Trapper Rune is still in the game?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:the best is when the dh leaves a full trap bomb on point then walks to the other side of them map and kills you when you try to cap said point. cuz skill boys.

Yep, totally the DH's fault that people are oblivious and waddle onto a point thinking it would be a 100% clear.

Too bad demanding nerfs doesn't make the remaining playerbase any smarter

what the hell. how is someone supposed to anticipate an invisible trap bomb? thats ridiculous. how about traps are made visible so some monkey spamming his entire utility bar on cd can't 1 shot people from the other side of the map in both pvp and wvw? is that too much to ask?

Gee, I don't know...maybe the same way they have since HoT when the spec was first introduced:

• Dodge roll onto point
  • Use an evade skill when going onto the point
  • If they're a ranger, send pet on point first

I've done some combination of the above and it's worked out just fine for me.If I forgot to do it and get killed I blame myself for not realizing it when there's a DH on the other team.

But by all means demand those nerfs. I'm sure it'll improve your own gameplay dramtically.

@Starbreaker.6507 said:

@Stand The Wall.6987 said:the best is when the dh leaves a full trap bomb on point then walks to the other side of them map and kills you when you try to cap said point. cuz skill boys.

Yep, totally the DH's fault that people are oblivious and waddle onto a point thinking it would be a 100% clear.

what the hell. how is someone supposed to anticipate an invisible trap bomb? thats ridiculous. how about traps are made visible so some monkey spamming his entire utility bar on cd can't 1 shot people from the other side of the map in both pvp and wvw? is that too much to ask?

Gee, I don't know...maybe the same way they have since HoT when the spec was first introduced:
  • Dodge roll onto point

I've done some combination of the above and it's worked out just fine for me.If I forgot to do it and get killed I blame myself for not realizing it when there's a DH on the other team.

But by all means demand those nerfs. I'm sure it'll improve your own gameplay dramtically.

alright smart guy. what if there is someone on point? you've just wasted a dodge. what about if the traps aren't on point but a random location that everyone walks by? what about wvw? what reason is there to have invisible one shot traps? i'm dying to know.

@Starbreaker.6507 said:

• Dodge roll onto point

You dodge into Dragon's Maw, Procession of Blades activates and you are an FA weaver and your 40s teleport is on CD. No tells, DH is somewhere else on mid, you saw him there. You die, because you cannot cleanse, cannot escape without stab or teleport.

GG much skill, very gameplay.

This is unrelated to trapper runes of course. Just a general problem with traps being incredibly passive in these situations.

@Gwaihir.1745 said:

@Trevor Boyer.6524 said:It needs to go from 2s to 1s. The detarget value is enough. It doesn't need elongated stealth.

Ah I found the guy who is still struggling to retarget enemies in 2020. Dude people figured that out in 2012.

Bro I wasn't complaining about having trouble retargeting. I said the retarget value is enough from the stealth and that the stealth doesn't need to be 2s, it could be 1s only. Nice pass at an insult, but the only thing you insulted here was your own cognizant comprehension value.

Calm down and read before you post man.

@Leonidrex.5649 said:rune needs a rework and not a nerf, traps in general are OK when you use 1 of them, but if you use more then one they become stupidand the rune encourages using several of them....

DH traps are designed to be used at the same time. However if you can't see the ranger or DH putting down the traps the mechanic of arming lose all sense. Agreed the runes need a rework.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rune_of_the_Trapper_(PvP)

3sc of stealth and super speed without cooldown is not really the definition of balanced game

Combined with a tank classy and who can spam burn and block / got many defensive boon and one invulnerability and it's the perfect receipe for a broken gameplay

In my opinion this rune need a rework :Add cooldown on the last perkReduce duration of stealth (1sc) and super super speed (1sc)

Realistically adding a conventional cooldown won’t really do too much as most traps will be set up at the same time on the same spot for maximum effect against unsuspecting players, generally on point while out of combat. In combat, you see a DH/ranger disappear, then you should know not to run to its last position, if you do, that’s kinda on you. What Anet should change the way stealth works so that once stealthed, only stealth attacks will work in stealth. Make stealth a defensive ability for all classes bar thief which has stealth attacks and that will fix all the problems with opening from stealth with these big hits, Mesmer’s glass cannon gs/shattering, ranger, maul/worldly impact and DH spear pulling into trap fields.

@"Peter.3901" said:Or just nerf dh?

Like they nerfed ranger and thief when the issue with the runeset arised?

• Rangers could set trap from afar, letting them flee thanks to stealth. People cried, ANet nerfed ranger's traps.
  • Thiefs could just lay trap at the feets of their foes without being revealed because "no direct damage". People cried, ANet nerfed thief's traps. (Now they even removed them altogether)
  • Now DH can just lay their traps, pull players in them from stealth and burn them to death. And people cry.

So now what? You suggest that ANet do what to justify the co-existence of this runeset and DH traps? Make it impossible for someone to pull from stealth? Make it impossible to use skills while stealthed? Nerf burn application to a point that core/DH/FB can't use condi builds and then have players complain that there is no build diversity?

What will happen next time a profession will get trap? I mean, engineer could very well get trap he got mines already and I see no reason for him to not get access to an utility type that work well with it's technology thematic. Mesmer could get traps as well, I mean mind traps gotta be a given considering it's thematic. I very well expect that the issue with the runes of the trapper would arise again if those 2 got trap, so what would ANet do then? Nerf the traps again?

When a balance issue with a common point happen 3 time in a row, it's time to admit that this point (here, the runeset) might be the prime culprit.

trapper runes have been this way for a long time. Its a glass cannon build with 1 stun break, almost no condi cleanse, low quality boon generation, and usually no invuln. The problem is that no class can do damage right now, so the ONE class that can burst people who literally can't respond to basic game interactions is considered OP. Its sad, but thats what is left of PVP population.

Without the rune, DH is straight garbage teir again. It was on par with core engy and chrono for lack of viable builds. Lack of swiftness anywhere relevant in guard skillset makes Lynx necessary, which completely kills build diversity.

Bring back damage on CCs (abet at a lower value than pre-feb) and see if DH is still viable. I expect not.

@Dadnir.5038 said

When a balance issue with a common point happen 3 time in a row, it's time to admit that this point (here, the runeset) might be the prime culprit.

I would say trapper runes expose the issue with stealth.Stealth needs to be fixed so it’s a balanced mechanic, then this runes will not need to be changed.

Anything with access to stealth causes an enormous amount of balance problems, so better fix stealth.

@Zephoid.4263 said:trapper runes have been this way for a long time. Its a glass cannon build with 1 stun break, almost no condi cleanse, low quality boon generation, and usually no invuln. The problem is that no class can do damage right now, so the ONE class that can burst people who literally can't respond to basic game interactions is considered OP. Its sad, but thats what is left of PVP population.

Without the rune, DH is straight garbage teir again. It was on par with core engy and chrono for lack of viable builds. Lack of swiftness anywhere relevant in guard skillset makes Lynx necessary, which completely kills build diversity.

Bring back damage on CCs (abet at a lower value than pre-feb) and see if DH is still viable. I expect not.

How nice burst damage is still a thing in this game - oh wait.

Wonder why it's steadily become better and better.

@Zephoid.4263 said:(...)Without the rune, DH is straight garbage teir again. It was on par with core engy and chrono for lack of viable builds. Lack of swiftness anywhere relevant in guard skillset makes Lynx necessary, which completely kills build diversity.(...)

I am always confused by people arguing like this.

If this is true, then DH can never get buffed without making it OP, because of the rune.

Change/delete the rune, then buff the rest of DH - slightly, noone likes passive trap bots, but the pushing/pulling playstyle was fun and challenging. This also enables more build diversity, because the rune is less of a straight up addon to some few burst builds.

@Megametzler.5729 said:

@Zephoid.4263 said:(...)Without the rune, DH is straight garbage teir again. It was on par with core engy and chrono for lack of viable builds. Lack of swiftness anywhere relevant in guard skillset makes Lynx necessary, which completely kills build diversity.(...)

If this is true, then DH can never get buffed without making it OP, because of the rune.

Change/delete the rune, then buff the rest of DH - slightly, noone likes passive trap bots, but the pushing/pulling playstyle was fun and challenging. This also enables more build diversity, because the rune is less of a straight up addon to some few burst builds.

Thats not how Anet has worked since the game came out. They will delete the rune and leave DH with its current awful state for years.

If DH currently HAS a viable build, it doesn't need buffed. Therefore your logic is flawed.

@Zephoid.4263 said:

Thats not how Anet has worked since the game came out. They will delete the rune and leave DH with its current awful state for years.

If DH currently HAS a viable build, it doesn't need buffed. Therefore your logic is flawed.

Your first point is "but it takes ages for this to happen!!!"Your second point literally agrees with me.

Flawed logic indeed.

Anet nerfed DH after HoT release. They have never buffed it into viability again. It took a nerfing of EVERY class to put it in a state where it could compete. It doesn't take ages, it doesn't happen. They are perfectly content to leave a poorly performing class out of viability (chrono since nerf).

My 2nd point in no way agrees with you. A build is the culmination of its parts, no matter where it comes from. Most specs don't have more than 1 viable build. Requiring more is ignorant of how the game works and anet's dedication to 'balance'. You don't buff a class that already has a meta viable build. None of that agrees with you.

Sometimes I love quote wars.

Point 1:

@Zephoid.4263 said:Anet nerfed DH after HoT release. They have never buffed it into viability again. It took a nerfing of EVERY class to put it in a state where it could compete. It doesn't take ages, it doesn't happen. They are perfectly content to leave a poorly performing class out of viability (chrono since nerf).(...)

@Zephoid.4263 said:Thats not how Anet has worked since the game came out. They will delete the rune and leave DH with its current awful state for years.(...)

Point 2:

@Zephoid.4263 said:(...) You don't buff a class that already has a meta viable build. (...)

That is my point. Let me do the thinking:

1. DH has a viable build right now. It uses trapper runes. Power and bunker builds or whatever have meme status.
  2. Will they buff those? Of course not, because then the currently strong build would become even stronger.
  3. So will anything change for DH if we leave trapper rune in the game? Probably not. Which is exactly what I said here:

@Megametzler.5729 said:(...)If this is true, then DH can never get buffed without making it OP, because of the rune.(...)

You actually did agree with me. :lol:

@Megametzler.5729 said:Sometimes I love quote wars.

Point 1:

@Zephoid.4263 said:Anet nerfed DH after HoT release. They have never buffed it into viability again. It took a nerfing of EVERY class to put it in a state where it could compete.
It doesn't take ages, it doesn't happen
. They are perfectly content to leave a poorly performing class out of viability (chrono since nerf).(...)

@Zephoid.4263 said:Thats not how Anet has worked since the game came out. They will delete the rune and leave DH with its current awful state
for years
.(...)

Point 2:

@Zephoid.4263 said:(...) You don't buff a class that already has a meta viable build. (...)

1. DH has a viable build right now. It uses trapper runes. Power and bunker builds or whatever have meme status.
  2. Will they buff those? Of course not, because then the currently strong build would become even stronger.
  3. So will anything change for DH if we leave trapper rune in the game? Probably not. Which is exactly what I said here:

(...)

Because removing runes could dumb down the game and it removes variety and sometimes hurts classes( IE celestial amulet effect on elementalist)

If needed add a icd

@Axl.8924 said:

@Megametzler.5729 said:Sometimes I love quote wars.

Point 1:

@Zephoid.4263 said:Anet nerfed DH after HoT release. They have never buffed it into viability again. It took a nerfing of EVERY class to put it in a state where it could compete.
It doesn't take ages, it doesn't happen
. They are perfectly content to leave a poorly performing class out of viability (chrono since nerf).(...)

@Zephoid.4263 said:Thats not how Anet has worked since the game came out. They will delete the rune and leave DH with its current awful state
for years
.(...)

Point 2:

(...)

Because removing runes could dumb down the game and it removes variety and sometimes hurts classes( IE celestial amulet effect on elementalist)

If needed add a icd

Indeed, I would also rather see a change. :smile: