How about making the Griffon able to use updrafts?

I love my Griffon but like most players I find the Skyscale more useful 99.99% of the time.It's a shame to see such a glorious mount grounded because of a too stiff competition!So while playing in Bloodstone Fen I thought why not make the Griffon able to use updrafts? Give it more places and ways to be able to start from up high!I don't think it would outshine the Skyscale that way, but people might find it useful again, and I certainly would love to be able to hear its cooing while soaring through the sky!I know I'm probably not the first to have this idea, but what do you think of it?

I believe using updrafts would fit the griffon perfectly. The griffon requires a high starting point in order to properly shine. Updrafts would make it easier to get to a high starting point and to use the griffon's abilities.

It wouldn't make any other mounts obsolete since the skyscale would still be the only mount that is able to rise into the air on its own. It would just be a quality of life change, so we no longer have to dismount, use the updraft with a glider and then remount the griffon.

@Randulf.7614 said:I guess it really depends if it matters that it would probably make gliding obsolete. To be honest, I'm not sure I care enough one way or the other on that at this point, but it might be a reason not to do it

I don't think so... Being able to go underwater with the Skimmer didn't make swimming obsolete, and most people already seem to prefer using the Skyscale instead of gliding. This would make for and alternate option: you can glide, you can mount... And maybe motivate new players to use the Griffon. Since the Skyscale release most people just say Grifffon is useless and new players see no use to invest in it...

@Loosmaster.8263 said:Remember if they do this, they will probably have to spend time and resources to put updrafts in all the maps.

No so sure about that. Since season 4 they've been creating masteries that are only usable on a handful of maps, sometimes a single one, without bothering about the fact it's useless in 90% of the playing area. They could make the Griffon able to use updrafts by default, not a new mastery... That way it's a plus where there are updrafts, and just no change where there aren't...

@Eclipsiste.3251 said:I love my Griffon but like most players I find the Skyscale more useful 99.99% of the time.It's a shame to see such a glorious mount grounded because of a too stiff competition!So while playing in Bloodstone Fen I thought why not make the Griffon able to use updrafts? Give it more places and ways to be able to start from up high!I don't think it would outshine the Skyscale that way, but people might find it useful again, and I certainly would love to be able to hear its cooing while soaring through the sky!I know I'm probably not the first to have this idea, but what do you think of it?

I would love that

Sounds good, but there are also some potential problems with that:

1. gliding loses its last(?) purpose
  2. while using the griffon in a place with a lot of updrafts it would be pretty easy to lose the speed by "clipping" an updraft (for example VB nighttime), which isn't such a huge deal considering you'll be higher so you can dive again, but it will definitely cut on some fun factor due to breaking the rhytm/momentum

To sum up: I don't know :D

• Confused 1

You can already do it by mastering the Crystal Champion and Griffon masteries. Use the bond of faith to launch from your mount and glide and then use the Griffon ability to mount up while gliding. I don't think this is something you can do with a Skyscale. So the only thing we need now are the updrafts, we definitely need a lot more of them in every game content.

@Baddxian.3851 said:They can't use updrafts? How does that make any sense at all?!

I don't have either of the flying mounts yet, so I did not realize this, but it certainly dampens my enthusiasm for working towards the griffin...

Griffons are faster than gliders and can cross entire maps for one end to the opposite if you get up high enough and use dive properly, they don't need updrafts. Skyscales definitely don't need updrafts, they can fly vertically, kinda like a helicopter.

I think griffon use of updrafts should follow certain rules. The level in altitude change should be proportional to how fast the griffon is moving. A slow moving griffon should get a glider like lift. A fast moving griffon should only get a slight bump in altitude unless the player pulls up into the updraft then it accelerates the griffon up the column.

@Baddxian.3851 said:They can't use updrafts? How does that make any sense at all?!

I don't have either of the flying mounts yet, so I did not realize this, but it certainly dampens my enthusiasm for working towards the griffin...

Somewhere in one of the previous threads on this topic it was explained that griffons (and now, by extension skyscales) are too heavy to benefit from updrafts. Thus, the glider.

When people express disdain that the Griffon is hard to get, posters often swoop in with the 'well it's optional' 'well you don't really need it' 'well it's supposed to be a prestige mount'.

If it's supposed to be prestige, it's about time it acted like it. Mounts didn't take away my desire to walk, and giving the Griffon the ability to ride updrafts won't take away my desire to glide. Heck, I still miss fall damage reduction since they never replaced it with anything. Improving the mounts we already have sounds like a great idea, and there's already precedent for this with the Skimmer being given a dive ability (which for the record hasn't stopped me from swimming manually either).

Good suggestion. Do the thing.

I feel like Griffon is very lacking compared to Skyscale, but I'm not sure this is the fix to try to bridge the gap.

I feel like if the groundspeed was increased some, and that the initial take off was 3 flaps (another 33% higher), that it would see a lot more use. It needs something to help get it in the air a little more. The horizontal ability is fine and a good focus for it, but it needs to do a little more for you if you are on flatter or sloped terrain.

If the skyscale's great ability is to hover and go vertical, Griffon should be able to do a lot more horizontally, even when launching from flat ground.

@Opopanax.1803 said:I feel like Griffon is very lacking compared to Skyscale, but I'm not sure this is the fix to try to bridge the gap.

I feel like if the groundspeed was increased some, and that the initial take off was 3 flaps (another 33% higher), that it would see a lot more use. It needs something to help get it in the air a little more. The horizontal ability is fine and a good focus for it, but it needs to do a little more for you if you are on flatter or sloped terrain.

If the skyscale's great ability is to hover and go vertical, Griffon should be able to do a lot more horizontally, even when launching from flat ground.

Something like this wouldn't be a bad idea.