Guild Wars 3 while keeping Guild Wars 2?

jokke.6239

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GW2 Remaster would be the best idea. While I love the aesthetic look of GW2 graphic and character model, I'd love for ANet to follow Pearl Abyss in how the Remaster for BDO is done in terms of graphic enhancement with DX12 in mind, giving more in depth look in character models and environments.I'd also like to see overhaul in the combat system geared towards real time targeting.I'm a returning player having played GW2 when it first came out 8 years ago and one of the things I love about GW2 is the ability to create beautiful character. I dare say that GW2 is the only western mmo that allows players to create beautiful characters and I'd love to have this preserved.

I never enjoyed Poe.. I loved arpgs but poe2 nahh..

GW3 wont be coming anytime soon.. I'm pretty sure anet doesn't have the man power or the money to build a new mmorpg.. plus mmo's aren't the cash cows they were in 2012.. plus the direction anet went in guildwars 2 wasn't good for its population.. so i'm pretty sure a GW3 would be dead in the water in 2021.

@Ashantara.8731 said:

@"Astyrah.4015" said:im all for a Guild Wars 3 -- one that doesn't invalidate any progress done in Guild Wars 2 -- all while having a new engine (with updated assets), new campaign ("full game" length and not "expansion"/"dlc" length), new game modes (or revamped WvW), new races and new professions

That was the hope we GW1 players had when GW2 was announced. Tough luck, we got a completely different game instead.

So, do I want a GW3? - Not as as long as the suggested and welcome changes can instead be implemented into GW2.

And look what we got compared to GW1...... so that would mean Gw3 would be on mobiles, we already have a lot of their game mechanics added.

@Stormcrow.7513 said:I honestly find myself gravitating towards other games. GW2 is REALLY showing it's age. Between terrible textures, poor performance, an obsolete API, I just struggle to keep playing a game I love. I can't even play the game vanilla because the graphics are just antiquated. Thank goodness the art style pushes through the technical aspects.

Anet needs to get GW3 going asap or switch to a new IP.

Low texture and bad engine is the worst for this game

@"jokke.6239" said:So .. Path of Exile is getting a "sequel" .. It's not your traditional sequel though. They are overhauling the engine, creating a new big campaign, updated graphics/character models, changes to skill system etc WHILE keeping Path of Exile 1 (with graphical updates as well) with both games having shared endgame.What are the benefits of this?

When the "new" game is released the game will already have years of endgame content that a new game would take years to catch up to.All your progress from the previous game is saved.They can still market the game as Path of Exile 2 and grab the attention from news outlets and the gaming community

And I thought .. Wouldn't Guild Wars 2 be a perfect fit for this model?It might be pointless for other MMO's where all previous content/maps is irrelevant when you get to powerful, but that's not an issue for GW2.

So if it would be possible to completely overhaul the Guild Wars 2 engine I think it would probably be worth the effort/cost to do it and then ..

Create a new big open world (Core Tyria size) and story with 1-80 content with modern graphics.Update or completely recreate the character modelsIf possible update the graphics of older zones

• Whatever Arena Net would want for a sequel

This might not be likely or even possible.I don't know much about game development, but I personally think this is a great way that Path of Exile is creating a sequel that I wish more games would adapt to, so why not try and suggest it for my favorite game? hehe ..Would you prefer a traditional sequel?Thanks for reading ..

The MMO genre is dead through exhaustion. When GW3 comes out (if they even call it that), it will be a p2w cellphone game.

@jokke.6239 said:

@"BlackLotus.8349" said:You know PoE2 isn't a new concept, but actually inspired by GW1, since only EotN was a true expansion in the sense we're all familiar with; Prophecies, Factions, and Nightfall are all complete games in their own right that can be played either separately or in combination with one another, which is what PoE2 is doing.

I do want to see a Guild Wars 3. Frankly I'm sick of this current era of games that want to remain relevant for decades, such as WoW. While expansions have always been nice, getting new games in a franchise has always been nice because each new game is built around new systems and you don't have to patch things in round about ways due to old coding or old designs. It gives developers a chance to go "Okay, what do we think worked really well in GW2 and what would we like to see done differently in hindsight?"

It's similar, but not the exact same concept.I haven't played Guild Wars 1, so maybe i'm wrong, but I don't think those "expansions" are anywhere near the same scale as Path of Exile 2.Yes, it seems like PoE 2 is a "campaign" bundled with graphics engine update. Which means that to be compatible with original PoE they had to convert all the old game areas to the new, upgraded engine. For this to work either actual upgrades had to be minimal, or they had to do some really massive work (one that Anet seems to not have resources for currently). So, basically, the same which would apply to GW2 engine upgrade. If Anet was capable of doing an engine upgrade on that scale, they would have done it ages ago - or they can do it in an expansion. No need to scare the players with mentions of GW3. And yes, mentioning GW3
would
scare a lot of players - remember, unlike PoE players, many Guild Wars veterans still have misgivings about GW1->GW2 switch.

Path of Exile 2 feels like a regular sequel in scale, and it takes the game into a modern state. If you removed PoE 1 from the game and redesigned the UI, no one would suggest it wasn't a new game worthy of being a sequel.And then just the fact that it's marketed as Path of Exile 2 already makes it an entirely different concept.That's just a marketing. GW1 Factions and Nightfall could have been as easily marketed as GW2 and GW3. That would not have changed anything about what they really were.

And sequels (even if not in a traditional way) brings much more attention than an expansion would.Sequels may bring more attention from outside your playerbase, but for MMO games they often leave the playerbase uncertain - you have to take a lot of pain to persuade your current players that the "new game" is not really a new game, but just an expansion improving what they already like. This however downplays your "new game" marketing.Basically, the situation PoE 2 is in - the marketing seems to be about a new game, but in reality it is aimed mostly at current players, not new ones. You can see it in trailer and announcements - they are
not
worded in a way that is aimed at someone new. They are done in a way that assumes you already know what the game is about, and concentrate mostly on how it's going to change compared to the predecessor. So, in reality, it's a typical
expansion
marketing.

@"Vancho.8750" said:OR OR OR you know what World of Warcraft does and update the engine properly when they do an exansion, WoW is basically WoW 3 at this point .

When you're king of the proverbial hill with annual subscriptions for years, yeah you kinda have the resources to do that kind of thing. I really wish people would stop comparing GW2 to WoW. It's just being lazy and ignorant (meaning "uninformed") The two games don't have the same business model.

• 3 months later...

@Lucio.4190 said:I believe in complete upgrade of gw2, making it possible to add new advanced features.I would also love a new portal in Lions Arch, leading to GW1 with Factions, EotN and Nightfall if you have them.Thats about as logical as World of Warcraft having a portal to Warcraft 3. A game isnt a buffé, you cant mix and match because they are built differently.

What you describe is an entirerly new GW1 version remade within the GW2 engine which is admirable and completely unfeasable when Anet are incapable of fixing a single static object on one map thats been broken for ~5 years.

Hahaha wait what am I even saying? We are far more likely to see GW1 remastered before Anet fix something in WvW.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Lucio.4190 said:I believe in complete upgrade of gw2, making it possible to add new advanced features.I would also love a new portal in Lions Arch, leading to GW1 with Factions, EotN and Nightfall if you have them.Thats about as logical as World of Warcraft having a portal to Warcraft 3. A game isnt a buffé, you cant mix and match because they are built differently.

What you describe is an entirerly new GW1 version remade within the GW2 engine which is admirable and completely unfeasable when Anet are incapable of fixing a single static object on one map thats been broken for ~5 years.

Hahaha wait what am I even saying? We are far more likely to see GW1 remastered before Anet fix something in WvW.

And your point is..? ?Rebuilding GW2 with an upgraded engine, then making GW1 compatible with it and making it possible to use the same character jumping between the worlds. I realize that would require lots of work and resources and.. if ArenaNet has more money than they could spend and lots of people with no projects... I guess that will never happen, but it would be awsome in my imagination.

@Lucio.4190 said:

And your point is..? ?Rebuilding GW2 with an upgraded engine, then making GW1 compatible with it and making it possible to use the same character jumping between the worlds. I realize that would require lots of work and resources and.. if ArenaNet has more money than they could spend and lots of people with no projects... I guess that will never happen, but it would be awsome in my imagination.

I can't even imagine a game that allows GW2 and GW1 to be "compatible" with each other. They are vastly different games

Mhhm 2 years ago i would have been all in for GW3. But those days.... I left EQ2 after 10 years and struggled to get invested into an mmo again take me some time till i landed here. I love GW2, sure it has it's downfalls and flaws, i got over 5k hours on the clock but i don't feel there will be any sequel or other MMO where i will get into. I'm overall someone who is more of an all in personality. But i think i'm at a point where i wouldn't dive deep into GW3, heck i don't want to leave GW2. For me it feels like this is my thing and if they turn it down i will never get into in an other mmo again.

@"jokke.6239" said:So .. Path of Exile is getting a "sequel" .. It's not your traditional sequel though. They are overhauling the engine, creating a new big campaign, updated graphics/character models, changes to skill system etc WHILE keeping Path of Exile 1 (with graphical updates as well) with both games having shared endgame.What are the benefits of this?

When the "new" game is released the game will already have years of endgame content that a new game would take years to catch up to.All your progress from the previous game is saved.They can still market the game as Path of Exile 2 and grab the attention from news outlets and the gaming community

And I thought .. Wouldn't Guild Wars 2 be a perfect fit for this model?It might be pointless for other MMO's where all previous content/maps is irrelevant when you get to powerful, but that's not an issue for GW2.

So if it would be possible to completely overhaul the Guild Wars 2 engine I think it would probably be worth the effort/cost to do it and then ..

Create a new big open world (Core Tyria size) and story with 1-80 content with modern graphics.Update or completely recreate the character modelsIf possible update the graphics of older zones

• Whatever Arena Net would want for a sequel

This might not be likely or even possible.I don't know much about game development, but I personally think this is a great way that Path of Exile is creating a sequel that I wish more games would adapt to, so why not try and suggest it for my favorite game? hehe ..Would you prefer a traditional sequel?Thanks for reading ..

Agree, if GW3 ever happens, they should recycle GW2 and use it as the base. So, more like GW2.5 instead of a completely new game.

Imagine starting GW3 with all the cool systems GW2 took years to get, like the wardrobe and mounts.

I know lets do GW3 then next year GW4 after that GW5 then of course GW6...... Don't you see where this is going some people are never happy with how this or any other games are. The games can always be bigger, and faster. I agree they can but when made it they chose to use equipment that was reliable and tested for the time. If GW game engine would of been enough then GW2 may not of existed, Anet is not the type to copy Final Fantasy and have 14 games to their name. If they figure out, and have the ability and want to upgrade it won't be a GW3 it will be GW2 that gets the upgrades

I wonder, what would a GW3 add that's not possible with GW2?We do have mounts, both in air, on the ground and under water.We can jump and run, if we need to climb it shouldn't be that hard to add?We do have an open world, which is new from GW1 and.. what's next generation?We have PvE, PvP and WvW. Is there something else, that's not possible in GW2?

Is there a game mode that's not possible to add without releasing a completely new game?