Idea for next elite spec: Shaman - [Merged]

mikexg.7329

New weapon would be mace (ideally both main and offhand). Weapon attacks would be CC and aoe based. I am thinking shockwave aesthetics. New skill type would be shouts, ideally with some condi removal. New class mechanic would give you an F1 F2 F3 similar to guardian with passive effects that can be activated. The skills gain would be based off the pet you select. Thematically, the spirit of the animal you select instead of the active pet. The beast mastery trait line could benefit the passive and active f 123 skills. Idea behind this is it plays into the spirits of animals. Hopefully providing a more bruiser and support play style which would be welcomed in wvw and other large scale play.

I agree with the idea of a bruiser spec for ranger, but I don't know if spirits and shamanism are the best thematic for that.

First, shamans are usually not associated with being tanky bruisers. Second, it is kinda filling the same gap thematically like druid for me.Soulbeast also already dipped into the "spirits of animals" thematic, since you are literally fusing with the spirit of your animal. The elite spec is even called "Seelenwandler" in German, which can get translated as "soul shifter".

My personal take for a bruiser spec for ranger would be called "stampede". The thematical idea is that instead of having a deep bond with just one single pet like soulbeast, the stampede befriends a big group of animals and becomes some sort of pack leader. Gameplay is fixed on the ranger ccing the enemy while 2 pets (the new mechanic) are mauling them.

Basing off both the ideas (one being a cc heavy, AoE, bruiser spec, the other being a double pet / focus on animals one), I’m not entirely sure if the two combined would be fully functional for what seems to be what a majority of people want: a WvW zerging build.

I think a “both pets at once” mechanic is very fitting and an obvious choice for an elite spec mechanic. We already had: base ranger focus on swapping pets, Druid has a decreased focus on pets, and Soulbeast focus on a single pet. Having both pets just seems to fit with the rest of that theme.

In WvW though, pets are more of a hinderance or waste in Zerg fights. They would typically die far too quickly to the mass AoE that occurs, and mess up some instances such as trying to mass stealth (pets are typically not effected by stealth). This would mean for a WvW build, we’d need something along the lines of our pet not being a downside. Soulbeast obviously solved this by simply “getting rid of” the pet. Their not a good Zerg build though because they don’t have large amounts of AoE (especially ranged AoE or mobile AoE) or group support (stances are very limited in duration). We have Worldly Impact, Maul, and Whirling Defense which are all great AoE abilities, but are all melee and 2 require you to stand still.

This wouldn’t be solved by having two pets unless they are made to take greatly reduced damage (or immunity), but would probably also be nerfed in damage since double pets would be the primary focus of that type of elite spec and would be far too powerful if they couldn’t be stopped reasonably. A good way to go about that though would be to create some form of un-interactable pet mechanic such as totems or spirits.

I do feel that both general ideas for elite are very fitting for a Ranger elite spec, but they would be separate ones (one for End of Dragons, the other for whatever next expansion / content format). Maybe as double pets being some huntsman or beast tamer themed pet, and then the other as some play style that focuses well in WvW, such as with group support, more mobile AoE, and/or CC.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Although Anet probably already has done with the ranger spec coming with End of Dragons i'd like to share this in case it can help in any way (to provide inspiration or new ideas).

Shaman

From the northern mountains and freezing steppes where only the icebrood flourish there are still some norn and kodan left in the badlands. Know only by myths and legends the shamans are forged within the cold of the deep North and the fire from their blood to keep the natural balance.Mighty foes the make use of the hammer to open it's way in the frozen tundra cracking the ice on their wake with their mighty blows. With deep understanding of the natural order they have achieve intimate knowledge of the Spirits of the Wild, being able to gather their blessings thru Totems or even becoming one with the Spirits themselves.

Hammer.

The shaman uses the hammer as weapon of choice, they use the weapon as their tool for daily activities, like opening paths in the frozen snow or cracking open a lake for fishing which strongly reflects in their combat style.
Hammer is a melee weapon with longer reach with strong emphasis in soft CC using chilling in their attacks. It is an slow weapon, power damage with CC skills. It is mechanically based on ranger's greatsword with the attacks inspired on the different spirits of the wild.

The Hammer of the Spirits

• Swing (3/4 s) / Swing(3/4 s) / Hammer bash (1s) . Basic attack this swing covers a 160º front of the ranger which reaches further (250 range) as the shaman tries to use the maximum momentum provided by using the pole extension being able to hit multiple foes (5) . Hammer bash will apply 2s chill.
  • Bear's Roar (1s)(10s). The shaman calls upon the might of the Bear and swings the hammer in a 180º while an animation of the Bear spirit roar. This half arc attack used also to clear blocked paths reaches 500 units as the roar from the spirit reaches up to 5 foes. The skill applies weakness on impact (4s) and cripple (6s) and does a moderate damage.
  • Lynx's Maul (1/2) (20s). The shaman requests the prowess of the Snow Lynx Spirit to perform an impossible leap. The Spirit guides the shaman in a long range leap (1200) while protecting the Shaman (protection 4s) and use the hammer to crack the ground under the hammer upon arrival. Used for cracking the frozen layer of the lakes this Leap will knockdown(2s) and apply chill(6s) up to 5 foes in the target area.
  • Raven's Flight (3/4)(25s) . The shaman will imbue the Raven Spirit in it's weapon being able to throw it forward. Used to open new paths in the deep snow the shaman throws the hammer forward (1200 ) piercing up to 5 foes doing moderate damage and Dazing (2s) and chilling(4s) them. If the target had any impairing movement condition the hammer will stun(2s) them instead.
  • Wolf's Howl ( channeling 5s )(30s) . The shaman call up the Wolf Spirit to use it powerful howl to protect the shaman. Placing the hammer on the grown the shaman reveres the Spirit while the Wolf Howls over the character. Used to deviate snow avalanches and rock slides this skill uses the mighty howl to reflect projectiles (radius 360) and empower allies. Up to 5 foes within the radius of the howl (600) will be chilled(6s) and slowed(6s) by the strong winds coming from the howl. The howl will break stun for up to 5 friendlies in the Howl area will be protected (protection 4s , regeneration 6s) by the Spirit once (they can be affected by the effect once per the duration of the channelling) This skill is an stun break.

Totems

Totems are the Shamman's link with the spirits of the wild and that link is reflected as a ghostly blue tether which connects the shaman and the totem. In exchange for being revered the Spirits will provide specific buffs to the shaman as long as the tether is not broken. Shamans uses the Totems to revere upon minor Spirits of the Wild looking for their help in life and combat as no spirit is a weak spirit in their eyes.

MechanicsA totem is an passive minion which can be targeted and destroyed which can be summon at range ( range 900) but does not move or perform any actions. When the Totem is planted it created a tether with the shaman which provides different effects while the tether is active (range 1200). The totem is unsummoned if the tether is broken with the shaman and the skill goes into CD.The totem also provides an active effect which destroys the totems while providing an additional more powerful effect at a cost of longer cooldown.

• Totems do have HP equal to the maximum Shaman HPs when summoned and are vulnerable to direct and condition attacks.
  • Totems are immune to any CC or status conditions.
  • Totems are immune to any kind of healing.
  • Totems can be summoned in a 900 radius from the shaman.
  • Totems create a tether with the shaman and share their buffs while the tether is active.
  • Totems are unsummoned when there is no active tethers.
  • Tethers have a range of 1200. Broken tethers can not be formed again.
  • Totems tethers will target Friendlies first and then pets.
  • Shaman can only have active one totem tether. Multiple totems can be cast but only one tether can be active at the same time.
  • Casting the Active Effect from the Totem will destroy the totem doubling the cool down time.

Totems

• Owl Totem ( 1/2 s cast 30s CD ).A medium height altar where the owl sits and looks.The Passive The totem will absorb 50% of power and Condition damage received by the shaman. Additionally the totem will grant pulsing heal to the shaman this healing will drain 1% of the totems total hp.The Active Will cleanse all conditions, moderate heal and apply invulnerability to power damage for short time (5s). Conditions and Control effects will still damage the shaman . The CD will be 60s.

• Hare (bunny) Totem ( 1/2 s cast 30s CD )Small altar where the bunny looks around.The Passive The totem will guarantee pulsing superspeed to the Shaman( every 5s x 5s superspeed ) which will drain 2% of the totem's total hp. Each time the shaman is affected by crippled, chilled, feared, immobilized it will consume the condition and will hop while evading(3/4s) and which effect application will drain 5% of the totem totals life.The Active The totem will grant the shaman the ability to evade all attacks for a short time (5s) while performing basic attacks. Those basic attacks will not trigger but instead a hop ( leap 600) with evade frames will be performed. This will stunbreak and if the shaman stun break using this active the duration of the effect will be doubled (10s) The CD will increase to 60s.

• Gorila Totem ( 1/2 s cast 30s CD )A low wide totem where the gorila spirit smashing the ground with his powerful fists.The Passive The totem will grant might(6s) and fury(3s) each time the Shaman hits(ICD 1s). Foes with might or Fury will receive increased damage (10%) , each application will drain 2% of the total totems life.The Active The totem will provide the shaman with 33% increased damage and 33% increased condition damage for 6 seconds. The CD will be 60s.

• Minotaur totem ( 1/2 s cast 30s CD )A tall totem with the Minotaur Spirit staring the shaman.The Passive Attacks will remove 1 stack of stability from foes hit by the shaman. The totem will break stun on shaman and the pet when any crowd controlcondition(Daze,Stun,Knockdown,Pull,Knockback,Launch,Float,Sink,Fear,Taunt) Each time the totem breaks stun or remove stability it will drain 10% of the totems max hp.The Active up to 5 foes around the Shaman (600) will be stunned for 3 seconds. The CD will be 60s.

• Otter totem ( 1/2 s cast 30s CD )An small stump with the spirit of the Otter looking curious aroundThe Passive The totem will consume damaging conditions (burning, bleeding, poison, confusion, torment..) to guarantee a critical hit in the next attack (1 condition / second). Each application will drain 5% of the total totems HP.The Active The totem will convert all conditions into boons. The CD will be 60s.

• Fire Totem ( 1/2 s cast 60s CD )This totem with the form of the sacred Koda's Flame allows the Shaman to connect with the Spirit of Fire.The Passive Attacks will apply splashing burning(1 stack 3 seconds) around the target (360 up to 2 additional foes ) this will drain 3% of the totems total life for each application. Additionally burning , chilled, immobilised, fear and slow incoming conditions on the shaman will be consumed healing the shaman and draining a 10% of the totems total life for application.The Active An explosion around the shaman(450) does high damage, knocking back foes and reviving up to 5 downed friendlies . The CD will be 120s.

Becoming the Spirit.

The Shamans not only revere lesser Spirits but also have commune with the Great Spirits of the wild gaining the ability to be imbued by their spirits becoming one with them. This allows the Shaman to have access to a new set of abilities while losing access to it's own.

MechanicsF5 allows the Shaman to transform in one of the 4 Great Spirits while losing access to all the shaman's own skillset. Utility Skills become the access to different the spirits of the wild while the Weapon skills change depending on the form taken.

• Utility skills are replaced by the 4 great spirits being Bear, Raven, Snow Leopard and Wolf.
  • Elite skill is reserved to return to normal.
  • Weapon skill change in relation to the form the shaman has at that moment.
  • Model is changed to reflect the Spirit the shaman is tuned, ideally the animal itself.
  • The shaman can only use each form once. Once is being used the form is disabled until the shaman returns to normal.
  • CD for the "Becoming the Spirit" (F5) is 60s.
  • The shaman still have access to the pet skills with the normal F1-F4 actions.
  • Becoming the spirit will also apply passive buff to for the tradeoff of loosing all skills.

Becoming the Spirit

• Bear. -25% damage and condition damage.

1. Paw Swipe - Basic melee attack (130)
    2. Rending Maul - High power attack it grant Attack of opportunity (25%) to the next attack. .
    3. Purge Conditions - Cleanse all conditions from self
    4. Enfeebling Roar - Apply vulnerability and weakness to foes around the shaman.
    5. Defy pain - become immune to damage for short time.
  • Raven. +33% movement speed. +20% crit chance

1. Slash. Slice your foe twice .
    2. Rending Talons. Sile 4 times your foe and apply bleeding.
    3. Swoop thru the mists. A leap (1200) while evading.
    4. Riding the Storm. The Shaman brings the storm with him, dazing and damaging foes in the area (5 pulses channelling 5s).
    5. Wind Blast. An attack which push away foes with the wind from it's wings. Hold down to increase the push distance.
  • Snow Leopard . +300 ferocity. Chilled, Crippled and Immobilised are cleansed once every 5s.

1. Slash . Slash your foe causing bleeding.
    2. Maul. Slash repeatedly causing bleeds and gaining might.
    3. Pounce (900) Leap to apply high damage and crippling the target.
    4. Dash. (2000) Dash at foes ignoring chilled and crippled. Hold down to increase the length of the dash.
    5. Prowl. Apply stealth 6s to the shaman. Will grant Attack of opportunity (25%) to the next attack. .
  • Wolf. Pulsing self healing,Pulsing reveal (5s ICD 1s revealed) around the shaman (600)

1. Bite. Bite your foe causing bleeding
    2. Leap. Leap ( 900 ) to your foe applying damage and cripple
    3. Takedown. Leap knocking down up to 3 foes (range 900 ) in the target area.
    4. Snarl. Cause fear (2s) to the shaman's target ( range 900)
    5. Howl. Howl giving boons to allies around the Shaman (fury, protection, regeneration) . It causes up to 5 foes around the Shaman(180 radius) to be knocked back (360) during the blow out.

Traits.

• Minors would guarantee access to hammer and totems; reduced duration (33%) of the effects of chilled and burning for the shaman and pet; Share the Totems passive effect with the pet (pets aren't tethered to the totem, they just share the shaman passives) and share the spirit form passives with the pet.

Hammer

• Trait for the hammer, reduce 33% CD in hammer skills. Hammer skills will do a 10% more damage.
  • Trait for when the shaman hit a foe affected by chilled the shaman will apply slow (1s no icd) .
  • Trait when applying chilled on foes friendlies are healed around the target ( no ICD / 360 radius from the foe ).

Totems

• One trait reduce the Actives Cooldown (33%) . Totems which haven't been activated before being destroyed/unsummoned have a penalization of 20% on the CD.
  • One trait will allow the totems to link up to 4 additional friendlies (5 tethered with the shaman). This trait will also limit the consumption from passives to half from the normal values as to allow the totem to stand a bit better. (owl will receive 25% of the 50% damage absorption, Hare will drain 2.5%, etc...).
  • One trait it will allow the shaman to be able to have 2 totem effects active at the same time.

Spirit form

• Spirit form will share their passive buff with up to 5 allies around the shaman(600).
  • Spirit form skills have reduced CD (20%) . Additionally the shaman and pet gain +20% damage while in spirit form.
  • Spirit forms gain an additional charge so the shaman may transform into an specific spirit twice for each form.

Trade offs:

• The totems can be destroyed by direct damage and can not be healed or moved in any way.
  • Spirit forms remove the access to weapon skills and utility skills.
  • Only one totem effect can be active at once on one friendly.
  • The range of the totems is limited, as such the tether can be broken due a knockback or fear.
  • The Spirit forms are very limited in it's use and uses with the idea of promote the swap between forms and going in and out of the spirit form.
  • Cds are generally big. Some can be mitigated using the traits (reduce CD on hammer, reduced passive drain, additional charge for the spirit form ) but then the shaman has to sacrifice other choices.
  • No access to stability but access to more stunbreaks.

I expected/would have liked totems to replace the Pet, as utility it feel a bit to close to nature spirits. That was a great start but, in the end it ended up feeling a bit to "norn" for me, I think the "becoming the spirit" ability step outside the boundaries of the professions and enter eat away at the domain of the norn racial abilities.

@"Dadnir.5038" said:I expected/would have liked totems to replace the Pet, as utility it feel a bit to close to nature spirits. That was a great start but, in the end it ended up feeling a bit to "norn" for me.

Thank you i appreciate your opinion. Yes that was the idea to give it a "norn" theme and feel. I considered removing the pets in the design to use the spirits as F1-F4 as passive buff but somehow i thought it would remove the main ranger mechanic in the process making the class lose it's "flavour" .

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Dadnir.5038" said:I expected/would have liked totems to replace the Pet, as utility it feel a bit to close to nature spirits. That was a great start but, in the end it ended up feeling a bit to "norn" for me.

Thank you i appreciate your opinion. Yes that was the idea to give it a "norn" theme and feel. I considered removing the pets in the design to use the spirits as F1-F4 as passive buff but somehow i thought it would remove the main ranger mechanic in the process making the class lose it's "flavour" .

Why not having the totem replace the pet? With F4 allowing you to resummon your totem (proc'ing the traits associated) and F2 using the active of the totem?

@Dadnir.5038 said:

@Dadnir.5038 said:I expected/would have liked totems to replace the Pet, as utility it feel a bit to close to nature spirits. That was a great start but, in the end it ended up feeling a bit to "norn" for me.

Why not having the totem replace the pet? With F4 allowing you to resummon your totem (proc'ing the traits associated) and F2 using the active of the totem?

That's a very valid point and i appreciate you sharing this here. Totems aren't the best mechanics as spirits has shown us, an static minion soaking in damage even with 19K hp will be broken most of the time.This totems are designed with that in mind, they are a big help because they won't or should not last long in the battlefield. So even if the shaman can get 5s-10s of use the effect is good enough to justify having the skill in the slot.

Replacing pets by the totems would mean the shaman would spend most of it's time with their main mechanic shut down, if the totems are not targetable then the main mechanic for the ranger is lost (the pet mechanic).

This design will keep the pet mechanic, making pets stronger (by sharing the totems or spirit form passive effects) and at the same time provides a new set of tools so it makes the shaman to work differently (more static ) while justifying that by the tools provided.

Approve weapon and role.

I would choose concecrations as a skill for more AoE.And as a class mechanic i would rather want something like a ventari tablet mechanic for the pet. So you can transform your pet into a totem you can use to cast spells. The totem type can be determined by choosing one. So the tradeoff would be to lose a second pet completely.

The downside of the totem would be that you would need to constantly give it positioning orders but ofc this can be mitigated by petswap into the pet.

@InsaneQR.7412 said:Approve weapon and role.

I would choose concecrations as a skill for more AoE.And as a class mechanic i would rather want something like a ventari tablet mechanic for the pet. So you can transform your pet into a totem you can use to cast spells. The totem type can be determined by choosing one. So the tradeoff would be to lose a second pet completely.

The downside of the totem would be that you would need to constantly give it positioning orders but ofc this can be mitigated by petswap into the pet.

That idea could work too, I personally don't like the micromanage of the totem that is the worst and most painful aspect of the tablet. If they make the totem to follow you like a pet in passive mode i think that could be an interesting design too so have it close until you send it away like the ventary tablet does.

The Totem could be chosen using F1-F4 while in Totem form.

And then what would the totem do? Would it replace your utility skill bar? How would you balance the access to 20 new different skills?

@anduriell.6280 said:

@InsaneQR.7412 said:Approve weapon and role.

That idea could work too, I personally don't like the micromanage of the totem that is the worst and most painful aspect of the tablet. If they make the totem to follow you like a pet in passive mode i think that could be an interesting design too so have it close until you send it away like the ventary tablet does.

The Totem could be chosen using F1-F4 while in Totem form.

And then what would the totem do? Would it replace your utility skill bar? How would you balance the access to 20 new different skills?

I think you misunderstood the mechanic.I want the totem to replace 1 pet.So you either have the passive positioning of the pet of your choice and the access to its skills or you have a totem you can position like the tablet and have access to totem skills on f1-f3. The totem itself can have a passive effect and an active effect depending on the archetype you choose for the totem.To swap between totem and pet you use the petswap.

They are independend from eachother like two different pets would be but it would emphasize on a more swap heavy playstyle. Maybe even with a reduced swap time or more buffs when swapping etc.

I think the placement of the totem should be reminiscent of scourge shades in tell and speed. Maybe even include a teleport.

The totem would be a casting tool so it can be used for CC, buffs, area damage or condi clear.

I’ve kinda been leaning toward a similar idea of totems being a new mechanic in place of pets, something between what exists with Scourge Shades and Ventari Tablet. Although in my view of it it would replace the pets instead of acting alongside them. Something such as you have two totems you can summon that are either:1) Invulnerable, but on a timer like Shades2) Indefinite, but have health pools such as we have with Ranger pets.

I guess the play style behind them would be again like Shades or Ventari where you have some moveable AoE presence that emanates from the totem (Damage, CC, Condi’s, Healing, Cleansing, etc...) which for my personal goal would be to allow Rangers to have presence and a role within WvW zergs. Maybe something in the supportive side that is not necessarily something that Druid already covers? Or maybe an AoE debuff/condi focused role, although I’m worried that it might overlap too heavily with Scourge.

The totems can be based off either the specific pet (brown bear, black bear, etc...) or the pet family (Bear, Avian, Canine, etc...). The groundwork for ideas for totem skills can be inspired by what we have with Soulbeast abilities where they have abilities specific to its family (Canine Leap and Bite, Bear Invuln and Bite, etc...) or on an Anet defined role (Power damage, Condi damage, Healing, etc...).

Just looking at the past ideas for Ranger elite mechanics, we have1) Ranger, two pets we swap between2) Druid, shift focus from pets to a new form (Celestial Avatar)3) Soulbeast, focus on one pet with merge and un-merge with.From what I can see, the two most obvious ideas left would be:1) Two pets at once, maybe slightly weaker but still a net gain, or can’t interact with the secondary pet, etc2) Have something based on a companion / pet that is not how it is currently (this example being summonable totems

Regardless, I think it’s a really interesting idea and exists in a space that may not necessarily already be filled by the currently existing roles.

• 2 months later...

So for new elite skill idea at 3 am but .. call it " Tree of Life" or ToL
idea is it is a 5 sec cast to 10 sec but in that time a seed pod drops at location...grows and spouts but instead of current seed graphic this one keeps going to a tree that shields from projectiles like fire brand doom.and for a final it drops all totems in this case or if under druid all our spirit's and they in turn get one attack round before vanishing ...put it on a 60 second cool down.. honestly as i have learned anything over a min is almost a waist in gw2... but maybe some thing like that for a new leet skill ?><>

We had Totems, they were called Spirits. They were nerfed to oblivion because people complained they could follow the ranger and also complained about the passive effects granted. If you make the totem easy to destroy or make the ranger easy to CC while using it (i.e. Druid) then it becomes meaningless, as CC is a huge problem in general.

I don't love the multi-pet idea as already have to have the one I have on passive as they are awful at pathing. Can't imagine trying to find two pets in any combat situation and then attempt to micromanage them; the AI isn't nearly good enough for that.

One new weapon is fine for me as I have huge doubts in the efficacy of any new e-spec.

• 2 weeks later...

Shaman would be my second choice (after the clearly best option which is the shapeshifter), but it's kind of a missed opportunity because I feel Nature Magic and spirits were supposed to be that already. NM and spirits require reworks.

I'm not sure what new utilities I'd give to the ranger. I honestly feel ranger requires several utility schools to be entirely reworked.

@mistsim.2748 said:Shaman would be my second choice (after the clearly best option which is the shapeshifter), but it's kind of a missed opportunity because I feel Nature Magic and spirits were supposed to be that already. NM and spirits require reworks.

I'm not sure what new utilities I'd give to the ranger. I honestly feel ranger requires several utility schools to be entirely reworked.

I think soulbeast is the closest ranger will ever get to a shapeshifter. It's really really close thematically already.