AFK Leeching in Dragon Response Missions and Drizzlewood Coast

Eloc Freidon.5692

There is an obvious problem when it comes to these instances. Anyone can hide in the map or afk, waiting for others to finish it and get free rewards. This has been a problem since Drizzlewood Coast.

There needs to be an update of some kind for these chests. Any chest should not let players who didn't participate loot it. It worked fine with World Boss chests.

Can I just say that I personally hate the restriction on World Boss boxes?Many of the world bosses are in low level areas and guess who doesn't get a piece of the pie, even if they are there from start to finish? Exactly, low level characters ...Don't know if it depends on the DMG or if it's solved that way in general, but participating in an event and not getting a reward at the end is the worst ~~.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:Can I just say that I personally hate the restriction on World Boss boxes?Many of the world bosses are in low level areas and guess who doesn't get a piece of the pie, even if they are there from start to finish? Exactly, low level characters ...Don't know if it depends on the DMG or if it's solved that way in general, but participating in an event and not getting a reward at the end is the worst ~~.

I run into that issue whenever I try to participate in a Ley Anomaly. As far as I noticed, it depends only on the damage. These bosses melt within the blink of an eye. If you are not a level 80 character with outmaxed DPS build, probably lagg a little, there is a high chance the boss is dead before you even land your first hit. In my case it is a non-dps build combined with reviving downed allies. Horrible combination. Every second I spend not-hitting the boss, reduces my chances for proper loot.

In ANet's defense, most of the bosses were not designed with an army of perfectly optimized DPS machines in mind. But that is what people recommend for open-world nowadays.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:There is an obvious problem when it comes to these instances. Anyone can hide in the map or afk, waiting for others to finish it and get free rewards. This has been a problem since Drizzlewood Coast.

There needs to be an update of some kind for these chests. Any chest should not let players who didn't participate loot it. It worked fine with World Boss chests.

Players who don't meet the minimum participation threshold established by Anet already do not get credit in DRMs for the chest nor for the achievements. While you may not like the level of participation that they provided, according to Anet it was adequate otherwise they would have gotten nothing. If one were to use the amount of effort as some sort of guideline then all of those players who come to events and just spam their auto attacks in terrible gear while not helping out with related activities to an event (e.g. shadow portals during SB fight) should not get credit either. Someone being AFK the entire time would not get any loot or credit whatsoever.

For Drizzlewood, if they earned the participation then they deserve to get all of the rewards for it while AFK as it decreases. Now players who are truly AFK while earning/maintaining participation is another issue. Those players with their necro minions, or with their #1 key taped down, should be dealt with if they truly are AFK.

They fixed DW. Before you could afk rev w buffs or necro minion master and get rewards for free. Since the speed up of south they don't have time to get enough participation to leech much free stuff. DRM's I stopped doing but b4 in public they def could and did hide and loot they chest at the end not helping at all. Unless they change that w the fix to only scale the fight to who is near the boss so even if one hiding it doesn't make you work harder

I think DW is still a problem - I hopped on a map that had just completed the north meta (wasn't my intention - that is just the map it tossed me on), and was able to loot some of the chests before things timed out. So if I was able to loot stuff without participating at all, it would seem like an AFK person (or someone not AFK, but doing other events on the map) could equally loot the rewards. Not sure if this same thing applies to the south meta.

@HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

@Fuchslein.8639 said:Can I just say that I personally hate the restriction on World Boss boxes?Many of the world bosses are in low level areas and guess who doesn't get a piece of the pie, even if they are there from start to finish? Exactly, low level characters ...Don't know if it depends on the DMG or if it's solved that way in general, but participating in an event and not getting a reward at the end is the worst ~~.

I run into that issue whenever I try to participate in a Ley Anomaly. As far as I noticed, it depends only on the damage. These bosses melt within the blink of an eye. If you are not a level 80 character with outmaxed DPS build, probably lagg a little, there is a high chance the boss is dead before you even land your first hit. In my case it is a non-dps build combined with reviving downed allies. Horrible combination. Every second I spend not-hitting the boss, reduces my chances for proper loot.

In ANet's defense, most of the bosses were not designed with an army of perfectly optimized DPS machines in mind. But that is what people recommend for open-world nowadays.

Not sure about the others but for Legendary Ley-Line Anomaly, not only damage. I can only get silver tier event reward when I do it with my DPS focused characters. And there was once I do it with my 100% boon duration Firebrand, equipped with a hammer which the third strike of AA chain drops a Symbol that damage foes and grant allies protection, and I traited it to also heal allies and inflict vulnerability on foes. Always receive gold tier reward doing literally only auto-attacks like brain-dead.

@kharmin.7683 said:Why is this a problem? Do these players prevent others from achieving the rewards?

The afkers occupy 'players slots' in the current instance. Instead of having more people to help, you have less people actually doing things while these people leech rewards. If the maps didn't have a player cap it would not matter, but since they do, leeching players do matter. Less people doing things will make the metas even longer to complete.

@leila.7962 said:

@kharmin.7683 said:Why is this a problem? Do these players prevent others from achieving the rewards?

The afkers occupy 'players slots' in the current instance. Instead of having more people to help, you have less people actually doing things while these people leech rewards. If the maps didn't have a player cap it would not matter, but since they do, leeching players do matter. Less people doing things will make the metas even longer to complete.

Everything scales though and AFK players don’t count towards that.

@leila.7962 said:

... except those player slots are ALSO occupied by people NOT doing the meta as well. You realize by inferring that people in meta maps not doing meta are a problem ... you are implying people should play the game how you want them to? Should I explain to you why THAT is a BIGGER problem than the people you think are AFK leeching and slowing down your meta?

@Obtena.7952 said:

... except those player slots are ALSO occupied by people NOT doing the meta as well. You realize by inferring that people in meta maps not doing meta are a problem ... you are implying people should play the game how you want them to? Should I explain to you why THAT is a BIGGER problem than the people you think are AFK leeching and slowing down your meta?

yep, the whole concept is flawed from the very start. which is why other mmos make special maps for this kind of activity.same with the bosses and dynamic events. give them their own maps, so players get a CHOICE

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

DRM mobs scale with the number of players in the event area. It used to be the map, but people can still afk and not participate and still scale up the mobs and champ just by being close.

@Eloc Freidon.5692 said:

DRM mobs scale with the number of players in the event area. It used to be the map, but people can still afk and not participate and still scale up the mobs and champ just by being close.

Not really based on where people tend to AFK.

@battledrone.8315 said:

yep, the whole concept is flawed from the very start. which is why other mmos make special maps for this kind of activity.same with the bosses and dynamic events. give them their own maps, so players get a CHOICE

Maybe, but that's how it works here and I don't think it's the significant issue to completing content people make it sound like. I also don't see it changing anytime because IIRC, Anet ALREADY changed the game to megeservers to ENABLE this map population approach to solve a BIGGER problem of not having ENOUGH people in a map to complete the meta at all.

So take your pick ... maybe slower meta completion with maps that have the population to do it ... or maybe people being stuck in multiple map instances that can't complete meta at all. There IS a trade off and while there are instances where population mixes are not optimal, the megaserver implementation is clearly better than it was for more people.

@Obtena.7952 said:... except those player slots are ALSO occupied by people NOT doing the meta as well. You realize by inferring that people in meta maps not doing meta are a problem ... you are implying people should play the game how you want them to? Should I explain to you why THAT is a BIGGER problem than the people you think are AFK leeching and slowing down your meta?

I don't know where you got to the understanding that I want people to play the game how I'd like them to play, that's on you. All I said is, having people afking in maps leeching rewards do slowdown the meta for people that are trying to do it. If you afk for a short time in WvW/PvP the server kicks you out, why not do the same thing in the open world? It's the same idea, people trying to accomplish things while there are people there just standing and not doing anything, occupying a player slot that could be actively playing. Of course there will be people minding their own business that won't mind the meta, it's more like a moral standard rather than a 'play it my way' thing, but I don't think anyone can explain to you how leeching off peoples effort is an issue.

@Obtena.7952 said:

Maybe, but that's how it works here and I don't think it's the significant issue to completing content people make it sound like. I also don't see it changing anytime because IIRC, Anet ALREADY changed the game to megeservers to ENABLE this map population approach to solve a BIGGER problem of not having ENOUGH people in a map to complete the meta at all.

So take your pick ...
maybe
slower meta completion with maps that have the population to do it ... or
maybe
people being stuck in multiple map instances that can't complete meta at all. There IS a trade off and while there are instances where population mixes are not optimal, the megaserver implementation is clearly better than it was for more people.

i have chosen to play another game instead. one where i dont have to do metas at all. and a sub fee means nothing for a game, that i can play (almost) 24/7

@battledrone.8315 said:

So take your pick ...
maybe
maybe
people being stuck in multiple map instances that can't complete meta at all. There IS a trade off and while there are instances where population mixes are not optimal, the megaserver implementation is clearly better than it was for more people.

i have chosen to play another game instead. one where i dont have to do metas at all. and a sub fee means nothing for a game, that i can play (almost) 24/7

What game is that were you dont have to repeat content at all?

@battledrone.8315 said:

So take your pick ...
maybe
maybe

OK ... I can also play a game with NO sub and not do meta content and 24/7 if I choose to ... it's called GW2. What's your point? What does that have to do with this thread? How does this have ANYTHING to do with the post you replied to?