Not being able to decide a main is killing the game for me

Look up Lord Hizen, Paper Roll, Nike!, and Venario Gaming on youtube, by far the best builds that let you solo most stuff and works for the not so pro gamers.(I would have included "Not Sure" channel but he posted above with his weaver.At first I was terrible with weaver (I would die to low level mobs :p ) until I watched his videos and can now run around and solo most things even HoT Hp

@"Valdor.8142" said:Look up Lord Hizen, Paper Roll, Nike!, and Venario Gaming on youtube, by far the best builds that let you solo most stuff and works for the not so pro gamers.(I would have included "Not Sure" channel but he posted above with his weaver.At first I was terrible with weaver (I would die to low level mobs :p ) until I watched his videos and can now run around and solo most things even HoT Hp

Yes, these are good recommendations, @OrangeWaffle.4287 . In particular, I highly recommend any open world Lord Hizen build. He's got a thing for turning the defensive stats into damage boosters, which should suit your all-rounder needs a bit better than the typical buildcrafter. You've already met @AliamRationem.5172 in this thread, whose Weaver build is incredibly effective for solo play as well.

As for picking mains, my analysis of your opening post and follow ups is that actually you should consider aesthetics first and foremost. This is because there is a way to build just about every class into an effective solo character, with the caveat that you're going to have to carry extra builds/gear to efficiently pug the highest tiers of group content. But frankly if you care about looks as much as you do, you're not going to want to pug stuff anyways - leave that to the folks who are interested in situationally-optimal builds on a variety of characters.

This didn't say answered yet so I'll throw my 2 cents in, even though I think voltaicbore has it right.

I would vote mesmer, coz I'm fond of them (also because you said you like light armor best and you find them fun and pretty-- but necro based on what you said could be good too) but I think that every class is viable for all content. So I agree you should consider aesthetics and what you just personally enjoy playing first and foremost, without worrying about what is viable or not. This game isn't like others where classes are unusable in a lot of contexts. My character's classes are based on the class that would fit the 'Character' that I made.If you're interested in jumping puzzles, mesmers and thieves have portals in their base class, necro has a portal in the path of fire expac, but you could just buy for cheap watchwork portal devices on any class anyway, so you should choose the most fun prettiest class that you enjoy. If you're interested in triple trouble full-blocking (it's an obscure hidden rhythm game where you prevent adds coming out that you can learn if you volunteer to learn on organized triple trouble maps accessible via LFG), mesmers & elementalists are good for that.

Mesmers are not that difficult to get used to, really, especially if it's your first 'main'. It was my first main that I learned to play, not particularly tricky at all. Difficulty really is a matter of opinion and also a matter of what kind of game characters you're used to playing in the first place, so don't worry about it. If you have any mesmer questions (or blocking questions, it's kind of obscure and not much info is on the wiki about it yet), happy to help with what I can.

Since GW2 is very fluid, it is hard to pick just one class to "main". What I decided to do financially is decide on what armor type I liked more and then ascend swap. I ruled out Heavy as it was least appealing overall to me and then chose light as main due to condi, healing potential and dabble in medium ( i love engi). I'll then use any ascended loot drops for my medium class while crafting my ascended for light.

you mentioned mes and ele being difficult and I agree. But when you get it right in a fight it feels more rewarding than face rolling with an easier class. condi mes is loads of fun (unless you are required to stand still, they are very hyper classes). Once i get my mes to full ascended yassith and finish the storys, i'm going to swap the gear to the ele for a bit.

What i've found in my research is that where your main difficulty will be is choosing a healer that is good for all game types. Here you'll have to choose between single target heal , aoe heal, boon support or condi cleanse main which can be tricky. I decided i'm going to start working on tempest for its aoe potential and then use it for fractal,wvw, hp/bounty trains. Only prediction I have that I may flex on is going scrapper if I want to wvw more than open world. Most folks will say guardian is the way to go for healing but I just don't like playing it :pensive:

So, at the end of this all I can really say is that you should spend more time playing and less time researching. I can't tell you how much time I've wasted browsing the forums when I could be in actually playing the game :P