statue of meladru hero challenge in the straights of devastation (help solving it)

Gorkus.7496

How does one complete this hero challenge? Maybe I'm dumb, but I've scoured the wikis and forums and internet in general for literally days and can't find a clue as to how to get the poison bubble that surrounds the underwater commune point to subside. Even after I kill everything, I can't commune because I'm getting interrupted by the area's auto-poison semi-sphere / bubble. It's the only thing I have left on the map, and I can't do it no matter what I try. It also amazes me that this hasn't been raised by any other player over the years Guild Wars has been active. The fact that it looks like I'm the only one who ever inquired reinforces to me that I must be dumb. I read that the statue of meladru in Graven Cay requires the Pact to control the Cathedral of Verdance as well as the Cathedral of Silence to make its poison sphere subside, but that's on a different map and doesn't help with the one I am stuck on.

I read that the statue of meladru in Graven Cay requires the Pact to control the Cathedral of Verdance as well as the Cathedral of Silence to make its poison sphere subside, but that's on a different map and doesn't help with the one I am stuck on.I don't think that is true any longer, because different maps don't communicate with each other.

I don't ever remember having to avoid the poison in the manner @Gorkus.7496 describes and I've completed Straits in the last six months, too. So I think if the Temple of Balthazar is under Pact control, the statue should be clear of poison and the wiki simply hasn't been updated.

(In fact, trying to find information on the 'corruption' and where/when it takes place is kind of tricky. I'm not at all sure where to look, even for Malchor's Leap, where I'm more familiar with the mechanics of the map.)

tl;dr if you can, park the toon at the statue, and just swap back whenever you can and (I believe) eventually it will just work without an issue.

If I remember correctly when they introduced mega-servers, instead of each server having their own copy of each map, they changed the way control points and effects work in Orr.

It used to be that the Temple of Balthazar controlled all the Balthazar statues, the Temple of Melandru controlled all the Melandru statues and so on. Now it's the nearest Temple which controls them, so all the statues in Straits of Devestation will attack when the Temple of Balthazar is under enemy control and will be safe when it's under Pact control.

But spamming F (pushing it lots of times in quick succession) also works - there is just long enough between 'hits' for you to get the hero point, and it's easier to get the timing right by pushing the button a lot than by trying to push it at just the right moment.

Hi,

All statues that are 'active' in Straits of Devastation are disabled when the event to purify Balthazar's statue completes and the Pact has control of that area. The whole Orr thing is a bit misleading, as it was all based on a mechanic that is now gone. There are two 'purify' spots in Malchor's Leap that controls statues in that map; and two in Cursed Shore that controls the statues in that map. They do not cross-influence other statues in different maps.

The game just needs updated clarity. I'm as frustrated as you.

To clarify: statue 'deactivation' is dependant on the core event in the zone. Purifying Balth in Straits of Devatstion deactivates all statues in Straits, not just Balth's. Same for Dwayna and Lyssa in Malchor's; same for Melandru's and Grenth's in Cursed Shore. For ML and CS, purifying one of the areas disables half of the statues. Purifying both disables all the statues.

Statues remain disabled until an event failure that forces the Pact to flee the area of focus.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Just tried it out myself and did a few tests. What works:

• the area-effect pulse can be blocked
  • interaction-time depends on your attackspeed

You can speed up the interaction by 2-3 seconds, if you happen to have Quickness. As you can see in the link, most classes have an option to get this boon somehow for a short time. Just get it right before you interact. When I tested it without the boon, interaction took ~ 7 seconds, with quickness it is 4-5 seconds.

Regarding the blocking, Aegis works excellent. Did a few times with the Guardian and used Aegis on others. Arcane Shield should work as well. Stability sadly does not prevent the interruption :S.

The huge problem with these bubble-areas in Orr is, the 'attacks' strike randomly. Sometimes you are lucky and there is enough time to interact. Sometimes you get interrupted every 2 seconds.

• 2 months later...