[Answered] Why did we get DRMs instead of new Strikes?

Ashantara.8731

Steel and Fire along with DRMs have been great because it is new content that can be done solo. Although the former is too long and the latter is shit rewards.

The Icebrood Saga has been a mess in every implemented feature save for the Prologue. It is like witnessing the quality standard of released content diminish to Season 2 and 1 levels. It is the culmination of everything bad about Sun's Refuge implemented into a full season.

Let's hope they never do that again. Go back to the reliable quality of S3, S4 (Not you, Domain of Kourna map!), and expansion releases.

• 3 weeks later...

@DKRathalos.9625 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:I don't understand why ANet repeatedly introduces "a new thing" only to abandon it soon after?
  • Dungeons: were replaced by Fractals :-1:
  • Bounties: were replaced by Strike Missions (
    okay, I never liked bounties to begin with
    )
  • Strikes: were replaced by Dragon Response Missions
  • WvW: also a neglected/abandoned child

A lot of players were expecting a new Strike Mission with this episode - I hope there
will
be one by the end. It's a great game mode.

Just stick to
something
I say. Dungeons were great, why the need for Fractals? Strike Missions were fun, why the need for DRMs, which are lengthy and boring to repeat?

Easy because apparently they laid of too much employee and senior staffs? Or maybe people quitting anet too. If you look at anet career post they look some people to fill crucial position. Which mean they are currently undermanned and of course we got underwhelming "new things" in result.They just doing the minimum (or below minimum maybe?) to hold community's interest like when they announce alliance to keep people hope but never deliver it.

Layoffs had nothing to do with GW2. I really wish people would stop saying so.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:I don't understand why ANet repeatedly introduces "a new thing" only to abandon it soon after?
    )

A lot of players were expecting a new Strike Mission with this episode - I hope there
will

Just stick to
something
I say. Dungeons were great, why the need for Fractals? Strike Missions were fun, why the need for DRMs, which are lengthy and boring to repeat?

Easy because apparently they laid of too much employee and senior staffs? Or maybe people quitting anet too. If you look at anet career post they look some people to fill crucial position. Which mean they are currently undermanned and of course we got underwhelming "new things" in result.They just doing the minimum (or below minimum maybe?) to hold community's interest like when they announce alliance to keep people hope but never deliver it.

they were on GW2 payroll, but they were working on "other projects". that is not "nothing".this means is a lot of content missing from THIS game.content they are sorely missing now.

@battledrone.8315 said:

)

will

Just stick to
something

they were on GW2 payroll, but they were working on "other projects". that is not "nothing".this means is a lot of content missing from THIS game.content they are sorely missing now.

How does people who worked on other projects unrelated to GW2 mean missing content from GW2 when they were laid off? Those same people working on other projects were likely doing that during LS4 too.

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:How does people who worked on other projects unrelated to GW2 mean missing content from GW2 when they were laid off? Those same people working on other projects were likely doing that during LS4 too.

As GW2's is Arenanet primary source of income (if not their only source), it means those side projects were financed with GW2 money.This means, money that had been made with GW2 had not been used to make content or other things for GW2.

Imagine these people had worked on GW2 instead of the now-cancelled side projects (which resulted in loss of the GW2 money spent on them).One can easily consider that "missing content".

@Fueki.4753 said:

@"Ayrilana.1396" said:How does people who worked on other projects unrelated to GW2 mean missing content from GW2 when they were laid off? Those same people working on other projects were likely doing that during LS4 too.

As GW2's is Arenanet primary source of income (if not their only source), it means those side projects were financed with GW2 money.This means, money that had been made with GW2 had not been used to make content or other things for GW2.

Imagine these people had worked on GW2 instead of the now-cancelled side projects (which resulted in loss of the GW2 money spent on them).One can easily consider that "missing content".

So since gw2 was made with money from gw1 do we then get to blame gw2 for no more gw1?Its kinda silly to think that they need to branch out to survive.

@Fueki.4753 said:

If the side projects were financed directly by Arenanet then NCSoft wouldn't force them to lay off those people. Or at the very least tell them to allocate them back into Guild Wars 2. It's more likely that NCSoft financed those projects, at least in part, and when they saw they were going nowhere they ordered Anet to scrap them. It's how Guild Wars 2 itself was funded with money from other NCSoft games. GW1 stopped earning "good" money YEARS before the release of Guild Wars 2, so it's unlikely GW2 was funded by GW1 earnings.

@"Linken.6345" said:So since gw2 was made with money from gw1 do we then get to blame gw2 for no more gw1?Its kinda silly to think that they need to branch out to survive.

Yes, we get to "blame" GW2 for them stopping making additional content for GW1.But unlike GW1, which Arenanet considered to be done at that point, GW2 is still growing in content, albeit ever so slowly with droplets of living world.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

If the side projects were financed directly by Arenanet then NCSoft wouldn't force them to lay off those people. Or at the very least tell them to allocate them back into Guild Wars 2. It's more likely that NCSoft financed those projects, at least in part, and when they saw they were going nowhere they ordered Anet to scrap them. It's how Guild Wars 2 itself was funded with money from other NCSoft games. GW1 stopped earning "good" money YEARS before the release of Guild Wars 2, so it's unlikely GW2 was funded by GW1 earnings.

the problem still remains, you have people , that arent working on the game= missing content.and if ncsoft were paying them, what happened to the rest of the money?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

)

will

Just stick to
something

How does people who worked on other projects unrelated to GW2 mean missing content from GW2 when they were laid off? Those same people working on other projects were likely doing that during LS4 too.

have you ever worked ? next time youre getting you car fixed, try to convince the mechanic to fix your boat engine too , without paying extraa job is a job....not 2 jobs

@battledrone.8315 said:

the problem still remains, you have people , that arent working on the game= missing content.

That's like saying all the thousand developers that are working on other companies and aren't working for Arenanet = missing content. Also, you do understand that there are people working at Arenanet that aren't directly involved in making content right?

and if ncsoft were paying them, what happened to the rest of the money?

What rest of the money? NCSoft gets all the money, including what money Anet is making, then invests the money back on their projects. They were paying the Guild Wars 2 development team for almost 6 years, with very little return, that's how investment in games works. Then when they saw the new projects of Anet weren't progressing as fast as expected, they ordered them cancelled.

@battledrone.8315 said:

)

will

Just stick to
something

have you ever worked ? next time youre getting you car fixed, try to convince the mechanic to fix your boat engine too , without paying extraa job is a job....not 2 jobs

That metaphor doesn't even work.

Honestly. I like Strikes and DRMs. I like that there are short but challenging group content like Strikes, and I like that there are short but rewarding content like DRMs.

I hope BOTH get updated with more added and that neither get left to rot. I sincerely hope that EoD brings us more of each. I also wouldn't mind more strikes like Forging Steel that can be soloed, simply because I prefer to solo content and I like the challenge.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Honestly. I like Strikes and DRMs. I like that there are short but challenging group content like Strikes, and I like that there are short but rewarding content like DRMs.

I hope BOTH get updated with more added and that neither get left to rot. I sincerely hope that EoD brings us more of each. I also wouldn't mind more strikes like Forging Steel that can be soloed, simply because I prefer to solo content and I like the challenge.

How are DRMs rewarding?

@Fueki.4753 said:

As I said in my post, they were working on these side projects during LS4 and yet comments were made that this has impacted content now rather than back then. This doesn’t make much sense.

@battledrone.8315 said:

)

will

Just stick to
something

they were on GW2 payroll, but they were working on "other projects". that is not "nothing".this means is a lot of content missing from THIS game.content they are sorely missing now.You're on record as saying you cannot manage the difficulty of any content past Core.And you think there's a content drought?

@maddoctor.2738 said:

the problem still remains, you have people , that arent working on the game= missing content.

That's like saying all the thousand developers that are working on other companies and aren't working for Arenanet = missing content. Also, you do understand that there are people working at Arenanet that aren't directly involved in making content right?

and if ncsoft were paying them, what happened to the rest of the money?

What rest of the money? NCSoft gets all the money, including what money Anet is making, then invests the money back on their projects. They were paying the Guild Wars 2 development team for almost 6 years, with very little return, that's how investment in games works. Then when they saw the new projects of Anet weren't progressing as fast as expected, they ordered them cancelled.

but those other developers arent on anets payroll, and arent funded by THIS game. when we were paying anet, they didnt invest much of the money here, but in other projects. in short: we paid for something, we didnt get. there is a word for that behavior, and it isnt pretty one. i would love to hear , when thos other projects started,how many years they went on. and if ncsoft were paying for it, then anet didnt have to fire them either.

@mindcircus.1506 said:

)

will

Just stick to
something

they were on GW2 payroll, but they were working on "other projects". that is not "nothing".this means is a lot of content missing from THIS game.content they are sorely missing now.You're on record as saying you cannot manage the difficulty of any content past Core.And you think there's a content drought?

some of it i can do, otherwise i wouldnt have upgraded mounts and both elite specs on several classes. and there is definately a content drought regardingeasy content. no new classes, no new races, balance patches almost non existant, pvp/WwW content is neglected, and the latest DRMs are clearly the minimumstandard for content. but hey, everything is just fine, right?

@kharmin.7683 said:

)

will

Just stick to
something

That metaphor doesn't even work.

one person understood it, so clearly, it does. do you want to work without getting paid for it? do you want to pay for NOTHING?

@battledrone.8315 said:

)

will

Just stick to
something

some of it i can do, otherwise i wouldnt have upgraded mounts and both elite specs on several classes. and there is definately a content drought regardingeasy content. no new classes, no new races, balance patches almost non existant, pvp/WwW content is neglected, and the latest DRMs are clearly the minimumstandard for content. but hey, everything is just fine, right?

I thought DRMs would be right up your ally its as close to core they have got in a long time.

@Lan Deathrider.5910 said:Honestly. I like Strikes and DRMs. I like that there are short but challenging group content like Strikes, and I like that there are short but rewarding content like DRMs.

But DRMs are neither short nor rewarding... You spend just as much time as good T4 fractal run and you get a bunch of trash (also literally) as a reward.

@battledrone.8315 said:but those other developers arent on anets payroll, and arent funded by THIS game. when we were paying anet, they didnt invest much of the money here, but in other projects. in short: we paid for something, we didnt get. there is a word for that behavior, and it isnt pretty one. i would love to hear , when thos other projects started,how many years they went on. and if ncsoft were paying for it, then anet didnt have to fire them either.

You are paying NCSoft (not Anet), just like every players of an NCSoft game. Then it's up to NCSoft to spent that money on projects. And I will repeat that's how Guild Wars 2 was created in the first place, with money from games like Aion, Lineage and Lineage 2. That's how gaming works because video games are expensive and take years to create, which is why video games are investments. And beyond that, Anet released GW2 with at most 200 employees, and reached 436 employees total in early 2019 (before the layoffs), then went down to 293 after they laid off 143 employees. Notice that they still had (after the layoffs) more employees than they did have on release or during HOT. And given Anet's revenue was in a decline, we were getting more than what we were paying (compared to the past) So get your facts straight

I think whether strikes come back or not is all down to whether they're profitable. It's something I've said before but it bears saying again. ArenaNet has this data—it's a simple matter for them to look at it and draw a conclusion about what content will keep them afloat in the future. As I've also pointed out, NCSoft is their parent corporation and as it is whenever a business is owned, ArenaNet has to contend with their greed.

If you look at a game like WildStar—it was a game entirely made up of forced grouping. It had no other content, really, it was very similar to classic WoW in a lot of ways and it flopped, hard. It's because the majority of players who want to play WoW will... Well, I mean they're going to be playing WoW, aren't they? It caters to them.

That means that the people who enjoy forced grouping content are always a minuscule minority in any game other than WoW. It's become obvious that optional grouping is the way to go—that means open wrold events, story missions, and something like the DRMs. All of these are open to not only solo play, but small group play of 1-3 players. I feel that's going to be the most common group size, with 1-2 being even moreso as some will play solo whereas others will play with their partner.

Another issue is that casual players buy things. I've spoken with people who tend to grind, even on the lesser end of the raid spectrum, and they have more gold than they know what to do with. So what do they do? They convert their gold to gems. By doing this, they remove themselves as a profitable demographic.

Consider Guild Wars 1. It continues to be run only thanks to NCSoft's good graces. By not being a true MMORPG, it costs very little to just keep the servers running. The good will generated by those who play both it and Guild Wars 2 likely looks good enough on paper. I'm not one of those people, but I suspect they're worried they might lose paying Guild Wars 2 customers if they shut it down and the risk of shutting it down when its operating costs are so low aren't worth it.

However, Guild Wars 1 has no new content being developed for it of any size. Why? It isn't profitable. NCSoft is very much about their bottom-line. That's not surprising if you consider that they're a publically traded company. This means that ArenaNet also has to consider NCSoft's bottom-line, because if they don't? A lot of people will be out of a lot of jobs. It's important to keep the game profitable so that these people stay employed.

If strikes are profitable then they might very well return in End of Dragons. If they're not, then DRM style content might be the replacement for them as they can at least appeal to small group (1-3) players in this content in ways that they can't with strikes.

I think the most preferable choice is for ArenaNet to continue to exist. It's a lot of jobs lost otherwise and I'm personally very fond of the stories they tell. That's why whenever I can I do tend to drop a lot of money on the gem store, whenever I'm in a position to I do that. I want to do whatever I can to help make that bottom-line look a little bit more rosy. I care about ArenaNet and their continued existence.

Frankly, I've become very fond of the lot of them.

So here's what I'll say: If your goal is to have strikes persist, even to flourish? Don't post on the forums about it. It doesn't change anything—there are long-time fans here who'll tell you that, it never does. The reason why is basically what I've already said, that ArenaNet can look at their data and link gauge the profitability of content-type. No opinion is going to be more compelling than that hard evidence. So what do you do?

Buy gems. If you want your favourite game mode to do better, buy gems. Be profitable. I don't mind! I don't mind if you have more of a focus in upcoming content. I just want Guild Wars 2 to survive. I'm being sincere here. I don't care if it means less content for me so long as I can continue to enjoy the main storyline. I'm not telling you this because I'm entitled, it's... kind of the opposite of that? I'm telling you this because I understand my privilege. It's a privilege casual players have by being profitable.

So be profitable! It's up to you, really.

@Hypnowulf.7403 said:SnipAnother issue is that casual players buy things. I've spoken with people who tend to grind, even on the lesser end of the raid spectrum, and they have more gold than they know what to do with. So what do they do? They convert their gold to gems. By doing this, they remove themselves as a profitable demographic.

Snip

I said it before I will say it again, without those people trading gold for gems people would not buy gems to trade for gold since they would get no gold for their gems.

@maddoctor.2738 said:

@battledrone.8315 said:but those other developers arent on anets payroll, and arent funded by THIS game. when we were paying anet, they didnt invest much of the money here, but in other projects. in short: we paid for something, we didnt get. there is a word for that behavior, and it isnt pretty one. i would love to hear , when thos other projects started,how many years they went on. and if ncsoft were paying for it, then anet didnt have to fire them either.

You are paying NCSoft (not Anet), just like every players of an NCSoft game. Then it's up to NCSoft to spent that money on projects. And I will repeat that's how Guild Wars 2 was created in the first place, with money from games like Aion, Lineage and Lineage 2. That's how gaming works because video games are expensive and take years to create, which is why video games are investments. And beyond that, Anet released GW2 with at most 200 employees, and reached 436 employees total in early 2019 (before the layoffs), then went down to 293 after they laid off 143 employees. Notice that they still had (after the layoffs) more employees than they did have on release or during HOT. And given Anet's revenue was in a decline, we were getting more than what we were paying (compared to the past) So get your facts straight

wow. if ncsoft really had another project, wouldnt they had hired a new team for it, so anet could focus their resources on this game??and ncsoft is a huge company, they surely would have the resources to finish a project with a a few hundred employees, instead of just ditching it , and taking a lossperhaps you are happy to pay for vaporware, but i am not