Is it worth playing this game

Hi all! I'm a new player who's recently got really bored of fps games and want a good mmo to dig my teeth into. I've already tried out wow and ffxiv and enjoyed them but never got to max level. I enjoy this games leveling and combat way more than those two however I've always like playing a healer(as I find doing damage in mmos extremely boring) and enjoyed the idea of working as a team to bring down the boss. As far as I can see so far healing isn't really a thing in this game and the team work doesn't really go beyond reviving and putting down things to make your team do more damage.Furthermore I've managed to get to the first dungeon and found that it felt like I was hardly contributing to the damage compared to everyone else and made me think what's the point of playing a game where damage is the main aspect but when you go into dungeons it doesn't even feel like you are doing damage. Idk if I've got this all wrong so I'd appreciate any help given or to see if you guys think its just worth playing another mmo so I can do healing

First: welcome to the game.Second: to answer the OP question, yes it's worth playing this gameThird: there are numerous builds in the game that can provide healing, but healing isn't really useful in the game until you reach the expansion. Especially while leveling all that matters is killing things fast, so you level fast. Plus core game mobs tickle even if you use under-level full offensive gear. The dungeons in the game are core content, meaning healing isn't really necessary there, all you need is burst dps to kill bosses before they have a chance to do their abilities. Do keep in mind that in this game everyone can heal, which eliminates the need for a dedicated healer in the majority of content.

That said, the content where healing is good is Fractals of the Mists at higher levels (they are like dungeons but their difficulty goes up the higher you go, they have 100 tiers to go through), some Strike Missions (which are 10-man instanced content) and of course Raids (also 10-man content but much harder and takes way more time than Strike Missions). You can also play a healing build on many expansion meta events to keep your allies and key npcs alive, which will give you participation in the event (so access to the rewards).

In general, if you want to be a healer, you need to go past the core game. Since you are posting here, you own the expansions, so all I can say is blast through core and you will reach the more intense, more challenging, and more fun parts of the game where team composition can matter.

@Excursion.9752 said:

@Sorlis.9238 said:Honestly, I don't even think this game is worth playing. I have a lot of hours in it, and I regret it.It may be more helpful to list the reasons why you regret it.What would it matter if he listed it?

I could probably have learned fluent Japanese with the hours spent in GW2. Or taken a black belt in karate.

Regret is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether you enjoy doing it and have the time in your life to spare.

@Dawdler.8521 said:

@Sorlis.9238 said:Honestly, I don't even think this game is worth playing. I have a lot of hours in it, and I regret it.It may be more helpful to list the reasons why you regret it.What would it matter if he listed it?

I could probably have learned fluent Japanese with the hours spent in GW2. Or taken a black belt in karate.

Regret is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether you enjoy doing it and have the time in your life to spare.You can literally say that about anything that takes up your time. Without reason makes the post irrelevant or incomplete. Definitely not helpful to a person that is looking for reasons to play a game or not since they are looking for motive.

@madhead.2139 said:Hi all! I'm a new player who's recently got really bored of fps games and want a good mmo to dig my teeth into. I've already tried out wow and ffxiv and enjoyed them but never got to max level. I enjoy this games leveling and combat way more than those two however I've always like playing a healer(as I find doing damage in mmos extremely boring) and enjoyed the idea of working as a team to bring down the boss. As far as I can see so far healing isn't really a thing in this game and the team work doesn't really go beyond reviving and putting down things to make your team do more damage.Furthermore I've managed to get to the first dungeon and found that it felt like I was hardly contributing to the damage compared to everyone else and made me think what's the point of playing a game where damage is the main aspect but when you go into dungeons it doesn't even feel like you are doing damage. Idk if I've got this all wrong so I'd appreciate any help given or to see if you guys think its just worth playing another mmo so I can do healing

To this be said. Dungeons are end content. Even if you get access to them very early. Which, to this day, I don't really understand either.So your feeling there is completely justified. But I wouldn't base your final decision on that.Where I'm not sure, though, is whether you'll find that much satisfaction in a healer here.These are very rarely in demand. And unless you're playing in a group/guild that is super bad at dodging and such, you won't get much feedback.In a guild you will always be accepted, no matter what you play. But away from raids, strikes and possibly fractals, there is little to nothing for healers to do.

But DMG can also be a lot of fun. So try it out and decide for yourself ^^.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

@madhead.2139 said:Hi all! I'm a new player who's recently got really bored of fps games and want a good mmo to dig my teeth into. I've already tried out wow and ffxiv and enjoyed them but never got to max level. I enjoy this games leveling and combat way more than those two however I've always like playing a healer(as I find doing damage in mmos extremely boring) and enjoyed the idea of working as a team to bring down the boss. As far as I can see so far healing isn't really a thing in this game and the team work doesn't really go beyond reviving and putting down things to make your team do more damage.Furthermore I've managed to get to the first dungeon and found that it felt like I was hardly contributing to the damage compared to everyone else and made me think what's the point of playing a game where damage is the main aspect but when you go into dungeons it doesn't even feel like you are doing damage. Idk if I've got this all wrong so I'd appreciate any help given or to see if you guys think its just worth playing another mmo so I can do healing

To this be said. Dungeons are end content. Even if you get access to them very early. Which, to this day, I don't really understand either.So your feeling there is completely justified. But I wouldn't base your final decision on that.Where I'm not sure, though, is whether you'll find that much satisfaction in a healer here.These are very rarely in demand. And unless you're playing in a group/guild that is super bad at dodging and such, you won't get much feedback.In a guild you will always be accepted, no matter what you play. But away from raids, strikes and possibly fractals, there is little to nothing for healers to do.

Dungeons are not endgame content. story mode, ANET in game emails and ANET level system points you at them early on. They were farmed as endgame content when there was no end game content. Core original content (including dungeons) were designed with out the trinity meaning stack and pull could race through all content as said previously.

Factals have evolved and changed and balances as end game 5 man content. There you can find use for heals, or build groups that focus DPS with a bit of support. PUGs are always looking for heals.

Raids/Strikes use heals. WvW also makes use of groups of DPS/Support if you find that mode entertaining (helps to have a guild that knows how it works and does well.)

After 8 years of playing GW2, I can't say it would be worth starting at this point. It only matters if you can get to the content you enjoy and find people you enjoy running with. Most of the different communities can be very toxic/elitist, but there are some nice people out there.

@Deedrick.4372 said:

Dungeons are not endgame content. story mode, ANET in game emails and ANET level system points you at them early on. They were farmed as endgame content when there was no end game content. Core original content (including dungeons) were designed with out the trinity meaning stack and pull could race through all content as said previously.

Factals have evolved and changed and balances as end game 5 man content. There you can find use for heals, or build groups that focus DPS with a bit of support. PUGs are always looking for heals.

Raids/Strikes use heals. WvW also makes use of groups of DPS/Support if you find that mode entertaining (helps to have a guild that knows how it works and does well.)

After 8 years of playing GW2, I can't say it would be worth starting at this point. It only matters if you can get to the content you enjoy and find people you enjoy running with. Most of the different communities can be very toxic/elitist, but there are some nice people out there.

For a newbie, dungeons are endcontent, even story mode.I would like to see a newbie who runs Story Mode Ascalon with the little bit of equipment he gets up to lvl 35. That might work if he has 4 people who are lvl 80 with halfway good equipment but definitely not with 5 lvl35 characters with green or yellow equipment, without jewelry, without backs and who have no idea about the game.

Then exactly that comes out. He has the feeling to make no DMG. Even on lvl 80, without proper knowledge and equipment is exactly this outcome. And often you feel even more stupid as a beginner, because the dungeons are unlocked at low lvl, which I personally find wrong. But that's just my opinion.

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

For a newbie, dungeons are endcontent, even story mode.I would like to see a newbie who runs Story Mode Ascalon with the little bit of equipment he gets up to lvl 35. That might work if he has 4 people who are lvl 80 with halfway good equipment but definitely not with 5 lvl35 characters with green or yellow equipment, without jewelry, without backs and who have no idea about the game.

Then exactly that comes out. He has the feeling to make no DMG. Even on lvl 80, without proper knowledge and equipment is exactly this outcome. And often you feel even more stupid as a beginner, because the dungeons are unlocked at low lvl, which I personally find wrong. But that's just my opinion.

Still remember to this day, me and 4 friends fresh level 35 doing ascalon catacombs path 2 for hours, came to last boss and ghost spawned every time we died so we had 4 groups at once to take care of to clean the traps.

Sad to say we gave up since it was to hard =P

@Fuchslein.8639 said:

Yes, 5 noobs at level 35 in blue gear below level will undoubtedly have trouble but not undoable. 5 decently geared players at lev 40 should breeze through it. Not sure how any one qualifies under geared @ min level failure as an excuse to call it end game. The only end game dungeon prior to fractals was Arah and even then it was soloable so probably no need to wait for 'end game' to do it.

The story mode is a perfect tutorial to help us find a better build and understand our profession. That is very useful before participating in fractals, raids, PvP and WvW.The jumping puzzles in PvE helps out with that too, the controls and movement becomes easier.

This game is definitely worth playing. The story is a lot easier and there's always a way to complete it.If you need help, you can invite friends to your party and they can help you with the story and you can continue playing a supportive role if you like.

As others have said, all classes have some kind of healing but it is possible to use all supportive skills to get that build. So far, I've only played Mesmer which has some supportive skills. But I think most professions can do that too?

One major difference between trinity games like WoW and non-trinity games like GW2 is the build system. In a game like WoW you choose a role and then you choose from talents that support that role. So, while you're making choices, the range of choices you're presented are limited to that role. Not so in GW2. You can build however you like...which means you can design a build that has poor synergy and tries to do too many things at once and ultimately fails at all of them!

This often leads to a disconnect in perception. For instance, a quick youtube search found a video of a successful group completing the final boss in T4 nightmare fractal challenge mode in about 11 minutes. Then I see a video of the pros doing the same fight in 1:15. The difference can be pretty dramatic. So, if you're feeling like dungeons are full of bosses that have way too much health, this may be part of the reason why.

While we don't have true healers here the way WoW does, the healer/support roles we do have are every bit as important. That 1:15 speed kill video relies on boon support to magnify damage output for the group. This includes not only boons which increase damage such as might, fury, and quickness, but also stability and healing to prevent stuns and allow rapid recovery so your DPS can focus on damage rather than playing defensively. The rules are different here, but healer/support roles have a big impact just as they do in trinity games.

Yes: In general I'd say it is worth. Cause there is tons of content.The main question though is: Is it worth for you?

I guess you described a lot about what you are looking for - which makes it easier to answer this question.Personally I think PvE content can get repetitive fast. At least the type you are looking for: Open World stuff is usualyl a lot about zerging and bringing numbers.

And the dungeons/raids are not the main focus of the game. Instead of a gear treadmill we get fewer releases and the rewards focusing on skins. Still: There is the possibility of teamwork. Makes stuff a lot easier. I only did fractals up to T2 so far - and some bosses need this.

Not about healing/rezzing though. (Quickly rezzing downed is important though.) From what I have read the pro guides focus on stuff like condition removal and stability, alacrity, etc. On low level without much coordination it helps to be good at CC (knowing the mechanics and even bringing CC when a lot of others might be too bad in that department).

I'd recommend to trying to get into at least 1 other part besides small group coordinated PvE content. Otherwise it might boring fast. Either trying to enjoy the story and leveling/trying out different professions. Or completion (exploring the world + achievements and map completion.) Or the PvE/WvE.

With only focusing on dungeons/fractals/raids/strikes ... probably it is not worth. Personally I would not recommend the game to players that are purely looking for this type of content - without at least being open to give other stuff a try as well.

@kharmin.7683 said:

@"Deedrick.4372" said:Most of the different communities can be very toxic/elitist, but there are some nice people out there.Most? I highly disagree with that statement. Yes, there are toxic/elitist players, but to paint "most" of the communities in this way? Sorry, no.

I second this statement, trust me on this, we are milquetoast in comparison to most other games.

@AliamRationem.5172 said:

One major difference between trinity games like WoW and non-trinity games like GW2 is the build system. In a game like WoW you choose a role and then you choose from talents that support that role. So, while you're making choices, the range of choices you're presented are limited to that role. Not so in GW2. You can build however you like...which means you can design a build that has poor synergy and tries to do too many things at once and ultimately fails at all of them!

This often leads to a disconnect in perception. For instance, a quick youtube search found a video of a successful group completing the final boss in T4 nightmare fractal challenge mode in about 11 minutes. Then I see a video of the pros doing the same fight in 1:15. The difference can be pretty dramatic. So, if you're feeling like dungeons are full of bosses that have way too much health, this may be part of the reason why.

While we don't have true healers here the way WoW does, the healer/support roles we do have are every bit as important. That 1:15 speed kill video relies on boon support to magnify damage output for the group. This includes not only boons which increase damage such as might, fury, and quickness, but also stability and healing to prevent stuns and allow rapid recovery so your DPS can focus on damage rather than playing defensively. The rules are different here, but healer/support roles have a big impact just as they do in trinity games.

If you, OP, have tried/would like to try WvW, healing when running in a squad is extremely useful. There are guilds out there who focus on WvW, and you would be very welcomed as a healer, especially if you can cleanse.

There are some metas where healing is helpful (Palawadan in Istan), others not so much (anything in Auric Basin). For the former, if you can offer boons as well, that is helpful too (chak gerent in Tangled Depths). Much of the Dragonstand meta has place for a healer, except for the end fight with Mordremoth.

tl,dr: healers are worth their weight in WvW and some PvE metas.