does not necessarily want to keep wiping, though. Wipes are usually chill mainly for people that have absolutely no problem with succeeding.

Isn't part of not wanting angry people, not getting angry yourself incase things don't go as you want.No. The main point is not "no angry people". It's the "not having to bother with". At the point you get angry that plan already failed.Otherwise this feels very hypocritical to me.Not really. See above.

But i have to agree, not minding wiping is probably the biggest help incase you want to raid.And that's why current raids will always appeal only to a small minority of players. Most players
do
mind wiping. Even most
raiders
do.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@yann.1946 said:Isn't one of the points of a chill run that you don't mind wiping?For some players, maybe. For others "chill" means not having to bother with all the organizational stuff, angry people etc. Someone wanting a chill run does not necessarily want to keep wiping, though. Wipes are usually chill mainly for people that have absolutely no problem with succeeding.

Isn't part of not wanting angry people, not getting angry yourself incase things don't go as you want.No. The main point is not "no angry people". It's the "not having to bother with". At the point you get angry that plan already failed.

And probably the only time they get angry is when they fail."chill raids" = "no angry people" (who obviously could get angry when the group fails, because why else would they?), but also "chill raids" = "only chill until the first time they fail".You seem to be contradicting yourself and your loose deifnition of "chill raiding groups".

Otherwise this feels very hypocritical to me.Not really. See above.

I agree with yann, wanting all of it at the same time makes no sense and is mostly contradictory. If you don't fail, you don't need to worry about anyone getting angry. If you want to succeed more, you need experienced people. If you want experience people, you need a way to check if they did what they claim they did, at which point you're just entering regular xx LI req groups.I'm seriously confused by your take on this here.

And btw you still left this super vague/open ended, which didn't really answer anything:

What would be laziness if done by you, doesn't have to be the same when it happens to someone else.

• Confused 1

@"Sobx.1758" said:You seem to be contradicting yourself and your loose deifnition of "chill raiding groups".Obviously, the moment someone gets angry (for any reason), the "chill" run stops being chill. See no contradiction here. I mean, how it can be a chill run if you're not chill anymore?

Unfortunately, the answer to "i don't want to get irritated/angry for any reason" is generally not "then don't get irritated/angry". I mean, sure, in theory that would work, but it completely misses the point.

I agree with yann, wanting all of it at the same time makes no sense and is mostly contradictory.Again, no contradiction here whatsoever.

If you don't fail, you don't need to worry about anyone getting angry.Yes.If you want to succeed more, you need experienced people.Yes.If you want experience people, you need a way to check if they did what they claim they did, at which point you're just entering regular xx LI req groups.Yes. Exactly. By that point, if you need to actually organize all that, you no longer have a chill run.

I'm seriously confused by your take on this here.Yes. I have noticed. Can't help that though. I mean, it should not be that hard to understand.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:You seem to be contradicting yourself and your loose deifnition of "chill raiding groups".Obviously, the moment someone gets angry (for
any
reason), the "chill" run stops being chill. See no contradiction here. I mean, how it can be a chill run if you're not chill anymore?

Unfortunately, the answer to "i don't want to get irritated/angry for any reason" is generally not "then don't get irritated/angry". I mean, sure, in theory that would work, but it completely misses the point.

I agree with yann, wanting all of it at the same time makes no sense and is mostly contradictory.Again, no contradiction here whatsoever.

The whole contradiction is in the fact that you claim people join "chill squads" and then rage/get angry after one failure. That's contradicting the point of chill squads. What's not to understand here?

What do you think "chill raiding" is? Disorganized/chaotic run that instantly succeeds? That's not what it is. What you said about people ending "chill raids after one fail" is the contradiction and what it contradicts is the very point of those squads.

Yes. Exactly. By that point, if you need to actually organize all that, you no longer have a chill run.

?? :lol:Have you even joined any squads like this? Like... ever? Because it seems you don't understand the concept.

I mean, it should not be that hard to understand.

Yeah, seriously.

• Confused 1

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@"Sobx.1758" said:You seem to be contradicting yourself and your loose deifnition of "chill raiding groups".Obviously, the moment someone gets angry (for
any
reason), the "chill" run stops being chill. See no contradiction here. I mean, how it can be a chill run if you're not chill anymore?

If you don't fail, you don't need to worry about anyone getting angry.Yes.If you want to succeed more, you need experienced people.Yes.If you want experience people, you need a way to check if they did what they claim they did, at which point you're just entering regular xx LI req groups.Yes. Exactly. By that point, if you need to actually organize all that, you no longer have a chill run.

I'm seriously confused by your take on this here.Yes. I have noticed. Can't help that though. I mean, it should not be that hard to understand.

So by your definition chill squads can not be nor will ever be in the game.

Since someone have to organize it ( stops being chill) for it to succeed first try, in order for people to not rage quit.

@"Linken.6345" said:So by your definition chill squads can not be nor will ever be in the game.

Since someone have to organize it ( stops being chill) for it to succeed first try, in order for people to not rage quit.Not quite. Obviously, people are different, and not everyone will consider having to organize to be an aggravating nuisance. It was mainly a point showing that if someone considers organizing to not be chill (and there's a lot of players that do), telling them to "just organize a chill run of your own" is not helping any. Because, yes, it is impossible for such people to organize a chill raid run.

@"Sobx.1758" said:The whole contradiction is in the fact that you claim people join "chill squads" and then rage/get angry after one failure. That's contradicting the point of chill squads. What's not to understand here?It's not. They rage quit the moment squad stops being chill. Is that really so hard to understand?

What do you think "chill raiding" is? Disorganized/chaotic run that instantly succeeds? That's not what it is.Ah, but that depends on the people. For some players "chill run" is exactly this - something where they don't need to engage their mind and just go on auto. Which in raids is generally achievable only if you are a skilled veteran, or are in a very good group that will do all the hard stuff (or, preferably, both).

What you said about people ending "chill raids after one fail" is the contradiction and what it contradicts is the very point of those squads.There are different types of chill squads. Obviously, the term will mean something completely different for veterans that can do the run in their sleep, than for the inexperienced and/or less skilled players that cannot do that.

As i said, it's easy to treat a wipe to be chill, if you don't care about succeeding because you know you can easily do this as soon as you get a bit more serious. But we started this discussion with talking about players that are not yet at this level. Those players do care about succeeding.

Yes. Exactly. By that point, if you need to actually organize all that, you no longer have a chill run.

?? :lol:Have you even joined any squads like this? Like... ever? Because it seems you don't understand the concept.Yes, i did. And i can tell you that every single time i had to organize a run, no matter how laid back it was to be, it definitely
wasn't
chill to me (even if it might have been for others).

Just in case you don't remember, the whole discussion started because someone (meaning: you) advised that if the first timers want a chill raid run, they should just organize it themselves. If there's any contradiction here at all, it lies in this very suggestion.

@Sobx.1758 said:If you want a chill, no req group of first timers then by all means: create the squad in lfg and wait for the people with similar goals to join you. For some reason there are people that seem to think the weight of organizing their time should be on other players or anet.

Or better yet, get help from your guild. Raids were always supposed to be guild activities anyway.

@"Astralporing.1957" said:Because, yes, it is impossible for such people to organize a chill raid run.

I'm curious, do "chill guilds" not organize anything?

@maddoctor.2738 said:

then by all means: create the squad in lfg and wait for the people with similar goals to join you. For some reason there are people that seem to think the weight of organizing their time should be on other players or anet.

Or better yet, get help from your guild. Raids were always supposed to be guild activities anyway."Getting help from your guild" would be a solution, sure, but is the
exact opposite
of what @Sobx.1758 suggested. That would be exactly the case of putting the weight of organizing this on other players (guild mates, in this case). Which generally is the only option of having a chill experience available for first timers.

@maddoctor.2738 said:I'm curious, do "chill guilds" not organize anything?Some do. There is usually at least one of two factors present (and sometimes two of them). Either the guild has some veteran raiders that organize everything so the
other
players can have chill experience, or nooone in the group really cares about succeeding and learning anything.

Learning completely from zero may be fun for some types of players, but even for them is hardly chill. Raids are a content of such difficulty, that it's hard to be laidback unless you are either completely fine with getting absolutely nowhere, or have a group that is well overqualified for the content already.

So, again, telling first-time would be raiders that they should "just organize a chill raid themselves" is not a good advice, and cannot rightly be considered as something offered in good faith.