NEW COMPUTER, IMPOSSIBLE LAGS WITH GW2 :(

Hello everyone,

I usually play gw2 with a really old computer that has an intel core i7, and integrated graphics card (really nothing special). But I can play really smooty with it.

For xmas I decided to buy a new gaming laptop: Asus Rog Strix G15 with GPU RTX2060, and CPU i7 10th generation, I mean, a really great PC for its specs.

I dowloaded gw2, but I keep have lags that do not allow me to play properly to the game.I tried with both best performance and best appeareance specs (also autodetect), nothing to do.

Anyone is possibly able to give me any suggestion to properly play better with GW2?I do not have any kind of problem on playing other games as per Witcher 3, PSO2, and Destiny 2.

I just have this issue with Gw2 :astonished:

Thanks anyone!

@Hannelore.8153 said:You should try it with dx12pxy addon, which allows you to use DirectX 12. Newer computers are less optimised for older graphics so they can't run older games very well and an upgrade doesn't always do what you expect it will.

I may give a try to it, can u please tell me more about it? What is it? Where can I find it?

Thanks

@Pepsi.3610 said:Hello everyone,For xmas I decided to buy a new gaming laptop: Asus Rog Strix G15 with GPU RTX2060, and CPU i7 10th generation, I mean, a really great PC for its specs.

Just sharing my experiences :

• laptops are a pretty weak machines when we talk about CPUs, because of power consumption and thermals.
  • I7 2.6ghz is slow in comparison to what you get in a PC. The 5ghz hyperboost will not be noticeable for games. Ina desktop I run 5.2ghz in all cores stable in a i7 9th generation. I have seen 10th gen reach 5.6ghz stable.
  • laptop 2060rtx is a 20% slower by design than the desktop counterpart which is not good to start with. Also ASUS is known to under clock their machines to keep the thermals down.

TLDR: a “gaming laptop” is not a gaming pc, its overpriced computer you use when you cant play on a desktop because travelling, so don't expect an amazing performance.

Now, yes GW2 is badly optimized and you can not get over 30fps in busy maps even with the latest most powerful hardware.As other said lag is usually because an slow internet connection.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Pepsi.3610" said:Hello everyone,For xmas I decided to buy a new gaming laptop: Asus Rog Strix G15 with GPU RTX2060, and CPU i7 10th generation, I mean, a really great PC for its specs.

• laptops are a pretty weak machines when we talk about CPUs, because of power consumption and thermals.

Depends, from what I know G17s are holding up pretty well with thermals, but miiiiight be worse with a smaller ones. Doubt that it'd be worse to the point of "lagging" though.

• I7 2.6ghz is slow in comparison to what you get in a PC. The 5ghz hyperboost will not be noticeable for games. Ina desktop I run 5.2ghz in all cores stable in a i7 9th generation. I have seen 10th gen reach 5.6ghz stable.

This is more than enough to run gw2 smoothly. Well... at least for the gw2 standards. It really shouldn't be "lagging" based on his specs. And I'm even more confident of that when OP says he tried with max performance settings.

• laptop 2060rtx is a 20% slower by design than the desktop counterpart which is not good to start with. Also ASUS is known to under clock their machines to keep the thermals down.

...pretty sure they let you overclock it with their own software (but at the same time they obviously tell you they're not responsible for you manually overclocking your device), so I doubt in what you've just said. But if it really is what they're doing, then they also let you easly undo it.

TLDR: a “gaming laptop” is not a gaming pc, its overpriced computer you use when you cant play on a desktop because travelling, so don't expect an amazing performance.

Claiming that a laptop with those specs shouldn't be expected to run gw2 smoothly even when he says he tried lowering the settings "just because it's laptop and not gaming pc" is just false. And OP said he runs other games without that problem.

Overally most of what you've wrote here is false or -at the very least- by far isn't a rule.

OP, make sure you have your drivers updated (because yes, those can cause connection problems in just some of the games you play). Also it's possible that the problem isn't on your end:https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/120062/lag-dc-problem#latest

You say it didn't happen on your old pc. Have you tried launching the game on the new laptop and then right after on the older pc to compare the connectivity at nearly the same time?

• Confused 1

So I'll say that I've player GW2 on at least three different systems since I started and all were far from gaming powerhouses. I started playing when I was in the US, but I moved to Germany a while ago. Even my old crappy laptop will run things fairly smoothly if it doesn't overheat--as long as I'm playing before like 5PM. I get the impression that this may have to do with when people in the Americas are getting up an logging on, because there is a MASSIVE difference in the number of people I see at events.This has definitely been more of an issue in the past year, definitely starting not long after COVID lockdowns started going into effect in the US. In the last month, especially around Christmas and NY when people are home from work and school, it's been REALLY bad. If I really want to get anything on the game done, I make damn sure I do it before 5PM here because after that I start getting massive lag and disconnection issues. When it lags, it seems to lag for everyone, not just me, so I'm guessing it's on the server end. Sometimes it's bad enough that the game flat out won't connect.The GMs asked me to try redownloading the game to fix a story chapter graphic bug, and I made the mistake of starting this at like 6PM. And the later it gets, the longer the DL estimate gets. A little while ago the estimate would have given me a total time of like 14 hours. It took like an hour and a half tops to do the installer and start playing when I ran it the first time on this computer a few weeks ago.Given the specs you've listed, the fact that it seems to largely be an issue when you play GW2, and my own experiences, I'd say the issue isn't really on your end. There are things you can do to speed up the game in general, which some other folks have suggested, and there's no reason you can't do those anyways, but if the problem lies on the server end, you're still likely going to have some issues.

@danfenton.7329 said:So I'll say that I've player GW2 on at least three different systems since I started and all were far from gaming powerhouses. I started playing when I was in the US, but I moved to Germany a while ago. Even my old crappy laptop will run things fairly smoothly if it doesn't overheat--as long as I'm playing before like 5PM. I get the impression that this may have to do with when people in the Americas are getting up an logging on, because there is a MASSIVE difference in the number of people I see at events.This has definitely been more of an issue in the past year, definitely starting not long after COVID lockdowns started going into effect in the US. In the last month, especially around Christmas and NY when people are home from work and school, it's been REALLY bad. If I really want to get anything on the game done, I make kitten sure I do it before 5PM here because after that I start getting massive lag and disconnection issues. When it lags, it seems to lag for everyone, not just me, so I'm guessing it's on the server end. Sometimes it's bad enough that the game flat out won't connect.The GMs asked me to try redownloading the game to fix a story chapter graphic bug, and I made the mistake of starting this at like 6PM. And the later it gets, the longer the DL estimate gets. A little while ago the estimate would have given me a total time of like 14 hours. It took like an hour and a half tops to do the installer and start playing when I ran it the first time on this computer a few weeks ago.Given the specs you've listed, the fact that it seems to largely be an issue when you play GW2, and my own experiences, I'd say the issue isn't really on your end. There are things you can do to speed up the game in general, which some other folks have suggested, and there's no reason you can't do those anyways, but if the problem lies on the server end, you're still likely going to have some issues.

That sounds more like network congestion rather than anything on the server end.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Pepsi.3610" said:Hello everyone,For xmas I decided to buy a new gaming laptop: Asus Rog Strix G15 with GPU RTX2060, and CPU i7 10th generation, I mean, a really great PC for its specs.

Now, yes GW2 is badly optimized and you can not get over 30fps in busy maps even with the latest most powerful hardware.As other said lag is usually because an slow internet connection.

I'm sorry but you clearly haven't kept up with the gaming laptop space very well. First of all, many gaming laptops can run their CPU's at their maximum rated clockspeed. Sometimes you will have to tweak them a bit but the general consesus is that there are many devices on the market in this day and age where both the CPU and GPU can be cooled well and perform as intended.

The 2.6Ghz he mentioned, is clearly the base clock of the CPU. The all core boost of the CPU (i7 10th gen, so it's either the 6 core i7 10750H or the 8 core i7 10850H) is rated at 4.50Ghz, that's only 200Mhz lower than let's say the standard all core boost clock of a desktop i7-10700K. I'm not saying mobile CPU's perform as well as desktop CPU's, I am saying that mobile CPU's can still be very powerful in its own right, probably being able to outperform many CPU's people on this forum use in their desktop.

And yes, the mobile RTX 2060 may be 20% lower in performance compared to its desktop counterpart, that doesn't make it a slow GPU. For 1080P gaming, and especially Guild Wars 2 which would in no way ever saturate a GPU of this calibre, it is more than enough. Here's a YouTube link which shows some benchmarks of the mobile RTX 2060 (and GTX 1660 Ti as well):

Gaming Laptops will always be more expensive than Gaming Desktops, but the big difference is portability. You can use one device to use for work on the go or to travel with, and when you get home you can game on the same device and with that a good gaming experience. 144hz, competent GPU + CPU combos, sometimes even mechanical keyboards, being able to push 120-300fps in competitive FPS titles, being able to run AAA titles on highest settings while maintaining a good framerate on 1080P... Saying that laptops cannot game well or do not offer good performance is a very dated statement.

@"Speedylord.2798" said:I'm not saying mobile CPU's perform as well as desktop CPU's, I am saying that mobile CPU's can still be very powerful in its own right

And yes, the mobile RTX 2060 may be 20% lower in performance compared to its desktop counterpart, that doesn't make it a slow GPU. For 1080P gaming,

Gaming Laptops will always be more expensive than Gaming Desktops, but the big difference is portability.So yeah you agree a "gaming" laptop is not a gaming desktop. When you buy one of those you should be aware of the difference. Those have their use and is when you travel around and don't stay in a place for long. Otherwise i would advise a mini ITX setup which can be pretty portable and connect it to a any TV or monitor.

A gaming laptop is an accessory for your existing gaming rig, not a replacement.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Speedylord.2798" said:I'm not saying mobile CPU's perform as well as desktop CPU's, I am saying that mobile CPU's can still be very powerful in its own right

And yes, the mobile RTX 2060 may be 20% lower in performance compared to its desktop counterpart, that doesn't make it a slow GPU. For 1080P gaming,

Gaming Laptops will always be more expensive than Gaming Desktops, but the big difference is portability.So yeah you agree a "gaming" laptop is not a gaming desktop. When you buy one of those you should be aware of the difference. Those have their use and is when you travel around and don't stay in a place for long. Otherwise i would advise a mini ITX setup which can be pretty portable and connect it to a any TV or monitor.

A gaming laptop is an accessory for your existing gaming rig, not a replacement.

Well yes, a laptop and a desktop, gaming or not, are just different things. Desktops are stationary, laptops are more compact and thus mobile, being able to be used when not plugged in.

Also please stop putting quotation marks on the "gaming" for gaming laptops, many modern gaming laptops can be faster than most people's gaming desktops so just quit it please.

Mini ITX setups are great and compact, but you still cannot get any work done with them when you're in a public place for example. If you're in a business meeting room you're not gonna place a Mini ITX Desktop, keyboard + mouse and monitor on the table. If you're travelling from office to office it can work, but not when you need to do work on the go or when you need to get things done when you simply do not have the space for a setup or do not want to rely on having power sockets and the necessary space available at all times.

Although gaming laptops can be bought as a mobile counterpart for their gaming desktop at home, most people actually buy gaming laptops to have the benefit of a regular laptop (mobility and portability/lightweight, off the wall use) while also having a good gaming experience when you're not travelling, which would not be possible on a regular ultrabook but would be on a (gaming) desktop.Gaming laptops are for people who can benefit from the mobile aspect of it, and would need a good laptop anyway but either 1) cannot afford both a good laptop and desktop 2) do not have the space for a desktop setup 3) simply want to have one solution. There are many more reasons why one would want to look into gaming laptops as a solution but these are just to list a few.

@"Speedylord.2798" said:Well yes, a laptop and a desktop, gaming or not, are just different things. Desktops are stationary, laptops are more compact and thus mobile, being able to be used when not plugged in.

Also please stop putting quotation marks on the "gaming" for gaming laptops, many modern gaming laptops can be faster than most people's gaming desktops so just quit it please.

Mini ITX setups are great and compact, but you still cannot get any work done with them when you're in a public place for example. If you're in a business meeting room you're not gonna place a Mini ITX Desktop, keyboard + mouse and monitor on the table. If you're travelling from office to office it can work, but not when you need to do work on the go or when you need to get things done when you simply do not have the space for a setup or do not want to rely on having power sockets and the necessary space available at all times.

Although gaming laptops can be bought as a mobile counterpart for their gaming desktop at home, most people actually buy gaming laptops to have the benefit of a regular laptop (mobility and portability/lightweight, off the wall use) while also having a good gaming experience when you're not travelling, which would not be possible on a regular ultrabook but would be on a (gaming) desktop.Gaming laptops are for people who can benefit from the mobile aspect of it, and would need a good laptop anyway but either 1) cannot afford both a good laptop and desktop 2) do not have the space for a desktop setup 3) simply want to have one solution. There are many more reasons why one would want to look into gaming laptops as a solution but these are just to list a few.

Agreed, my point is buyers should be aware they are not the same thing and they should not expect same performance. If we can agree on that i don't see any need to keep discussing this point.

@anduriell.6280 said:

@"Speedylord.2798" said:Well yes, a laptop and a desktop, gaming or not, are just different things. Desktops are stationary, laptops are more compact and thus mobile, being able to be used when not plugged in.

Agreed, my point is buyers should be aware they are not the same thing and they should not expect same performance. If we can agree on that i don't see any need to keep discussing this point.

Yes that's exactly it! They are different beasts and each got their own usecases, buyers should decide which solution is best for their usecase:)!

@anduriell.6280 said:

Yes, they should. But most of what you've said in your initial post about laptops automatically having bad thermals, asus underclocking their machines and suggesting OP's specs shouldn't be able to comfortably run gw2 is just false.

• Confused 1

Gaming laptops have come a very long way over the last 5 years, I currently own 2; and with the price gouging of video cards right now prebuilt systems are becoming a more reasonable choice - now that's out of the way: A lot of people have had this discussion multiple times and the conclusion is always the same; Gw2 simply isn't up to par with modern gaming in terms of performance. You can say good bye to your frame rate once other people start piling in. It doesn't matter if you have a Ryzen 9 series, or an I7 10700k. It's not an issue YOU can fix personally outside of running a dx12 addon to help smooth the frame rate.

Your laptop is perfectly fine, I run a gtx1660ti in mine and constantly stay above 100fps until a surge of people comes storming through. Lowering the character model limit will ease this burden, but not eliminate it.

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve been following this thread and there is a major issue with what most are telling the OP, the Op needs to clarify his issue, is the issue actually internet lag or an FPS issue? Many purple seem to confuse the two, while actual internet lag can in some cases effect FPS to a degree FPS can’t effect internet lag! OP please clarify your issue and let’s start this discussion over and help the OP correctly!

I can see 3 possible issues and possible solutions. I believe the corei7 10gen is sufficiently powerful to run GW2 at good settings.

1. Where is GW2 installed. (SSD or Magnetic Drive) GW2 lazy load from GW2.dat (I remember I heard that somewhere before)

Install on SSD.

1. PING. High ping sometimes gives you lag, and impact fps in cases.

Traceroute your ISP to GW2 game servers, and complain to them.. Or use a VPN to get a more optimised route.

1. Software related. I suggest you monitor your CPU and GPU usage and temperature to see if its throttling or underutilized.

Post your FPS, and compare to other people's FPS, so you can gauge your laptop to other systems. And their solutions to get better fps.

@Pepsi.3610 said:

@"Hannelore.8153" said:You should try it with dx12pxy addon, which allows you to use DirectX 12. Newer computers are less optimised for older graphics so they can't run older games very well and an upgrade doesn't always do what you expect it will.

I may give a try to it, can u please tell me more about it? What is it? Where can I find it?

Thanks

You can download gw2 addon manager from here (direct link to donwload to version 1.3)

https://github.com/fmmmlee/GW2-Addon-Manager/releases/download/v1.3.0/GW2-UOAOM-v1.3.0.3.zip

After you download it open it, select the path to you gw2 installation folder, select from the list of mods "dx12pxy" and click the update button. It will improve performance and hugely improve stability. If your problems are Fps drops, they will be fixed 100%, if your lag is ping related, only a new internet connection can fix it.

Good luck