What really makes WvW stale for you?

grave of hearts.7830

@"Moradorin.6217" said:In a nutshell the big balance patch, within a close(ish) time-frame to mounts being added, then the entire mode and balance being left in the wind ever since has made wvw stale. Very stale. Its hard stay interested.

for me all the "balance" made the game way less interesting. masses are harder to push, things die slower and only the big glass cannons still deal similar amounts of dmg. support isn't really able to defend itself against the cancerous spvp builds anymore.

mounts are big time useless anyways, also only help the way larger group to gank better in heavily outnumbered situations. even gives a free daze at demount....

we would need a real balance, and not try to balance over nerfing skills and traits to garbage, it only got way more stale than it has been.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@misterman.1530 said:

@grave of hearts.7830 said:Oh i should had added music too,when i am in an action mode i expect to hear some epic music.Yet all i hear is the same depressed soundtrack style jeremy soule had 10 years ago,cripes is it that hard to make an epic version of the gw2 theme and make it the combat theme or something else to help wake up the player?The remnant of a hero battle music was great,why we dont have that kind of stuff in wvw?

Interesting. The first thing I do in any game I play is to turn off the music entirely. Different strokes, I guess.

Me, too, but I used to play a game where listening to the environment could keep you from getting killed. Doesn't help much in GW2.

The majority of wvw content is provided by the players themselves, and when a team lacks players in a certain timezone, the map dies (becomes stale) by about 33% per team.In the early days, we had huge servers & teams before a server would reach the full status, and lots of servers had a zerg in every timezone, around the clock. Fun good old times. I suspect the servers allowable population was drastically reduced at some point, prolly to address all the angry kids complaining about map queues during primetime, at the cost of killing entire non-prime timezones.

All these points make kind of one larger point of our characters hardly existing in this game.

• WvW isn't open world pvp but when prime time is burned out this mode isn't self propelling enough to warrant staying logged in when the action is done. You can roam around if you want but what's the payoff of content to the amount of time you're looking for something to do?
  • There's no feeling of our characters belonging to our game mode maps and our characters don't live there, even the WvW specific gear is an insult (they still haven't given the light effect from our Mistforged chest piece it's own dye channel) compared to other modes.
  • But then we're also disconnected from the core game, living story, and expansions. We get almost no aesthetic, music, or story from the rest of the game, and the rest of the game gets no mention or news from our corner. So our characters really don't belong anywhere and we don't get to enjoy downtime exploration like we would in an open world mode or game. PvE should fulfill that need for us but WvW it's basically a separate game that's not complete.
  • We get a forgotten promise of Alliances, but even that might scrap any sense of community our servers have currently. It's not just guilds who make up a game community, I think the strength of my server if there ever was any has been in our pubs, floaters, and havok commanders. But none of that matters either once prime time is done.

@"kash.9213" said:All these points make kind of one larger point of our characters hardly existing in this game.

• WvW isn't open world pvp but when prime time is burned out this mode isn't self propelling enough to warrant staying logged in when the action is done. You can roam around if you want but what's the payoff of content to the amount of time you're looking for something to do?
  • There's no feeling of our characters belonging to our game mode maps and our characters don't live there, even the WvW specific gear is an insult (they still haven't given the light effect from our Mistforged chest piece it's own dye channel) compared to other modes.
  • But then we're also disconnected from the core game, living story, and expansions. We get almost no aesthetic, music, or story from the rest of the game, and the rest of the game gets no mention or news from our corner. So our characters really don't belong anywhere and we don't get to enjoy downtime exploration like we would in an open world mode or game. PvE should fulfill that need for us but WvW it's basically a separate game that's not complete.
  • We get a forgotten promise of Alliances, but even that might scrap any sense of community our servers have currently. It's not just guilds who make up a game community, I think the strength of my server if there ever was any has been in our pubs, floaters, and havok commanders. But none of that matters either once prime time is done.I agree with most of these things.

The issue is though that these things are just symptoms of the same stuff we always talk about. It is hard to get a sense of purpose, belonging or impact when the same things that have been imbalanced and broken since the start are still imbalanced and broken. It is hard to care about an objective when you know it is just going to get swiped by coverage- and population imbalances and it is hard to care about overall matchup score when that is still subject to the same problems. It's the same in 2021 as when people felt it was pointless to spend gold on upgrading objectives in 2012.

This is why we, the community, have kept talking about scoring, nightcapping and population imbalance since 2012.

All of these things that Kash brings up are results of that. At the end of the day what WvW "is" is a competition on a ladder but the ladder has always been broken. It is a king-of-the-hill with a multitude of subcontent (roam, raid, havoc-cap, GvG, pickup, havoc-on-pickup, defense etc.) under that strategic layer. The king of the hill has just never been the king of the hill, nore the queens, knights or knaves. That was broken in 2012, that was broken in the 2013 tournament, in the 2014 tournament and in 2021. Scoring can fix that, objective fixes can fix that and Alliances can fix that.

Other issues have later appeared once those original issues have begun driving enough players who care about WvW (and playing with the mechanics that are surrounded by those issues) from the game. Those issues are still the portal and still govern behaviour though.

What divides and unites?

I've said this many times now. I want Alliances but I don't even think Alliances will serve much of its original purpose anymore. The only reason I still want Alliances now is that they are still a reason for people to build and rebuild community again. Today, some groups spend big piles of gold to form new communities. Other groups may perhaps even still give Anet gems to do that. However, most groups do not and as such communities die out and things get stale. That is the big problem now. It is now for the social-constructive side of the mode kind of the same as it was for the players who cared about score and the ladder or the players who cared about tending to an objective. It feels pointless and not worth the effort. These things also divide and split the playerbase apart more and more (rather than uniting and overlapping it). There have always been differences between PPT and PPK, between content at different scales (roamers, raiders, zergers etc.) or between players who primarily see themselves as PvP, PvE or PvX. However, the longer these issues have lingered, the larger the differences have become: The larger the divide and the more the isolation, frustration and dislike.

If things like scoring and nightcapping were adressed properly (which tech has existed for, for years) it would also start bridging the divide and turn the ship around in a positive direction (only then can we see if things are not too far gone to be worth saving, population wise). The tower someone feels like taking or defending would impact score and define the comming matchup for those who want to matchup and fight against someone else. These things are interconnected but since they are broken they pull apart rather than interact, perhaps your server doesn't want to go up, because up isn't really up, as scoring is broken and the king isn't the king, etc.

The exception and the rule - the example and the system

Instead we have things like a server in EU that has been given an exception in the population cap in order to accomodate players speaking that language from another region, continent and timezone. That is literally shooting oneself in the foot. Now, that issue in itself is not the big thing here. It is just a very obvious example of how incredibly daft the developer has been with things like this. I don't know how superlative I can get to underline that but: It is literally monkey level. Let's build a game mode and then just break it ourselves by both leaving the day 1 systemic flaws unaddressed AND putting all those core rules out of play, then just stand by and watch the dumpster fire ensue. The real issue isn't of course that exception but rather that all the other servers are locked and that we have systems with those kind of locks. They should in fact never have existed since Megaservers were always intended and Servers themselves was originally an ad-hoc. It was a band-aid ripped from PvE in 2014 yet we still have it in 2021. The system itself is the problem but the example just shows an incredible disregard for their own system and the flaws in it. The example wouldn't be a problem if problems like locks, scoring and objectives were fixed, but those are not treated with any kind of priority, urgency or iteration (outnumbered and EotM's backend were leads into that, but how much iteration have they seen? and what impact do they have on the mode today?).

The Getting out of jail Card

Since all this is intertwined it also the answers the age-old question of why groups transfer: They transfer to get good matchups (finding the frienemies to fight in lieu of a GvG arena or matchup system that lets them find each other on maps), they transfer to avoid bad matchups (like an EU server with an NA [sA] population and scoring profile that becomes a disproportionate obstacle to good matchups on the ladder; a knave dressed a knight), they transfer to build community with players who want to be social and play WvW, they transfer to get away from players who are anti-social, who have filled the gap left by social groups leaving but are not interested in actually participating and have become anti-social because the developer has now developed an anti-social product: The single-player "MMO". WvW is one of the few things left that actually is an MMO in this MMO. The PvX'er who used to come into WvW was an MMO player, the PvE'r who do it today is often a 1up RPG player. There is little overlap there, beyond the stale divide that already exists. It is very hard to play multiplayer games with people who doesn't want to talk, doesn't want to listen, doesn't want to lead and doesn't want to follow. It is even harder if you get locked into a room with them that you have to pay your way out of. It's also miles from

That was the Anet that made GW2.

I guess it is more profitable to be a kidnapper than a game designer these days, at least until all the kids break out and run B) .

@subversiontwo.7501 said:

@kash.9213 said:All these points make kind of one larger point of our characters hardly existing in this game.
  • We get a forgotten promise of Alliances, but even that might scrap any sense of community our servers have currently. It's not just guilds who make up a game community, I think the strength of my server if there ever was any has been in our pubs, floaters, and havok commanders. But none of that matters either once prime time is done.I agree with most of these things.

The issue is though that these things are just symptoms of the same stuff we always talk about. It is hard to get a sense of purpose, belonging or impact when the same things that have been imbalanced and broken since the start are still imbalanced and broken. It is hard to care about an objective when you know it is just going to get swiped by coverage- and population imbalances and it is hard to care about overall matchup score when that is still subject to the same problems.

This is why we, the community, have kept talking about
scoring, nightcapping and population imbalance
since 2012.

All of these things are results of that.

Other issues have later appeared once those original issues have begun driving enough players who care about WvW (and playing with the mechanics that are surrounded by those issues) from the game.

I've said this many times now. I want Alliances but I don't even think Alliances will serve much of its original purpose anymore. The only reason I still want Alliances now is that they are still a reason for people to build and rebuild community again. Some groups to spend big piles of gold to form new communities. Other groups may perhaps even still give Anet gems to do that. However, most groups do not and as such communities die out and things get stale since it is now for the social-constructive side of the mode kind of the same as it was for the players who cared about score and the ladder or the players who cared about tending to an objective. It feels pointless and not worth the effort. These things also divide and split the playerbase apart more and more (rather than uniting and overlapping it). There has always been differences between PPT and PPK, between content at different scales (roamers, raiders, zergers etc.) or between players who primarily see themselves as PvP, PvE or PvX. However, the longer these issues have lingered, the larger the differences have become: The larger the divide and the more the isolation, frustration and dislike.

If things like scoring and nightcapping were adressed properly (which tech has existed for, for years) it would also start briding the divide and turn the ship around in a positive direction (if things are not too far gone to be worth saving, population wise). The tower someone feels like taking or defending would impact score and define the comming matchup for those who want to matchup and fight against someone else. These things are interconnected but since they are broken they pull apart rather than interact.

Instead we have things like a server in EU that has been given an exception in the population cap in order to accomodate players speaking that language from another region, continent and timezone. That is literally shooting oneself in the foot. Now, that issue in itself is not the big thing here. It is just a very obvious example of how incredibly daft the developer has been with things like this. I don't know how superlative I can get to underline that but: It is literally monkey level. Let's build a game mode and then just break it ourselves by both leaving the day 1 systemic flaws unaddressed AND putting all those core rules out of play, then just stand by and watch the dumpster fire ensue. The real issue isn't of course that exception but rather that all the other servers are locked and that we have systems with those kind of locks. They should in fact never have existed since Megaservers were always intended and Servers themselves was originally an ad-hoc. It was a band-aid ripped from PvE in 2014 yet we still have it in 2021. The system itself is the problem but the example just shows an incredible disregard for their own system and the flaws in it. The example wouldn't be a problem if problems like scoring and objectives were fixed, but those are not treated with any kind of priority, urgency or iteration.

Yeah i pretty much agree on this.basicaly everything still screams abandoned by development,something that shouldnt been a thing a year after the layoffs.I really wish the current anet team could see this from the veteran customer point of view,but i am afraid that them understanding is impossible.A developer who doesnt play his own product at regular intervals to see the changes in effect,might never understand a veteran customer who has spend hundreds of hours on the game mode.If we are going to see the same kind of neglect on GW3 WvW (assuming some specific country regime doesnt have another bioweapon gone rogue and we all end up dead) then theres no reason to buy GW3 for me,heck i dont really have a reason to buy the next expansion and the whole mystical chinese setting is scratching a lot of fresh wounds on me and others who lost family to the epidemic.

@"grave of hearts.7830" said:Yeah i pretty much agree on this.basicaly everything still screams abandoned by development,something that shouldnt been a thing a year after the layoffs.I really wish the current anet team could see this from the veteran customer point of view,but i am afraid that them understanding is impossible.A developer who doesnt play his own product at regular intervals to see the changes in effect,might never understand a veteran customer who has spend hundreds of hours on the game mode.If we are going to see the same kind of neglect on GW3 WvW (assuming some specific country regime doesnt have another bioweapon gone rogue and we all end up dead) then theres no reason to buy GW3 for me,heck i dont really have a reason to buy the next expansion and the whole mystical chinese setting is scratching a lot of fresh wounds on me and others who lost family to the epidemic.

Yeah, I mean, just to drive my point home a bit more:

Alot of people mentioned maps,

. It says something about gameplay, content and player content or content creation in general. What is said and what has transpired is also very interesting if anyone can muster up the patience to chug through it.

As far as GW3 goes. I don't think that there will ever be a GW3 (and if there ever came a GW3 it wouldn't be an MMO, it would be a 1up adventure, a Guild Witcher 3 but perhaps more like 2077). As far as EoD goes, nothing in the behaviour of the developer suggests that we should expect anything different than from PoF, so I don't. If something more comes I'll be pleasantly surprised but I'm keeping my expectations low or have none (and per the meme, I will still probably be disappointed :3 ). I also wouldn't be surprised if we were to have a third, fourth or fifth round of "we are sorry we couldn't fit PvP into the EoD crunch, but we are determined to build something for you as our next priority" (we will talk more about it in the comming months), [look at this guy we gave the task but not the resources who gets to weather your Alliances-when and only-PvPer-in-the-room goofing].

Its mostly how stale the game mode has become, which has alot to do with the maps and rewards. I think players still do okay, I like alot of the builds I come across, and combat is still fun and challenging. But I think the staleness factor of the environment itself makes everyone bitter, and because of that they feel overly negative towards everything else as well.

Ask yourself a question: If you were fighting the same players in Silverwastes or Drizzlewood, would it be more interesting? For alot of people the answer would be "yes", because they'd welcome the fresh air that a new environment would bring.

Why do you think so many wish for open-world PvP?

This is something that can mainly be solved by new maps, map rotations and skirmish rewards, but it'll likely never happen. Its been a decade now and they still haven't even remastered EBG with any of the new technologies, just adjusted the terrain a little bit. Not even a simple retexturing pass to make it have a higher resolution, better looking textures.

I was thinking recently about how wonderful an objective Pang is. Its the ideal combat spot--open, yet choked. Defensible, yet enemies can build siege weapons or set up camp just outside as well. It can either be the strongest beachhead ever, or a death trap, depending on how either side plays. And that's why you see players capturing it and fighting there so often, I think.

And I thought about how little we have anything like that in maps: Actual combat zones. Most objectives are terrible at combat, you can't even get into the forts without breaking down a wall or gate first, and usually its just mopping up some NPCs. On the other hand most camps are wide open, and not even worth defending because its like trying to stop a bus with a pillow.

The tl;dr of it is, for a war game, Guild Wars 2 has some pretty bland environments in WvW. I don't count Desert Borderlands because its way too spread out and vertical, nor Edge of the Mists because it doesn't reward pips.

Blobs.

No matter what specs come and go the core of a blob is always the same; barrier, boons and stacked healing turning everything annoyingly unkillable facetanks with a backline of DPS. The scaling on all of this has always been a problem and always will be until Anet considers WvW it's own entity and not just an offshoot of PvP and tunes for it alone. Most of this is already annoying in PvP but there are counters, in WvW when you have 50+ players everything wildly scales out of control.

The meta is stale and boring and not fun to play against or in.

So many things.

WvW is not being played as intended.We have servers actively tanking matches to avoid T1, then we have servers ignoring everything in the game mode except EBG/SMC actively tanking to stay in T4 to get "EpIc KdR" not making the connection Kdr is generally about numbers vs numbers lmao.I don't have a solution to this, and being that its gone on for pretty much ever, I doubt Anet does or even cares.Server transfers are bad, and being stuck on a bad server getting farmed is bad.Winning should be good, not punishing.

Rewards for completing Diamond multiple times... aren't rewarding.You'd think we would be rewarded for actually playing the game for extended periods? Not in WvW I guess.

Meta is a bit stale for sure and un-killable try hard blobs are so blase

Builds aren't super terrible but the cheese is beyond anything we've seen in the past.
Every class has too much, and skills are bloated (cough Dolyak Stance).

My list of obnoxious in no particular order:Ranger

• 2 spam deleting people from 2k range (why is this still a thing?)
  • boonbeast
  • infinite immobThief
  • deadeye in general
  • condi thief.. honestly...
  • unkillable bunker cheese
  • stealth (even with all the anti stealth jazz its still cancer)Revenant-Condi herald/renegade is beyond obnoxiousEngi-Support too stronk-some bunker builds condi and power are so dumbEle
  • insane damage when spec'ed with enough invulns to make warriors jelly
  • 1v1 attrition nonsense is obnoxiousMesmer
  • condi/clone spam
  • 1shot power invisNecro-Raid boss base necro (wtf)-roll face scourge-spin2win reaperGaurdian-1 shot core (not many of them but still nonsense)-DH's all the sudden became obnoxious, what the heck?Warrior-A guild name said it best "No aim no brain im a warrior [MAIN]" kek

I'm prepared for the hate because most of you play these builds (why wouldn't you) but lets be honest, there's a lot of builds that need adjusting.

All this being said, I think WvWs faults are just a result of Anet abandoning this game mode for far too long.

@Justine.6351 said:

@"Hesione.9412" said:When two servers decide to leave each other alone and do this:

And I cannot work out how to embed because the image isn't showing when I try to embed.

This is going to be my life all week (I'm red).

What's the problem exactly? Looks like all 3 servers lost objectives recently.

That is what red is going to look like all week. As well as being focussed for fights. As well, our skirmish scores tend to be a couple of hundred lower than those for green and blue. I'm on a paired server. We don't have coverage across many of the hours. We don't ever seem to be paired with a server that does.

With guild transfers between servers messing up the glicko, etc, I suggest that Anet simply use random numbers to pair servers.

@"Will.6470" said:So many things.

WvW is not being played as intended.We have servers actively tanking matches to avoid T1, then we have servers ignoring everything in the game mode except EBG/SMC actively tanking to stay in T4 to get "EpIc KdR" not making the connection Kdr is generally about numbers vs numbers lmao.I don't have a solution to this, and being that its gone on for pretty much ever, I doubt Anet does or even cares.Server transfers are bad, and being stuck on a bad server getting farmed is bad.Winning should be good, not punishing.

Rewards for completing Diamond multiple times... aren't rewarding.You'd think we would be rewarded for actually playing the game for extended periods? Not in WvW I guess.

Meta is a bit stale for sure and un-killable try hard blobs are so blase

Builds aren't super terrible but the cheese is beyond anything we've seen in the past.

Every class has too much, and skills are bloated (cough Dolyak Stance).

My list of obnoxious in no particular order:Ranger

• 2 spam deleting people from 2k range (why is this still a thing?)
  • boonbeast
  • infinite immobThief
  • deadeye in general
  • condi thief.. honestly...
  • unkillable bunker cheese
  • stealth (even with all the anti stealth jazz its still cancer)Revenant-Condi herald/renegade is beyond obnoxiousEngi-Support too stronk-some bunker builds condi and power are so dumbEle
  • insane damage when spec'ed with enough invulns to make warriors jelly
  • 1v1 attrition nonsense is obnoxiousMesmer
  • condi/clone spam
  • 1shot power invisNecro-Raid boss base necro (kitten)-roll face scourge-spin2win reaperGaurdian-1 shot core (not many of them but still nonsense)-DH's all the sudden became obnoxious, what the heck?Warrior-A guild name said it best "No aim no brain im a warrior [MAIN]" kek

I'm prepared for the hate because most of you play these builds (why wouldn't you) but lets be honest, there's a lot of builds that need adjusting.

All this being said, I think WvWs faults are just a result of Anet abandoning this game mode for far too long.

If a ranger uses the second skill from the longbow, any reflection skills or interruption ones can stop his firing. Should a soulbeast be full of boons, those who can convert them to conditions or are capable of stealing boons will smile. Supposing that a deadeye loves to stay in the dark and waits for an opportunity to unleash a high damage on his target, one must strike him down fast(as long as one can still see him) and be aware of his fatal shots(for instance, Death Judgement). Assuming that one meets a condi thief, one needs to take him down as quickly as possible while watching out condition damage(Bleeding, Poison, Torment, Confusion). Stealth is one of the main sources for defenses of the Thief Profession (on condition that one gets used to its mechanics and can predict where a foe is, it will not be an issue). Talk about condi herald/condi revenant - he barely uses an effort to do anything on his foe(a lazy, cheesy build , to be precise.Too easy to play). Providing that one meets such a profession like these, one needs to avoid the crucial abilities that inflict condition damage and slay him with strong, quick combos(don't let him have a chance to heal himself at all!).Elementalist(whether a core one, tempest or weaver); of course, he is deadly when he can use his skills precisely and continuously. Without barriers and invulnerability, he is fragile with no doubts. To freeze him completely, one must land every skills on him accurately and constantly as long as he has no such defensive capacities. Provided that a mesmer creates clones along with phantasm ones, one is to catch the real creator of theirs and beware of his burst damage from the clones and the phantasm ones(whether it is power damage or condition damage). Talk about necromancer - if it is a reaper, one had better escape from the second skill of the shroud's mechanics perfectly or block it. Then, one needs to kite around for ensuring the fading of the shroud's life force from him. After that, one will have a chance to slay him(once his shroud is on cooldown: 10 seconds). Provided that it is a scourge(with death magic, blood magic and minions around as additional defenses), one must be calm and take out his health as swiftly as possible(no rushing on him if he still has barriers). Talk about guardian(whether it is a core one, dragonhunter or firebrand) - there is something common in all of them; their burning damage. To survive from it, one mustn't touch any of their essential capabilities(rushing toward a target while bringing blindness to him, spinning around to chain an enemy, placing an area of blue circle[which causes the burning damage]) If it is a dragonhunter, one needs to evade his shots and favorite traps as well as one can. Next, one is to ignore his shields if they are up on him(the blue shields around him; if it is the dome, don't use any ranged attacks - melee ones are effective on him). Once they are gone, one has an opportunity to cut him down. Talk about warrior - if it is a berserker, one must be prepared for the burst skill and escape from it by evasiveness, interruption or blocking. Should it be a spellbreaker, one mustn't be interrupted by his counterattack or one will be chained. Furthermore, one is to be careful from crowd control potentials( bull's charge, shield bash, Juggernaught mode with its own skills, the abilities from the hammer and daze from the mace).I hope these details will help you in a way or two to deal with such opponents like these. Good hunting ,sir! :)

Its population,twas answered many times many years agothats why linking system was tested, then used as permasolution but the problem persistedthats why the alliance proposition was made but not implemented (its worse than relinking)

you remember the unthinkable happened?Blackgate opened, everybody was like oh my fooking gawd! at that timetwas like a covid pandemic or something on GW2 WvW scene

I changed mode since then from WvW to PvP, but was surprised on what I've foundit is the testing ground for the future of WvW, the solution is fcking simple, add botsyou translate PvP to like 3 persons + 2 bots vs 5 people in PvP, now in WvW all they need is to place 1000 bots to play with you then WvW is saved even if you are the only one left playing that mode (for PvErs who wants to unlock Warclaw or costumes or Achievement moguls)

PS: i hope Diku still fights for his World vs Globes idea lol (basically wants WvW to turn EoTM)